ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WPIAL HS Sports are a mess

They absolutely did pull out at least in part due to local community reaction. You simply can't be naive enough to not understand that.
I’m not naive enough to know a huge corp isn’t backing away from business deals because some people are complaining.
my bet is the tax breaks they demanded were reduced as a result - so Amazon said no thanks

I’m not naive enough to know a huge corp isn’t backing away from business deals because some people are complaining.
my bet is the tax breaks they demanded were reduced as a result - so Amazon said no thanks

So in other words, you have no idea what actually happened, so rather than go by what was reported at the time you'll just make something up that fits your narrative.

Yeah, I guess that one way to go.

So in other words, you have no idea what actually happened, so rather than go by what was reported at the time you'll just make something up that fits your narrative.

Yeah, I guess that one way to go.
As supposed to inventing another narrative to fit yours?
What community complains scares them away ?
What communities didn’t have those for their other distributor centers ?
Was it just vibes or was it not getting the tax exemptions ?

Last edited:
Leave us alone down here in Greene County we don't want any school mergers!We have everything we need down here.

What is West Virginia bringing in ?

But hey, Starbucks gets to go to Kennywood's Union days now!!!!

But hey, Starbucks gets to go to Kennywood's Union days now!!!!
So less than 2000 net jobs between 3 projects
Thanks for the info
How far will this move wv out of poverty ?

As supposed to inventing another narrative to fit yours?
What community complains scares them away ?
What communities didn’t have those for their other distributor centers ?
Was it just vibes or was it not getting the tax exemptions ?

Sometimes I wonder if you pay any attention at all to the actual news reports about current events. This is one of those times.

You are literally ignoring all the reporting done by multiple local sources, both print and broadcast, because what they said doesn't fit your world view.

Sometimes I wonder if you pay any attention at all to the actual news reports about current events. This is one of those times.

You are literally ignoring all the reporting done by multiple local sources, both print and broadcast, because what they said doesn't fit your world view.
If it’s not on Vice or MSNBC, he doesn’t have a position.

Central Catholic is ranked #4 in WPIAL! Granted there are only 5 teams.

How are you arriving at that math?? I just completely proved you wrong. Act like a man and accept it. Or are you gender fluid today?
By reading each of the actual articles you linked
1k for one company 800 for another , and the solar one is a a hundred or so jobs so I rounded up

Not ignoring it
They had a tentative agreement and then backed out
I suggested the business reason -
You suggested it was vibes

Amazon isn’t in the vibes business / they are in the pay zero taxes business

Well, I don't think it means less teacher jobs as I doubt those small schools have class sizes of 10-12. I think it has more to do with the parents wanting more local control over education. You dont even hear any outcry from the smaller districts to merge. You would think parents in Monessen and Clairton for example would be speaking out, trying to get their schools to merge into TJ and Belle Vernon but there is too much local pride. Same with those small Fayette/Washington/Greene County high schools. You probably have 20 high schools for the same population of The combination of Lebo, Bethel, and USC.
Some school districts don't want to merge with another district for various reasons.

The issue of small/local districts is an interesting one. In many ways it is symptomatic of the seemingly genetic hyperparochialism of Pennsylvanians which seems to be particularly acute in the western part of the commonwealth (and I say this as a native Pennsylvanian who works for a historically Pittsburgh based firm).

but don’t lose sight of the big picture - educationally, there’s a whole lot to be said for small local districts. Districts are not built on football. And I say that as a person who grew up in one.

By reading each of the actual articles you linked
1k for one company 800 for another , and the solar one is a a hundred or so jobs so I rounded up
That's alot of jobs, I mean truly good paying jobs. Especially for a state as small as WV. Factor in all of the construction jobs, service jobs, etc....it is a good thing. Much more impact than unionizing a Starbucks.

The issue of small/local districts is an interesting one. In many ways it is symptomatic of the seemingly genetic hyperparochialism of Pennsylvanians which seems to be particularly acute in the western part of the commonwealth (and I say this as a native Pennsylvanian who works for a historically Pittsburgh based firm).

but don’t lose sight of the big picture - educationally, there’s a whole lot to be said for small local districts. Districts are not built on football. And I say that as a person who grew up in one.
Hyperparochialism. Great term and definitely rampant in Western PA.

Yea but its stupid for those schools to bus 2-3 hours east to play in a league which has more than enough teams when they can bus 2-3 hours west and play in a league which doesn't have enough teams.
What is stupid is you have no clue what you are talking about. For State College the Mid Penn is an average of 1:31 compared to 3:00 in your conference. That doubling the travel time. For Altoona it is 33 minutes longer on average for your conference. That not figuring in Friday evening traffic you would have with many of your Pittsburgh schools.

Here are the drive times from Google Maps

NA 2:54/2:12
SV 2:49/2:14
CC 2:38/1:55
CM 3:00/2:18
Lebo 2:50/2:06
McDowell 3:25/3:29
Erie 3:28/3:32
Average: 3:00/2:32

Compared to what they have in the Mid Penn:
Mifflin County 0:37/1:12
Carlisle 1:37/2:01
Central Dauphin 1:36/2:19
Central Dauphin East 1:32/2:15
Chambersburg 2:07/1:50
Cumberland Valley 1:43/2:02
Harrisburg 1:31/2:14
Average 1:31/1:59

That's alot of jobs, I mean truly good paying jobs. Especially for a state as small as WV. Factor in all of the construction jobs, service jobs, etc....it is a good thing. Much more impact than unionizing a Starbucks.
So you now actually read your own article ?
It’s okay , I accept your apology about the actual content I posted about.
One of us is details person - the other is a vibes guy.
Emotional folks tend to make silly claims

D5 and D6 Single A football may be the worst high school football on the planet.
At least the ones that can't recruit. The "Bishop" schools have faired well.

My kid is going to a D5 school and it has to be the saddest, slowest, arm-tackling, bunch of football players I've ever seen. I always get the "Pittsburgh schools play dirty," nonsense at playoff time. No, they just play football the way you're supposed to and will hit you in the mouth.

Not ignoring it
They had a tentative agreement and then backed out
I suggested the business reason -
You suggested it was vibes

Amazon isn’t in the vibes business / they are in the pay zero taxes business

I "suggested" what was said by multiple media sources covering the story in real time.

You had no idea what the reason is, so you made up something that fits your world view, even though you have absolutely no knowledge what so ever (as is clearly evidenced by the discussion here) what actually went on.

If you want to say that quoting what media sources reported is vibes and making stuff up out of whole clothe is business reasons, hey, more power to you. Whatever you have to tell yourself to score the point you think you are getting.

I haven't gone through the whole thread yet so if someone else has pointed this out I apologize, but maybe a month or two ago the mayor of Jeannette wondered out loud as to why their school district didn't merge with Hempfield, and the local populous went batshit crazy.

Because to way too many of the people who live there, Jeanette Jayhawks football (and to a lesser extent basketball) means way more than kids getting a decent education.
Those people are batshit crazy! They won’t let that football tradition die. Misplaced priorities for sure.
They won’t admit those days are gone.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Oddly enough, this year they are in the same class (and section) in football for the first time in a long time (in fact they are playing each other tonight), but they are now in different classes in soccer.
Norwin soccer is finding out what it’s like to play in a real section finally now that they’re lumped in with all the teams from the south ;). Although their boys are coming on a bit now. I think the boys must not have been healthy early in the year because they are a different team now. And the girls are not only finding out what it’s like to play in a real section, but they have to be in a real down cycle, which everyone outside of Peters and Seneca go through. They’re bad. But if 4A still had an eastern section, they’d still be a 1st place team. Instead they’re 6th.

I haven't gone through the whole thread yet so if someone else has pointed this out I apologize, but maybe a month or two ago the mayor of Jeannette wondered out loud as to why their school district didn't merge with Hempfield, and the local populous went batshit crazy.

Because to way too many of the people who live there, Jeanette Jayhawks football (and to a lesser extent basketball) means way more than kids getting a decent education.
When I think of Jeannette, I think of all the beautiful italian girls I knew from there in my younger days, and of course the Crawfords and Morgan’s who were all great athletes. It seemed like back then, if you were from Jeannette, you were either Italian or African American. Not sure what it’s like today.

speaking of, “Maine” Morgan of course played basketball at Pitt in the early 90’s. Did I see he’s now in prison for selling drugs?

When I think of Jeannette, I think of all the beautiful italian girls I knew from there in my younger days, and of course the Crawfords and Morgan’s who were all great athletes. It seemed like back then, if you were from Jeannette, you were either Italian or African American. Not sure what it’s like today.

speaking of, “Maine” Morgan of course played basketball at Pitt in the early 90’s. Did I see he’s now in prison for selling drugs?
They had some powerhouse teams back in the day. Remember going there in junior high and just marveling at the talent.

What is stupid is you have no clue what you are talking about. For State College the Mid Penn is an average of 1:31 compared to 3:00 in your conference. That doubling the travel time. For Altoona it is 33 minutes longer on average for your conference. That not figuring in Friday evening traffic you would have with many of your Pittsburgh schools.

Here are the drive times from Google Maps

NA 2:54/2:12
SV 2:49/2:14
CC 2:38/1:55
CM 3:00/2:18
Lebo 2:50/2:06
McDowell 3:25/3:29
Erie 3:28/3:32
Average: 3:00/2:32

Compared to what they have in the Mid Penn:
Mifflin County 0:37/1:12
Carlisle 1:37/2:01
Central Dauphin 1:36/2:19
Central Dauphin East 1:32/2:15
Chambersburg 2:07/1:50
Cumberland Valley 1:43/2:02
Harrisburg 1:31/2:14
Average 1:31/1:59
I don't know why you guys are so hung up on drive times for schools in the hinterlands where folks are already used to driving long distances anyway. Heck, we have a team from Erie in our youth soccer league. It sucks to go up there but we all have been able to survive it.

The travel will only be SLIGHTLY more in my league. SLIGHTLY. I'd move SC, Altoona, and Mifflin County from D6 to the WPIAL for football only. No more playing in D3 as D6s. I'd move Williamsport from D4 to the WPIAL.

WPIAL 6A Metro
SV
NA
CC
CM
ML

WPIAL 6A Pennsyltucky
Erie
McDowell
Williamsport
State College
Altoona
Mifflin County

Play everyone in your division once, 2 teams from other division, and schedule the rest of the games on your own.

Here would be a sample State College schedule:

Home
Altoona
Williamsport
McDowell
Lebo
anyone they want

Away
Mifflin County
Erie
NA
anyone they want

So, State College, would have exactly 2 long road trips between 2.5 and 3.5 hours. TWO. That's not a big deal when their current road trips are between 90 minutes and 2 hours. Its not like they were playing local teams in D6.

Top 3 or 4 in each division make the playoffs. Championship at Acrisure which is great for the kids.

I don't know why you guys are so hung up on drive times for schools in the hinterlands where folks are already used to driving long distances anyway. Heck, we have a team from Erie in our youth soccer league. It sucks to go up there but we all have been able to survive it.

The travel will only be SLIGHTLY more in my league. SLIGHTLY. I'd move SC, Altoona, and Mifflin County from D6 to the WPIAL for football only. No more playing in D3 as D6s. I'd move Williamsport from D4 to the WPIAL.

WPIAL 6A Metro
SV
NA
CC
CM
ML

WPIAL 6A Pennsyltucky
Erie
McDowell
Williamsport
State College
Altoona
Mifflin County

Play everyone in your division once, 2 teams from other division, and schedule the rest of the games on your own.

Here would be a sample State College schedule:

Home
Altoona
Williamsport
McDowell
Lebo
anyone they want

Away
Mifflin County
Erie
NA
anyone they want

So, State College, would have exactly 2 long road trips between 2.5 and 3.5 hours. TWO. That's not a big deal when their current road trips are between 90 minutes and 2 hours. Its not like they were playing local teams in D6.

Top 3 or 4 in each division make the playoffs. Championship at Acrisure which is great for the kids.
Except those schools aren't interested in being in the WPIAL. They could also form their own conference, if they wanted, along with a couple 5A schools. But your plan is especially stupid when you could have Williamsport running to Canonsburg. It's only four hours each way.

Except those schools aren't interested in being in the WPIAL. They could also form their own conference, if they wanted, along with a couple 5A schools. But your plan is especially stupid when you could have Williamsport running to Canonsburg. It's only four hours each way.
Did you ask them? They were about 10 years ago. Perhaps playing in the Pgh area and a potential championship game at Acrisure on TV is enough to get them to bus an extra hour twice a year. I mean I know that extra hour on a bus is killer but maybe.

Did you ask them? They were about 10 years ago. Perhaps playing in the Pgh area and a potential championship game at Acrisure on TV is enough to get them to bus an extra hour twice a year. I mean I know that extra hour on a bus is killer but maybe.
I know Altoona's HC so i will ask if you want but I guess the fact they got out of the WPIAL to go back to playing with the Harrisburg teams seems like pretty firm evidence of their position on the matter.

Also love how you downplay travel times like they don't matter.

I know Altoona's HC so i will ask if you want but I guess the fact they got out of the WPIAL to go back to playing with the Harrisburg teams seems like pretty firm evidence of their position on the matter.

Football is not as big of an issue. Friday night games..........mostly finished before the weather gets bad. It is the winter sports where travel has the biggest effect. Mid week games, snow and ice in December through March.

HS football teams should not be traveling more than an hour and a half. That should be the absolute max. Every other sports team should not be getting home past 11pm during the school week. This idea of traveling 3-4 hours for a game is asinine.

Travel time was one of the biggest reasons the WPIAL changed how the early season games are structured. They looked for local, competitive games to help reduce travel and increase fan attendance. After two years of it, this strategy has worked quite well.

Reactions: pittdan77
HS football teams should not be traveling more than an hour and a half. That should be the absolute max. Every other sports team should not be getting home past 11pm during the school week. This idea of traveling 3-4 hours for a game is asinine.
Then Altoona and State College should leave their Harrisburg conference then because they do that every week

Travel time was one of the biggest reasons the WPIAL changed how the early season games are structured. They looked for local, competitive games to help reduce travel and increase fan attendance. After two years of it, this strategy has worked quite well.
I question this after attending the Hampton at Connellsville game last Friday. Nothing local about either of those teams, Hampton was 11-3 I believe last year and Connellsville was 0-10. Lowest attended game I’ve been to this year. I think the schools should schedule non-section games themselves and let the WPIAL step in if they can’t find games.

It may be working at some places, but our non-section schedule once again made no sense. We are a 4A school that played to 5A schools and a good 4A school out of section. The week zero game, scheduled by the schools, was Albert Gallatin, which made a ton of sense.

ADVERTISEMENT