ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Washington Red...tails?

Dr. von Yinzer

Chancellor
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2010
This situation is moving very, very quickly but the Washington Redskins are definitely going to be changing their name.

They only real questions now are when will they do it and what will the new name be?

However, when all of your major sponsors are lining up against you, the game is over.

Some are saying the new name will be Warriors, others are predicting it will be Skins, with a football (pigskin) serving as the primary logo. Others are predicting Redtails - as an homage to African American airmen.

However, today, the rumor is that they have been positioning for this for a while and that the change could happen BEFORE the 2020 season.

That’s never going to happen but it does suggest that this is likely fait accompli.

I don’t know which name they’re ultimately going to choose, but I am now convinced this is going to happen.

I hear they are keeping the name and changing the logo.

5e188835b9ae583e575309622290c10c.jpg

This situation is moving very, very quickly but the Washington Redskins are definitely going to be changing their name.

They only real questions now are when will they do it and what will the new name be?

However, when all of your major sponsors are lining up against you, the game is over.

Some are saying the new name will be Warriors, others are predicting it will be Skins, with a football (pigskin) serving as the primary logo. Others are predicting Redtails - as an homage to African American airmen.

However, today, the rumor is that they have been positioning for this for a while and that the change could happen BEFORE the 2020 season.

That’s never going to happen but it does suggest that this is likely fait accompli.

I don’t know which name they’re ultimately going to choose, but I am now convinced this is going to happen.

Caving to the masses is never a good look. Snyder looks weak coming out of this.

Caving to the masses is never a good look. Snyder looks weak coming out of this.

Normally I am in this camp, but this is actually one name I must admit needs changed. All those schools who changed names from Indians/warriors/Etc I thought was a weak look but Redskins is too far over the top not just in todays climate but really even back when the name originated I can't believe it was just accepted.

Normally I am in this camp, but this is actually one name I must admit needs changed. All those schools who changed names from Indians/warriors/Etc I thought was a weak look but Redskins is too far over the top not just in todays climate but really even back when the name originated I can't believe it was just accepted.

Yep. It’s long overdue. And this ones a wrap. Matter of time, likely sooner than later.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Certainly not the masses wanting this. The masses usually worry about themselves rather than being “dogooders.”

But a huge percentage of American Indians don’t care. And probably not actual Indians either.

Certainly not the masses wanting this. The masses usually worry about themselves rather than being “dogooders.”

But a huge percentage of American Indians don’t care. And probably not actual Indians either.

How about the Bullets!

How about the Bullets!
No kidding. If you’re a DC sports fan, you’ve had your baseball team (technically) switch from the Senators to the Nationals, your basketball team switch to the Bullets, and now this. What’re the odds.

I wouldn't make a good "politically correct owner". With the history and tradition of being Washington Redskins, I'm not changing names, especially when most people could care less.

I think the Redtails is a great idea. You get to keep the colors, keep the fight song, and pay tribute to the Tuskegee Airmen.
redtails2.png

A tribute to the Tuskegee Airmen would be a most fitting way to shove it up the legacy and memory of Redskins founder George Preston Marshall, a virulent racist who was personally responsible for a league-wide bar on black players that began with his franchise's admission into the league (there were actually blacks in the NFL's early days) and lasted until after World War II, and whose team was the last in the league to employ a black player (which only happened after Marshall was forced to relinquish control of the team due to failing health).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Preston_Marshall

Last edited:
I wouldn't make a good "politically correct owner". With the history and tradition of being Washington Redskins, I'm not changing names, especially when most people could care less.

Maybe. But FedEx is pressuring them. Their gear has been removed from Nike’s web site. Pepsi is pushing. I’m sure there are other big sponsors. With that much money at stake you might find you’d change your mind. But maybe not.

Why not allow Native American tribes a voice on the matter. Allow them to make suggestions. Perhaps they don’t mind the name. The ones making the most noise are non Native middle age white journalists.

Reactions: Farnox
Why not allow Native American tribes a voice on the matter. Allow them to make suggestions. Perhaps they don’t mind the name. The ones making the most noise are non Native middle age white journalists.
Watch out Kansas City. The Chiefs will be next. Just think the oppression that has been shown by chiefs forcing those young natives into battle. I say the chiefs must make cash payments to those families they forced into battle. You think its funny- just wait and see!

A tribute to the Tuskegee Airmen would be a most fitting way to shove it up the legacy and memory of Redskins founder George Preston Marshall, a virulent racist who was personally responsible for a league-wide bar on black players that began with his franchise's admission into the league (there were actually blacks in the NFL's early days) and lasted until after World War II, and whose team was the last in the league to employ a black player (which only happened after Marshall was forced to relinquish control of the team due to failing health).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Preston_Marshall
Even better! :D

Reactions: TFBaum

What about the Washington Blackskins? Too soon?

In all serious, they are in a no win situation. People are going to be angry no matter what.

This should be easy. Redtails keeps the same colors, starts with Red, and honors the Tuskegee Airmen.
It will never happen, it makes too much sense.

I love the idea of someone saying just put the word "potatoes" after "Redskins". Washington Redskin Potatoes. Nothing offensive except maybe to Idahoans.

Here was the organization’s statement earlier today.
Screen-Shot-2020-07-03-at-11.13.55-AM.png

What stands out to me — like a sore thumb, frankly — from that formal statement was the last quote from Ron Rivera in which he spoke about “honoring and supporting Native Americans and our military

Wait, what?!

That is a WEIRD comment unless they are:
A.) Much further down this path than most seem to realize.

B.) Washington has settled on something like Redtails or Warriors or Renegades that could employ a military vestige.

This is from a written statement, so I doubt that he misspoke. I think we should all definitely take that as a MAJOR clue as to what to expect in the coming weeks.

I have no idea how this is going to play out, but if I had to bet on it, I think they are going to move on from the Redskins nickname, but not in time for this upcoming football season. That’s a wildly aggressive timeline, IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725

What stands out to me — like a sore thumb, frankly — from that formal statement was the last quote from Ron Rivera in which he spoke about “honoring and supporting Native Americans and our military

Wait, what?!

B.) Washington has settled on something like Redtails or Warriors or Renegades that could employ a military vestige.

This is from a written statement, so I doubt that he misspoke. I think we should all definitely take that as a MAJOR clue as to what to expect in the coming weeks.

Some context to Rivera's comment: his personal background. This excerpt from his Wikipedia entry:

Ronald Eugene Rivera was born in Fort Ord, California on January 7, 1962.[1][2] His father, Eugenio Rivera, was a Puerto Rican commissioned officer in the U.S. Army stationed in California. There Eugenio met his future wife, Dolores, who is of Mexican descent.[3] The family moved often due to his father's military service, with Rivera being educated in military bases in Germany, Panama, Washington, D.C., and Maryland.[2][4] The family eventually settled in Marina, California, where he attended Seaside High School and began playing football before graduating in 1980.[5]

Yes, it was the name that accomplished all of those things, not the franchise. Just like how everyone knows that when Muhammad Ali changed his name, he had to start again at the bottom of the boxing world because the change erased his history.

Come on. I hate political correctness, and I hate caving to the masses, but Redskin is a racial slur.
How can anyone defend it?

Easy. They're idiots.

Screen-Shot-2020-07-03-at-11.13.55-AM.png

Wait, what?!

I have no idea how this is going to play out, but if I had to bet my house on it, I think they are going to move on from the Redskins nickname, but not in time for this upcoming football season. That’s a wildly aggressive timeline, IMHO.
Agreed, and I also came to that conclusion from reading to this afternoon. As for the upcoming season, it probably wouldn’t be ready until 2022 at the very least. Typical rebrands take years to develop, finalize, produce apparel and on-field equipment, etc.

Maybe this logo as an homage to their proud past with the name change to Americans? Who could possibly hate this?
9a98f0f2d5ac61c56998431c6107cd5c.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT