ADVERTISEMENT

OT: When does a rock band, "expire"?

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I kind of danced around with this subject before. And this mostly applies to those bands that have been together for 15 years or more. When do they cease being relevant, not as a draw or a show, but their NEW music ceases being relevant in the fact of charting, and radio play, etc....

Memo. This happens to ALL bands. Everyone. The biggest to ordinary bands. I see no one really immune to this. In a sense, it is why I call these bands, especially those 25 years and counting, devolving into "cover bands". As they just, or at least the fans that go to their concerts, really just want to hear their own classics. Sure, there are some new songs that grab ya, but given your preference, you are going to say see the Stones do Sympathy For the Devil over something off of their Bigger Bang CD.

In many cases, I feel bad for these bands, because they are artists and they want to create, but what happens they "expire" as far as new music relevance and become nostalgia. And part of this, the real joy and attraction we have to music, is many of us get attached to these bands in our teens, times were great, truly a time of innocence and discovery, and their music always puts us back in the place.

I will name some of my favorite bands first and foremost, U2. U2's first music was so fresh sounding, raw, political, really powerful. Then under some influence with Brian Eno (Roxy Music) and Daniel Lanois and produced the Unforgettable Fire. Then came Joshua Tree which ushered them in as the "biggest band in the world". Personally, I think Achtung Baby (where they reinvented themselves) is their best overall album, and they were at their peak live. This is 1992. Zooropa then followed which was completely different mixed reviews. Pop sucked. All That You Leave Behind was great with some great songs. Beautiful Day, Walk On, Elevation, etc... It is 2000. The group has now been together 22 years. Then? Mostly crap. I mean I hate the song Vertigo, but I hate with the power of a 1000 suns "Get on Your Boots".

At this point, I go to U2 concerts, I don't want to hear new music. I want to hear their classics. I think 85% of the people who go to U2 Concerts is hoping they play New Year's Day or Streets or 11 O'Clock Tic Tock over any of their songs the last 15 years.

I look at Pearl Jam....pretty much similar feelings. They were gangbusters out of the gate. Kind of in the middle some "meh" music and recent offerings better. But you want to hear Alive. Or Jeremy.

So....when do bands "expire". I am almost thinking it is about 12-15 years, maybe 20, but once they hit this mark, especially if they have an early catalog that was successful, at some point it becomes all about your past. Which again, is frustrating I imagine for the artists. Those immune to this are pretty much those groups who have been around a long time, but maybe finally breaks it big after 10-12 years, but those are rare.

I think you're probably right with 12 - 15. It's honestly probably closer to 10. Same is generally true of great filmmakers depending when they hit their stride.

I disagree that bands can expire. Streaming music has enabled lots of younger people to find older bands. Now some bands keep going despite the fact they suck. They might be over their heads in musical ability, but still exist.

To answer your question, bands expire when they start playing the county faire circuits.

I assumed he meant the level of the quality of their output dipped considerably from where it was at their peak.

I think it is hard to sustain early success due to changing band members as well, whether intentionally or tragically with those who pass early. Some of the greats had both early and later success (Bruce with the Rising in early 2000's, Tom Petty with multiple great later records in life, etc., but it does seem more rare. Allman Brothers added members like Warren Haynes and had some good new music as well. One who I think is underrated is Chris Cornell. But his act took so many faces, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, his solo work, Audioslave, etc. But I guess it is akin to athletes. Some have a few good years, whereas others have hall of fame careers.

The Eagles had a pretty long shelf life. They remained popular even while they were split up. Pretty incredible how long they lasted with all of the changes but to me, they "expired" when Glenn Frey died. Couldn't imagine going to see them live without him.

Steve Miller Band was great and got a ton of play on the radio but they were awful live in the 90's. Dude couldn't remember the words to songs.

So maybe the criteria should be, "when they just aren't the same live anymore."

Good post. I know they're very much love/hate, but DMB is a great example. They've been around for... 25 years now? But if I were to go to a concert, I really just want to hear stuff up through Busted Stuff, which came in in 2002. So... yeah about 10 years.

Yeah, I am not even talking about a band losing their draw. Many of these bands still draw packed live concerts. But there hasn't been a relevant Stones song for what? 25 years? The groups still have their fans and followers, but at some point it all becomes about nostalgia and their past music instead of their current music. I am trying to think of any band that has been around 15-20-25 years that it isn't?

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
It's interesting to me that rock bands (and even hip hop groups) have a hard time pulling off the changes required to "remain relevant" beyond a decade (I am thinking of putting out new releases that people truly care about) even if they were very able to change musical styles for a period of time (clash, talking heads, etc.) But solo artists in some cases have been able to do this for decades -- Bowie, Prince, Dylan, Madonna, Billy Joel, Elton John, Beyonce have all created culturally relevant music over a longer time arc than "bands."

Springsteen kinda exists "in between" ? He reminds me more of like a "band leader" ala James Brown?

It's interesting to me that rock bands (and even hip hop groups) have a hard time pulling off the changes required to "remain relevant" beyond a decade (I am thinking of putting out new releases that people truly care about) even if they were very able to change musical styles for a period of time (clash, talking heads, etc.) But solo artists in some cases have been able to do this for decades -- Bowie, Prince, Dylan, Madonna, Billy Joel, Elton John, Beyonce have all created culturally relevant music over a longer time arc than "bands."
I think some bands "changed it up". U2 did. But eventually they plateaued with their last change. It is hard. Hard to write songs as a 20 year old vs a 50 year old. Sometimes, and this is weird to say, they become too proficient in their instruments, some of the attractions of groups earlier work was the rawness of the music.

But even above, Billy Joel in no way selling records like he did in the late 70's and 80's. Elton John. Bowie and Prince (RIP). Madonna, Basically you are supporting my post. I am not talking about them being big draws, they still are. But their new music isn't. They don't dominate the charts with their new singles or albums. They still can fill arenas, but they are again, mostly "nostalgia" events.

It alsol depends upon what you value most. As an artist is in selling records or making the music you feel compelled to make? Is it expanding upon your craft or making the same album 10 different times?

I am very much a byproduct of the 90s alternative scene. You can't tell me that nine inch nails doesn't make great music 30 years out. They were just nominated yesterday for an Emmy because of Trent and Atticus work on watchmen.

Is Dave grohl and foo fighters not still packing arenas and making killer songs?

Metallicas last album was fabulous.

Tool maybe waited almost 15 years to make their last album and while some of my tool friends thought it wasn't their strongest album, I would put pnuma and tempest up there as 2 of their greatest songs ever (on a 7 song album, if I remember correctly. )

How about the pumpkins. Corgans 2018 shiny and bright tour was mostly sold out arenas with almost 3 hour sets.

I think one thing to finally keep in mind is the death of the album and death of radio. Most people don't listen to full albums and most don't list to terrestrial radio anymore. So it is really difficult to guage success and popularity like in past years.

Take the grateful dead. They performed from 1967-1995 when Jerry died. While they had many well known songs throughout their career, their only top 40 song came in 1986 with touch of grey, which I would say was due largely to the MTV airplay. As a jam band each show was significantly different so they always evolved and had completely different shows and setlists.

Maybe they are an anomaly to this discussion

I don't necessarily think bands or artists have to expire. If they're still releasing good music and/or playing good shows, then they haven't expired. Yeah, some bands have been performing greatest hits shows for decades. And some bands are still living off the fumes of their heyday while just playing lesser version of the same shows they already have played before. But there are also plenty of artists who have released GREAT music in their 60s (maybe even 70s) and played great shows during that time, too. And there are also artists who have made comebacks after being written off by most people. People thought Dylan was kaput after the three consecutive Christian albums, but he went on to release great albums decades later.

As for Pearl Jam... I don't see them as a greatest hits act at all. I'm not their biggest fan, but my understanding is that they have a very cult-like fan base, and they play a lot of deeper cuts live and switch up the setlist a great deal.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
The Rolling Stones actually have a very good song out right now. But no one knows.

David Bowie's last album was one of his best. But no one knows.

The Allman Brothers Band, with just three original members, released an excellent album that turned out to be their last.

Bands expire when their fans quit following them and just listen to their greatest hits or favorite albums.

Good post. I know they're very much love/hate, but DMB is a great example. They've been around for... 25 years now? But if I were to go to a concert, I really just want to hear stuff up through Busted Stuff, which came in in 2002. So... yeah about 10 years.
I really like big whiskey
I think come tomorrow is pretty good too
Up in the air - meh has a couple good songs

I really like big whiskey
I think come tomorrow is pretty good too
Up in the air - meh has a couple good songs

Yeah, I was a bit quick to toss out Big Whiskey, but I definitely think I lean heavily to the first 10 years. Remember Two Things was one of the first CDs I picked out myself.

I mean, has anyone successfully reinvented themselves as much as Bowie did? He's the outlier.

Yeah, I was a bit quick to toss out Big Whiskey, but I definitely think I lean heavily to the first 10 years. Remember Two Things was one of the first CDs I picked out myself.
The recently ep has been my rediscovered listening

just like tool opiate - forgot how much I loved it

Jerk-Off opening riff was something I absolutely stole when a few of us would jam .

I mean, has anyone successfully reinvented themselves as much as Bowie did? He's the outlier.

I've always thought Springsteen was the master of reinvention. Not immune to rough patches, but he has certainly made some triumphant comebacks and just released an amazing album last year.

I don't know a ton about Bowie, but I do think Blackstar (I imagine that was his last, unless there's something I don't know about) was a very strong album. So he clearly wasn't spent when he put it out... at nearly 70 years old.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
It alsol depends upon what you value most. As an artist is in selling records or making the music you feel compelled to make? Is it expanding upon your craft or making the same album 10 different times?

I am very much a byproduct of the 90s alternative scene. You can't tell me that nine inch nails doesn't make great music 30 years out. They were just nominated yesterday for an Emmy because of Trent and Atticus work on watchmen.

Is Dave grohl and foo fighters not still packing arenas and making killer songs?

Metallicas last album was fabulous.

Tool maybe waited almost 15 years to make their last album and while some of my tool friends thought it wasn't their strongest album, I would put pnuma and tempest up there as 2 of their greatest songs ever (on a 7 song album, if I remember correctly. )

How about the pumpkins. Corgans 2018 shiny and bright tour was mostly sold out arenas with almost 3 hour sets.

I think one thing to finally keep in mind is the death of the album and death of radio. Most people don't listen to full albums and most don't list to terrestrial radio anymore. So it is really difficult to guage success and popularity like in past years.
Again, you are kind of missing my point. Though Smashing Pumpkins was one that has come to mind, but again while the stuff was great and show was great, it was nowhere near as popular as Disarm. I am just saying bands run a course across a generation or a generation and a half, and then the next generation is already onto something else. Doesn't mean they don't put out good music, if not great, but they aren't reaching the masses like they use to.

Again, you are kind of missing my point. Though Smashing Pumpkins was one that has come to mind, but again while the stuff was great and show was great, it was nowhere near as popular as Disarm. I am just saying bands run a course across a generation or a generation and a half, and then the next generation is already onto something else. Doesn't mean they don't put out good music, if not great, but they aren't reaching the masses like they use to.

Recruits...I love this thread...great discussion...but define how you reach the masses? Is it record sales when really no one buys records anymore. Is it touring? Someone mentioned Dave Matthew's band above and while I loathe his music, he consistently sells out outdoor venues every summer. Do you define success as YouTube views? For musicians that can now directly sell their music to the fans without record labels or making music videos, I don't know how you define relevant right now.

Reactions: Ski11585
Recruits...I love this thread...great discussion...but define how you reach the masses? Is it record sales when really no one buys records anymore. Is it touring? Someone mentioned Dave Matthew's band above and while I loathe his music, he consistently sells out outdoor venues every summer. Do you define success as YouTube views? For musicians that can now directly sell their music to the fans without record labels or making music videos, I don't know how you define relevant right now.

I don't know if it's easier or more difficult to achieve popularity these days, but it's definitely... different. I just think that established bands aren't really even trying to reach new fans anymore. Back in the day, everyone heard the same songs on the radio. Now, how does a band like DMB market themselves to younger fans? And what's the incentive to reach a younger fans base that isn't going to pay for their music anyway? Touring is mostly where the money is at, and they'll probably have people coming to their shows for as long as they're able to perform, because most of them are probably the same age as the band members, give or take.

I don't know if it's easier or more difficult to achieve popularity these days, but it's definitely... different. I just think that established bands aren't really even trying to reach new fans anymore. Back in the day, everyone heard the same songs on the radio. Now, how does a band like DMB market themselves to younger fans? And what's the incentive to reach a younger fans base that isn't going to pay for their music anyway? Touring is mostly where the money is at, and they'll probably have people coming to their shows for as long as they're able to perform, because most of them are probably the same age as the band members, give or take.
It’s why videos are all on Instagram and YouTube now
You can directly go to the consumers
Rather than paying a middleman like radio stations and mtv

That's a big part of it. Certainly mainstream music tastes have changed. I think of the top 100 singles of 2019, like 50 of them are "black" and a large portion are of the Taylor Swift realm. There was no really rock/alt rock/hard rock.

So this maybe part of it. But again, even the Stones, their last top 10 hit was in 1989. Their last #1 was in 1978.

I think some bands "changed it up". U2 did. But eventually they plateaued with their last change. It is hard. Hard to write songs as a 20 year old vs a 50 year old. Sometimes, and this is weird to say, they become too proficient in their instruments, some of the attractions of groups earlier work was the rawness of the music.

But even above, Billy Joel in no way selling records like he did in the late 70's and 80's. Elton John. Bowie and Prince (RIP). Madonna, Basically you are supporting my post. I am not talking about them being big draws, they still are. But their new music isn't. They don't dominate the charts with their new singles or albums. They still can fill arenas, but they are again, mostly "nostalgia" events.

Sure, I'm agreeing actually. I mean the severe decline of like album oriented rock and buying physical media is now an old story. My only point is that a lot of bands hit a 10 year limit before this current morass; where some of those solo artists maintained relevancy for over 20 before ending in the same dustbin of history.

There are interesting niches now for people who want more traditional popular music (e.g. k-pop) but mostly it's a longer dead era than many anticipated.

That's a big part of it. Certainly mainstream music tastes have changed. I think of the top 100 singles of 2019, like 50 of them are "black" and a large portion are of the Taylor Swift realm. There was no really rock/alt rock/hard rock.

So this maybe part of it. But again, even the Stones, their last top 10 hit was in 1989. Their last #1 was in 1978.

The 90's was the last great era for music. I didn't even fully appreciate it at the time. Even though I'm not a fan of wailing guitar solos and whatnot, I didn't didn't consider 90's artists to be quite the musicians that the 70's artists were, because their music was often four chord wonder and, in general, just a lot simpler (even though I still enjoyed the hell out of 90's music... even at the time). But it doesn't matter. There were still great songs. And so many of them, too. Just a great era for music that will likely never happen again.

As people get older, they tend to get set in their ways. Each generation tends to have their own musical heroes, who tend to be fairly young, and younger people tend to have less interest in their parents heroes, than in their own. Young people are the biggest consumers of new music, and it's hard for artists over 45 to appeal to the youth. When I was a kid, Sinatra, and Ellington, along with many of their peers, were still performing, and I saw them on tv many times. Never really had any interest in buying any of their stuff, although as a graybeard, I can now appreciate their bodies of work. Beyonce's been super popular the last 15-20 years, and she'll continue to be a popular live draw, but I can guarantee that in 10 years, teenagers will have little interest in what some nearly 50 year old lady is singing.

The 90's was the last great era for music. I didn't even fully appreciate it at the time. Even though I'm not a fan of wailing guitar solos and whatnot, I didn't didn't consider 90's artists to be quite the musicians that the 70's artists were, because their music was often four chord wonder and, in general, just a lot simpler (even though I still enjoyed the hell out of 90's music... even at the time). But it doesn't matter. There were still great songs. And so many of them, too. Just a great era for music that will likely never happen again.
90s has a ton of garbage too

every decade Of music is the same
We remember what we liked if we are fans and forget the drecK

Yeah certainly we have our music and our genre's, but I like alot of music that I am hearing now (of course similar genre's and thank god for Satellite radio) but the National, Courtney Barnett, War On Drugs, the Decemberists, Head and the Heart, etc.....I like alot what I hear.

So they are still putting out good music, music that I like, but unfortunately (or fortunately) it is not as mainstream as say when Nirvana exploded onto the scene with Smells Like Teen Spirit.

It’s why videos are all on Instagram and YouTube now
You can directly go to the consumers
Rather than paying a middleman like radio stations and mtv

Well of course. But I think it's debatable if the benefits to that outweigh how things used to be. It used to be a lot harder to be heard, whereas now even the "little guys" can put themselves out there. But even if fans do like your music nowadays, they're probably not going to buy it. At least before, you had a chance of writing a hit, getting airplay, and scoring some album sales/making new fans.

Yeah certainly we have our music and our genre's, but I like alot of music that I am hearing now (of course similar genre's and thank god for Satellite radio) but the National, Courtney Barnett, War On Drugs, the Decemberists, Head and the Heart, etc.....I like alot what I hear.

So they are still putting out good music, music that I like, but unfortunately (or fortunately) it is not as mainstream as say when Nirvana exploded onto the scene with Smells Like Teen Spirit.

I've tried the National and War on Drugs. Just doesn't resonate with me, for whatever reason. It's just the songwriting that lacks, in my opinion. They're not as catchy; the lyrics aren't as good; etc. And when I say catchy... I'm not even a fan of pop music, and I listen to a ton of very dry folk music. So I don't really know why I don't like it, but it just feels like a soulless monotone ambiance.

The 2000s and 2010s couldn't touch the 90s. To say otherwise is to tell me your trusty '92 Dodge Neon is just as good as a Lamborghini.
Frankly -
If you’re open minded to different types of music -
Yeah plenty of great music being made .
If you are predisposed to only viewing guitar forward distortion heavy as really the only good music - like the majority of 90s bands -
Yeah you aren’t going to like the music as much

Perhaps that’s why I’ve gravitated toward more hip hop because that’s where the innovation in music is driving .
I think there are really good bands out there right now -
Twentyone pilots , chvrches, vampire weekend, Matt and Kim , and Royal blood stand out off the top of my head

everyone likes the music of their teens and early 20s best .

hell I was at Woodstock 99 and thinking it was the pinnacle of music .
Rewatched some of it on YouTube lately - ugh
Kid rock, insane clown posse , creed, lit, limp bizkit.

Last edited:
Frankly -
If you are predisposed to only viewing guitar forward distortion heavy as really the only good music - like the majority of 90s bands -

Perhaps that’s why I’ve gravitated toward more hip hop because that’s where the innovation in music is driving .
Twentyone pilots , chvrches, vampire weekend, Matt and Kim , and Royal blood stand out off the top of my head
No, you gravitated because you are the coolest kid in the class. And you only do what others won't, because you have the courage and conviction to be your own person. Not a sheep. You are a blazer. A cool blazer.

Frankly -

Run the jewels is making amazing music

Every now and then I'll listen to the 60s on 6 on Sirius/XM. Was there a bad song written in the 60s?

I kind of danced around with this subject before. And this mostly applies to those bands that have been together for 15 years or more. When do they cease being relevant, not as a draw or a show, but their NEW music ceases being relevant in the fact of charting, and radio play, etc....

Memo. This happens to ALL bands. Everyone. The biggest to ordinary bands. I see no one really immune to this. In a sense, it is why I call these bands, especially those 25 years and counting, devolving into "cover bands". As they just, or at least the fans that go to their concerts, really just want to hear their own classics. Sure, there are some new songs that grab ya, but given your preference, you are going to say see the Stones do Sympathy For the Devil over something off of their Bigger Bang CD.

In many cases, I feel bad for these bands, because they are artists and they want to create, but what happens they "expire" as far as new music relevance and become nostalgia. And part of this, the real joy and attraction we have to music, is many of us get attached to these bands in our teens, times were great, truly a time of innocence and discovery, and their music always puts us back in the place.

I will name some of my favorite bands first and foremost, U2. U2's first music was so fresh sounding, raw, political, really powerful. Then under some influence with Brian Eno (Roxy Music) and Daniel Lanois and produced the Unforgettable Fire. Then came Joshua Tree which ushered them in as the "biggest band in the world". Personally, I think Achtung Baby (where they reinvented themselves) is their best overall album, and they were at their peak live. This is 1992. Zooropa then followed which was completely different mixed reviews. Pop sucked. All That You Leave Behind was great with some great songs. Beautiful Day, Walk On, Elevation, etc... It is 2000. The group has now been together 22 years. Then? Mostly crap. I mean I hate the song Vertigo, but I hate with the power of a 1000 suns "Get on Your Boots".

At this point, I go to U2 concerts, I don't want to hear new music. I want to hear their classics. I think 85% of the people who go to U2 Concerts is hoping they play New Year's Day or Streets or 11 O'Clock Tic Tock over any of their songs the last 15 years.

I look at Pearl Jam....pretty much similar feelings. They were gangbusters out of the gate. Kind of in the middle some "meh" music and recent offerings better. But you want to hear Alive. Or Jeremy.

So....when do bands "expire". I am almost thinking it is about 12-15 years, maybe 20, but once they hit this mark, especially if they have an early catalog that was successful, at some point it becomes all about your past. Which again, is frustrating I imagine for the artists. Those immune to this are pretty much those groups who have been around a long time, but maybe finally breaks it big after 10-12 years, but those are rare.
U2 is just in a league of their own. The way they’ve been able to reinvent themselves is a talent that many bands don’t possess. The stones are an example of a band that just no longer has that great songwriting ability. They expired and everything since the time they did has been rubbish. Another great band, one of my favs, Van Halen, put out dreadful stuff when David Lee Roth came back to the band. And I agree. U2’s achtung baby is one of the best albums of all time in my opinion and U2 probably isn’t even in my top 10 favorite bands.

Whenever you start these threads, I often mention the band Belly. They were tops for me between 1991-1995. They had two albums In that period that were brilliant in every way if you’re into 90’s alternative. They weren’t a flash in the pan but they weren’t that far off from it. They made the cover of Rolling Stone, did Letterman on more than one occasion, were heavily played and covered by MTV, toured with bands like REM and then expired after only two albums. Then, fast forward to today, thanks to Pandora, where I set up a Belly channel, I started hearing Belly songs that I never heard before. As it turns out, they reformed after 25 years and put out a new album last year, and I have to say that the stuff is pretty good. How amazing is that...stumbling upon new music from a band that you enjoyed a generation ago. And the fact that a handful of the new songs are almost as good as they were way back when, is a real blessing for me. It’s like winning the lottery in a sense.

Frankly -

Yeah, I can't handle stuff like Twentyone Pilots and Chvrches. To me, that's just the epitome of surface-level awfulness. 90's music isn't my first love, but I do enjoy it. I'm lucky that some of my favorite artists are still putting out quality albums in their later years, but I recognize that won't last much longer.

Some older bands resign themselves to being an “oldies” band, simply because “it pays the bills”. A lot of rockers only know the music business, so working a “normal 9-to-5” is unthinkable for them.

Mark McGrath (of SUGAR RAY) addressed this in an interview a couple of years ago. Basically, he said that while he wishes that they were turning-out hits again, he’s flattered that fans approach him at their shows and thank him for playing songs that were really important to them. Fans say that those songs were popular during some of the best, most fun years of their lives, and hearing Sugar Ray play them again helps them to re-live the memories.

McGrath says that if he can make people feel good, and he can continue to make a good living while doing it, then he’s blessed. And really, who can disagree with that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT