ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The mess that is the Penguins

Well, the greatest player in the game was on display in Philly today, and..............

It sure as hell WASN'T Claude Giroux! LOL

Massive performance early in this game by Murray to keep it scoreless. The Flyers came out ready and MM stonewalled them until the Pens found their game.

Absolutely, Murray was really good the entire game but HUGE in that 1st period .... BIG part of the win !

That was awesome. Completely outplayed by the Flyers in Period 1. Murray was fantastic. Someone said "you have Murray posters in your room"...........OK, so what? He is such a gamer and a winner. And saying that is not a slight on any other goalie including Marc Andre Fleury.

But 3 years now, 3 playoffs and Murray responds.

But so does Sidney Crosby. LOL.....I just want the Flyer fans to continue to taunt him. That works so well. Sid is just...well the best. That is the difference, he does these things. The Geno goal? Just special talent.

We are so lucky to enjoy and watch this stuff. So lucky.

But it i also one game. Game 4 certainly is huge for the Flyers, they lose, and it likely won't be going back to Philly. I think alot of Philly's young talent, they are really going to be good, but they don't have a Sid, a Geno, a Murray on their team.

That was awesome. Completely outplayed by the Flyers in Period 1. Murray was fantastic. Someone said "you have Murray posters in your room"...........OK, so what? He is such a gamer and a winner. And saying that is not a slight on any other goalie including Marc Andre Fleury.

But 3 years now, 3 playoffs and Murray responds.

But so does Sidney Crosby. LOL.....I just want the Flyer fans to continue to taunt him. That works so well. Sid is just...well the best. That is the difference, he does these things. The Geno goal? Just special talent.

We are so lucky to enjoy and watch this stuff. So lucky.

But it i also one game. Game 4 certainly is huge for the Flyers, they lose, and it likely won't be going back to Philly. I think alot of Philly's young talent, they are really going to be good, but they don't have a Sid, a Geno, a Murray on their team.
I said it
Murray was sub average , like the regular season in game two.

He was good in games 1 snd 3

Crosby owns philly

Murray very sharp

The announcers mentioned it this afternoon during the game.

Once Crosby grew up and stopped throwing a "fit" everytime he got "roughed" up that's when he took title to Philly.

Over the years he and the rest of the PENS learned how to take a beating and win the fight with skill! Roll the tape of the Columbus playoff game last year. Although the Flyers aren't the butt kickers that they used to be!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

The announcers mentioned it this afternoon during the game.

Once Crosby grew up and stopped throwing a "fit" everytime he got "roughed" up that's when he took title to Philly.

Over the years he and the rest of the PENS learned how to take a beating and win the fight with skill! Roll the tape of the Columbus playoff game last year. Although the Flyers aren't the butt kickers that they used to be!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

No, you discussing hockey stuff would be like me discussing Jimmy Buffet's best album,.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
No, you discussing hockey stuff would be like me discussing Jimmy Buffet's best album,.

That's true!

Love the sport, Mrs Buffett and I get Center Ice to watch every PENS game but I'm not exactly an expert hockey analyst!

Back when I first started watching hockey when our first kid went to PITT I thought the Blue Line was a commuter train????

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Big game James Neal with a massive goal for Vegas tonight. Somehow they go up 3-0 with Quick being the best player on the ice this series.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Good one!

If Elliot keeps playing like this, and I hope so, in Philly they'll have to give him a disguise, put him in the witness protection program, and relocate him to the country of his choice.
KGrHqZqgFF5ClCvC6BRm04hr7Q60_12_zpsc4fe5f8a.jpg

Go PITT& CSU Rams!

Washington drops 2 at home to Columbus. If they lose one of the next two in Columbus, doubt they recover.
That would mark the end of the Ovechkin/Oche window.
Would rather if they saved their annual swoon for the potential Penguin series. Looking like Penguin/Blue Jacket series. Pens do well against Columbus #1 goalie.

Washington drops 2 at home to Columbus. If they lose one of the next two in Columbus, doubt they recover.
That would mark the end of the Ovechkin/Oche window.
Would rather if they saved their annual swoon for the potential Penguin series. Looking like Penguin/Blue Jacket series. Pens do well against Columbus #1 goalie.

Yeah, that was a great game to watch. The Caps are in real trouble now. I am not sure if they have the mettle to mount a comeback. And if they go out in the first rd to Columbus, I think Trotz gets fired and some form of this team is dismantled because it is not working. They have talent, but it is not working.

On another note, I am getting tired of the Vegas thing. It is really not fair how the NHL expansion draft rules gave them such a team. Though I give them credit, and it is ironic that GM George McPhee drafted almost strictly veterans with the hopes of parlaying guys like James Neal and William Karlsson into high draft picks or prospects at the trade deadline and then well, this happened.

He was great in games 1 and 3.

Well definitely great in period 1 yesterday when the Flyers were assaulting the Pens and the Pens were trying to find their legs. I don't like getting all caught up in pure numbers, you goaltend behind the Penguins, it is different than say playing behind the Kings or other defensive minded teams. But sometimes you need to step up and steal one, and Murray in period 1 did that. And to be honest, Elliott did that for Philly in Game 2.

Yeah, that was a great game to watch. The Caps are in real trouble now. I am not sure if they have the mettle to mount a comeback. And if they go out in the first rd to Columbus, I think Trotz gets fired and some form of this team is dismantled because it is not working. They have talent, but it is not working.

On another note, I am getting tired of the Vegas thing. It is really not fair how the NHL expansion draft rules gave them such a team. Though I give them credit, and it is ironic that GM George McPhee drafted almost strictly veterans with the hopes of parlaying guys like James Neal and William Karlsson into high draft picks or prospects at the trade deadline and then well, this happened.
Except everyone was still saying it was a bottom 5 team going into the season. Man, did they prove people wrong. They will have lots of cap room this year and hopefully for them they are starting their franchise with a deep playoff run. I imagine they will be heavy competition in the college FA market, too.

Except everyone was still saying it was a bottom 5 team going into the season. Man, did they prove people wrong. They will have lots of cap room this year and hopefully for them they are starting their franchise with a deep playoff run. I imagine they will be heavy competition in the college FA market, too.

Most places in town had their O/U season point total around 68, which was the lowest in the league.

The books will get absolutely slaughtered if they somehow win the Cup, with some places losing 7 figures. There is so little action on hockey, but what was wagered over the season seems to be all on the local team. One guy on the radio said Vegas winning the Pacific cost the book $250k in futures, which is a ridiculous amount for some random hockey prop.

Game 6 seals our fate. If we lose, I think Philly wins in 7 but even if we survive, this team needed this to be a short series IMO. They blew it big time tonight. Need to come out blazing on Sunday.

This team needed a short series. Can’t afford to let a team like the Flyers take you to 6/7.

The first PP unit has been abysmal this series. They are 5 for 24, but one of those was scored by the 2nd unit and 3 were in one game. Have also given up a short handed goal

They are taking a minute to get in the zone and get set up. That 4 on 3 shorty cost them this game.

Pens played sloppy and tried to be too fancy......too much passing on the PP and the game in general. Get the puck to the net and go for rebounds..

Even with that they generally took the game to the flyers and they flyers got two goals on luck bounces. I thought it looked like letang actually hit the puck into the net on the second goal

Pens will win the next one for sure Flyers are outclassed

Pens played sloppy and tried to be too fancy......too much passing on the PP and the game in general. Get the puck to the net and go for rebounds..

Even with that they generally took the game to the flyers and they flyers got two goals on luck bounces. I thought it looked like letang actually hit the puck into the net on the second goal

No offense, but given your history, I’d feel better if you were predicting Pens to choke the last two away.

I feel the series will go 7 now. I do not think the Pens will win all 3 in philly, so I expect a game 7. I think the Pens win in 7 but going 7 will hurt their chances long term

Regarding Game 5 .....

- Pens didn't play real well in the 1st period but had a ton of scoring chances in the 2nd and 3rd periods and just could not bury the puck.

- The Pens power play was terrible .... 0 for 5 ..... they passed the puck around and just did not put enough shots on goal ...... the PP really misses Hornqvist's net front presence ..... they need to shoot the puck more and have someone in front of the net.

- The shorthanded goal by the Flyers completely changed the momentum of the game .... what a terrible cross ice pass at the blue line by Kessel which led to the shorthanded goal.

- The Flyers are playing more physical and I think it is helping them (48 to 25 in hits in the Flyers favor).

- Letang was a -3 and on the ice for all 4 goals I believe and Malkin, Crosby, and Kessel were all a -2 ....... the stars were not the stars last night.

- I didn't think Murray was bad ..... on the 1st goal the Pens left Giroux wide open at the right hash marks and when he got a quick pass from behind the net, he ripped a shot in high up before Murray could get out in position to stop it (not really Murray's fault), the 3rd goal was deflected off Dumoulin, changed directions, and can't blame Murray too much for the goal .... the 2nd goal (shorthanded one), however, Murray did lose control of the rebound and the Flyer hit it through the 5 hole (Murray would like to have that one back) ..... bottom line though was that Neuvirth outplayed Murray.

Game 6 in Philly should be a good one ......

Regarding Game 5 .....

- Pens didn't play real well in the 1st period but had a ton of scoring chances in the 2nd and 3rd periods and just could not bury the puck.

- The Pens power play was terrible .... 0 for 5 ..... they passed the puck around and just did not put enough shots on goal ...... the PP really misses Hornqvist's net front presence ..... they need to shoot the puck more and have someone in front of the net.

- The shorthanded goal by the Flyers completely changed the momentum of the game .... what a terrible cross ice pass at the blue line by Kessel which led to the shorthanded goal.

- The Flyers are playing more physical and I think it is helping them (48 to 25 in hits in the Flyers favor).

- Letang was a -3 and on the ice for all 4 goals I believe and Malkin, Crosby, and Kessel were all a -2 ....... the stars were not the stars last night.

- I didn't think Murray was bad ..... on the 1st goal the Pens left Giroux wide open at the right hash marks and when he got a quick pass from behind the net, he ripped a shot in high up before Murray could get out in position to stop it (not really Murray's fault), the 3rd goal was deflected off Dumoulin, changed directions, and can't blame Murray too much for the goal .... the 2nd goal (shorthanded one), however, Murray did lose control of the rebound and the Flyer hit it through the 5 hole (Murray would like to have that one back) ..... bottom line though was that Neuvirth outplayed Murray.

Game 6 in Philly should be a good one ......
As you said, Hornquist is such a big part of what they do, especially on the PP. Players get preoccupied with him and that opens space for the sharpshooters. He's there to clean up the garbage.

It wasn't their night. Passes were off, lots of posts and near misses, and the save on Crosby just before the end of regulation was a dagger.

Pittsburgh clearly better than Philly, when they get rolling they lap the flyers.

Kessel still doesn't look right, like someone said previously, he may not be 100%. Just isn't as crisp and fast, isn't shooting.
They'll handle Philly and thankfully Capitals/BlueJackets are likely going 7 as well to even the fatigue factor.

.... and to clarify ..... Neuvirth did give up a soft goal and a semi-soft one but made several outstanding, high quality, high danger saves that kept the Flyers in the game and overall, I thought Neuvirth outplayed Murray in this game.

As you said, Hornquist is such a big part of what they do, especially on the PP. Players get preoccupied with him and that opens space for the sharpshooters. He's there to clean up the garbage.

It wasn't their night. Passes were off, lots of posts and near misses, and the save on Crosby just before the end of regulation was a dagger.

Pittsburgh clearly better than Philly, when they get rolling they lap the flyers.

Kessel still doesn't look right, like someone said previously, he may not be 100%. Just isn't as crisp and fast, isn't shooting.
They'll handle Philly and thankfully Capitals/BlueJackets are likely going 7 as well to even the fatigue factor.

Agree, Kessel looks like he is playing hurt but that ill advised cross ice pass at the blue line on the PP which led to the shorthanded goal was a mental error.

Yep, way too fancy and enamored with their talent on the PP last night.

My analysis of the game is simple. The Pens just missed a ton of opportunities. They were just off last night, maybe a little bit of complacency. It's OK and a wake up call for next game. Pens close it out tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT