ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Watching SU v Pitt game again

RaleighPittFan

Heisman Winner
May 12, 2005
I noticed that Mark Herzlich pronounces Syracuse, “Searacuse”. As in, sear a steak.

I’ve always pronounced it, “Saracuse”, as in the girl’s name, plus “cuse”.

How do the folks from there pronounce it? @BurghGuy68 , aren’t you from there, or the Rochester area?

I think “Searacuse” sounds weird, and wonder what’s correct.

Very OT, I know.

i say it like Mark. "Sear" "A" "cuse".

i also say "Lou--a--ville". not "louie-ville.

I noticed that Mark Herzlich pronounces Syracuse, “Searacuse”. As in, sear a steak.

How do the folks from there pronounce it? @BurghGuy68 , aren’t you from there, or the Rochester area?

Very OT, I know.
I absolutely cannot stand the way most of these bozos pronounce “Louisville “

“Looaavul”…”Loreaphul”…. Like they carry their balls in their mouths or something.😂

Very OT, I know.
I’ve learned over the years that the technical proper annunciation is “Searacuse,” and most Yinzers say it incorrectly (“Saracuse”). For example, Twitter made fun of Pat McAfee a few years back when he was doing a Thursday night CFB game and pronounced it that way.

Oh well, I’ve said it that way my whole life because family and neighbors grew up saying it that way. Not changing now. :)

I’ve learned over the years that the technical proper annunciation is “Searacuse,” and most Yinzers say it incorrectly (“Saracuse”). For example, Twitter made fun of Pat McAfee a few years back when he was doing a Thursday night CFB game and pronounced it that way.

Oh well, I’ve said it that way my whole life because family and neighbors grew up saying it that way. Not changing now. :)
It was named after Siracusa, in Sicily, which is also pronounced "searacusa."

Very OT, I know.
Sear-a- cuse

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Then again, we pronounce towns in Rochester funny...Charlotte as Char-LOTTE and Chili as 'Chai Lye"

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It was named after Siracusa, in Sicily, which is also pronounced "searacusa."
I was actually going to write that I pronounce it like Siracuse with the i making a long e sound like it does in Italian. So maybe more like Seeracuse than Searacuse.

ADVERTISEMENT