ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The mess that is the Penguins

Brassard for Cole and a 1st rounder. I’m kind of meh on this deal but I like Cole more than I probably should.
Plus Gustavsson.

Huge to pickup Brassard, but our depth on the blueline will be tested and this is a pretty big price to pay. We may have paid more for the Sens to retain some salary.

Didn't really pay that much,they were trying to trade cole for awhile,sheary will be traded for blue line help

McKenzie, Friedman, Lebrun and all of the hockey insiders are saying the Pens and Sens are going to need to bring Vegas in as a third team because of cap reasons. Saying the Pens are losing a 1st round pick, Cole and Gustavsson in order to acquire Brassard.

Gustavsson is a good prospect, but Murray and Jarry are young and DeSmith has emerged as a viable future back up candidate.

My only beef is they keep giving up first round picks, but at least this one will again be at the back half of the first round.

Jim Rutherford is god. Simply put. Fantastic deal. Like Gustavsson, but you got a 2 time Cup winner at 23 and Jarry at 22. So he was expendable. Cole is Cole but you have to give to get. A #30 pick in the 1st rd? Meh.

This is the type of ballsy all in move this franchise makes.

Reactions: CougarClaws
Reported that the league is holding up the Pens trade for Brassard for the moment ..... it apparently involves a 3rd team (Vegas) and Brassard may be traded to them 1st then flipped to the Pens .... ? something about salary cap and/or having multiple layers for salary retention purposes .... I'm not sure what the league doesn't like but they want the teams to restructure the trade ..... I think the trade may still get done but it apparently is complicated and there is something the league doesn't like about the structure of the deal...... this is being reported by Nick Kypreos.

From CapFriendly.com

The max salary a team can retain is 50% & the max number of times a contract can be retained is twice. Theoretical max retained salary scenario for Brassard is therefore: Trade 1: 50% of 5M (2.5M) Trade 2: 50% of 2.5M (1.25M) Final cap hit for #Pittsburgh: $1.25M (Theoretical)

From CapFriendly.com

The max salary a team can retain is 50% & the max number of times a contract can be retained is twice. Theoretical max retained salary scenario for Brassard is therefore: Trade 1: 50% of 5M (2.5M) Trade 2: 50% of 2.5M (1.25M) Final cap hit for #Pittsburgh: $1.25M (Theoretical)
If we can get him for 1.25m next year this trade is a steal.

The #Pens have acquired forward Derick Brassard in a three-team trade with Ottawa & Vegas. PIT also received a 2018 3rd-round draft pick and prospect forward Vincent Dunn from the Sens and prospect forward Tobias Lindberg from the Golden Knights.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired forward Derick Brassard in a three-team trade with the Ottawa Senators and Vegas Golden Knights, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford.

The Penguins also received a 2018 third-round draft pick and prospect forward Vincent Dunn from the Senators; and the Pens also received prospect forward Tobias Lindberg from the Golden Knights.

Pittsburgh traded defenseman Ian Cole, goalie Filip Gustavsson, a 2018 first-round draft pick and a 2019 third-round selection to the Senators.

The Penguins sent forward Ryan Reaves and a 2018 fourth-round draft pick originally acquired from Vancouver to the Golden Knights. Vegas is also retaining 40% of Brassard's salary this season.

Brassard is signed through the 2018-19 season, and he carries an average annual value of $5 million.

Actually, it will be more like 3, but that's probably why we're getting the picks and prospects back in return
Scratch that - Ottawa is also retaining 18% of his salary, so the cap hit should be what, like 2.1? Better team this year and next now. Dear lord this trade looks better and better. You sly dog you GMJR

Reactions: Jpripper88
Brassard makes us better.

Reaves doesn’t
Bummer to lose Cole . But that was fait accompli all season
I really like what he did here. It makes the team better in the short AND long term. Cole will sting, but he was gone for nothing next year anyway. Fingers crossed for no long term injuries on the blue line, but this is more than enough to win it again and without really mortgaging the future for it? Yes please

Wow. I hate losing Cole and Gustavsson looks like a better G than either Jarry or DeSmith and even a #30 draft pick is a loss but you have to pay to play and this looks like a solid trade to me. This is looking like a deal where all 3 teams win in long run and short run. The Pens have become one of the best organizations in sports. We've come a long way from the Jan Hlinka days.

Wow. I hate losing Cole and Gustavsson looks like a better G than either Jarry or DeSmith and even a #30 draft pick is a loss but you have to pay to play and this looks like a solid trade to me. This is looking like a deal where all 3 teams win in long run and short run. The Pens have become one of the best organizations in sports. We've come a long way from the Jan Hlinka days.

Ivan Hlinka. Here is exactly what the Pirates would do. They wouldn't make a move, they would continue to hold on to Gustavsson, even though they have two goalies 23 years old or younger, and they would have all these fanboy geeks create "Penguins Prospects" websites, and the fans would be so excited for 2023, always being sold next year and the year after.
Gustavsson was an asset, but one in a position that is stacked with good young assets. So you use him to make THIS year's team better and NEXT year's while you still have a great core of players.

As for the #1, yes this will eventually catch up with us. But eventually Sid and Geno will get old. They aren't now. That #1 in a relatively weak draft year, will likely be around 30 or higher. There is more of a chance this pick will be an Angelo Esposito more than it will be a Jake Guentzel cause it is a crap shoot. Especially in this draft year.

What a great move, and they have Brassard next year. This WILL mark the end of Patric Hornquist here after this year. So be it. The Pens are stacked with young wingers, and this is the time where you have to go with the younger and more affordable replacements to impending free agents.

I like the trades because it looks like they have addressed our most important need to make another Stanley Cup run, a really good 3rd line center ..... Brassard should provide that need.... we are going to have 3 lines that can score and defend and a 4th line that is pretty good in their own right.

We are set in goal.

The trade did leave us a little short on defense depth ...... I would like to see another move to obtain that depth on defense with an NHL caliber player ..... if so, we will be a really tough out.

What I like most about this deal: put Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel together and you have a new HBK line :)

But also the fact that Reaves didn’t fit our “four lines of speed and scoring” mentality. He was a cool guy to follow but I didn’t like the move when it happened and I’m happy he’s going to Vegas.

This trade is fantastic for the Pens. Brassard on contract next season is a plus, and Vegas paying 2 out of the 5 million cap hit is a huge plus. Cole was UFA and Pens will pick up another D man before trade deadline. Pretty unreal what Rutherford has done since he has been the GM. I dont give him all the credit though cause that should go to the owners willing to spend $$$$$$$$$.

This trade is fantastic for the Pens. Brassard on contract next season is a plus, and Vegas paying 2 out of the 5 million cap hit is a huge plus. Cole was UFA and Pens will pick up another D man before trade deadline. Pretty unreal what Rutherford has done since he has been the GM. I dont give him all the credit though cause that should go to the owners willing to spend $$$$$$$$$.

There is a cap. Rutherford definitely deserves the credit because he is making these trades while the Pens are up against the cap and he is showing creativity in able to being able to close and complete. Perhaps Rutherford should be the recruiting coordinator for both the football and basketball team.

Jarry is in. No Brassard. Back 2 Back Road Games .
Hagelin has been playin well.
Phil Bourque likes the cycle the Pens play.
Geno is playin as well as he did 8 years ago.

Jarry is in. No Brassard. Back 2 Back Road Games .
Hagelin has been playin well.
Phil Bourque likes the cycle the Pens play.
Geno is playin as well as he did 8 years ago.
Jarry no good tonight and Murray has to come in on his off night.

Scratch that - Ottawa is also retaining 18% of his salary, so the cap hit should be what, like 2.1? Better team this year and next now. Dear lord this trade looks better and better. You sly dog you GMJR
Yeah, the salary for next year is awesome. Awful lot to give up for him, though. That Reaves trade is still so freaking bad. It is almost like GMJR thought he had to make one terrible trade, so folks still thought they might be able to rip him off. Reaves essentially cost us a 2017 1st and 2018 3rd and all we got was Tobias Lindstrom. Yuck.

Would be great to be able to upgrade at D from Hunwick, but they should at least be able to do that this offseason since they save so much on Brassard. They can bring back the exact same team next year with room to resign Hornqvist and get a solid 2nd pair D, especially if they trade Sheary or Hagelin.

Reactions: MyNameisJoe
Yeah, the salary for next year is awesome. Awful lot to give up for him, though. That Reaves trade is still so freaking bad. It is almost like GMJR thought he had to make one terrible trade, so folks still thought they might be able to rip him off. Reaves essentially cost us a 2017 1st and 2018 3rd and all we got was Tobias Lindstrom. Yuck.

Would be great to be able to upgrade at D from Hunwick, but they should at least be able to do that this offseason since they save so much on Brassard. They can bring back the exact same team next year with room to resign Hornqvist and get a solid 2nd pair D, especially if they trade Sheary or Hagelin.

They will get another D man. However after tonight, and the Matt Hunwick show, they may have to shoot higher than they wanted on the trade market.

They’re better off using a call up than Hunwick. When you have Letang, Dumolin, Shultz, Matta and Oleksiak you need a guy who can just accumulate minutes without being noticed or pooping the bed. Hunwick clearly cannot accomplish that.

They’re better off using a call up than Hunwick. When you have Letang, Dumolin, Shultz, Matta and Oleksiak you need a guy who can just accumulate minutes without being noticed or pooping the bed. Hunwick clearly cannot accomplish that.

Ruhwedel should be back soon but we need another NHL caliber D-man who can play for depth.

Reactions: Jakey_John
What was Vegas' motivation in eating all that salary? Don't understand that. Future considerations? A late payoff somehow related to Fleury?
They wanted to be nice guys? Rutherford has photos of their GM in compromising situations with a goat?
I mean, it doesn't make a lot of sense, they got very little in this deal and seemed to give back a lot of $$$. Reaves and a 4th round pick for all that cash doesn't make any sense.

What was Vegas' motivation in eating all that salary? Don't understand that. Future considerations? A late payoff somehow related to Fleury?
They wanted to be nice guys? Rutherford has photos of their GM in compromising situations with a goat?
I mean, it doesn't make a lot of sense, they got very little in this deal and seemed to give back a lot of $$$. Reaves and a 4th round pick for all that cash doesn't make any sense.
Beautiful collusion.

Vegas is not sure what they’re going to do in the offseason either. Originally the plan was going to be to sell at the deadline and build for the future but then all of the success happened.

A few things at play here....

1) Vegas wanted to keep Brassard out of the West, especially Winnipeg
2) The West, especially Anaheim is much tougher and they coveted Reaves
3) Supposedly, as a result of the Marc Andre Fleury involvement, Vegas agreed to "future considerations" that the Pens called in that chip for this trade to come through.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
A few things at play here....

1) Vegas wanted to keep Brassard out of the West, especially Winnipeg
2) The West, especially Anaheim is much tougher and they coveted Reaves
3) Supposedly, as a result of the Marc Andre Fleury involvement, Vegas agreed to "future considerations" that the Pens called in that chip for this trade to come through.
#3 is the other thing that really makes sense here. #1 is absurd and idiotic if they really have that as motivation. They made a move to significantly help a contender so they could avoid the possibility of Winnipeg being better 1 round earlier? Hopefully for Vegas, that was just an excuse to cover for #3.

#3 is the other thing that really makes sense here. #1 is absurd and idiotic if they really have that as motivation. They made a move to significantly help a contender so they could avoid the possibility of Winnipeg being better 1 round earlier? Hopefully for Vegas, that was just an excuse to cover for #3.
I agree with this, but what did the Penguins do with regard to Fluery to earn "considerations"? They had a choice to protect Fluery or Murray and chose Murray. They were trapped in that decision so what did they do that was so helpful to Vegas other than doing what they had to do?

I agree with this, but what did the Penguins do with regard to Fluery to earn "considerations"? They had a choice to protect Fluery or Murray and chose Murray. They were trapped in that decision so what did they do that was so helpful to Vegas other than doing what they had to do?
It might have been that they passed up a trade of Fluery in order to leave him available to Vegas and be their selection. I still think that is doubtful, but at least it would somewhat explain the crazy decision by Vegas to essentially pay $3M and Lindstrom for Ryan Reaves and a 4th round pick.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
It might have been that they passed up a trade of Fluery in order to leave him available to Vegas and be their selection. I still think that is doubtful, but at least it would somewhat explain the crazy decision by Vegas to essentially pay $3M and Lindstrom for Ryan Reaves and a 4th round pick.
I wouldn't put it past Rutherford to have bluffed Vegas into believing this in order to extract something extra from them in the Fleury situation, even if it was BS!

Rutherford has proven to be a magician in regards to handling trades and owning other GM's!
The Scuderi deal made a believer out of me, then adding Kessel to the roster was insane! Now Brassard added to a club virtually AT the cap!
Bet he'll add a defenseman before the day is over, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's a pretty good one at that!

He was the Pens goalie when I was an undergrad at Pitt, and we went to a lot of games back then. While he was an overall loser as a goalie, he is sure making up for it as an executive! He's stolen more than his share of wins!

Well they were in talks with the Pens on Reaves a week before...so that is not that far fetched.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT