ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What local news do you watch....

My two favorite things local weather does...........

1) is they put the forecasts of all of these towns around Western Pa on a scroll running below (I think Channel 4 does this).......I mean today in New Kensington it will partly cloudy with a high of 42 and low of 34. Today in Oakmont is will be partly cloudy with a high of 42 and low of 34. Today in Murraysville it will partly cloudy with a high of 42 and a low of 35. Like in one of those towns (all within 10 miles of each other) is going to be 72 degrees and sunny. Just pick a town in the northwest part of the viewing area like New Castle, North like Butler, Northeast like Punxsytawney, East like Latrobe, Southeast like Uniontown, South like Morgantown, Southwest like Washington, Pittsburgh can rep Allegheny county as it is in the center and "we're good".

2) When a particular thunderstorm is coming, they are trying to be so precise that they come up with these names that aren't even on the maps to "personalize" it, like in 10 minutes the storm will be over the Willoughby household, I mean I think they literally make up names. Where I live, they said "Sligo". Sligo is a friggin ghosttown that disappeared 100 years ago or more. I have lived in this area for 50 years, and I have never ever heard a native say "Sligo" in reference to the area. But damn some brilliant news director saw this on some map sometime and figured "hey, use that name, that will pinpoint the storm accurately".........I think this is hilarious, they do this all the time.
Fun fact: My Mom's from Rimersburg, and had family in Sligo.

Channel 4 most of the time. KDKA has gone downhill and 11 seems to be a low budget production. I'm not real happy about their propensity to jettison their weather anchors though.

Channel 4 most of the time. KDKA has gone downhill and 11 seems to be a low budget production. I'm not real happy about their propensity to jettison their weather anchors though.
Of course it went downhill, they hired Richie Walsh.

Last night’s top story on wpxi after the footbal game was 2 girld fight in a bathroom in char valley hs. Really? It’s top news cause someone video taped it? Thanks god no cell phones with video cameras in my day....

This may not be appropriate, but it is the truth for me. If an attractive female is providing the news, then I am more inclined to keep it on that channel.
Overheard in auto parts store:
"Hey, Jackie Cain is leaving WTAE!"
"Wow, we're going to miss them."
Hey I said I overheard it, not said it! True Story!

It is the Fox News model. Blondes and short skirts.

Reactions: Pitt1313
This may not be appropriate, but it is the truth for me. If an attractive female is providing the news, then I am more inclined to keep it on that channel.
Well yeah, this goes without saying. It’s kind of the reason why every pharmaceutical sales rep hired over the last 25 years was a hot college grad in her mid 20s. Doctors don’t want wined and dined by middle age male sales reps.

Reactions: NTOP
They're all just talking heads. I get my news online.

I watch the tv news for the eye candy. For traffic, Channel 11's Trisha Pittman.

zUpwRL8.jpg

For news, KDKA's Julie Grant.
kOmBSf5.jpg

Reactions: passedout
Overheard in auto parts store:
"Hey, Jackie Cain is leaving WTAE!"
"Wow, we're going to miss them."
Hey I said I overheard it, not said it! True Story!

It is the Fox News model. Blondes and short skirts.
I saw that she is moving to the Twin Cities ironically enough.

Fun fact: My Mom's from Rimersburg, and had family in Sligo.
But it's not THAT Sligo. That is a real town. This is some area along the Allegheny River in Harrison Twp that existed like in the 1850's when there were mines, and hasn't been occupied in over 100 years.

Mr. Pitt-girl finds the way David Muir stands or sits with stiffly bent elbows very odd. And if you watch him for a little while, it's true. Like a wooden marching solider.
And he gets his orders from John Podesta.

I watch all 3 local but I mostly watch WTAE because I knew/know the personality. I went to Seton LaSalle for a few years with Ryan Recker and I also went to Canevin for a few years with John Myers who left the news casting business and Ryan replaced him. Both of them are good people.

Reactions: mike 301
What was the real reason behind Krenn leaving? Was it money or did they think he wasn’t funny anymore.

What was the real reason behind Krenn leaving? Was it money or did they think he wasn’t funny anymore.
I remember seeing an interview with him about it .
He said he came into work one day and he was told thanks but we are going in another direction .
He was blown away .
No hard feelings with management but walked out just like wtf ?
Okay . Life goes on .
True professional

Been hearing more Stanely P. Kachowsky lately on commercials .
Hopefully they know his Burgh value to the airwaves
If not .. Just good to hear him .

I watch the tv news for the eye candy. For traffic, Channel 11's Trisha Pittman.

zUpwRL8.jpg

kOmBSf5.jpg
Julie , Julie , Julie ... yikes she beautiful

Andrew Stockey always gave great Pitt coverage, when I was there. He's very likeable not sure why anyone would dislike him.

OT...Jay Harris who's now an ESPN Sportscenter anchor, I remember when he was on the Fox Pittsburgh affiliate.

zUpwRL8.jpg

kOmBSf5.jpg
I really misremembered that incident with Quinn and Banana. It was Liz Randolph who won the lawsuit not Pittman.

Sorry about that!

Last edited:

It's only human nature. Which is why for a long time, advertising has used attractive people to push their products.

I completely stopped watching local news. I think people mainly watch it for entertainment and/or to feel more connected. The weather is the worst. They actually have three weather segments. The Pre Weather, where you are told to stay tuned for the Weather segment later on. Then the Main Weather segment, where they spend half the time telling you about the weather that already happened... which of course we all know because we were alive. Then they tell you the forecast, which should take bout 10 seconds at most, but it doesn't. Then they come back with the Post Weather, and I'm not even sure the point of this segment.

All they really need to do is tell people the high/low coming up and the rain/snow chances and how much. That can be done in 10 seconds tops.

But... it's not about the actual weather, and that's why many stations seem to be moving towards the hot but serious looking women, so men will watch because the girl is hot, but also woman will watch because the forecast appears serious.

zUpwRL8.jpg

kOmBSf5.jpg
Excellent examples you cited!

:D yep, I'm the same way too. That's how I decide on which news program to watch....lol
I actually find I have been watching Hyundai commercials this holiday season, all the way through, because of the fetching blonde girl who traipses through the ads. And I'd never buy a Hyundai in a million years.

Reactions: cbpitt2
Excellent examples you cited!

I actually find I have been watching Hyundai commercials this holiday season, all the way through, because of the fetching blonde girl who traipses through the ads. And I'd never buy a Hyundai in a million years.
Why? They’re actually pretty good cars w excellent warranties.

I know a guy that got into a fight with Ken Rice at a fast food restaurant. It might be the funniest story ever.

In a respectable note, I met Peggy finnegan a few times and she literally has magical eyes. I know, sounds cheesy but damned if you don’t meet her in person and get lost in her eyes. This blue that I’ve never seen. And this from a guy who NEVER notices a woman’s eyes.

I still have a thing for darieth Chisholm, I really want her to do weird and offensive things to me. Richie walsh is the man, the lone pitt fan in Pgh media. We should be nicer to him, despite his propensity for premature reporting.
Ken Rice carried my previous manager from a flooding car.... He was a dude with a bad hip. True story.

Why? They’re actually pretty good cars w excellent warranties.
That last line was more for comic effect (sadly the rest of the post is totally true). I'm sure that they are fine cars now. Back when I graduated from Pitt though, Hyundai had only been in America for a few years. My good friend was given one (an Elantra or what it might have been called then?)by his parents as an early grad present. My buds and I were living near Bates street, nobody else yet had a car. He picked us up to go for a ride to the grocery mecca of S. Oakland, the South Side Giant Eagle ... the car gasped, shuddered and dropped its transmission right on Semple St. I think it had like 1500 miles total on it.

ADVERTISEMENT