ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What’s Good Now On TV?

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Looking for recommendations.

Right now, the only series I watch are “Jeopardy”, “Better Call Saul”, which is ending in 3 more episodes and “Trying”, an excellent British show that just began its third season on Apple TV. (Highly recommended, but you must watch the first two seasons first.)

Waiting for the third and final season of “Derry Girls,” which should be coming to Netflix this Fall, and, hopefully, new seasons of “Endeavor”, “Shetland” and “Unforgotten.” And maybe a new season of “The Great British Baking Show.”

Other than that, I tried “The Morning News” but it is too agonizingly slow. There is only one Aaron Sorkin and no one else can deliver that kind of a show.

Hoping to find at least a few good shows for late Summer and Fall.

Reactions: President Stache
Dark winds was very good.

Westworld has been better but basically is just the matrix at this point.

Better call saul is spectacular including last night's episode which was just great.

The Offer about the making of the Godfather, Mr. Mercedes Stephen King at his finest , Just started Black Bird on Apple TV not bad so far, The Great on HULU is really funny -- Letterkenny & Shorsey 2 canadian comedies. The Boys on Amazon is fantastic but extremely TV-MA. Netflix the Witcher & Peaky Blinders are great.

Right now, the only series I watch are “Jeopardy”, “Better Call Saul”, which is ending in 3 more episodes and “Trying”, an excellent British show that just began its third season on Apple TV. (Highly recommended, but you must watch the first two seasons first.)

Waiting for the third and final season of “Derry Girls,” which should be coming to Netflix this Fall, and, hopefully, new seasons of “Endeavor”, “Shetland” and “Unforgotten.” And maybe a new season of “The Great British Baking Show.”

Other than that, I tried “The Morning News” but it is too agonizingly slow. There is only one Aaron Sorkin and no one else can deliver that kind of a show.

Give Black Bird on Apple TV a chance. There are four episodes so far and I've found them very interesting. If you are looking for something of a more action variety, on Amazon Prime a show staring Chriss Pratt called the Terminal List is very good. Last suggestion on Amazon Prime is Bosch, I loved the series and just launched a new series called the Bosch Legacy.

The Offer about the making of the Godfather, Mr. Mercedes Stephen King at his finest , Just started Black Bird on Apple TV not bad so far, The Great on HULU is really funny -- Letterkenny & Shorsey 2 canadian comedies. The Boys on Amazon is fantastic but extremely TV-MA. Netflix the Witcher & Peaky Blinders are great.
Mr mercedes was one of the better king adaptations but it fell off after season 1. It was clear the tv direction wanted to keep more in the "real world" as opposed to the more supernatural element of kings trilogy

Only Murders in the Building - the Steve Martin/Martin Short show, it’s a pretty light comedy/mystery which is an easy watch. 1 season done, in middle of second season now. Hulu.

Peaky Blinders i've heard . My son called me and highly recommended . Irish mob stuff I think . I haven't had time to check it out . He really liked it . I trust him ...

Was in isolation with COVID two weeks ago and ended up binging all 3 seasons of Barry on HBO. Feel like it was heading off the deep end at times with the ridiculousness but overall I think it’s a pretty good mix of suspense & comedy, episodes are only 30ish mins too with 8/season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJsE and ratking17
Terminal List is good. Also 2 seasons of Pretty Hard Cases after the first 1-2 episodes.

Was in isolation with COVID two weeks ago and ended up bringing all 3 seasons of Barry on HBO. Feel like it was heading off the deep end at times with the ridiculousness but overall I think it’s a pretty good mix of suspense & comedy, episodes are only 30ish mins too with 8/season.
I agree Barry is entertaining

Dark winds was very good.

Westworld has been better but basically is just the matrix at this point.

Better call saul is spectacular including last night's episode which was just great.
Unpopular opinion warning - westworld was never good
an older series worth watching :
Mr Robot

Reactions: Jeffburgh

The Last Kingdom on Netflix...Solid dark ages Saxon vs Danes saga...somewhat more historically accurate than Vikings..

Last edited:
Reactions: lmbjr24 and BigNate

New Game of Thrones in less than a month.

Can't really name any currently airing as I'm not really watching any right now, but a few good recents.

-Clarkson's Farm on Amazon was pretty good from 2021 and earlier this year
-The Tourist on HBO Max (Just started watching it so can't say how good it is but Jamie Dornan was great in The Fall. Also The Fall if you haven't seen it)
-Our Flag Means Death on HBO I enjoyed for about 5 episodes

Was in isolation with COVID two weeks ago and ended up binging all 3 seasons of Barry on HBO. Feel like it was heading off the deep end at times with the ridiculousness but overall I think it’s a pretty good mix of suspense & comedy, episodes are only 30ish mins too with 8/season.
Barry is great. Love.it

New Game of Thrones in less than a month.

Can't really name any currently airing as I'm not really watching any right now, but a few good recents.

-Clarkson's Farm on Amazon was pretty good from 2021 and earlier this year
-The Tourist on HBO Max (Just started watching it so can't say how good it is but Jamie Dornan was great in The Fall. Also The Fall if you haven't seen it)
-Our Flag Means Death on HBO I enjoyed for about 5 episodes
Cant wait for the new GOT prequel. We had a great run of all-time best shows these last 10 years or so all at the same time but that's come to an end

The Bear is a must watch. Best show this year so far. The Old Man is great too. Just really intense and can be slow moving.

I finished Season 1 of The Bear. Really excellent. Jeremy Allen White, formerly Lip on Shameless, is as good as you would expect. The entire cast is first rate.

I am a big fan of John Bernthal, who has a small role as the deceased Michael, former owner of the restaurant. He has an intriguing face. Personally, I love the fact that he and his brother run a shelter for pit bulls and work to get acceptance for the breed. On my way back from Barcelona, I spent 3 days with pit bulls: Gracie, my brother’s pit bull who I have known for years; and Wiggles and Nugget, my niece’s two young pit bulls, who are incredibly gentle around her 3 month old daughter. (Also, with Wallace, my nephew’s English bulldog, who outweighs them all, loves watching TV and barks at every dog on TV.)

Looking forward to Season 2.

ADVERTISEMENT