ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Went down a Jesus Lizard rabbit hole..

uci_panther

Junior
Aug 29, 2001
My son and his gf, lead singer for Skating Polly, are taking the old man to see the Jesus Lizard for my 60th bday on Sunday out here in SoCal. I saw David Yow & co play 2x (bee hive & city limits) in early, mid90s, and again at Lallapooloza in at Star Lake Amphitheater in ‘95.

I was sure each local show was with Tar & the Karl Hendricks Trio but turns out I saw Don Caballero & not KHT at City Limits. Anyone else go to these shows? I forgot how good Don Caballero was!

Now… if someone could please find me the line up of bands that played The 40 Watt Club in July of 1994 w The Mekons, I can go to sleep… Been searching for years re: the opening acts on the Retreat From Memphis tour that I saw that memorable night in Athens, GA…

My brother is friends with Yow.

I saw JL about a million years ago (1997?) somewhere in the Strip district ( Metropol?)

Reactions: Butler Pitt Fan
My son and his gf, lead singer for Skating Polly, are taking the old man to see the Jesus Lizard for my 60th bday on Sunday out here in SoCal. I saw David Yow & co play 2x (bee hive & city limits) in early, mid90s, and again at Lallapooloza in at Star Lake Amphitheater in ‘95.

I was sure each local show was with Tar & the Karl Hendricks Trio but turns out I saw Don Caballero & not KHT at City Limits. Anyone else go to these shows? I forgot how good Don Caballero was!

Now… if someone could please find me the line up of bands that played The 40 Watt Club in July of 1994 w The Mekons, I can go to sleep… Been searching for years re: the opening acts on the Retreat From Memphis tour that I saw that memorable night in Athens, GA…
Don Cab was great! I knew the drummer from his time in Half Life and they and KH T were great. I was more into the then re-emerging punk rock scene in Pittsburgh, but always loved Yow and JL.

Saw them tonight here in SoCal. They were really great! Yow is still a hoot, took him about 10 seconds to crowd surf, lotsa goofy banter.
Had the chance to meet him before the show, definitely not the dunk he portrays on stage (most of the 3 cans of beer he brought on stage ended up in the crowd.) What was really funny (to me) was that he kept pointing out his personal trainer to his friends, and then making them feel his muscles. Fortunately, I was spared squeezing his bicep, but many were not! 😂😂
Solid 90 minute show w 2 encores.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT