ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Welcome To Wrexham

I’m watching Chelsea vs Fulham right now. Man, Tim Ream must have been like a fine wine. He seems to have gotten better with age. Just a solid, solid defender and leader.

I’m watching Chelsea vs Fulham right now. Man, Tim Ream must have been like a fine wine. He seems to have gotten better with age. Just a solid, solid defender and leader.
He definitely has improved with age. He is so cerebral and that's what makes him right now a top CB in the EPL. I mean he's having a world class season.

So far Fulham are the EPL top dawgs of West London. Of a total of 12 points between Fulham, Chelski and Brentford, the Whites have grabbed 7 of 9 with one final game against the Bee's to play.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
He definitely has improved with age. He is so cerebral and that's what makes him right now a top CB in the EPL. I mean he's having a world class season.

So far Fulham are the EPL top dawgs of West London. Of a total of 12 points between Fulham, Chelski and Brentford, the Whites have grabbed 7 of 9 with one final game against the Bee's to play.
What Pep said to him a couple months ago was discussed here, right? When Pep said if you were 25 instead of 35 you’d be playing for me and not Fulham?

• Love
Reactions: Allan McMurray
What Pep said to him a couple months ago was discussed here, right? When Pep said if you were 25 instead of 35 you’d be playing for me and not Fulham?
And he would. Fulham would make that sale for a king's ransom. I wish he was 25 as well, anchor on the backline for the national team for years to come.

And he would. Fulham would make that sale for a king's ransom. I wish he was 25 as well, anchor on the backline for the national team for years to come.
That’s exactly what my son said today. It’s too bad he won’t be playing in 2026.

• Sad
Reactions: Allan McMurray
That’s exactly what my son said today. It’s too bad he won’t be playing in 2026.
Some guys it takes a little longer to clique. Tim is that guy, I think we are fortunate we were able to get this Tim Ream for the WC and I know Fulham is unbelievably pleased right now.

Some guys it takes a little longer to clique. Tim is that guy, I think we are fortunate we were able to get this Tim Ream for the WC and I know Fulham is unbelievably pleased right now.
You could hear the visitors end at Stamford bridge yelling his name in unison today. I don’t get to watch Fulham often so I only picked up on it today.

You could hear the visitors end at Stamford bridge yelling his name in unison today. I don’t get to watch Fulham often so I only picked up on it today.
He is a cult legend. Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam can be heard numerous times per game. Still, like Puli, is a "yank" in some of their eyes and gets basically dog shitted on.

Wrexham hosts Notts County Monday. Both are on 100 points and if there is a winner, that team will most likely finish 1st and get automatic promotion especially if its Wrexham since they have a game in hand. A Wrexham wins means NC has to win their last 3 and hope Wrexham lose 2 of their last 4 just to hopefully go up on goal differential. Big game. Anyone know where to watch in the US? ESPN+?

Wrexham hosts Notts County Monday. Both are on 100 points and if there is a winner, that team will most likely finish 1st and get automatic promotion especially if its Wrexham since they have a game in hand. A Wrexham wins means NC has to win their last 3 and hope Wrexham lose 2 of their last 4 just to hopefully go up on goal differential. Big game. Anyone know where to watch in the US? ESPN+?
I subscribe to nationalleaguetv.com. You can get a one day pass for like $10. A month long is like $22. This way, I get to watch all of the Wrexham matches. You can catch any of the National League matches on there.

I bought the National League TV package, and have been streaming all of their games since January. I watched yesterday. It was absolutely incredible. The crowd was absolutely insane. It was like a combination of New Year’s Eve at midnight and “we just won the war!“. What a fantastic story. Reynolds and McElhenney are the perfect owners, with the perfect mindset. It’s about the city and the team, not them. Season 2 of Welcome To Wrexham is going to be must see TV.

I bought the National League TV package, and have been streaming all of their games since January. I watched yesterday. It was absolutely incredible. The crowd was absolutely insane. It was like a combination of New Year’s Eve at midnight and “we just won the war!“. What a fantastic story. Reynolds and McElhenney are the perfect owners, with the perfect mindset. It’s about the city and the team, not them. Season 2 of Welcome To Wrexham is going to be must see TV.

I wished the show was only on maybe a month delay. It takes away from it knowing what happened.

This is a great story though. I dont know how you cant pull for them. You would think they have a good chance of promotion next year 2. Finish in the Top 6 and they can win promotion through a 4 team playoff

I wished the show was only on maybe a month delay. It takes away from it knowing what happened.

This is a great story though. I dont know how you cant pull for them. You would think they have a good chance of promotion next year 2. Finish in the Top 6 and they can win promotion through a 4 team playoff

Yeah, it's always a great story when owners with a lot more money than everyone else in the league come in and buy their way to a championship. Who doesn't love that?

Yeah, it's always a great story when owners with a lot more money than everyone else in the league come in and buy their way to a championship. Who doesn't love that?
How much were they allowed to put into the team and how much will they be allowed to put into it next season? I thought there were rules that prohibited buying promotion.

How much were they allowed to put into the team and how much will they be allowed to put into it next season? I thought there were rules that prohibited buying promotion.

According to an article on ESPN about their promotion, they may have to cut payroll next year because League One and League Two have rules that limit player salaries to a percentage of turnover, and the National League does not.

Supposedly the average player in the National League makes the equivalent of about $1200 per week. Wrexham has 20 players making more than that, up to as much as $7535 per week.

According to an article on ESPN about their promotion, they may have to cut payroll next year because League One and League Two have rules that limit player salaries to a percentage of turnover, and the National League does not.

Supposedly the average player in the National League makes the equivalent of about $1200 per week. Wrexham has 20 players making more than that, up to as much as $7535 per week.
In other words, not such a Cinderella story.

The Ryans are rich but they aren't EPL rich, probably not even Championship rich. If they get to the EPL, they would probably have to sell the club (at an immense profit) or at least sell large equity shares to raise money because they arent anywhere near as rich as those owners. Now, I know they arent close to that yet and we are talking about the National League but I am sure there are other rich owners in the league. But that isnt really the point. I realize they have more resources than some or all in that league but for me, its "good guys" attempting to do something great for a town, for a small-town club. Even if this is 100% fake and for profit, it doesn't come across this way. They come across as really really great guys trying to help this town and club. Its pretty fascinating to me. I mean something like this has never happened in sport....2 high profile celebs buying a lower tier team and trying to move up. They have become one of the 4 or 5 teams in all of sports that I follow the most.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Heartbreak city at The Racecourse. 10 Man Sheffield United found an equalizer in the 95th minute to force a replay at their place. Watched some of the game. Teams looked pretty even despite being separated by 71 places.

Wrexham is back into the Round of 32 after going out in a replay in that round last year. This year, they go to Blackburn Rovers, who are 17th in the Championship. Wrexham is currently 3rd in League 2. Are these games only on ESPN+?

Wrexham is back into the Round of 32 after going out in a replay in that round last year. This year, they go to Blackburn Rovers, who are 17th in the Championship. Wrexham is currently 3rd in League 2. Are these games only on ESPN+?
I would assume so. Where else would they be? I watched Chelsea on espn+ in the Moose Cup semi on Tuesday and watched their FA Cup match vs Preston on the app as well. I can’t imagine what it was like for world football fans 30 years ago. Now I don’t even bat an eye. I know that any match I want is available to watch. If it’s a euro match, it’s Paramount+. If it’s a domestic match, it’s NBC/Peacock or espn+.

Edit: maybe you’re wondering about one of the many Spanish speaking networks. But I don’t even pay attention to those because everything I want I have access to on English speaking platforms/networks.

Last edited:
I saw one of my Dads lifelong friends over the holiday. We were talking about another one of their good friends (Bob) who ran in their circle who died a couple of years ago. He was a huge Pitt fan and a huge soccer fan as well. He was such a huge Pitt guy that I’m sure he was on this site. Probably one of the originals. Anyway, I remember as a kid going to his house and thinking it was weird that he had this huge satellite dish in his yard so that he could watch soccer. Anyways, we were laughing because this guy was telling me a story how there was a huge match between Liverpool and Man United in the 80’s, maybe it was a Cup Final or huge League match, and Bob didn’t have access to the match and had no way of knowing who won. It’s all he could think about. So he called the US embassy in London to get someone to tell him the result. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT