ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Washington Red...tails?

Maybe this logo as an homage to their proud past with the name change to Americans? Who could possibly hate this?
9a98f0f2d5ac61c56998431c6107cd5c.jpg
I’d say the red skinned logo would be a pretty stupid move if a name change is done

Here was the organization’s statement earlier today.
Screen-Shot-2020-07-03-at-11.13.55-AM.png

What stands out to me — like a sore thumb, frankly — from that formal statement was the last quote from Ron Rivera in which he spoke about “honoring and supporting Native Americans and our military

Wait, what?!

That is a WEIRD comment unless they are:
A.) Much further down this path than most seem to realize.

B.) Washington has settled on something like Redtails or Warriors or Renegades that could employ a military vestige.

This is from a written statement, so I doubt that he misspoke. I think we should all definitely take that as a MAJOR clue as to what to expect in the coming weeks.

I have no idea how this is going to play out, but if I had to bet on it, I think they are going to move on from the Redskins nickname, but not in time for this upcoming football season. That’s a wildly aggressive timeline, IMHO.
Washington Windtalkers? I don't have time to edit a picture of Nicholas Cage onto a redskins banner.

FWIW--IMHO, irrespective of how one may feel pro or con about changing team names mascot names, etc---it is almost a certainty that pro sports TV viewership will (at least for a few seasons) take a significant hit--if only for the reason that many if not most sports fans are fans for entertainment and escape from daily life and politics and will be pissed that politics has been superimposed onto what was an escape from it.

Reactions: Farnox
FWIW--IMHO, irrespective of how one may feel pro or con about changing team names mascot names, etc---it is almost a certainty that pro sports TV viewership will (at least for a few seasons) take a significant hit--if only for the reason that many if not most sports fans are fans for entertainment and escape from daily life and politics and will be pissed that politics has been superimposed onto what was an escape from it.

You may prove to be correct but I have my doubts. People are so starved for entertainment, and live sports in particular, that I think darn near all will overcome the political crap. And there may be more tv viewers. People who won’t attend (either by mandate or voluntarily) will be watching. Who knows what the bar scene will look like. May be more people home than ever and my money is their TVs will be on the football networks.

Reactions: Ski11585
I’m all for listening to people and not just gauge things as offensive or “not offensive” from my white guy perspective.

i feel like this is the worst one of the names - makes u wonder what they were thinking. The possible counter argument is at what point do names become their own separate identity? In fact, I think of nothing BUT football when I hear that name.

Apparantly 90% of Native American voted that they “weren’t offended”. Not saying that was scientific. I’d like to hear more of their voices on this.

Apparantly 90% of Native American voted that they “weren’t offended”. Not saying that was scientific. I’d like to hear more of their voices on this.

That was a survey done by the Washington post on line of people who claimed to have native American heritage. A recent survey (link here: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1948550619898556?journalCode=sppa ) found that, for instance...

Of those polled for the study, 57% who strongly identify with being Native American and 67% of those who frequently engage in tribal cultural practices were found to be deeply insulted by caricatures of Native American culture.

In other words, it appears that people who say that they are Native Americans but who don't really identify with being so aren't really bothered, but that people who have a strong connection to an actual tribe are much more likely to be offended.

“We keep seeing clear examples of Native people speaking up and protesting these problematic team names and mascots. Yet, public opinion polls, with little methodological transparency, say that Native people are not offended. Things just don’t add up,” said study co-lead author Arianne Eason, a UC Berkeley assistant professor of psychology.

Reactions: Ski11585
This is to easy. Ladies and Gentlemen your Washington Sentinels. I mean they are basically a replacement team.

Reactions: Mikefln
That was a survey done by the Washington post on line of people who claimed to have native American heritage. A recent survey (link here: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1948550619898556?journalCode=sppa ) found that, for instance...

Of those polled for the study, 57% who strongly identify with being Native American and 67% of those who frequently engage in tribal cultural practices were found to be deeply insulted by caricatures of Native American culture.

In other words, it appears that people who say that they are Native Americans but who don't really identify with being so aren't really bothered, but that people who have a strong connection to an actual tribe are much more likely to be offended.

“We keep seeing clear examples of Native people speaking up and protesting these problematic team names and mascots. Yet, public opinion polls, with little methodological transparency, say that Native people are not offended. Things just don’t add up,” said study co-lead author Arianne Eason, a UC Berkeley assistant professor of psychology.

To be fair, sports logos aren’t the biggest problem Native Americans have. It’s kind of like ending a syrup brand to fix racial injustice. It’s a nice gesture but it’s not fixing any of the real problems.

Reactions: Mikefln
To be fair, sports logos aren’t the biggest problem Native Americans have. It’s kind of like ending a syrup brand to fix racial injustice. It’s a nice gesture but it’s not fixing any of the real problems.
So your position is “Redskin is a racial slur, but they should only change the name if changing the name will fix all Native Americans problems. “ ??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT