ADVERTISEMENT

OT: what does life look like on the other side.

Colleges are going to have to realize that the physical plant and all of the brick and mortar won’t be necessary. Hopefully costs per credit also come down.

big city real estate cost per square foot. The world won’t need as much office space so that’s going to drop in price. I am sure the real estate people in NYC are thinking about this.

reduction in attendance at large indoor and outdoor entertainment events. From sports to concerts. A percentage of those that go will just stay at home. The cost of a ticket and the luxury comfort of viewing on a big ass flat screen are already shaping the slow drop off in attendance. Now the thought of getting something from the person sitting next to you will add to the decline.

Colleges are going to have to realize that the physical plant and all of the brick and mortar won’t be necessary. Hopefully costs per credit also come down.

big city real estate cost per square foot. The world won’t need as much office space so that’s going to drop in price. I am sure the real estate people in NYC are thinking about this.

reduction in attendance at large indoor and outdoor entertainment events. From sports to concerts. A percentage of those that go will just stay at home. The cost of a ticket and the luxury comfort of viewing on a big ass flat screen are already shaping the slow drop off in attendance. Now the thought of getting something from the person sitting next to you will add to the decline.

well you really can't do closed book tests this way so I don't think this model is 100% sustainable.

well you really can't do closed book tests this way so I don't think this model is 100% sustainable.
If everyone takes the exam at the same time with their webcam running you could easily have proctors watching. Also the software for online exams is pretty slick and gets better every year.

If the future includes less classrooms on campus, and more at home online,

Then certainly this clears the way for demolition of buildings to finally construct SeanMillerFan memorial stadium.

A second round of virus will hit in the fall. Ether the coronavirus or the more deadly hanta virus will hit and will be much worse than the first round. The elderly will be decimated and the middle class will be be devastated. The rich will regain their losses, if any, and life will go on.

I am hopeful that we will realize that it was unwise to allow our supply chain and economy to be so closely linked to a country that for the most part, isn't developed, and doesn't share our values. Hopefully we will start to see some reversal of the policies and trends that we've seen over the past 25-30 years.

That would seem to be the common sense reaction to this, but I have my doubts. Unions or no unions, Americans aren’t/can’t work for a few dollars a day or whatever it is they’re able to get out of China.

My strong suspicion as a veteran observer of human behavior is that greed will win out — as it almost always does — and these mega corporations will convince themselves, what are the odds of something like this ever happening again?

These are people who are openly pondering about whether or not it’s the worst thing in the world if 2.5% of the population is killed by this disease if it means we save the economy. We think they’re going to find religion over this?

No chance.

ADVERTISEMENT