ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The mess that is the Penguins

Just hoping there's a few more gears to shift to. They'll need them. As it turns out, I went to the only game in the series won by the home team. Just a crazy series.

Need to get Malkin and Hagelin healthy for Round #2.

Absolutely..... Sheehan was great in Game 6 but he is obviously no Malkin. But Sheehan playing like that gives them big time depth and gives Sullivan options with the lines.

Guentzel is just unreal playoff time. That kid knows how to find the back of the net.

Overall, solid game for most part. Not perfect either so they have some things to tighten up. Murray had some big saves but let it a few bad goals. Letang was his typical self... Makes a great play followed by a WTF is he doing type play.

Round 2 will be much tougher regardless of whether it is Columbus or more likely Washington.

I think they can clearly beat both teams though if they play their game.

It shouldn't come down to a one goal difference when the PENS play the Flyers.

Even the announcers stated the PENS are faster, and more talented but the Flyers are out hustling the PENS and it looks like they want it more than the PENS. I agree with that! It was a sports Philly channel that we watched when Mrs Buffett and I were in Atlantic City but it looked like the Flyers outhustled the PENS for sure!

The PENS should blow these bums off the ice but they're not!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Your hockey takes are horrible. Just sayin'...

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Thoughts? We beat the Flyers, and that is always a great thing. Always. And we beat them there. I truly think this team loves shoving it up the orange wearing arses more than they do winning at hime.

When Giroux plastered Hagelin and Kessel went after Giroux, I texted a buddy "now we finally got Pens/Flyers".

-Sid is a stone cold killer when it comes to the Flyers. He just rips their heart out time and time again.
-Guentzel regaining his 2017 playoff scoring touch couldnt come at a better or more needed time, with Kessel obviously hurting.
-The Pens scored 8 goals without Geno Malkin
- Matt Murray was horrible. This was a game won in spite of him. Most of the goals he let in yesterday were just not good goals. I trust he will play better.
-Sheahan really stepped it up yesterday and was good all series long.
-The Flyers defense was a hot mess, the Pens just surgically went through there most of the time. Except on the PP. Which shows the Pens have a bad habit of trying to overcomplicate things on the PP looking for the perfect set up instead of just moving to open areas and not over passing the puck.
-Mad props to Sean Couturier, what a great and gutty performance, he can play for my team any time.
-Hopefully Malkin and Hagelin can make it back for the next game.
-Here's hoping the Caps/Jackets go 7 which would likely push the start of the next series to Friday
-The NHL officiating remains, curious.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Your hockey takes are horrible. Just sayin'...

I know!

But there must be a top, middle, and bottom for everything.

When it comes to hockey analysis I'm the top of the bottom! Maybe the middle of the bottom or even the bottom of the bottom.

Just be happy people like myself are here since it makes your commentary necessary and more valuable!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

This worries me. How long can the Capitals remain the Penguins bitches? 10 series against each other in the playoffs and Pens have won 9. Murray will need to play a lot better in this series.

Now the good news. Every Cup Pittsburgh has won included a series win against the Capitals.

Pens in 7.

Reactions: Ski11585
This worries me. How long can the Capitals remain the Penguins bitches? 10 series against each other in the playoffs and Pens have won 9. Murray will need to play a lot better in this series.

Now the good news. Every Cup Pittsburgh has won included a series win against the Capitals.

Pens in 7.

That's BOTH ends of the spectrum for me also.

1) The law of averages you would think would eventually go in the Caps favor. Though as a Steeler fan I am still waiting for this to happen with the Patriots.

2) But as much as I fear the law of averages, regression to the mean, whatever you want to call it, it is also absolutely uncanny how the Pens five cup wins have all involved a series win against the Caps.

The law of averages only applies to random events. There is nothing random about the Pencaps. Its about Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin vs Ciccirelli, Iafrate, Ovechkin. With thinhs like this rivalry and also with Pitt football, history can be a head wind or a tail wind. When failure gets into your DNA, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

The law of averages only applies to random events. There is nothing random about the Pencaps. Its about Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin vs Ciccirelli, Iafrate, Ovechkin. With thinhs like this rivalry and also with Pitt football, history can be a head wind or a tail wind. When failure gets into your DNA, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

In all of these 5 series the Pens beat the Caps on the way to the Cup, the Caps were pretty damn even with the Pens as far as an overall team. This is not like it is Alabama vs Vanderbilt.

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 2 - Game 1 ..... Pens/Caps coming up in about an hour and a half .....

A few thoughts .....

- Pens have to stay away from any stupid penalties ..... the Caps power play is on fire and Hagelin is one of our best penalty killers and of course he is out..... Malkin being out hurts our power play.

- Especially with Malkin and Hagelin out in Game 1, we have to be able to roll four lines and get production from all four lines.

- The battle of goalies is going to be big ..... Murray is going to have to play at a high level consistently ..... Holtby should be better then any of the Flyers goalies (although Holtby hasn't played well against the Pens in the playoffs).

- I think we need to exploit the Caps defense, get pucks behind them and go to work.

- Need to get Malkin and Hagelin back sooner then later (looks like Malkin may be back for Game 2, Hagelin looks to be out longer).

- I expect a tough, hard fought series .... I'm concerned this could be the end for the Pens this year, hope I'm wrong !

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 2 - Game 1 ..... Pens/Caps coming up in about an hour and a half .....

A few thoughts .....

- Pens have to stay away from any stupid penalties ..... the Caps power play is on fire and Hagelin is one of our best penalty killers and of course he is out..... Malkin being out hurts our power play.

- Especially with Malkin and Hagelin out in Game 1, we have to be able to roll four lines and get production from all four lines.

- The battle of goalies is going to be big ..... Murray is going to have to play at a high level consistently ..... Holtby should be better then any of the Flyers goalies (although Holtby hasn't played well against the Pens in the playoffs).

- I think we need to exploit the Caps defense, get pucks behind them and go to work.

- Need to get Malkin and Hagelin back sooner then later (looks like Malkin may be back for Game 2, Hagelin looks to be out longer).

- I expect a tough, hard fought series .... I'm concerned this could be the end for the Pens this year, hope I'm wrong !

Honestly, the #1 thing that I am most concerned in this series is simply the Law of Probabilities. This isn't Alabama vs say Vanderbilt where a team has such an overwhelming talent advantage over the other. These teams have been fairly evenly matched, even back in the 90's for such a lopsided advantage.

That being said, the thing that is obviously most concerning is the health of Malkin.

Murray can't play like he did in the regular season, he must play at a .920plus save percentage, not a .910 or lower.

What is weird, if everyone is healthy, this Pens team is definitely better than the Caps, which was not necessarily the case the past two years. The Caps aren't as deep as they were.

Tonight's game is complete gravy. Without Malkin, if the Pens lose no big deal. If they win, it will be major pucker time already in DC.

Three keys.

1) Murray has to steal a game in this series which he has shown he can do
2) Letang has to play better and more consistent. Need the 2016 playoff Letang
3) Derrick Brassard needs to step up and score some of those big Bonino goals

Another great save by Holtby on Simon ! ..... Pens with some chances but can't bury one.

Pens need to tighten up the defense and start to bury some of their chances ... they are getting some chances.

Caps killed the penalty ..... Pens have to get traffic in front of the net on the PP and get shots on net.

Letang gets caught up ice leading to a 2 on 1 for the Caps .... Ovechkin scores over Murray's glove hand ..... Pens down 2-0, early 3rd period.

Two quick goals by the Pens ..... nice deflection goal by Hornqvist and nice pass Guentzel to Crosby who buries it ....... 2-2, 3rd period ....... keep it tight defensively and convert on opportunities.....

That was an extremely weak call on Guentzel. Where’s the embellishment call there?

True but I thought Letang did the exact same thing and could have been called for embellishment as well on the high stick called against the Caps..... at least the refs were consistent.

Last edited:
What a blast. Sid and Murray rise up. Man......I don't know what to say except this group knows how to win and more importantly, doesn't panic when down.

This was gravy tonight.

Reactions: Jakey_John
ADVERTISEMENT