ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The only downside to this amazing run

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
At least for me personally, is that my father wasn’t alive to see it. Passed away last December just a few days after the big win over #2 Miami. He was a huge Pitt fan for over 50 years and got to see the best of best play. He was a “I'll believe it when I see it” type of guy but he always held out some hope that a season like this would come along sooner than later. To think he missed it by one year!

I’m sure he’s looking down and smiling at all of this. Man, I sure do miss him.

At least for me personally, is that my father wasn’t alive to see it. Passed away last December just a few days after the big win over #2 Miami. He was a huge Pitt fan for over 50 years and got to see the best of best play. He was a “I'll believe it when I see it” type of guy but he always held out some hope that a season like this would come along sooner than later. To think he missed it by one year!

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Thank you for some of these responses. Things get better with time, thankfully. One of the things we bonded the most over was Pitt football. I grew up going to games with him and the last couple years we got to go on some roadtrips together. This special season is for all of our loved ones who aren’t here to see it.

Thank you for some of these responses. Things get better with time, thankfully. One of the things we bonded the most over was Pitt football. I grew up going to games with him and the last couple years we got to go on some roadtrips together. This special season is for all of our loved ones who aren’t here to see it.

Stories like yours warm my heart. I wish every child could experience the special relationship that you and your dad shared. Sadly, many do not. May your dad rest in peace.

I understand your feelings. My dad and I were closer than two coats of paint. My son was three weeks old when Pitt won their last championship. He'll be 43 in Dec. Sure would like to see another one with him, my other son, and my grandkids. God bless you and Happy Thanksgiving...H2P

I attended every single Pitt basketball game with my father for more than 15 years, including some really lean seasons. He passed right before the Howland hiring and I often think about how amazed he would’ve been at Pitt winning Big East titles and being ranked #1 in the country.

As a father hearing your memories are touching. I hope he knew how much you loved him and how much of an impact he made on your life. I hope I can make the same type of memories and impact on my children. Happy Holidays to you and your family and keep Hailing for him!!!!

Sorry for your lost. Your dad lives on through you and I'm sure he's looking down and smiling.

Thank you for sharing your story. I very much agree and am in the same boat; my father passed in Sept. 2015 very unexpectedly in an accident; he taught me and brought me into my fandom for the Pitt Panthers. Obviously you think about a lost loved one, particularly a mom or dad often, but with football season, I especially think of my father. He would be “tickled” by the way the Panthers responded after some early season adversity.

Here’s to you carrying on the Pitt tradition!

H2P!!

As a father hearing your memories are touching. I hope he knew how much you loved him and how much of an impact he made on your life. I hope I can make the same type of memories and impact on my children. Happy Holidays to you and your family and keep Hailing for him!!!!

I’m glad a father chimed in with his perspective. May dad is older now and we watch CFB together almost every Saturday. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

My dad passed 3 years ago this coming January and he is the one that made me a Pitt fan, but not how you would think. He was always a casual sports fan, Steelers, Pirates and mostly Penguins and not much of a college sports guy, but he had a white Pitt thermal shirt with the crawling Panther over the block letters that I thought was the coolest thing. I can't really remember how old I was, probably 5 or younger (I'm 35 now), but I loved that logo and was a fan ever since. The shirt is probably long gone, but I still hold hope that is stuffed away somewhere we haven't looked yet.

My dad passed 3 years ago this coming January and he is the one that made me a Pitt fan, but not how you would think. He was always a casual sports fan, Steelers, Pirates and mostly Penguins and not much of a college sports guy, but he had a white Pitt thermal shirt with the crawling Panther over the block letters that I thought was the coolest thing. I can't really remember how old I was, probably 5 or younger (I'm 35 now), but I loved that logo and was a fan ever since. The shirt is probably long gone, but I still hold hope that is stuffed away somewhere we haven't looked yet.
I’m sorry for your loss Rab. Funny, I have a similar memory. Most of my childhood (as far as I could remember) was with the navy/vegas and the dinocat. Then one day I found one of his old college sweaters in his closet. Bright blue and gold with a giant Pitt script on it. I was hooked from there on.

My dad’s only sin was that he actually preferred the block Pitt and the current color scheme. To each his own. :)

Reactions: rab7607

Similar situation with my father. He was a Pitt grad and season ticket holder for many years- I grew up going to games with him back in the mid 70’s through late 80s... before I went to college.

Things do get a little better with time, but like me, you probably have a hole that you will never fill. That’s when you know you had a heck of a dad. I still miss him dearly and try very hard to be there for my kids the way he was there for me and I try to help create wonderful memories the way he created them for me. God do I still miss him.

I hope you continue to think about all of the wonderful moments and memories you and your dad shared and talk about them to other loved ones... especially your children (should you have them). We may never feel we can be special in the same way our dad was, but we can try to be special in our own way... helping to creating wonderful new memories for those we love. God bless you.

Last edited:
I have similar feelings about my father when I was a boy he took me to my first Pitt game v USC at Pitt stadium and I was hooked for life. I remember Billy Daniels was quarterback and Pitt lost 14-7. We went to many games until he recently passed away. We went win or lose. It was special to go to games with my father. Now my sons are PItt fans and enjoy going to the games. It was great hearing the above stories. H2P!

I have similar feelings about my father when I was a boy he took me to my first Pitt game v USC at Pitt stadium and I was hooked for life. I remember Billy Daniels was quarterback and Pitt lost 14-7. We went to many games until he recently passed away. We went win or lose. It was special to go to games with my father. Now my sons are PItt fans and enjoy going to the games. It was great hearing the above stories. H2P!

My mom went into labor on the way to that game and I was born in Bloomfield. The tickets are unused in the my baby book. I have the game program hanging in my pitt man cave. I have gone to many games with them since. they retired to Erie and watch all the games we text during them. My mom texts me after touchdowns . Some things were meant to be and I love pitt dearly. The win against wake last week made me well up as I laid tile in my cabin in utah watching the game. My gf knows how important pitt is to me and my family. She now bleeds blue and gold

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Sorry to hear this hits home as well. My uncle bought my first ticket for me 2001 UAB then be was the one getting season tickets ever since. During summer 0f 2017 at 46 he had a stroke/heart attack, lost use of his entire right side, and speech for the most part and will spend the rest of his days in a nursing home. My father has been out my life since grade school so anything I like, hobbies, movies, sports etc was because of my uncle, he's still with us so understanding not in the same realm as losing your father, but past two years sitting in his old seat for every home game while I know he's in bed somewhere maybe watching the game if he can remeber it's even on, just tears me up he wasn't there with me at Wake to see that game, he loved to travel to away games even if it wasn't Pitt playing. I know your father is watching this team and you and your family.

ADVERTISEMENT