ADVERTISEMENT

OT:The Open (may contain spoilers)

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
well, any fans of Phil or Rory can probably quit watching.

If the weather's bad there will probably be a medium to long shot winner, and it'll most likely be a Euro golfer.

If weather conditions are favorable it opens things up including the US, Latin and Asia favorites.

One of the Euro analyst guys was explaining how they have an advantage in bad weather since they play in less than great condition about 50% of the time.
He went on to say the Euro players short games are better than others in wet and windy weather since they practice in those conditions all the time.

Last edited:
If the weather's bad there will probably be a medium to long shot winner, and it'll most likely be a Euro golfer.

If weather conditions are favorable it opens things up including the US and Asia favorites.

One of the Euro analyst guys was explaining how they have an advantage in bad weather since they play in less than great condition about 50% of the time.
He went on to say the Euro players short games are better than others in wet and windy weather since they practice in those conditions all the time.
All true! But there’s an exception. How else could you explain Rory taking a snowman on the very first hole in his homeland?? I really feel bad about that. He and his country had this weekend circled on the calendar for a really long time. And his tourney was over on the first hole.

All true! But there’s an exception. How else could you explain Rory taking a snowman on the very first hole in his homeland?? I really feel bad about that. He and his country had this weekend circled on the calendar for a really long time. And his tourney was over on the first hole.

Easy Rory has a "head" thing going on.
He hasn't played well in a while.
He would have bilt that snowman regardless of the weather.

Plus some of the best Euro's are the NFG's.
The old Euro guard is moving on out.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Well....why oh why. Rory seemed like the easy pick. Home, owns the course record. And he plays likely his worst round in his major history. It sucks, because other than him, my "flights" are really doing well. I have Shane Lowry, Tyrell Hatton, Alex Noren, Tommy Fleetwood, Jordan Speith, in my group of 10. So other than Rory, I am doing extremely well.

Easy Rory has a "head" thing going on.
He hasn't played well in a while.
He would have bilt that snowman regardless of the weather.

Plus some of the best Euro's are the NFG's.
The old Euro guard is moving on out.

Ummmmm....Rory won the Canadian Open by 7 strokes.

What Rory is is inconsistent. He has played some good golf lately. But when he goes off the rails he really does it in a big way.

Ummmmm....Rory won the Canadian Open by 7 strokes.

What Rory is is inconsistent. He has played some good golf lately. But when he goes off the rails he really does it in a big way.

Unfortunately for Rory the sports press puts lots of pressure on him and he has trouble dealing with it.

I bet he love to be left alone once in a while.
But pressure comes along with fame and fortune!

What's the Canadian Open???
I can see Rory doing well in a tournament like this.

Lower profile tourney, less hype, less chance for his "head" trip which leads to his "off the rail" finishes.
Canadian Open
1.Rory
2.Lowry # 67
3.Simpson # 26
4.Sned-e-ker # 31

This was a disappointing pressure packed event for Rory which didn't go his way.
Tiger Woods Beats Rory McIlroy, Advances to Final 8 at 2019 WGC-Dell Match Play

HIs final group performance over the past two years has been "chokey."

Unfortunately for Rory the sports press puts lots of pressure on him and he has trouble dealing with it.

I bet he love to be left alone once in a while.
But pressure comes along with fame and fortune!

What's the Canadian Open???
I can see Rory doing well in a tournament like this.

Lower profile tourney, less hype, less chance for his "head" trip which leads to his "off the rail" finishes.
Canadian Open
1.Rory
2.Lowry # 67
3.Simpson # 26
4.Sned-e-ker # 31

This was a disappointing pressure packed event for Rory which didn't go his way.
Tiger Woods Beats Rory McIlroy, Advances to Final 8 at 2019 WGC-Dell Match Play

HIs final group performance over the past two years has been "chokey."

He also won the Players.

He’s 3 in FedEx and 3 in the world so to say he’s not playing good is incorrect. Now maybe your standard is when he was nearly unbeatable. Which is an impossible standard except for Tiger when he was in his prime. But he’s played good golf recently.

I’d be surprised if anyone ever does it again long term. This major run Koepka is on is quite something though - we’ll see how long it lasts.

This weekend could be Roryless, Tigerless, AdamScottless and Philess

On another note.....David Duval started out birdie birdie. Then went out and shot a 91! That is 20 over. One round. Including a 13 on a par 5.

He also won the Players.

He’s 3 in FedEx and 3 in the world so to say he’s not playing good is incorrect. Now maybe your standard is when he was nearly unbeatable. Which is an impossible standard except for Tiger when he was in his prime. But he’s played good golf recently.

I’d be surprised if anyone ever does it again long term. This major run Koepka is on is quite something though - we’ll see how long it lasts.

Rory hasn't won a major in 5 years.
The announcer just mentioned this.

Rory hasn't won a major in 5 years.
The announcer just mentioned this.

Ok. I agree that maybe he’s not quite lived up to expectations. But as I kinda said earlier that level was set very high. Maybe impossibly high. But even with that I doubt anyone expected a 5 year winless major streak at his age.

Everyone is ready to declare the next Tiger. We may never see that again.

And some of what you said I don’t disagree with. I was only pointing out he’s been playing good golf. You said he hasn’t played well in a while which just isn’t true. And the Players is one of if not the strongest fields in the game every year so while that’s not considered a major it’s a big win.

Ok. I agree that maybe he’s not quite lived up to expectations. But as I kinda said earlier that level was set very high. Maybe impossibly high. But even with that I doubt anyone expected a 5 year winless major streak at his age.

Everyone is ready to declare the next Tiger. We may never see that again.

And some of what you said I don’t disagree with. I was only pointing out he’s been playing good golf. You said he hasn’t played well in a while which just isn’t true. And the Players is one of if not the strongest fields in the game every year so while that’s not considered a major it’s a big win.

I agree!
We actually like Rory he's one of the Euro's we follow!
I actually think he's one of the great golfers, with potential once he settles down.
He may get better as he gets older and the pressure cooker depressurizes.

Ireland is a great place!
Was there on business a lot.
The Corporate Tax Rate in Ireland stands at 12.50 percent.
We had a lot of locations in Ireland, they get global business, plus lots of smart, hard working, nice people who get confused when you leave them a tip. What's that? That's for you you did a great job. Confused look as they take the tip. Euro's don't tip, and leave very small tips when they come to the US.

Sat in a restaurant/bar in Kinsale Cork County drinking Irish beer what a place.
Flew Aer Lingus Business Class and had one of the most fun flights of my life both ways.
The Irish know how to have fun.

Not Brian Kelly's Irish the real Irish.

Last edited:
This weekend could be Roryless, Tigerless, AdamScottless and Philess

On another note.....David Duval started out birdie birdie. Then went out and shot a 91! That is 20 over. One round. Including a 13 on a par 5.
Tiger is walking up the fairway in the same manner I walk from my bed to the bathroom and kitchen in the AM. Meaning, slowly and gingerly as though he’s aching. He’s either feeling really old or he’s hurt.

Tiger is walking up the fairway in the same manner I walk from my bed to the bathroom and kitchen in the AM. Meaning, slowly and gingerly as though he’s aching. He’s either feeling really old or he’s hurt.

Or he's decoying the field ?
Making the young studs think he's done?
You can't trust old golfers they'll do anything to win.

I find tees in the deep sandtraps when I play my league matches???????????????????

Last edited:
Or he's decoying the field ?
Making the young studs think he's done?
You can't trust old golfers they'll do anything to win.

I find tees in the deep sandtraps when I play my league matches???????????????????
He's done.....he had a great week in Augusta, and he may have a great week now and then, but he is done as a major factor in the golfing world. He can win again, he will win again, he will never ever dominate again.

He's done.....he had a great week in Augusta, and he may have a great week now and then, but he is done as a major factor in the golfing world. He can win again, he will win again, he will never ever dominate again.

He looks a mess again. He winced on his first shot of the day and several more times after. He was moving like an old man at times. Guys on the senior tour move better and more freely than he does. There were a few times today when he was walking gingerly looking like he just hoped he could finish. He said he was sore and that he realizes the old days are gone but I think he’s worse off than he let on. He looked like he was protecting something. Also said he couldn’t work the ball which I’d bet anything was because he couldn’t move properly and wasn’t physically capable.

Phil must really be regretting his decision to skip 6 days of cheeseburgers. All that just to miss the cut.

Reactions: pitt-girl
I agree!
We actually like Rory he's one of the Euro's we follow!
I actually think he's one of the great golfers, with potential once he settles down.
He may get better as he gets older and the pressure cooker depressurizes.

Ireland is a great place!
Was there on business a lot.
The Corporate Tax Rate in Ireland stands at 12.50 percent.
We had a lot of locations in Ireland, they get global business, plus lots of smart, hard working, nice people who get confused when you leave them a tip. What's that? That's for you you did a great job. Confused look as they take the tip. Euro's don't tip, and leave very small tips when they come to the US.

Sat in a restaurant/bar in Kinsale Cork County drinking Irish beer what a place.
Flew Aer Lingus Business Class and had one of the most fun flights of my life both ways.
The Irish know how to have fun.

Not Brian Kelly's Irish the real Irish.

The corporate tax rate in the Republic of Ireland is 12.5%. What is the rate in the United Kingdom, where this event is actually being played? And why would anyone reading a thread about the Open Championship even care? Kinsale is in a different country than Portrush. The national airline is British Airways, not Aer Lingus. It's about as far away from Portrush as any place on the island.

I'm jokingly being obnoxious, but you're making a subtle attempt to interject your political views here. Save it for the Locker Room.

I'm totally rooting for Lee Westwood. Seems like a great guy and has never won a major.

Reactions: Pitt3Putt
I'm totally rooting for Lee Westwood. Seems like a great guy and has never won a major.
Well......ordinarily I would. But......things change and I am in it really big in my pool. So pulling for Lowry, Spieth, Cam Smith, Justin Rose, Ricky Fowler, Louis Oostihuizen, because I am very close to the top of my poll and it could be as much as $2K. I mean even second place would be 1200. So......there ya go.

Well......ordinarily I would. But......things change and I am in it really big in my pool. So pulling for Lowry, Spieth, Cam Smith, Justin Rose, Ricky Fowler, Louis Oostihuizen, because I am very close to the top of my poll and it could be as much as $2K. I mean even second place would be 1200. So......there ya go.
Money ruins everything!

His official response after this was something to the effect of “I said a bad word, shoot me”. Go Shane Lowry.

I need Mick Fleetwood to blow up tomorrow to have a chance. The pool I am in is huge, obviously the prize money is big, and I am in the top 20 over like 1000 entrants, but so many people picked Lowry as I have, Rose, Fowler, Cam Smith and especially Speith. It is done in flights of 5 according to the rankings, and so obviously you can only choose one of say Rory, Koepka, DJ, Justin Rose and Tiger (top 5) and then the next 5 and so on.

It pisses me off, I had two plays. The first I took Rory, as did many, and I did take Fleetwood. If I would have taken Fleetwood with my second entry I would be ahead of everyone. The other guy holding me back a bit is Molinari. You get 10 picks, your top 5 count for your score.

Four strokes is potentially nothing for Fleetwood because there’s nobody between him and Lowry. Even though they’re 7 back Koepka and Rose aren’t out of it for that matter. And it sounds like weather’s finally gonna be in play.

Four strokes is potentially nothing for Fleetwood because there’s nobody between him and Lowry. Even though they’re 7 back Koepka and Rose aren’t out of it for that matter. And it sounds like weather’s finally gonna be in play.
I think the best thing for JB Holmes was getting away from the hoopla surrounding Lowry. Should be a great (early!) day of golf.

Yeah tomorrow should be fun. If the USGA adopted the R&A’s philosophy when it comes to course setup, I think the complaints would more or less go away.

I think the best thing for JB Holmes was getting away from the hoopla surrounding Lowry. Should be a great (early!) day of golf.

True, although you can’t understate the advantages of getting away from playing with JB Holmes. Dude is the epitome of everything that is wrong with slow play on the PGA Tour. He is aptly called the human rain delay.

Reactions: pitt-girl
True, although you can’t understate the advantages of getting away from playing with JB Holmes. Dude is the epitome of everything that is wrong with slow play on the PGA Tour. He is aptly called the human rain delay.

100% correct. I hope JB shoots 80 tomorrow. Until he stops his nonsense I never wanna see him near the lead. He’s brutal and it’s shameful more isn’t done to him and his ilk.
Although it’s possible they were on him a bit today. They were a hole behind fairly early but it never got too out of hand.

I need Mick Fleetwood to blow up tomorrow to have a chance. The pool I am in is huge, obviously the prize money is big, and I am in the top 20 over like 1000 entrants, but so many people picked Lowry as I have, Rose, Fowler, Cam Smith and especially Speith. It is done in flights of 5 according to the rankings, and so obviously you can only choose one of say Rory, Koepka, DJ, Justin Rose and Tiger (top 5) and then the next 5 and so on.

It pisses me off, I had two plays. The first I took Rory, as did many, and I did take Fleetwood. If I would have taken Fleetwood with my second entry I would be ahead of everyone. The other guy holding me back a bit is Molinari. You get 10 picks, your top 5 count for your score.
So what needs to happen today for you to win? I need something to root for being that Lowry seems to be running away with things. He lost a huge lead at Oakmont and struggled on sunday. I don’t think he will do that again.

Maybe Rory should practice more.

My Lord. I want to pull my hair out already. Holmes was extremely slow on the first tee!! And I’m pulling for Koepka who likes to play fast. But unfortunately he’s paired with this guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT