ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Pens

3 on 3 OT used to be breathtaking. Just riverboat gambling, constant chances. Now, as coaching is want to do, it is now about possession. Once a team wins the puck, they will do everything not to give it up, and that includes you know, trying to score.

Of course the Pens have to realize that a) it is legal to win a faceoff in OT and b) your goalie is allowed to make a save in OT.

Reactions: jctrack
3 on 3 OT used to be breathtaking. Just riverboat gambling, constant chances. Now, as coaching is want to do, it is now about possession. Once a team wins the puck, they will do everything not to give it up, and that includes you know, trying to score.

Of course the Pens have to realize that a) it is legal to win a faceoff in OT and b) your goalie is allowed to make a save in OT.
Article I read says the Devils used a guy in the OT opening face off to get possession, which he did, and then immediately took him off the ice. Reason being, as you said, is the importance of getting possession and dictating substitutions remainder of the OT.

The 1st goal that Jarry gave up, less than a minute into the 1st period, was really bad. Of course, that was the only one until OT.

The 1st goal that Jarry gave up, less than a minute into the 1st period, was really bad. Of course, that was the only one until OT.
Thoughts ......

- Pens played a very good game overall against the Devils yesterday ...... tight checking, great structure, very good positionally, took away time and space from the Devils who after 2 periods had only 10 shots on goal ..... the type game they need to play to beat the better teams .....

- Jarry, who was exceptional on Friday against Ottawa, was overall good against the Devils ..... his advanced stats in the Devils game were good with a positive delta SV% and positive Goals Saved Above Expected and he gave up only 2 goals in the game when his expected goals against from the shots he faced was 2.57 ..... so he played well and certainly better than an average NHL goalie would have played .....

- However, if you look at the 2 goals he gave up, he didn't play either one well at all and I was really disappointed on how he played the winning goal in OT where his movement, angles/positioning, and technique were all poor ...... I'm going to post a 9 minute highlight video of the game with the Devils below and discuss two shots that Jarry faced in OT, one he played well and the game winning goal which he played poorly and discuss each ...... everything I discuss will be between the 8:19 and 8:38 mark of the video if you are interested that's all you need to watch ....... at the 8:20 mark, Hughes is bringing the puck up the left wing and a 2 on 1 develops for the Devils as he crosses the blue line ....... Hughes carries the puck to the top of the left circle (to the goalies right) until the Pens D-man picks him up ...... at that time Jarry is out in perfect position at the top edge of the crease between the middle of the top part (outer edge) of the crease and the corner of the crease (~ where the circular top part of the crease meets the straight side of the crease) ....... At the 8:23 mark while at the top of the left circle, Hughes passes the puck to his teammate in the far side of the high slot and he takes a shot from the right hash marks ...... when Hughes makes the pass, follow Jarry who immediately moves (actually by shuffling) to the outer edge of the top of the crease on the opposite side of the crease in perfect position to make a difficult save look easy ...... great angles/positioning, movement, technique and the save is made .....

- Now look at the 8:28 mark to start the sequence that led to the winning goal for the Devils who were on a PP and let's see how Jarry plays it ...... at the 8:33 mark the Devils pass the puck from the inner, upper right circle behind the goal line to Jarry's left ..... a Devil gets the puck behind the goal line and carries it out in front of the goal line way out near the boards ..... Jarry is in good position at that point sealing the post on the near side ..... the puck is then passed from there to a Devil at the top of the right circle ...... as soon as the puck was passed from near the goal line out to the top of the right circle, Jarry should have taken a quick stride out to the top of the crease to about the same vicinity where he made the save on the previous 2 on 1 save I discussed above as that would have been the best place to make a save if there would have been shot on goal from the top of the right circle, but, instead look, he doesn't move and stays on the post deep in the net basically on the goal line, he is now off angle, too deep, and behind on the play ....... at the 8:36 mark, the puck is passed from the top of the right circle to the top of the left circle ...... at that point, the best place for Jarry to be to make a save on the winning shot would be at the top of the crease between the corner of the crease and top middle of the crease on the side of the shooter and if he had come out on the pass to the top of the right circle to the top of the crease on that side he would have only had to move across about 4 feet to get in position to make the save on the winning shot ...... even if he didn't move and was out of position when the puck was passed from the goal line to the top of the right circle and was still back on the goal line when it was passed to the top of the left circle, he should have tried to come out as far as possible to cut the angle down on the winning shot ..... he just stayed back on the goal line leaving a great deal of open net and was beaten over the glove which he just flailed up ....... so from the time the puck was behind the goal line until the winning shot was made, Jarry's movement should have been to seal the near post, then move out to the top of the crease to the goalies left, then move across to the top of the crease on the shooters side ..... he did NONE of that except seal the near post initially but rather just stayed back on the goal line ...... if he would have technically played the sequence properly, Jarry would have had a relatively easy glove hand save about shoulder level or lower in the butterfly position at the top of the crease on the shooters side, he probably would not have had to move his glove more than 6" to make the save .....

See video of above :

Last edited:
I think Jarry is a great goalie. Top 6 or so in the league. You can win cups with a Tristan Jarry. Just whoever has been in net for the Pens have had some bad OT luck with the 1st shot eluding them.

Meanwhile, this team still needs a change, even if it is someone (Bryan Rust) that you may not want to (Bryan Rust) trade. Because the Pens have to make a hockey trade. They need to move salary to get salary back.

Rust is good, but he is very similar to the rest of the Pens wingers. They need a bigger forward. A banger for the 3rd line.

I think Jarry is a great goalie. Top 6 or so in the league. You can win cups with a Tristan Jarry. Just whoever has been in net for the Pens have had some bad OT luck with the 1st shot eluding them.

Meanwhile, this team still needs a change, even if it is someone (Bryan Rust) that you may not want to (Bryan Rust) trade. Because the Pens have to make a hockey trade. They need to move salary to get salary back.

Rust is good, but he is very similar to the rest of the Pens wingers. They need a bigger forward. A banger for the 3rd line.
I’m on board with a shakeup

I’m on board with a shakeup
I just look back to the offseason, if they would not have resigned Carter and Kapanen, and was able to move Dumo, even holding some salary back, this team would have been likely able to sign a 3rd line type of player AND save cap space for moments like this.

I can't believe Hextall is still here.

I just look back to the offseason, if they would not have resigned Carter and Kapanen, and was able to move Dumo, even holding some salary back, this team would have been likely able to sign a 3rd line type of player AND save cap space for moments like this.

I can't believe Hextall is still here.
If Mario was still in charge he’d be on the chopping block
This new group- who knows

- I like Tristan Jarry a lot and think he is playing very well ....... he also doesn't look like he has peaked yet in his career as he overall continues to improve, but I'm not sure what criteria you are using to say he is in the top 6 as a goalie in the league ....... of the 32 goalies so far this season with the most playing time, yeah Jarry is #5 in SV% and #11 in GAA but we know those are more team stats (depend on how his teammates are playing in front of him) ....... so far this season, if you look at advanced goalie stats which more accurately tell a goalies own performance compared to other goalies by separating out the effect of the play of their teammates in front of them has on the goalies stats, Jarry is #12 in delta SV% out of 32 ..... #14 in GSAX (Goals Saved Above Expected) ..... #16 in HDSV% (High Danger Save %) ...... so far this season, he is playing more like a top 10-15 goalie in the league but if he continues to play as well as he has the past couple games for the rest of the season, he could get into the top 10 maybe even top 6 ..... that will not be easy ...... time will tell.

- As far as the Pens goalies in OT, I don't think I would call it bad luck but, yes, they have let some goals in that they were in position to save and a few cases have happened, like Jarry against the Devils the other night, where I tried to show how bad technical play (movement, angles/positioning) led to a goal ...... but a bigger problem has been the number of odd man breaks in OT that the Pens have given up where our goalies have been put in a difficult position to make a save.

- I agree with you guys that so far Hextall has done a poor job ..... to date, he has not made the team better which is his main job ...... I think maybe he panicked in re-signing Carter as he wasn't sure they could sign Malkin at the time and if Geno walked and Carter was let go, we would be down to 2 NHL centers on the roster (Crosby and Blueger) with no one in the pipe line to step in so in that case he would have had to bring in a 2nd and 3rd line center via trade or free agency so he overpaid for Carter which was a mistake and looked even worse after Geno signed ...... it's harder to make trades with 75% of teams with no cap space and when you have very few assets to trade other than draft picks which we should not trade ....... they took a chance on re-signing Kapanen and they overpaid ..... no one wanted Dumo in a trade ..... but yes, if they knew Geno was going to re-sign and they would have let Carter and Kapanen go and been able to trade Dumo, the Pens probably could have gotten a better 3rd line center which is a big weakness on the team .....

Last edited:
Man or man…if Jarry can’t stay healthy…they’re doomed. Again.

There is nothing about this team that is exciting. Do they even have a GM? When was the last time they showed Hextall? Just absolutely pedestrian to the point that they’re getting hard to watch.

We had them all the way ...... no doubt about it (LOL)..... 7-6 Pens in OT !!!!!

We sure could have used @USN_Panther as an emergency goalie tonight but I think he was unavailable due to a NZ Beer League game !

Last edited:
Reactions: USN_Panther
We had them all the way ...... no doubt about it (LOL)..... 7-6 Pens in OT !!!!!

We sure could have used @USN_Panther as an emergency goalie tonight but I think he was unavailable due to a NZ Beer League game !
No beer here, so I'm available.
Side note: my son is playing starting Thursday in Istanbul for the NZ Juniors in the IIHF Division 3 tournament. They play Bosnia - Herzegovina on Thursday, Australia Friday and Kyrgyzstan on Sunday. Games are all 3 am here, so going to be tired all week.

Reactions: goalieman
Side note: my son is playing starting Thursday in Istanbul for the NZ Juniors in the IIHF Division 3 tournament. They play Bosnia - Herzegovina on Thursday, Australia Friday and Kyrgyzstan on Sunday. Games are all 3 am here, so going to be tired all week.
Congratulations to your son and good luck in the tournament !

Congratulations to your son and good luck in the tournament !
Thanks. They have a decent team.
Since there have been no import players the last few years, these young guys got a lot of ice time in the senior men's league. Hopefully that experience translates to promotion.

Awesome! Good luck to him and safe travels!

Reactions: USN_Panther
And Hextall still hasn't realized that.
I have been calling for, on sites like well, this one, the absolute critical need for the Pens to have a veteran backup. Think Halak, think Vokoun. I have been calling for this since 2019, when Rutherford was still GM.

To have not just one, but two former NHL goalies as GM's not address this, is inexcusable. If they had a Brian Elliott, Halak, Raanta, the aforementioned Vokoun, the Pens likely don't lose their past two 1st round playoff series.

I have been calling for, on sites like well, this one, the absolute critical need for the Pens to have a veteran backup. Think Halak, think Vokoun. I have been calling for this since 2019, when Rutherford was still GM.

To have not just one, but two former NHL goalies as GM's not address this, is inexcusable. If they had a Brian Elliott, Halak, Raanta, the aforementioned Vokoun, the Pens likely don't lose their past two 1st round playoff series.
without a doubt, Hextall should be fired just for that .

Reactions: Dan1911
I'm hearing rumors that Teddy may be moved before the deadline to free up space to bring in someone else. If not a center, do they move Carter down to the 4th line to center that line? Good option to upgrade the bottom six seems limited unless they unload some contracts. If they do, is it a zero-sum gain?

Desmith has been a capable backup previously -
But he seems to have lost it this season
It unfortunately happens

Desmith has been a capable backup previously -
But he seems to have lost it this season
It unfortunately happens
Well it is not just my distrust in DeSmith. He has been fragile (missed the last 2 postseasons), and so has Jarry seemingly gets dinged up easily. I just think they need somone more durable/dependable.

Jarry now out til after all-star break. I don't see the pens making up any ground with CDS carrying the load.

Well it is not just my distrust in DeSmith. He has been fragile (missed the last 2 postseasons), and so has Jarry seemingly gets dinged up easily. I just think they need somone more durable/dependable.
I’m going to need a few examples of backup goalies who are active now , play a bunch - and are also never injured .

I mean on average a starter is playing 45-55 games on the high end last season 67 games was the most

Jarry played in 58 which was the 8th most GP

I’m going to need a few examples of backup goalies who are active now , play a bunch - and are also never injured .

I mean on average a starter is playing 45-55 games on the high end last season 67 games was the most

Jarry played in 58 which was the 8th most GP
So to look at older /veterans near same salary (desmith is 30)
Halak
Greiss
Craig Andersen
Mike smith

It’s a small pool is my point

Jarry now out til after all-star break. I don't see the pens making up any ground with CDS carrying the load.

After the all star break mean two games.

After Saturday the Pens get their week off leading into the all star game, so they don't play again after that until Feb 7. Which is why not playing him in the next two games makes sense, even if he could possibly go out there.

After the all star break mean two games.

After Saturday the Pens get their week off leading into the all star game, so they don't play again after that until Feb 7. Which is why not playing him in the next two games makes sense, even if he could possibly go out there.
Which makes sense. But the concern is, he just came off a prolonged injury absence.

Some of the national hockey blogs are bringing up injury issues about the penguins over the last several years, so, Recruits, you're concern is echoed by others in the media.

Take that for what it's worth.

"Sounds like management is going to be patient throughout the process as Jarry's health history is starting to become a topic of conversation..."

ADVERTISEMENT