ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Would the NFL postpone the Steelers game?

That was a great ending!
I have the over on Steelers wins at 7.5. Still alive on that!

Reactions: Chaos
Kenny Pickett's 14-yard TD pass to George Pickens marked only the 4th instance in the Super Bowl era of a rookie QB throwing a game-winning TD to a rookie receiver in the final 2 minutes of regulation.

There were a couple of times where I though the play calling or lack of a good running game was hindering Kenny during the game. Like when there was a 2nd and 3 and they ran. And then in 3th and 1 and they ran and didn't get it, and then missed a FG.

But when the game was on the line and he had to throw, it worked out. That's a big time quality you want in a starting QB. Just surprised his small hands allowed him to make that throw.

I don't know what percentage is attributable to Kenny vs Canada, but Kenny has this crazy ability where if someone asked me how he's playing I'd say "pretty well," but then you'll look up at the scoreboard and we have 3 points through 3 quarters.

I tend to think it's mostly a Canada issue. But there are certainly times where plays break down and, whereas Ben would have heaved a 50-yard touchdown, Kenny isn't even looking that far. Pickens got behind the defense a few times on those types of plays, and Pickett just tossed it out of bounds or threw a checkdown.

Also, it sounds crazy but I'd take another receiver fairly high in the draft.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
It's just nice to have a Steeler QB who can throw a tight spiral for a change. That last Kenny dart for the TD was perfect.

It's just nice to have a Steeler QB who can throw a tight spiral for a change. That last Kenny dart for the TD was perfect.

He’s got a lot of growing to do for sure. But his improvement this season has been nice to see. And he can definitely make all the throws needed in the NFL. So much for those people that said his “small” hands would hamper him in cold weather. He was affected by the cold but no more than Carr and he got it done in the end.

I don't know what percentage is attributable to Kenny vs Canada, but Kenny has this crazy ability where if someone asked me how he's playing I'd say "pretty well," but then you'll look up at the scoreboard and we have 3 points through 3 quarters.

I tend to think it's mostly a Canada issue. But there are certainly times where plays break down and, whereas Ben would have heaved a 50-yard touchdown, Kenny isn't even looking that far. Pickens got behind the defense a few times on those types of plays, and Pickett just tossed it out of bounds or threw a checkdown.

I think its combination of lack of splash plays and the offense always stalling in the redzone that leads to these low scores. I do think the offense has improved(not saying much, they were at the bottom). I see the potential of a functioning offense next yr after a new OC hire, draft, FA(I'd like for them to sign a WR vet to join that room) and these young guys getting experence. I see a base being formed to build off.

I think its combination of lack of splash plays and the offense always stalling in the redzone that leads to these low scores. I do think the offense has improved(not saying much, they were at the bottom). I see the potential of a functioning offense next yr after a new OC hire, draft, FA(I'd like for them to sign a WR vet to join that room) and these young guys getting experence. I see a base being formed to build off.
The lack of splash plays is huge and that’s been the design of this offense for 3-4 years now. There are some pieces in place, but the next couple of offseasons really need to be about building this offense around Pickett.

Canada seems a big part of the issue. The original scheme last night didn’t do KP many favors. Came out passing, which was fine, but the plays themselves were awful. As you mention KP also has no dispensation yet to say “F it” and chuck it 50 yards hoping Pickens or Johnson can make a play, aka how Hinds or Burress might have done for Ben back in the day.

Did chuckle that FINALLY one of his resplendent 2016 plays worked (the handoff to Hayward) to seal the game. I can see Aston or Ornforf getting the same call…

The lack of splash plays is huge and that’s been the design of this offense for 3-4 years now. There are some pieces in place, but the next couple of offseasons really need to be about building this offense around Pickett.
the play of the line improving over the past few months has thinking it's possible we can see a average to good offense as early as next yr. We can add a new OC, one more piece to the line and WR core in one offseason. We could go from a offense that ranks in the 28-32 range, to a offense that's around 16-22 with the arrow pointing up.

1. Kenny showing that he belongs
2. O-line improving
3. skill guys like pat and pickens showing flashes, finding warren to be a good RB2.

despite the offense being mostly trash this yr, thier are signs of something building here, becuase all these guys are young and we have the cap space/draft capital to add on. we can go from having one the worse O-lines to one of best very soon to go along with a skill group that has a high ceiling. They need to get the right OC here to get the best out of kenny and these young guys.

Reactions: Burgh15
the play of the line improving over the past few months has thinking it's possible we can see a average to good offense as early as next yr. We can add a new OC, one more piece to the line and WR core in one offseason. We could go from a offense that ranks in the 28-32 range, to a offense that's around 16-22 with the arrow pointing up.

1. Kenny showing that he belongs
2. O-line improving
3. skill guys like pat and pickens showing flashes, finding warren to be a good RB2.

despite the offense being mostly trash this yr, thier are signs of something building here, becuase all these guys are young and we have the cap space/draft capital to add on. we can go from having one the worse O-lines to one of best very soon to go along with a skill group that has a high ceiling. They need to get the right OC here to get the best out of kenny and these young guys.
The line has improved, particularly given the relative lack of talent. They still don't have a dominant piece in the mix and could easily improve at LG or LT. A new OC is a must, especially when you watch these top offensive minds each week compared to what the Steelers do. I agree they need another receiver as well. At this point, I think my top priority would be to add one more piece to the line and add a veteran wide receiver to the mix, then in year three for Kenny, try to pick up another top playmaker at receiver. That is the year you expect him to really hit his stride if he's going to be the long-term answer at quarterback.

Unfortunately, what are the chances the Steelers have a new OC next year. My guess is low.

The line has improved, particularly given the relative lack of talent. They still don't have a dominant piece in the mix and could easily improve at LG or LT. A new OC is a must, especially when you watch these top offensive minds each week compared to what the Steelers do. I agree they need another receiver as well. At this point, I think my top priority would be to add one more piece to the line and add a veteran wide receiver to the mix, then in year three for Kenny, try to pick up another top playmaker at receiver. That is the year you expect him to really hit his stride if he's going to be the long-term answer at quarterback.
I’m going to be redundant and make the same reply to the other poster that mentioned it, what are the chances we have a new OC next year?

I’m going to be redundant and make the same reply to the other poster that mentioned it, what are the chances we have a new OC next year?
The Steelers won five of seven games, which makes me believe they'll want to keep Canada despite scoring 20 or more points in just three of those games.

Steeler fans are insane, man. Christmas Eve. 0 degrees. Team not going to playoffs. I fully expected a crowd of 20K-30K. There had to be 50-55K there. Its incredible that more Steeler fans would show up while Santa is flying around in 0 degree weather than a Pitt game on a 70 degree Saturday afternoon. And I remember people saying the Steelers couldn't fill a 100K seat stadium when I said they should build one

I hate canada and think he runs a college offense with his constant motion and shifting. This falls on Tomlin's shoulders and is hopefully addressed at seasons end. I listened to the post game show and C harlie Batch made the comment that the offense is improving. We scored 1 touchdown yesterday. The high watermark was 30 against Cincinnati. I am sorry, but you need the defense to show up every game in order to win. There was a drive in the 1st half deep in Raider territory and canada had a formation with Sims and Gunner as his receivers. No Johnson or Pickens. I am sorry, but running a formation with 2 special teams players as receivers is a joke.

As far as your last sentence, I am warming up to it. I still think their top 3 picks should go to replenish the o-line and d-line, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR.

Steeler fans are insane, man. Christmas Eve. 0 degrees. Team not going to playoffs. I fully expected a crowd of 20K-30K. There had to be 50-55K there. Its incredible that more Steeler fans would show up while Santa is flying around in 0 degree weather than a Pitt game on a 70 degree Saturday afternoon. And I remember people saying the Steelers couldn't fill a 100K seat stadium when I said they should build one
Were you at the game? Sorry, there were not 50-55k there. 40k or so

Yea, I agree with this. Reminds me of Cignetti/Pitt. I think its mostly due to both teams not having any "next level" playmakers and the playcalling not allowing for 30, 40, 50 yard gains

Were you at the game? Sorry, there were not 50-55k there. 40k or so
Yeah, I would have guessed it at closer to 40k than 50-55k. Have to give everyone in attendance a big thumbs up, it sure sounded like a large boisterous crowd on the TV broadcast.

ADVERTISEMENT