ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Pens

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I am sorry, I think they are dead. I mean they barely showed up last night. Crosby has what, 1 point in the last 5 games? They have had two measly wins against two of the very worst teams in the league over the past month.

They are hurt. Old. Cap strung. Stale. They can't move anyone. Can't bring anyone in. I am totally unimpressed by Hextall. Sullivan's message is no longer working.

Of all of the sports teams in Pittsburgh including Pitt, I think they have the bleakest future in the next 5-7 years.

They should have ripped off the bandaid and not resigned Letang and Malkin now in hindsight. And as much as it may be painful to say it, if Sid doesn't like it, then maybe move him for a huge return.

Again, root for the logo on the front, not the name on the back.

I am sorry, I think they are dead. I mean they barely showed up last night. Crosby has what, 1 point in the last 5 games? They have had two measly wins against two of the very worst teams in the league over the past month.

They are hurt. Old. Cap strung. Stale. They can't move anyone. Can't bring anyone in. I am totally unimpressed by Hextall. Sullivan's message is no longer working.

Of all of the sports teams in Pittsburgh including Pitt, I think they have the bleakest future in the next 5-7 years.

They should have ripped off the bandaid and not resigned Letang and Malkin now in hindsight. And as much as it may be painful to say it, if Sid doesn't like it, then maybe move him for a huge return.

Hextall was a lousy GM in Philly. When the Pens need him to pull a move he fiddles like Nero when Rome burns. No legimate back up goalie. Jeff carter should have retired 3 years ago and an poor defense. Hextall shouldn't have been hired in the first place and needs fired now. Unless the Pens can pull a Craig patrick type trade the Pens are cooked.

Reactions: Dan1911
It was probably over anyways, but they could have made another run with a great GM hire after Rutherford quit mid-season. Hextall has been awful. It's too late now. By the time they could realistically clean up this mess Malkin, Letang and Crosby will be geriatrics.

Probably gonna clean house this offseason. I like Sullivan but there's no point in keeping him around for the next few years.

What did the FSG see in this franchise? Seemed like a bad investment at the time. All good things come to an end.

Reactions: Pittisit4me

Oh no, you went there! You should never bring up the idea of trading away Crosby. Malkin and Letang? Absolutely, but never Sidney. LOL, LOL!!!
I do agree with your assessment of the Penguins as well. Pittsburgh hockey fans may have to wait many, many years before they get to see another Pittsburgh Penguins team playing in a Stanley Cup deciding series.

I predicted on the longer Penguin thread that this would be the year that the playoff run ends. I said that mostly because the team was stale under Sully, and I wanted Sully fired at least 3 years ago. He had a long enough run with this team and had some bad luck with goal tending injuries the last couple years, but he wasted the last couple true opportunities with this core. I agree they are dead, and really have no way out of it. It will take a minimum of 5-7 years to work their way out. Meanwhile, the fanbase that has been built up will be slowly cutting out, unwilling to pay the high price of a hockey ticket in this town to see a team fading away.

Reactions: Dan1911 and jctrack
I led the parade to let Malkin and Letang walk. Having said that, it is the doldrums of mid season, a season that is way too long, in a sport where the playoffs mean everything, so January games are nothing.

They're trying to resuscitate an elderly patient that's already dead. Throwing a bunch of #1s and ruining their future to try to salvage this team is stupid, but that's exactly what they'll do, and half the people on this board will agree with that.

I predicted on the longer Penguin thread that this would be the year that the playoff run ends. I said that mostly because the team was stale under Sully, and I wanted Sully fired at least 3 years ago. He had a long enough run with this team and had some bad luck with goal tending injuries the last couple years, but he wasted the last couple true opportunities with this core. I agree they are dead, and really have no way out of it. It will take a minimum of 5-7 years to work their way out. Meanwhile, the fanbase that has been built up will be slowly cutting out, unwilling to pay the high price of a hockey ticket in this town to see a team fading away.
One possible way out is to sell off assets and the big three may not like staying around.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I led the parade to let Malkin and Letang walk. Having said that, it is the doldrums of mid season, a season that is way too long, in a sport where the playoffs mean everything, so January games are nothing.
And i was leading the band.

I'm not a Penguins fan, but you guys say this every year around this time...and you always go on a run into the playoffs...

Can't say I disagree with the needed rebuild assessment, but I feel like I read this same sentiment on here every season for the past 5 years.

I'm not a Penguins fan, but you guys say this every year around this time...and you always go on a run into the playoffs...

Can't say I disagree with the needed rebuild assessment, but I feel like I read this same sentiment on here every season for the past 5 years.
Because it's the same thing every year?

One possible way out is to sell off assets and the big three may not like staying around.
Aside from some of the cap space these contracts, too many of these guys have extensive No Trade clauses. I read like Dumoulin, there are only 10 teams he would agree to.

The time for the tear down was after they got bounced by the Caps what, five years ago? Could have got good youngsters or picks for Geno and Letang. All I have heard about Letang is "who do you get to take those minutes"? Um, maybe a couple good young defensemen? They keep pretending they're championship contenders, haven't been since then. Hextall leaving McCann and Tanev unprotected to protect Carter in the expansion was criminal. Top three centers over 35 on long term contracts, dumb

The time for the tear down was after they got bounced by the Caps what, five years ago? Could have got good youngsters or picks for Geno and Letang. All I have heard about Letang is "who do you get to take those minutes"? Um, maybe a couple good young defensemen? They keep pretending they're championship contenders, haven't been since then. Hextall leaving McCann and Tanev unprotected to protect Carter in the expansion was criminal. Top three centers over 35 on long term contracts, dumb
That was the year. The move then was trading Malkin for HUGE return. But even the year before, I mentioned that you "can't" do this, but the move of trading Matt Murray and resigning MAF would have yielded an unbelievable return.

Played a good 3rd period tonight, but, couldn't even get control of the puck in the last minute and a half with a 6-4 man power advantage. Pretty sad.

I'm pretty sure they'll go on a run or two. I'm pretty confident they'll make the playoffs. I have little confidence they'll get out of the first round. I have zero confidence that they'll be a serious contender this year or any for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: jctrack
That was the year to do it only because we all know what has happened since.

But in this division, it does matter.
They’ll make the playoffs either way. And they’ve found with this group that home ice doesn’t matter much. As others have said, it’s hard to imagine they’ll get out of the first round regardless of opponent or home ice. They won’t change the way they play, while the other teams do; the opponent will send goons to bash and bully the big 3 with no consequences (other than delight from the league officials); and above all, the goaltending will be subpar and let them down. They should have overhauled the team, they didn’t, and this is the result.

Because it's the same thing every year?
I’ll go with Fireballz on this one, same group of posters does this every year. Pens core is getting older every year so yeah, it’s obvious the rebuild is coming. But it definitely never had to be as early as the calls have been made for it herein for a good number of years now. Their on-ice performance says it hasn’t. Even looking at the 1st-round playoff exits when you stop and look at what caused those exits. Sure wasn’t because they were old and slow or not competitive against the other top teams.

Reactions: FireballZ
That was the year. The move then was trading Malkin for HUGE return. But even the year before, I mentioned that you "can't" do this, but the move of trading Matt Murray and resigning MAF would have yielded an unbelievable return.
Trading Murray and resigning MAF…….Now there’s a serious benefit of hindsight claim.

Heck, I was never a big Murray fan and liked the idea back then of doing what you suggest, but I sure could/would never fault the Pens for going the route they did.

I love the Penguins and they have some injuries but they are not a good team at all.
Team will not make playoffs unless they make some moves quick. Hextall needs to awake from his coma.

Overtime loss to Ottawa. I wish they'd face reality and sell off their pending free agents. Selling the future to bolster this mediocre team isn't logical.

Overtime loss to Ottawa. I wish they'd face reality and sell off their pending free agents. Selling the future to bolster this mediocre team isn't logical.
You think they are going to get a haul for zucker , Bleuger , and Jarry?
Because those are the only pending free agents worth anything .
We have the husk of dumolin

I mean what’s the leverage when another team can sign yhem
Next year for nothing ?
They should resign Heinen because he’s productive and cheap relatively

Zucker and Bleuger will get you something. Dumping Kappanen with a sweetener to open space is better than keeping that albatross around (I know he has a year left). The others walk at the end of the season for nothing. Leveraging them for picks or young guys with upside seems wiser than letting it ride with a mediocre team nobody thinks is going anywhere and being in the same spot again next year.

As my Uncle Leo always said, "Half a loaf is better than none."

Zucker and Bleuger will get you something. Dumping Kappanen with a sweetener to open space is better than keeping that albatross around (I know he has a year left). The others walk at the end of the season for nothing. Leveraging them for picks or young guys with upside seems wiser than letting it ride with a mediocre team nobody thinks is going anywhere and being in the same spot again next year.

As my Uncle Leo always said, "Half a loaf is better than none."
So let’s play this out
You move zucker and bleuger for what and who ?
Players who are very much similar but slightly worse ?

So let’s play this out
You move zucker and bleuger for what and who ?
Players who are very much similar but slightly worse ?
You're losing them for nothing at the end of the year for nothing. Getting something for them is good if you're not a contender this year.

Who are you going to get for them??? Draft picks or young prospects.
Veteran-wise, in the off-season you get the same people you'd go after when they walk for nothing at season's end. You could even flip them Zucker and Bleuger at the trade deadline and re-sign them in the off-season. Then you'd get some young pieces and still have the people in question.
I guess some prefer to invest in a bad hand and go down wasting chips on a hand you know you're no going to win, anyway, instead of playing for the next hand. Investing in this season is like hoping to draw to an inside straight.

You want to keep these guys and lose them for nothing at the end of the season, great. I get it and it's exactly what the pens will do but worse. They'll.probably burn through even more young talent and prospects to "try" this year. Fine. I get it. Just don't act like I'm crazy for suggesting this isn't the year and try to maximize the core's opportunity in the following years by adding prospects and picks you can develop or trade for players next year if you have a better year and a more
decent shot at doing something.

You think they are going to get a haul for zucker , Bleuger , and Jarry?
Because those are the only pending free agents worth anything .
We have the husk of dumolin

I mean what’s the leverage when another team can sign yhem
Next year for nothing ?
They should resign Heinen because he’s productive and cheap relatively
I am thinking of packaging Carter, Dumo and Zucker to Anaheim for Zegras and their #1 pick. Who would say no??

Well...................I almost wished this would have happened last year. That way Hextall and management could have gotten more clarity on the future and the impending FA;s of Malkin, Letang, Rust, Kapanen and Carter. Signing the last two regardless, was absolutely malfeasance. Sheer lunacy and stupidity and in my opinion, a fireable offense.

I think if we are still in this position at the deadline, you might see FSG tell them to see what they can get for guys, and no more throwing away draft picks.

With Crosby, the Pens are in a predicament, much the same way the Steelers were in the last few Ben years. The team around him needs rebuilt, and they are no longer capable of dominating for long stretched. In fact, the only 35 year old hockey player capable of dominating was Mario. Sid's an all time great, but only one Mario.

We held on to guys, a year too long (Dumoulin), and some guys a few years too long. I like Jarry as a goalie, but he is too fragile, to go into this 3rd year with only Casey DeSmith was another malfeasance.

It is just like after the 5th Cup (2017) everything the Pens were doing that was right and paid off, they became the 1980 Penguins since then.

Well...................I almost wished this would have happened last year. That way Hextall and management could have gotten more clarity on the future and the impending FA;s of Malkin, Letang, Rust, Kapanen and Carter. Signing the last two regardless, was absolutely malfeasance. Sheer lunacy and stupidity and in my opinion, a fireable offense.

I think if we are still in this position at the deadline, you might see FSG tell them to see what they can get for guys, and no more throwing away draft picks.

With Crosby, the Pens are in a predicament, much the same way the Steelers were in the last few Ben years. The team around him needs rebuilt, and they are no longer capable of dominating for long stretched. In fact, the only 35 year old hockey player capable of dominating was Mario. Sid's an all time great, but only one Mario.

We held on to guys, a year too long (Dumoulin), and some guys a few years too long. I like Jarry as a goalie, but he is too fragile, to go into this 3rd year with only Casey DeSmith was another malfeasance.

It is just like after the 5th Cup (2017) everything the Pens were doing that was right and paid off, they became the 1980 Penguins since then.
Correct. And why do they keep blowing leads in the 3rd? Age.

They burn out after two periods. They just can't keep up with youth and speed for three whole periods. This problem won't get any better as the core and the supporting cast continue to age as they burn through picks and prospects to keep the old guys on life support.

ADVERTISEMENT