ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "True Detective" news from HBO....

I enjoyed Season One, but I never took a liking to Season Two.

Once a show loses me, I never go back. I just don't have the patience.

Reactions: paulbl99
I enjoyed Season One, but I never took a liking to Season Two.

Once a show loses me, I never go back. I just don't have the patience.
It is essentially a completely new show, so I don't understand that thought process in relation to this. It is like writing off all comedies because you saw one of the Tyler Perry Madea movies.

Reactions: persp
It is essentially a completely new show, so I don't understand that thought process in relation to this. It is like writing off all comedies because you saw one of the Tyler Perry Madea movies.
I should've gone into more detail, but for the sake of brevity, I didn't.

When I watched Season One, it took me more than a few episodes before I thought it was worth it. So when I began watching Season Two, I found that I was forcing myself (struggling) to watch it before I finally punted on it.

The bottom line is that I just don't want to invest my time anymore - especially when I've recorded other programs (that I'd rather watch) that I can play at the same time. And besides, if the reviews for "True Detective, Season Three" end-up being great, I can always watch it on HBO On Demand - so I really haven't lost anything.

i agree with Tiger Paul

Season 2 simply did not have the interaction between the main characters that season 1 did between Woody H and Mathew M.

But the premise of both stories is fascinating.

I am excited to check out seaosn 3

Season 2 was rushed by HBO with a writer that had never worked under those parameters before. Add the plagiarism charge from season 1 and I hope that by waiting a few years (And better casting
...vince Vaughn anyone???) that the new season goes back to better story telling.

I just finished True Detective Season 1 and what I loved about it wasn't the storyline but the amazing acting by Woody and Matthew M. I haven't started Season 2, but unfortunately I've heard the comments about how it was a major drop off.

I should've gone into more detail, but for the sake of brevity, I didn't.

When I watched Season One, it took me more than a few episodes before I thought it was worth it. So when I began watching Season Two, I found that I was forcing myself (struggling) to watch it before I finally punted on it.

The bottom line is that I just don't want to invest my time anymore - especially when I've recorded other programs (that I'd rather watch) that I can play at the same time. And besides, if the reviews for "True Detective, Season Three" end-up being great, I can always watch it on HBO On Demand - so I really haven't lost anything.
The recording argument is valid, but then of course, that is how a lot of people approach most shows.

I agree. I liked S2 enough, but I understand why everyone hoping for more of S1 was disappointed by it. It's an anthology series, though, so each season is entirely unrelated and different. To say that you refuse to watch S3 would be like saying you refuse to watch any debut drama.

Ali is pretty good, so I'm optimistic.

Reactions: Jpripper88
I agree. I liked S2 enough, but I understand why everyone hoping for more of S1 was disappointed by it. It's an anthology series, though, so each season is entirely unrelated and different. To say that you refuse to watch S3 would be like saying you refuse to watch any debut drama.

Ali is pretty good, so I'm optimistic.
My complaint with Season 2 was that it got too confusing. I found myself having to look up blogs trying to figure it out. What really irritated me the most was one day when I read that the creator was actually changing the lyrics in the opening song every episode with "hints". Sheesh.

Being clever doesn't mean confusing.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
My complaint with Season 2 was that it got too confusing. I found myself having to look up blogs trying to figure it out. What really irritated me the most was one day when I read that the creator was actually changing the lyrics in the opening song every episode with "hints". Sheesh.

I hear ya. When it comes to television entertainment, I'm kinda lazy: I sit there and don't expect to be challenged to figure-out what's happening. When I find that I have to go back and read about what I just watched, that takes away some of the pleasure for me.

And blogs? When I read some of the interpretations that are discussed by others, I think that many of the conclusions that they come-up with are off-the-wall ridiculous -- to the extent that I've wondered whether we had watched the same program.

There seems to be a trend in TV that being mysterious has to continually be one-upped by creators. Mr Robot is a great example of a fantastic S1 that the writer just couldn't really repeat. I'm really hoping Westworld S2 doesn't succumb to this issue.

There seems to be a trend in TV that being mysterious has to continually be one-upped by creators. Mr Robot is a great example of a fantastic S1 that the writer just couldn't really repeat. I'm really hoping Westworld S2 doesn't succumb to this issue.
Same here. I think what Westworld S2 will have going for it is a lot of time in between the seasons. I don't think they even have a date yet? Earliest is 2018 from what I read earlier. Perhaps that has changed.

Same here. I think what Westworld S2 will have going for it is a lot of time in between the seasons. I don't think they even have a date yet? Earliest is 2018 from what I read earlier. Perhaps that has changed.
Full disclosure: I REALLY dislike Vince Vaughn. Can't stand him. Don't think he's at all funny, etc.

That said, I thought he was outstanding in TD#2.

Confusing, Excessively violent. Disjointed. All true in season 2. But, maybe the biggest fault is greed and venality is no substitute for the truly, totally wacked out evil in Season 1.

Not that Rust Cohle wasn't awfully wacked out too...

I agree Harve.

I think people are taking the easy way out and jumping on the bandwagon blaming Vaughn.

I think the biggest issue with season two was that they just made things too cluttered, thusly making it too difficult to get very interested in any of the main characters.

Season 1 had two main characters, their backstories, & one over-arching storyline. It was beautifully written & the acting was superb.. Despite both characters being crappy people, the entire aura of sadness allowed you to take an interest in them. Season two had FOUR characters & they never really got in depth enough for me to care too much.. I still thought season two was entertaining, but i just felt like the writers brainstormed & said "MORE SAD PPL WILL MAKE IT EVEN BETTER" & that missed the mark.

Im not the cinema nerd that a lot of people here are (i say that lovingly) so i could be way off with how they chose to form the second season, just my thoughts on it

It seemed to me that there was no real payoff for any story line except that Colin Farrell was that kids father. There was some good stuff but it was also a lot of just scenes happening. There were no real motivations for the characters either. Compared to season 1 where Rust Cole spent almost two decades chasing this guy down and Marty by the end of the show was a man all alone who wanted to do one last good thing. I also agree with P45 in that we spent so much time with Cole and Marty, causing them to be flushed out characters that we could root for even though they weren't the stereotypical heroes. In season 2 the main 4 characters all had their issues but I feel like they werent as depthful as the characters in season 1. Maybe the exception being Colin Farrell's character. Anyways, I'm excited for season 3 and I hope the setting isn't in modern day.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I think you are hitting the nail on the head.
The Taylor Kitsch character was all but inconsequential.

One season two positive in my mind, possibly its greatest redeemer is its ending. Season one ended unbelievably and in typically Hollywood fashion. Season two ended against the grain.

I am also impressed at how with tone, music, filming techniques that they made a purely contemporary story and time and created the feeling that this wasn't part of my world, it was a bit eerie.

I think the biggest issue with season two was that they just made things too cluttered, thusly making it too difficult to get very interested in any of the main characters.

Season 1 had two main characters, their backstories, & one over-arching storyline. It was beautifully written & the acting was superb.. Despite both characters being crappy people, the entire aura of sadness allowed you to take an interest in them. Season two had FOUR characters & they never really got in depth enough for me to care too much.. I still thought season two was entertaining, but i just felt like the writers brainstormed & said "MORE SAD PPL WILL MAKE IT EVEN BETTER" & that missed the mark.

Im not the cinema nerd that a lot of people here are (i say that lovingly) so i could be way off with how they chose to form the second season, just my thoughts on it

Yes. Exactly.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Lots of good points.

Best way I can describe it was the storyline for S1 was challenging and complex.

The storyline for S2 was convoluted and disjointed.

It took a long and emotional path, but you saw it all coming together by the end for S1.

S2 never felt complete, there were absurdities that never got resolved.

S1 was just epic. Truly exceptional performances by MM and Woody. I was not a real big fan of MM, but he got this at a point where he was really growing as an artist, and for me, his portrayal of Rust Colhe was at the level of Ian McShane's portrayal of Swearengen as the best I have seen. And, Woody put on a command performance, too.

Both seasons tried to create a somewhat sullen atmosphere. This worked better for S1, set in the south where it very much fit, almost romantic to what it is, not as much in an urban setting in S2.

As JRipper noted, S1 had 2 characters to flesh out, S2 had 4, so you have half the character development.

I would also note - both MM and Woody are from Texas, so they had the culture they were portraying in their bones.

As others noted, the actors in S2 just did not have the depth and experience that MM and Woody had, particularly Vaughn. Again, IMO, MM was fairly similar most of his career, but just had reached a point where he had matured and developed very rapidly.

As someone above noted, Farrell is a somewhat one dimensional guy, but his character showed the most development and evolution in S2.

S2 was not good, as others noted, it was a chore getting through it. That is exasperated by how incredible S1 was.

I have read where MM is more involved with S3. Not sure if he is acting, but I suspect that he wants the "franchise" to rebound and I hold out hope that he will help S3 to rebound.

one thing I really liked which was a common thread between both seasons....was the use of flyover filming.....with the camera soaring over the Louisiana swamps in S1 or the clogged freeways in California. i thought that was really cool.

But...I am an Aerial America junkie so what do i know?

one thing I really liked which was a common thread between both seasons....was the use of flyover filming.....with the camera soaring over the Louisiana swamps in S1 or the clogged freeways in California. i thought that was really cool.

But...I am an Aerial America junkie so what do i know?
I am a fan of Aerial America, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT