ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Pens

Well...................I almost wished this would have happened last year. That way Hextall and management could have gotten more clarity on the future and the impending FA;s of Malkin, Letang, Rust, Kapanen and Carter. Signing the last two regardless, was absolutely malfeasance. Sheer lunacy and stupidity and in my opinion, a fireable offense.

I think if we are still in this position at the deadline, you might see FSG tell them to see what they can get for guys, and no more throwing away draft picks.

With Crosby, the Pens are in a predicament, much the same way the Steelers were in the last few Ben years. The team around him needs rebuilt, and they are no longer capable of dominating for long stretched. In fact, the only 35 year old hockey player capable of dominating was Mario. Sid's an all time great, but only one Mario.

We held on to guys, a year too long (Dumoulin), and some guys a few years too long. I like Jarry as a goalie, but he is too fragile, to go into this 3rd year with only Casey DeSmith was another malfeasance.

It is just like after the 5th Cup (2017) everything the Pens were doing that was right and paid off, they became the 1980 Penguins since then.
Agree. Unfortunately when Letang, Petry, Jarry, Archibald, and Poehling come back, they’ll be just good enough to make the playoffs, and only looking to add at the deadline. I sooooooo hope that Hextall doesn’t trade our 1st or 2nd pick for a 3rd-line pending free agent forward.

Reactions: jctrack and Dan1911
The Penguins will never be sellers when they have 87, 71, 58, that's the problem.
You don't upset the talent.
They need to sell 71 and 58, or never have given them new contracts in the first place.
Hextall was/is afraid to make a move or was told not to shake up the team too much and was hoping he could get lucky with this group to get a Ring.
He is a lazy GM , but I am most upset with FSG.
They have been running this team like garbage since day 1.

The Penguins will never be sellers when they have 87, 71, 58, that's the problem.
You don't upset the talent.
They need to sell 71 and 58, or never have given them new contracts in the first place.
Hextall was/is afraid to make a move or was told not to shake up the team too much and was hoping he could get lucky with this group to get a Ring.
He is a lazy GM , but I am most upset with FSG.
They have been running this team like garbage since day 1.
Never say never. Wayne Gretzky was traded. Mark Messier. Ray Bourque. Phil Esposito. Patrick Roy, etc....

Geno is no Wayne Gretzky , and 87 will never ever get traded.
This team is in shambles actually, riddled with long term contracts to aging vets.
All thanks to one offseason of work by an old rival.

Well...................I almost wished this would have happened last year. That way Hextall and management could have gotten more clarity on the future and the impending FA;s of Malkin, Letang, Rust, Kapanen and Carter. Signing the last two regardless, was absolutely malfeasance. Sheer lunacy and stupidity and in my opinion, a fireable offense.

I think if we are still in this position at the deadline, you might see FSG tell them to see what they can get for guys, and no more throwing away draft picks.

With Crosby, the Pens are in a predicament, much the same way the Steelers were in the last few Ben years. The team around him needs rebuilt, and they are no longer capable of dominating for long stretched. In fact, the only 35 year old hockey player capable of dominating was Mario. Sid's an all time great, but only one Mario.

We held on to guys, a year too long (Dumoulin), and some guys a few years too long. I like Jarry as a goalie, but he is too fragile, to go into this 3rd year with only Casey DeSmith was another malfeasance.

It is just like after the 5th Cup (2017) everything the Pens were doing that was right and paid off, they became the 1980 Penguins since then.
Sid takes up a tiny fraction of the cap compared to Ben
Sid takes up 10% of their cap space with a $3 mil salary this year.

Ben still cost the stillers $10mil in cap space and took 36% of the cap his last contract .

I mean Nevermind the nhl has what 25 players or so on active contracts vs 53 for the nfl

Sid and Malkin are on very franchise friendly deals way below their market value

Last edited:
Sid takes up a tiny fraction of the cap compared to Ben
Sid takes up 10% of their cap space with a $3 mil salary this year.

Ben still cost the stillers $10mil in cap space and took 36% of the cap his last contract .

I mean Nevermind the nhl has what 25 players or so on active contracts vs 53 for the nfl

Sid and Malkin are on very franchise friendly deals way below their market value
Jesus Christ............if you don't understand my point, no wonder why people are addicted to opioids.

The penguins #1 problem is, they don't shoot the puck enough. Way to many times have I seen players pass up open shots to dish it off to someone else. NHL games are decided by who scores the most goals, not by who has the prettiest tic-tac-toe play.

Its sad to see the Penguins fail because when they do, we all know we only have 1 team left.
besides our beloved Panthers !!!!

Fire the head coach, last two times they did that, they won the Cup, it's the opposite of the Steelers!

Fire the head coach = GOOD

Reactions: Dan1911
The other thing, the lack of draft picks have really caught up with the Pens, but also who they drafted. I personally thought Ray Shero was a helluva GM. He made solid trades, but even though he traded many #1's, he was able to draft guys like Guentzel, Rust, Murray, Jarry, Bleuger, in later rounds.

Another thing is plaguing the Pens is "SULLIVAN DOESNT PLAY THE YOUNG GUYS!!" Well that's because "THE YOUNG GUYS SUCK!!!!" There are no young guys to play. There is nobody in WBS, at least NHL caliber. There is no one in the system. When was the last time a Penguin participated in in the WJC?

So it is not just trading draft picks, it is also not drafting the right guys at the spots they drafted.

I mean this is a mess. I see no way out. Signing all of those guys last summer just sealed the deal. As bad as the Blackhawks have been the past few years, that is going to be the Pens. And the Hawks have been stuck with Toews and Kane who don't want to leave, or in Toews' case, is basically untradeable.

The other thing, the lack of draft picks have really caught up with the Pens, but also who they drafted. I personally thought Ray Shero was a helluva GM. He made solid trades, but even though he traded many #1's, he was able to draft guys like Guentzel, Rust, Murray, Jarry, Bleuger, in later rounds.

Another thing is plaguing the Pens is "SULLIVAN DOESNT PLAY THE YOUNG GUYS!!" Well that's because "THE YOUNG GUYS SUCK!!!!" There are no young guys to play. There is nobody in WBS, at least NHL caliber. There is no one in the system. When was the last time a Penguin participated in in the WJC?

So it is not just trading draft picks, it is also not drafting the right guys at the spots they drafted.

I mean this is a mess. I see no way out. Signing all of those guys last summer just sealed the deal. As bad as the Blackhawks have been the past few years, that is going to be the Pens. And the Hawks have been stuck with Toews and Kane who don't want to leave, or in Toews' case, is basically untradeable.
Yeah, unless something unusual happens the Pens are set-up to have 4 or 5 consecutive years where they don’t even compete for a playoff spot. This bad period may not start for a couple seasons, but it’s coming.
The only thing that may shorten it is for some unusual things to happen.
After this season or during next season, Crosby decides he wants to compete for a Cup one more time and agrees to a trade (not likely.) He probably still could bring a good return of younger players or draft picks. Then Letang decides to retire for health reasons (not wishing this on him.)
This results in other guys being open to being moved, and then we do a complete fire sale and have a ton of money for free agents and turn it around in maybe 3 seasons?

Fire the head coach, last two times they did that, they won the Cup, it's the opposite of the Steelers!

Fire the head coach = GOOD
Sullivan blows. I am so tired of hearing him say we gotta play the right way. They should have fired him 3 or 4 years ago. He wasted the last few years where this team had a chance for a cup. Granted he had some bad luck with goaltending injuries, but he should have been gone, especially knowing that this group has responded well to coaching changes in the past. They stood pat and expected things to improve. Is that not the definition of insanity???

Sullivan blows. I am so tired of hearing him say we gotta play the right way. They should have fired him 3 or 4 years ago. He wasted the last few years where this team had a chance for a cup. Granted he had some bad luck with goaltending injuries, but he should have been gone, especially knowing that this group has responded well to coaching changes in the past. They stood pat and expected things to improve. Is that not the definition of insanity???
Right now the biggest indictment on Sullivan is his refusal to put Rakell back with Sid. That is when the team was rolling and Sid was rolling. I don't care if Sid prefers playing with Rust. This isn't working. Sid's big enough that he should understand and accept that his preference is not what is best for not just the team, but himself.

Personally if I could get something for Rust, I would trade him.

my biggest grip with sully is his refusal to put any muscle on the ice. after he ran reaves off, he was better as a hockey player than any other fourth liner sully played

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Or you simply aren’t funny ?
Seems more likely
Or you just are miserable and have no sense of humour. Which is obvious to everyone. People on here love me. They hate you. I am respected and admired, you are just considered a nuisance who brings nothing. I am a real swell guy, you are nothing.

Or you just are miserable and have no sense of humour. Which is obvious to everyone. People on here love me. They hate you. I am respected and admired, you are just considered a nuisance who brings nothing. I am a real swell guy, you are nothing.
4 other likewise responded to your “joke”
Because it wasn’t funny
Being loud unfunny and angry is your MO
I hope things get better for ya

Huge difference with Jarry in the net. Jarry is one of the 10 best goalies (I think 5-6 best) in the league. The Pens were just much more calm with knowing he was in the net.

Huge difference with Jarry in the net. Jarry is one of the 10 best goalies (I think 5-6 best) in the league. The Pens were just much more calm with knowing he was in the net.
Jarry was truly outstanding last night ...... the other player that made a big difference IMO was the return of Jeff Petry who was really good in all phases (5v5 in the offensive and defensive zones, point man on the PP and on the PK ...... he made a major improvement in their team) ..... once Letang, Rutta, and even Poehling and Archibald get back and if the team stays healthy, they should be solid (although still need some help in a couple areas)...... big game tomorrow against the Devils as the Pens need to start beating the teams ahead of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: USN_Panther
Ok, a non-Pens post in the Pens thread. I just noticed the Bruins record, 36-5-4. That pretty impressive. Long way still to go but if they keep that pace up we’re talking NHL record for best ever.

Ok, a non-Pens post in the Pens thread. I just noticed the Bruins record, 36-5-4. That pretty impressive. Long way still to go but if they keep that pace up we’re talking NHL record for best ever.
Yeah it is amazing. New coach this year, but same team pretty much as years past. Their core is aging too, but evidently they haven't bankrupted their future by continually dispatching draft picks for rental.

On a side note… has anyone been following what’s going down in Vancouver? Jim Rutherford has pretty much destroyed the good will he built up with his time here. The way they’ve handled Bruce Boudreau’s impending firing has been incredibly unprofessional and disrespectful.

On a side note… has anyone been following what’s going down in Vancouver? Jim Rutherford has pretty much destroyed the good will he built up with his time here. The way they’ve handled Bruce Boudreau’s impending firing has been incredibly unprofessional and disrespectful.
Yes. Just a complete mess. I can't believe Rich Tocchet wants to join that mess.

Yes. Just a complete mess. I can't believe Rich Tocchet wants to join that mess.
That’s the other part of it I don’t get. They’re willing to destroy the fan base, the locker room, and their reputations for… Rick Tocchet? It’d at least make some sense if it were for Joel Quenneville or someone like that. None of that situation makes any sense at all.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
Neutron Jim at it again.

The only bit that matters is how we can leverage his insanity into undoing the mess he left us with here.

Pens and OT not a good combination unless you’re the opponent. What are they, something like 2-8 in OT now?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT