OT: When was it that everybody, including grown men

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by recruitsreadtheseboards, Jun 9, 2017.

1. recruitsreadtheseboards

recruitsreadtheseboards All P I T T !
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

started to wear jerseys to games? Anyone? Just looking at a old highlight from the 80's and noticing in the crowd the majority of people in regular clothes, not looking like they are ready to step into the game if a coach makes the call.

I am not going to judge (even though I don't) but when did this happen? It happened in my adulthood. The mid 90's? I am trying to see when. Now? Holy cow. But anyone think back if they wear a jersey now, to if you have been going to games, did you always or when did you start?

2. Swervin27

Swervin27 Head Coach
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I went to a lot of Steeler games in the early 90s when I was in high school most people had jerseys on.

I don't see the issue with kids or adults wearing jerseys to sporting events. I mean adults are basically paying a lot of money to go watchCollege kids play a kids game or to watch adults play a kids game so most dignity is already lost. why is it not cool to wear a jersey when you've already cross that line

2 Swervin27, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    President Stache likes this.
  3. Panther Parrothead

Panther Parrothead Board of Trustee
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes I wear one, but when I do it's usually after the weather gets colder. Otherwise, they're really uncomfortably warm. In colder weather, they're easy to layer.

For me, it's a demonstration of solidarity with the team. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think it started (In Pittsburgh) when the Steelers started to win with regularity. And the availability of the jerseys: the fact that you can even buy a jersey is a relatively new phenomenon.

Pitt79 likes this.
  4. recruitsreadtheseboards

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah the Steeler fans were amongst the earliest fanbase to do this. I am not judging Swerve. Just asking when I saw a photo of a UNC basketball game with Mike Jordan in 1982 and the crowd had maybe some UNC hats, but you didn't have that see of unis. Of course, in BB this never really became as big as football or hockey (or soccer). Just curious on yinzes thoughts.

5. Swervin27

Swervin27 Head Coach
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

THe NFL was always popular but really reached new heights in the late 80s, that's probably when the NFL started to push their merchandise more, realized they had a money maker with selling these jerseys. add in the invention of the Internet and online sales doubled or tripled from the early 90s till now.

6. recruitsreadtheseboards

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I always wear a hat (say Pitt, Steelers, Pens, Pirates) if I am going to the game. Last time I wore a Steeler jersey was back in the mid 90's (Chad Brown). That is about the same last time I wore a Pens jersey.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to, and love jerseys, I just don't. A polo shirt in warm weather, sweater/hoodie in cooler weather. I do wear colors, so again not judging. But it is funny to see old photos of crowds

7. RaleighPittFan

RaleighPittFan Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

I can see the family of a Pitt football player wearing his jersey to a game to support him. I think that's pretty cool. But that's were it ends for me.

I'm not judging either, but I'm of the belief that if you're not on the team, you don't get (or wear someone else's) a jersey.

8. DiehardPanther

DiehardPanther Scholarship
    Expand Collapse

The strangest thing I have seen are grown adults wearing sports jerseys to church. I saw a guy wearing an Ickey Woods jersey about 2 years ago in church. I still hope it was a practical joke or else the guy lost a bet.

WiseAndGlorious likes this.
  9. Pittx9

Pittx9 All Conference
    Expand Collapse

I think the 90s, maybe later in the 80s. I've seen old family members wearing jerseys back in the 70s (steelers jerseys), but they were much different than the jerseys fans wear nowadays.

10. Swervin27

Swervin27 Head Coach
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Damn recruits, last jersey I had too was a white steelers Chad brown #94 jersey myself. NIce bro.

11. Las Panteras

Las Panteras Freshman
    Expand Collapse

It is particularly annoying watching the hockey douchebags wear the team sweater.......

4Mark_Marty likes this.
  12. Ski11585

Ski11585 Head Coach
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I absolutely judge.

I stopped wearing jerseys when I realized the names of the guys on my jersey were younger than me.

tbroman, Jpripper88 and caleco's like this.
  13. HailtoPitt

HailtoPitt Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

The moment someone in the NFL realized that they could make the jerseys in China for $2 and then sell them for over $100 in the US.

14. PHATWOOD

PHATWOOD Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

I owned a Hartford Whalers jersey in high school.

I have never worn a jersey to a sporting event.

I have never and would never wear another man's name on my back even if I did wear jerseys.

caleco's likes this.
  15. Swervin27

Swervin27 Head Coach
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I was at kennywood Monday and I can say with 100% honesty, I saw zero steeler jerseys. Yinzer nation is letting me down.

A ton of pens gear but that is too be expected of course.

16. recruitsreadtheseboards

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Good taste!!!

17. recruitsreadtheseboards

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That's fair Ski. About where I am.

Ski11585 likes this.
  18. Swervin27

Swervin27 Head Coach
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

People that wear hockey jerseys outside of hockey games are d-bags. I agree with that. Nothing beats the grown man wearing a basketball jersey though. If they have matching shorts, you almost have to assume they are doing it as a joke.

Panther Parrothead likes this.
  19. recruitsreadtheseboards

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

And they are always the best of physical specimens.

Ski11585 likes this.
  20. H2P-2007

H2P-2007 Redshirt
    Expand Collapse

I don't mind people wear jerseys to a game (although, as said above, basketball jerseys are always a no-no), but when people wear them at other times I question their judgment.

Swervin27 likes this.
  21. ncyajleel

ncyajleel Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Lol. I kind of felt the same way. I realized that I was wearing jersey with some "kid's" name on it and felt stupid. Now I just wear a hat of the team I'm watching.

Another thing I don't like is people wearing jerseys of Steelers that played in the 70's to current games. I feel that is not supporting the team, to me its kind of an insult to them.

Also, I was at the hockey game last night with my son and I wanted to buy a current Penguin jersey with no name and number. He told me that's kind of dumb because there is no name on it. I thought that was interesting

JoeD99 likes this.
  22. Joe the Panther Fan

Joe the Panther Fan Athletic Director
    Expand Collapse

Back in the late 80s it was kind of a big deal that the Penguins sold jerseys with more than one or two players names on them. At that point most teams only sold jerseys of star players. If you were in the Penguins store at the Civic Arena you could get a jersey for most of the players on the team.

23. Burgh15

Burgh15 Scholarship
    Expand Collapse

Real good question, but it is incredible to go to a Steelers game and see so many people in jerseys.

Swervin27 likes this.
  24. caleco's

caleco's Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have one jersey, my employees bought for my bday 12 years ago. the number is my day of birth, the name on the back is mine. it never leaves the house but can be spotted on my body on gameday. 34 years of season tickets and counting, I don't feel bad wearing it INSIDE MY HOME ONLY

25. wbrpanther

wbrpanther All P I T T !
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have noticed this and wondered about it too. Looking and the shear number of game jerseys in the crowd at any given time I figured that at over 100 bucks a jersey there is easily over a million bucks worth at any given time.
    Games have now become events for the younger crowds. They dress for the occasion and have no problem dropping big bucks to attend. If you have it, flaunt it, I guess.

26. Hailpitt

Hailpitt Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I remember back in the 1970's my grandfather used to lament that people did not dress properly at Steelers games. I did not get his criticism until I saw old black and white photos from the 1940's and 1950's of NFL, MLB and college football games. Bascically it was all white people with men wearing sport coats, white shirts and ties long overcoats and fedoras. Woman wore dresses and fancy hats. They all looked like they were in church ( not that anyone dresses up for church anymore). Times change and tastes/ social mores evolve.
    Who cares what people wear to ball gamse!

levance2 likes this.
  27. Las Panteras

Las Panteras Freshman
    Expand Collapse

As I think about this (and i do not disagree with the OP)......

I have thought about the imbeciles that get "dressed up" for sporting events.

I immediately thought of the fools in the dog pound in Cleveland, or the idiots in Oakland wearing whatever the f&%k it is they wear for raiders games......

But right here in our very own backyard......the idea that grown adults will get dressed up in pirates costumes to go to PNC for a ballgame is childish, immature.....and ridiculous beyond words.....

having said that.....when chicks wear the beards to stanley cup games i find that to be strikingly cool........

28. Darth_VadEER

Darth_VadEER All American
    Expand Collapse

After age 15, you shouldn't wear a jersey.

I've gotten into many arguments with friends over this. They get offended when I tell them how sloppy and stupid they look.

The hockey jerseys look like giant sized pajamas and people wear them all the time.

Hot girls can wear football/basketball jerseys if they are tight and show off their body- that's the only real exception.

I also have developed a dislike for hoodies. I swear some men don't own any shirts without a hood. They are appropriate for games but go buy a shirt with a collar and be a grown up.

pittdan77 and DiehardPanther like this.
  29. Darth_VadEER

Expand Collapse

Other clothing I consider inappropriate for men:

Sandals/flip flops - They are only acceptable if you are at a beach or pool. Otherwise, cover your nasty feet.

Cargo shorts - They always look super baggy and ugly. Shorts shouldn't go below the knee and what do you need these giant pockets for?

Crocs - with or without socks, it doesn't matter. No man has ever been laid wearing crocs. It's the most effective form of birth control.

Camouflage - If you aren't hunting, you don't need to wear camouflage.

Skinny Jeans - If you are actually thin, fine. But I see chubby men in them and I dont understand how they made the decision to leave their house.

30. RaleighPittFan

RaleighPittFan Walk-on
    Expand Collapse

I'll add, by a woman. I'm sure a few males have been laid because of crocs.

31. ncyajleel

ncyajleel Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I wear cargo shorts to hold my keys, wallet, money, or anything else. I need those cargo pockets to hold things because when tailgating I have a drink in each hand. All those things buttoned up in my cargo short pockets, I know they are safe and won't be lost.

32. caleco's

caleco's Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't agree about cargo shorts. very functional. the length on mine are just at the top of the knee. long ones are a bit ugly

I TOTALLY agree about skinny jeans. wtf?!?! especially the saggy ones

rockypanther likes this.
  33. Darth_VadEER

Expand Collapse

I knew my comment about cargo shorts would meet opposition, but I'm standing my ground.

However, if they help you drink better, I will allow it - but you better be guzzling those beers!

Swervin27 likes this.
  34. Swervin27

Swervin27 Head Coach
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I have a camo baseball hat that fits perfectly. I feel like I am dressing for Walmart in uniontown when I wear it but it's the only hat that fits my damn head.

I enjoyed wearing flip flops but have come to the conclusion that it looks so foolish for anyone over the age of 30.

Cargo shorts are for kids.

35. Darth_VadEER

Expand Collapse

I don't get the argument that cargo shorts hold all your stuff - so do pockets on regular pants.

What are you carrying?

36. Darth_VadEER

Expand Collapse

Buy some good quality leather dockside shoes. Once they break in they slip on and off just like sandals....I never un-tie mine, and the leather ones don't make you sweat.

37. Swervin27

Swervin27 Head Coach
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Dockside shoes? I would but im not gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course.

rpost3, _fugazi_ and JoseLind13 like this.
  38. Darth_VadEER

Expand Collapse

If you could see the fury in my eyes right now....good day sir!

39. pitt-girl

pitt-girl Athletic Director
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Eh - not all guys can carry it off, but personally I think men with jeans and flip flops are kind of hot. Call me crazy. Again, it is not for everyone.

But then I find a man who can love a cat hot too. ;)

40. Darth_VadEER

Expand Collapse

You ma'am, are one sick unit.