pittizit

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Terrible being blown out by 20 by Illini at home first half
Lance white not the guy
Just a cheerleader not a coach

Reactions: jctrack
Yeah if anyone cared his seat would be scalding hot.

And speaking of not changing staff… only one he replaced was the dude who left for I think Miami

Reactions: pittizit
Yeah if anyone cared his seat would be scalding hot.

And speaking of not changing staff… only one he replaced was the dude who left for I think Miami
That’s the problem no one cares but it could be another revenue producer if they were decent

I’m at the game, we have made a decent amount of shots. But just a sieve defensively. Illinois is shooting over 60% from the field lol

I’m at the game, we have made a decent amount of shots. But just a sieve defensively. Illinois is shooting over 60% from the field lol
White is not the guy I’ll say it again his teams are weak and not technically sound at all

But just a sieve defensively.

I have been watching basketball for a long time, and I cannot remember a worse defensive game than that. Illinois cooled off in the 4th quarter when they were playing the end of their bench, but at the end of the 3rd they were making 65% of their threes and 57% of their twos.

They couldn't stay with anyone in their man, and the zone was somehow even worse. They kept changing what zone they were playing because everything they tried was a miserable failure. They were playing some odd defense that looked like a 2-1-2, except with one of the two guards playing way out high and the other back at the foul line, which made it more like a 1-1-1-2. On a day when the opponent was raining threes on them. And then they switched to a 1-3-1 that looked like what you would think a 1-3-1 would look like if you went down to the Y and randomly picked five guys who had never played a 1-3-1 before and told them that that was how they had to play. They managed the rare feat of leaving people wide open at the three point line while simultaneously leaving people wide open under the basket.

I know it's happened before, but I have never seen a women's team score more than 100 points in a regulation game before. If Illinois didn't take their foot off the gas tonight they would have hit 100. And then some. They scored 61 points in the 2nd and 3rd quarters combined.

Reactions: KennyTheKangaroo
Pitt out-rebounded 36 to 22.

Pretty sorry when you shoot 45% and lose by 21…

This team really needs a center…

Surprised at how much freshman Washenitz played at PG. She gets out-of-control some, but seems like a clever player.

Freshman Strickland looks like she will be a good player - high energy, decent size, and can shoot 3s…

Go Pitt.

Pitt out-rebounded 36 to 22.

Pretty sorry when you shoot 45% and lose by 21…

This team really needs a center…

Surprised at how much freshman Washenitz played at PG. She gets out-of-control some, but seems like a clever player.

Freshman Strickland looks like she will be a good player - high energy, decent size, and can shoot 3s…

Go Pitt.

In the second quarter Pitt had three rebounds, and two of them were team rebounds, balls that got knocked out of bounds by Illinois players.

I had to go back and check the play by play afterwards, because I really thought we went through a whole quarter without one player getting a rebound. But Maliyah Johnson did get one.

One.

Washenitz is interesting. You can see how she scored so many points in high school. She can contort her body into all sorts of odd positions and still get off and make a shot. They need to settle her down a little, but she could be a player.

Strickland looks like a good shooter when she can get her feet under her. Hopefully she can broaden that out as time goes on. But tonight was just one game, so no conclusions yet.

Reactions: MajorMajors
I have been watching basketball for a long time, and I cannot remember a worse defensive game than that. Illinois cooled off in the 4th quarter when they were playing the end of their bench, but at the end of the 3rd they were making 65% of their threes and 57% of their twos.

They couldn't stay with anyone in their man, and the zone was somehow even worse. They kept changing what zone they were playing because everything they tried was a miserable failure. They were playing some odd defense that looked like a 2-1-2, except with one of the
playing way out high and the other back at the foul line, which made it more like a 1-1-1-2. On a day when the opponent was raining threes on them. And then they switched to a 1-3-1 that looked like what you would think a 1-3-1 would look like if you went down to the Y and randomly picked five guys who had never played a 1-3-1 before and told them that that was how they had to play. They managed the rare feat of leaving people wide open at the three point line while simultaneously leaving people wide open under the basket.

I know it's happened before, but I have never seen a women's team score more than 100 points in a regulation game before. If Illinois didn't take their foot off the gas tonight they would have hit 100. And then some. They scored 61 points in the 2nd and 3rd quarters combined.
My sense reading on here
is that you're AT the game.
I've never seen them in
person. Nobody on here
has criticized White as
much as I have.

As for the offense it looks
to me like this year they
actually have a clue and
aren't trying racehorse
Bball. They actually settle,
and try and run something.
I saw a big talent gap
that to me was the
difference last night.
Being there, what did
you see?

Defensively it was awful,
and easily as bad as you
described it. My sense is
besides the talent gap,
we're steps slow and don't
adjust. Wholesale subbing
and doing the same isn't
an adjustment, The zone??
I'm glad you identified it
because I had no idea at
all what it was. Sitting there
and watching, can you tell
if the coach is adjusting at
all? Are they trying to
coach them as to what's
happening on the floor?
Watching on tv it's hard to
tell.

Last edited:
I was at the Illinois game. During time outs, Coach White normally first huddles with the other coaches, then he talks to the team with the 5 players in the game being seated while the rest of the players stand behind or to the side of the seated players.

Yesterday I did see the assistants talking to players on the side. At one point Coach DiPillo huddled with the 5 starters out on the floor after Coach White had spoken to the team.

Yesterday there did seem to be a couple players a bit confused when they came off the floor - I presumed it was about defensive breakdowns…

I don’t think Clesca, Strother or Ezeja got in the game yesterday - that may be a new record for Coach White. I’d rather see Clesca that Hayford though…

Go Pitt.

I was at the Illinois game. During time outs, Coach White normally first huddles with the other coaches, then he talks to the team with the 5 players in the game being seated while the rest of the players stand behind or to the side of the seated players.

Yesterday I did see the assistants talking to players on the side. At one point Coach DiPillo huddled with the 5 starters out on the floor after Coach White had spoken to the team.

Yesterday there did seem to be a couple players a bit confused when they came off the floor - I presumed it was about defensive breakdowns…

I don’t think Clesca, Strother or Ezeja got in the game yesterday - that may be a new record for Coach White. I’d rather see Clesca that Hayford though…

Go Pitt.
Thanks. Ok, the coaches are
communicating with the
players. The key is, do the
players make an on court
adjustment after? My sense
at least the other night, is
no they don't.

I can understand some of
of those players not getting
floor time. Your point about
Clesca instead of Hayford.
The problem though is Amy
is playing the best ball of
her career......far fewer TO's,
looking to distribute, and
settling out front. That's
not an endorsement. It's
just that she was sooooo
bad in prior years IMO.

Illinois as we both know is
far better talent wise than
Pitt. They are not a top
Big 10 team IMO. We
ought to be able to stay
much closer than a 20 pt
deficit at the half. Our D
was basically non existent.
As Joe said earlier, they
would have easily scored
100 if they didn't clear the
bench.

Jasmine Timmerson of NA is pretty quick, but her shot is absolutely terrible. Her only hope is to be a facilitator because she is not a scorer at all.

My sense reading on here
is that you're AT the game.
I've never seen them in
person. Nobody on here
has criticized White as
much as I have.

As for the offense it looks
to me like this year they
actually have a clue and
aren't trying racehorse
Bball. They actually settle,
and try and run something.
I saw a big talent gap
that to me was the
difference last night.
Being there, what did
you see?

Defensively it was awful,
and easily as bad as you
described it. My sense is
besides the talent gap,
we're steps slow and don't
adjust. Wholesale subbing
and doing the same isn't
an adjustment, The zone??
I'm glad you identified it
because I had no idea at
all what it was. Sitting there
and watching, can you tell
if the coach is adjusting at
all? Are they trying to
coach them as to what's
happening on the floor?
Watching on tv it's hard to
tell.

Last night was the first time this season I've seen them in person. Great choice, right?

Honestly, she did not score last night but I think that Channise Lewis is a big part of the offense running better. She is a pass first, run the offense, get your teammates involved kind of point guard, which Pitt has not had in a long time. By my count last night there were seven times when she passed the ball to a wide open teammate for a shot and that player missed the shot. Three threes, two midrange shots, and two basically uncontested layups that we missed. The team runs so much better when she is on the court. Or at least it did last night.

We were definitely a step slow on defense last night. Maybe two. We didn't have anyone who could stay in front of Cook, number 3. And when she got past her defender the whole thing just broke down. Sometimes we didn't rotate over to pick her up. Sometimes we did but did it too slowly so we didn't get there in time. Sometimes one player would rotate but the next player wouldn't so we'd leave someone wide open. And when they were open they did not miss.

I'm hoping that last night was just one of those game that you have from time to time. Like the men's game on Monday from a Northwestern perspective. I hope.

Non-revenue sport. Dont buy him out. Let him coach out his contract and then move on. Nobody cares if Pitt women's hoops is bad. No reason to pay a buyout

Good point on Lewis at
the point, watching her I
agree. I think you're right
how the offense is running
better with her on the floor.
I see a big difference with
her on the point and Harris
being moved to the off
guard spot. They're actually
playing Bball as opposed to
White's first several yrs.

Steps slow on D? Man is
that true. In person I can
only imagine what that
looks like.

Well, maybe it was "just
one of those games." Granted
Illinois was hot 55.7% FG's
58.3% on 3's, but we were in
the 40%'s in both categories.
On top of that we scored 71.
You would think those #'s
would be enough for a W.
Not last night, and not in
the upcoming ACC either.

Non-revenue sport. Dont buy him out. Let him coach out his contract and then move on. Nobody cares if Pitt women's hoops is bad. No reason to pay a buyout
I hear ya, but some of
us like basketball whether
it's the men or the women.
If this program were to
get to where YOUR favorite
sport (Volleyball) is, it could
easily be a revenue sport.
If volleyball can get 3,000
and sometimes more at
home, a championship
womens Bball would do
even far better. Your agenda