ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Youth ref/ump shortage

I kind of disagree. Soccer officiating is probably the worst because they cant get adults to do it. How bout just pay them like $100/game. Same for baseball. For some reason, basketball has no problems getting refs. Never understood that one. You can pay those guys $15 and they'll show up.

I think a lot of this has to do with low wages. I am all for paying qualified refs/umps a premium amount. Pay them $100/game and advertise it. These parents are already spending 10s of thousands on youth sports, they won't even notice the extra charge.

I've stayed at jobs I loved for $27,000 and left jobs I hated which paid me $270,000. Wages are only part of the problem. Many people would ump/ref games for free if it meant no abuse, but most wouldn't do it for $500 if the parents and players were allowed to yell obscenities at you.

Reactions: 4382 and pittdan77
I don't care if he's making $1000/game. If a ref makes a terrible call that costs your team the championship (and the stakes are NEVER nearly that high), what good does it do to yell at him? He made a mistake. And your kid is watching you look like an ass.
i agree with this 1000% percent. umps/officials make mistakes, these are either parents volunteering or teenagers trying to make $20 bucks for games that the kids playing dont even care too much about once it's over.

The parents making it out to be bigger than it is causes these videos, these fights. It's on them 100%, i dont care if the ump/official/ref is making terrible calls all game..

I’ve been a hockey referee since I was 13 years old. Things are no different now in terms of abuse that they were back then… actually, probably better than they used to be. But we have social media and everyone has a camera, so things do get reported more.

USAHockey has had a zero tolerance policy for quite some time. They’ve really tried to emphasize it - last year they even introduced a parent sponsor (can’t remember what they call it) who is supposed to monitor their team’s parent behavior etc.

I schedule the referees for the local youth leagues where I am and get to see the game reports, review video of incidents, provide feedback on supplemental discipline, etc. They do a very good job of handing out punishments and bans for abuse of officials. The problem is that a lot of the kids - and we often have two kids out there for the 10U and 12U type games - are timid and don’t stand up for themselves or report the bad behavior.

But yeah, we’ve had a lot of guys hang up the skates and just not come back over the past 2 years. It’s tough getting guys to go out there for $35-$60 a game for the kids. Even the $100-$150 games are challenging to fill and sometimes we end up putting guys out there that we really don’t want to, but don’t have much of a choice.

Reactions: pittdan77
just pay kids to do it. The kids that do the soccer games and baseball games for my kids are teenagers. parents here dont give them a hard time. Admittedly, the teenage umps/refs kind of suck because they are too young but the coaches help them out when needed..

I've told this story here before, but when my son was about six or seven and playing pee wee soccer they had teenagers who played in the club ref the little kid games. So one night we got to the field early for a game and my son and one of the kids from the other team were the first two kids there. So like little kids do, they started playing together, kicking the ball around and trying to score goals on each other and whatnot. And I and the other kid's dad were standing there watching and BS-ing about whatever.

So the coach for the other team gets there. And he walks up to us and tells us that before the game starts that night that the President of the league was going to come by and address the crowd. Well why on earth is he going to do that, we asked? Because at a game the night before, one of the parents got so pissed off at the 13 or 14 year old referee that he went out on the field after him. The coaches had to run out and get between the guy and the kid to keep the guy from doing god knows what to a 13 or 14 year old soccer referee. So the league President was coming by to tell everyone that if anyone even said a bad word to any referee they were going to be banned from the facility for the rest of the season.

Some parents just can't stop themselves from being a moron.

I've stayed at jobs I loved for $27,000 and left jobs I hated which paid me $270,000. Wages are only part of the problem. Many people would ump/ref games for free if it meant no abuse, but most wouldn't do it for $500 if the parents and players were allowed to yell obscenities at you.
Yea but if you increase pay, you'd get more people to do it. If you paid me $100 to go ref soccer or basketball for an hour, I'd do it.

It always has been only those who truly love the game moresonthan the money due to parents,grandparents, coaches,...

Now the cancel culture we live in today has taken it to a new level with school board and baseball associations. Train has left the station and for the love of the game not enough. For most it was never about the money per se, but today you have to over pay for people to put up with the bullshit.
Trying to figure out what cancel culture has to do with this topic of excess hostility in youth sports…..
is it that big of a deal? So a soccer official is a teenage kid and they miss an off sides call. That's not the end of the world. kids dont care, once the game is over they are over it and completely could care less while the lunatic parents are the only ones that even care.

My little man plays baseball, some umps who are 15 year olds have a subjective strike zone. again, not the end of the world if a ball is called a strike that is a bit low or high.. Again, all of this is stemming from parents who take this all way too serious.. That's where and why this all starts..
Well said. I have to confess I’ve found myself getting caught up in it a little bit too. The soccer offsides call is a great example.
When I played, the league recruited an alcoholic pool cleaner and former minor-league baseball pitcher, to coach. We were a youth baseball league expansion team of misfit players formed as a settlement to a lawsuit brought against the league for excluding such players from other teams. Shunned by the more competitive teams (and competitive parents and coaches), we were the outsiders, and the least talented team in the league. Out coach had to forfeit the opening game after we allowed 26 runs without recording an out.

With our entire team wanting to quit due to the humiliation of our first loss, our coach recruited two unlikely prospects: a sharp-tongued girl named Amanda, a skilled pitcher (trained by our coach when she was younger) and the 11-year-old daughter of one of our coach's ex-girlfriends; and a local cigarette-smoking, loan-sharking, Harley-Davidson-riding troublemaker named Kelly, who also happened to be the best athlete in the area, but had been excluded from playing in the past by league officials. With those two on board, the team started gaining more confidence, and we started winning games.

Eventually, we made it to the championship game opposite the top-notch Yankees, who were coached by an aggressive, competitive jerk. As the game progressed, tensions rose between the teams and the coaches, as the coaches engaged in ruthless behavior toward each other and the players in order to win the game. When the opposing coach hit his own son, the pitcher, for ignoring orders by intentionally throwing at another child's head, our coach realized that he, too, had placed too much emphasis on winning, and put in his benchwarmers to allow everyone to play. Despite our coach's move, our team nearly won the game. Our coach then gave us beer which we then sprayed on each other with a field celebration as if we had won.

The following year, our coach decided to leave so they hired Kelly's father to coach the team. Amanda moved to England to live with her aunt and become an equestrian. We recruited a new pitcher that tried to imitate all the best MLB pitchers but eventually found his own style. We won the championship and got a chance to play the best team in Japan in the Houston Astrodome. I'll never forget that. We were playing between games of an Astro's doubleheader and our game was running long. The Astros tried to stop our game so that they could play theirs but our coach led the crowd in a chant of "let them play". Even the Astro players were chanting. Finally they let us play and we won!! The next year we went to Japan, but I'll spare you the details on that.
this is a masterpiece. First thing I thought of when I read the post you responded to.
SMF, the wages aren't that low. I think that travel ball umps make between $50 and $100 per game depending on the age group. Those games generally have 2 hour time limits and often they get paid in cash and for a weekend tournament, they can umpire as many as 4, sometimes 5 games per day. So $25 to $50 per hour isn't that bad for what hopefully is someone's side hustle or fun money job. As I edge closer to my kids no longer playing travel baseball (3 more seasons for my youngest), I think about getting certified to be an umpire and doing it as a hobby.
Nobody that refs youth sports does it for the money. Really that applies to collegiate sports as well. It’s a side hustle doing something they love for nearly all of them.

i agree with this 1000% percent. umps/officials make mistakes, these are either parents volunteering or teenagers trying to make $20 bucks for games that the kids playing dont even care too much about once it's over.

The parents making it out to be bigger than it is causes these videos, these fights. It's on them 100%, i dont care if the ump/official/ref is making terrible calls all game..
It’s on the coaches too. They need to set the tone for the parents early, and enforce it. And they have to be forceful about it. It’s a tough ask when the parents all think they have the juice to say akd do what they want because they’re writing the checks. “We’re paying your salary.”

Reactions: pittdan77
I’ve been a hockey referee since I was 13 years old. Things are no different now in terms of abuse that they were back then… actually, probably better than they used to be. But we have social media and everyone has a camera, so things do get reported more.

USAHockey has had a zero tolerance policy for quite some time. They’ve really tried to emphasize it - last year they even introduced a parent sponsor (can’t remember what they call it) who is supposed to monitor their team’s parent behavior etc.

I schedule the referees for the local youth leagues where I am and get to see the game reports, review video of incidents, provide feedback on supplemental discipline, etc. They do a very good job of handing out punishments and bans for abuse of officials. The problem is that a lot of the kids - and we often have two kids out there for the 10U and 12U type games - are timid and don’t stand up for themselves or report the bad behavior.

But yeah, we’ve had a lot of guys hang up the skates and just not come back over the past 2 years. It’s tough getting guys to go out there for $35-$60 a game for the kids. Even the $100-$150 games are challenging to fill and sometimes we end up putting guys out there that we really don’t want to, but don’t have much of a choice.
My oldest son was a hockey ref throughout high school. He passed the IIHF testing, went to camps and courses. He was into it, and was pretty good at it. He did mostly youth games and high school. He did some adult non-checking paired with a senior ref.

One weekend, the refs for the adult non-checking got stuck in traffic getting into town due to road closures from a wreck. The ref coordinator called my son about 30 minutes prior to game time. He was asked to help out and ref (one man) for this game. One ref cannot cover both ends and see goals, offsides, icing let alone penalties. These knuckleheads just abused him that night. What pissed him off the most was that none recognised that it is impossible to do that alone (but still preferable to a zero-man system) and that some of the stuff they were all over him for was completely incorrect and they didn't really know the rules that well. He really lost his enthusiasm for reffing after that. He still did high school games (he said the players actually understood hockey and the coaches kept them in line), but once he graduated, he preferred to tutor and teach rather than ref and get cursed at for a few hours.

Trying to figure out what cancel culture has to do with this topic of excess hostility in youth sports…..

Well said. I have to confess I’ve found myself getting caught up in it a little bit too. The soccer offsides call is a great example.

this is a masterpiece. First thing I thought of when I read the post you responded to.

Nobody that refs youth sports does it for the money. Really that applies to collegiate sports as well. It’s a side hustle doing something they love for nearly all of them.
Youth Sports up to HS is a side hustle. A lot of younger guys doing college football are trying to work their way up to D1 and then professional. They start at D2 and D3 and work their way up. In many cases they work a HS game and then travel early Saturday morning to get to their college game. Yes - they have full time jobs, but there is a lot of time and travel involved.

Guys that are working D1 college basketball are traveling the country 5 months out of the year to work 60+ games. That is a full-time commitment.

Youth Sports up to HS is a side hustle. A lot of younger guys doing college football are trying to work their way up to D1 and then professional. They start at D2 and D3 and work their way up. In many cases they work a HS game and then travel early Saturday morning to get to their college game. Yes - they have full time jobs, but there is a lot of time and travel involved.

Guys that are working D1 college basketball are traveling the country 5 months out of the year to work 60+ games. That is a full-time commitment.
Its a side hustle, yea. But if it paid more, more people would do it.

I already stated that earlier in a post. It’s like anything else. You have to make it worthwhile by paying more money. Otherwise, you are going to keep getting young kids or old retirees that are past their prime.

My oldest son was a hockey ref throughout high school. He passed the IIHF testing, went to camps and courses. He was into it, and was pretty good at it. He did mostly youth games and high school. He did some adult non-checking paired with a senior ref.

One weekend, the refs for the adult non-checking got stuck in traffic getting into town due to road closures from a wreck. The ref coordinator called my son about 30 minutes prior to game time. He was asked to help out and ref (one man) for this game. One ref cannot cover both ends and see goals, offsides, icing let alone penalties. These knuckleheads just abused him that night. What pissed him off the most was that none recognised that it is impossible to do that alone (but still preferable to a zero-man system) and that some of the stuff they were all over him for was completely incorrect and they didn't really know the rules that well. He really lost his enthusiasm for reffing after that. He still did high school games (he said the players actually understood hockey and the coaches kept them in line), but once he graduated, he preferred to tutor and teach rather than ref and get cursed at for a few hours.
Skating in the middle in a 3-man is one thing (and my favorite, personally) - don’t have to worry about offsides, icing, shagging pucks, face offs, etc since the lineys are doing all of that. But having to do the job of the referee and both linesmen? No thanks.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Skating in the middle in a 3-man is one thing (and my favorite, personally) - don’t have to worry about offsides, icing, shagging pucks, face offs, etc since the lineys are doing all of that. But having to do the job of the referee and both linesmen? No thanks.
3 man is a luxury here in NZ. Only national league games get that. All club hockey is 2 man.
The ref supervisor regretted putting my son through that. He realized later that filling that one hole cost him a reliable ref because of the knuckleheads he was trying to help.
We have gaps in this town at the upper end of refs and linesmen. For most national league games, they have a ref and often a linesman fly from Auckland or drive from Christchurch for the games. It gets expensive.
I knew a guy in WV who is an ACC side judge. He keeps his day job. He does it because he loves it.

I've told this story here before, but when my son was about six or seven and playing pee wee soccer they had teenagers who played in the club ref the little kid games. So one night we got to the field early for a game and my son and one of the kids from the other team were the first two kids there. So like little kids do, they started playing together, kicking the ball around and trying to score goals on each other and whatnot. And I and the other kid's dad were standing there watching and BS-ing about whatever.

So the coach for the other team gets there. And he walks up to us and tells us that before the game starts that night that the President of the league was going to come by and address the crowd. Well why on earth is he going to do that, we asked? Because at a game the night before, one of the parents got so pissed off at the 13 or 14 year old referee that he went out on the field after him. The coaches had to run out and get between the guy and the kid to keep the guy from doing god knows what to a 13 or 14 year old soccer referee. So the league President was coming by to tell everyone that if anyone even said a bad word to any referee they were going to be banned from the facility for the rest of the season.

Some parents just can't stop themselves from being a moron.
isn't being a riotous drunken Peaky Blinder wannabe part of that game's culture?

I think your logic is flawed. The money is just fine as I stated above. Most travel baseball umpires that work 14U and up make between $50 and $100 per game, depending on the quality of tournament. Something like a PBR, Bullpen or Perfect Game will be at the high end, maybe higher. But those jobs aren't easy to get. But there are many other well run tournament organizations that pay well. That is plenty of money for someone's side hustle. Especially a retiree who can umpire 4 games per day Thursday through Sunday (that is the typical time frame for 14U and up tournaments, although some of the bigger ones start on Wednesday and a few on Tuesday). $400 per day for 4 days = $1600.

If a $1600 a week side hustle isn't lucrative enough for a retiree, I'm not sure that paying them more is the answer. The behavior of parents, coaches and even the kids has to be changed. Paying more to entice umpires into accepting abuse is a loser mentality. It creates a downward spiral. Change the culture and you won't need to pay more.

I think your logic is flawed. The money is just fine as I stated above. Most travel baseball umpires that work 14U and up make between $50 and $100 per game, depending on the quality of tournament. Something like a PBR, Bullpen or Perfect Game will be at the high end, maybe higher. But those jobs aren't easy to get. But there are many other well run tournament organizations that pay well. That is plenty of money for someone's side hustle. Especially a retiree who can umpire 4 games per day Thursday through Sunday (that is the typical time frame for 14U and up tournaments, although some of the bigger ones start on Wednesday and a few on Tuesday). $400 per day for 4 days = $1600.

If a $1600 a week side hustle isn't lucrative enough for a retiree, I'm not sure that paying them more is the answer. The behavior of parents, coaches and even the kids has to be changed. Paying more to entice umpires into accepting abuse is a loser mentality. It creates a downward spiral. Change the culture and you won't need to pay more.
How many kids play high-level travel baseball? 1%? For the other 99%, their games and sports are being reffed by people making $20-$30 per game.

Sounds like hockey has its act together. At least where you're at.

At the end of the day, it's a big commitment and not everyone is cut out to do it or has the time. I think I would enjoy officiating HS football but I have other things going on that I really can't be bothered with it at any price.

How many kids play high-level travel baseball? 1%? For the other 99%, their games and sports are being reffed by people making $20-$30 per game.
How many are or how many should be? From the population of kids that play organized baseball, I'd estimate that about 50% are and less than 10% should be. But the umpires at just about every level of "travel" baseball are making at least $50 per game.

i guess it all depends on what your expectations should be. I don't have intimate knowledge of youth sports outside of baseball and football, but I'm guessing there are some similarities. If you are paying more than $1000 per season, you should expect that the officials are being paid more than $20 to $30 per game. Basically, if you are playing in a game where the official is being paid $30 or less per game, you are playing rec league no matter what the grifter that runs the club tries to tell you or no matter how far you traveled to play the game. You are being grifted.

There is NOTHING wrong with playing rec league, so please don't misunderstand me. But don't play rec league or rec level league and expect high quality, well paid officials and well run tournaments and games. It is like shopping at the Dollar General and expecting a Saks 5th Avenue experience. Or ordering a hot dog and expecting it to taste like prime rib. And that is from someone who loves hot dogs and Dollar General. :)

How many are or how many should be? From the population of kids that play organized baseball, I'd estimate that about 50% are and less than 10% should be. But the umpires at just about every level of "travel" baseball are making at least $50 per game.

i guess it all depends on what your expectations should be. I don't have intimate knowledge of youth sports outside of baseball and football, but I'm guessing there are some similarities. If you are paying more than $1000 per season, you should expect that the officials are being paid more than $20 to $30 per game. Basically, if you are playing in a game where the official is being paid $30 or less per game, you are playing rec league no matter what the grifter that runs the club tries to tell you or no matter how far you traveled to play the game. You are being grifted.

There is NOTHING wrong with playing rec league, so please don't misunderstand me. But don't play rec league or rec level league and expect high quality, well paid officials and well run tournaments and games. It is like shopping at the Dollar General and expecting a Saks 5th Avenue experience. Or ordering a hot dog and expecting it to taste like prime rib. And that is from someone who loves hot dogs and Dollar General. :)
Well, I was said "high level." The majority of these kids aren't playing high level travel baseball. Some tournament featuring 4 teams from EF, WM, TJ, and McKeesport isnt a high level tournament. There's just a few travel teams in each age group which are "high level." Beaver Valley, Outlaws, etc. Not even 1% of kids are playing at that level.

honestly, i guarantee all these online videos of parents behaving bad are from what SMF is calling "high level" travel baseball (or soccer). i've been to a ton of rec soccer, baseball, softball games and never have once encountered anything like this at all. I've said before, often times it's a kid doing the game for 20 bucks and no parent is giving a 15 year old kid a hard time...

but knowing what i know about 90% of these travel sports parents, it doesnt surprise me that the most important thing in the world is if little johnny doesnt strike out on a ball outside or the player was 2' off sides and it wasnt called..

honestly, i guarantee all these online videos of parents behaving bad are from what SMF is calling "high level" travel baseball (or soccer). i've been to a ton of rec soccer, baseball, softball games and never have once encountered anything like this at all. I've said before, often times it's a kid doing the game for 20 bucks and no parent is giving a 15 year old kid a hard time...

but knowing what i know about 90% of these travel sports parents, it doesnt surprise me that the most important thing in the world is if little johnny doesnt strike out on a ball outside or the player was 2' off sides and it wasnt called..
In our league, we had the cops called for a game of 7/8 year old rec league but it was an altercation between 2 coaches. I've seen a coach tossed from a 9/10 year old rec league. Believe me, rec parents and coaches are just as bad. But my guess is that a lot of this is when the "travel players" dont get a call when playing rec baseball. If you are a rec ump, you dont want to miss a call on 9 year old Johnny who plays Travel for West Mifflin and will someday play for the prestigious Point Park Pioneers after traveling the nation his whole childhood playing baseball

Very big commitment to be a WPIAL football referee. Time investment plus lousy pay and you get yelled at and threatened by parents and fans.
I'm a PIAA official and have officiated hundreds of football and basketball games. It's not that bad. You can't have rabbit ears.

Reactions: PeetWeet2
In our league, we had the cops called for a game of 7/8 year old rec league but it was an altercation between 2 coaches. I've seen a coach tossed from a 9/10 year old rec league. Believe me, rec parents and coaches are just as bad. But my guess is that a lot of this is when the "travel players" dont get a call when playing rec baseball. If you are a rec ump, you dont want to miss a call on 9 year old Johnny who plays Travel for West Mifflin and will someday play for the prestigious Point Park Pioneers after traveling the nation his whole childhood playing baseball
You seem very hostile towards travel sports.

man, that's just crazy to me.. i dont think you are lying, just dont see it at my kids games. Of course im the parent sitting in right field by myself with a 6 pack in the cooler so maybe it's going on and im just oblivious to it..

I'm a PIAA official and have officiated hundreds of football and basketball games. It's not that bad. You can't have rabbit ears.
Mark_Marty, football or hoops? I'd be curious on the process to be a wpial football ref.. i think i would enjoy this once my kids get older and i have free time.

I already stated that earlier in a post. It’s like anything else. You have to make it worthwhile by paying more money. Otherwise, you are going to keep getting young kids or old retirees that are past their prime.
The only way to do that in youth sports is to pass the significant additional cost along to the participants. That's not going to fly. These leagues already struggle to keep coaches, pay for places to play, etc. Most parents feel that they're already spending way too much time and money on their kids' travel sports, with no end game to show for it for 98% of all players.

So the solution is for everyone to lay off the refs that do this more out of the love for the game than anything else, and let them do their jobs the best they can. It's kids playing sports, we're not curing cancer here.

Last edited:
Sounds like hockey has its act together. At least where you're at.

At the end of the day, it's a big commitment and not everyone is cut out to do it or has the time. I think I would enjoy officiating HS football but I have other things going on that I really can't be bothered with it at any price.
I have never seen worse parent behavior toward the refs, the kids playing, the coaches, or toward each other than I've witnessed at the handful of travel hockey games I've attended. Never.

Well, I was said "high level." The majority of these kids aren't playing high level travel baseball. Some tournament featuring 4 teams from EF, WM, TJ, and McKeesport isnt a high level tournament. There's just a few travel teams in each age group which are "high level." Beaver Valley, Outlaws, etc. Not even 1% of kids are playing at that level.
Agree--90% of all travel leagues are just glorified rec teams with better uniforms and travel obligations. It's a cottage industry that has basically replaced community rec sports for any kid who wants to play his/her sport beyond elementary school level. To me, "high level" means the travel leagues that are the cream of the crop, the ones for the elite players that are future D1 college prospects. Every youth sport has its version of these leagues.

You seem very hostile towards travel sports.
Not really. My kids play, well not baseball because they dont like it (thank God). I do think of all the "travel sports," baseball is by far the most absurd. Some dads get a team together and call them the Monsters or Vipers or Lightning or some other generic name and travel the tri state region playing 100 games/year so their kids can develop the necessary skills to play at Point Park or LaRoche one day.

Agree--90% of all travel leagues are just glorified rec teams with better uniforms and travel obligations. It's a cottage industry that has basically replaced community rec sports for any kid who wants to play his/her sport beyond elementary school level. To me, "high level" means the travel leagues that are the cream of the crop, the ones for the elite players that are future D1 college prospects. Every youth sport has its version of these leagues.
Yep. Better uniforms and something for parents to do on the weekends. OK guys, this week, our team of players from only our small town will be traveling TWENTY MILES for a tournament comprised of players from other small towns.

Not really. My kids play, well not baseball because they dont like it (thank God). I do think of all the "travel sports," baseball is by far the most absurd. Some dads get a team together and call them the Monsters or Vipers or Lightning or some other generic name and travel the tri state region playing 100 games/year so their kids can develop the necessary skills to play at Point Park or LaRoche one day.
so their kids can develop the necessary skills to play at Point Park or LaRoche one day.

Not even. You have to be a really, really good player to play any sport at any collegiate level. The average travel baseball (or insert sport) team won't have any kids that end up playing at the college level, and many won't be good enough to play for their local H.S. team. For the 15-20 spots available on any H.S. varsity baseball team there are probably 50-75 kids in that same district that played travel baseball.

I kind of disagree. Soccer officiating is probably the worst because they cant get adults to do it. How bout just pay them like $100/game. Same for baseball. For some reason, basketball has no problems getting refs. Never understood that one. You can pay those guys $15 and they'll show up.

I think a lot of this has to do with low wages. I am all for paying qualified refs/umps a premium amount. Pay them $100/game and advertise it. These parents are already spending 10s of thousands on youth sports, they won't even notice the extra charge.
It’s amazing how much you act like you know everything yet know so little.

Reactions: Ski11585
Yep. Better uniforms and something for parents to do on the weekends. OK guys, this week, our team of players from only our small town will be traveling TWENTY MILES for a tournament comprised of players from other small towns.
Some of these teams exist to get kids games at a reduced cost and less travel. I suspect most parents know exactly what they are getting into.

so their kids can develop the necessary skills to play at Point Park or LaRoche one day.

Not even. You have to be a really, really good player to play any sport at any collegiate level. The average travel baseball (or insert sport) team won't have any kids that end up playing at the college level, and many won't be good enough to play for their local H.S. team. For the 15-20 spots available on any H.S. varsity baseball team there are probably 50-75 kids in that same district that played travel baseball.
I agree with the last part that most youth travel players wont make their HS team. However, I don't think its as hard to play D3 as you make it seem. To become a good D3 player/starter, yea, ok. But if you are an above average WPIAL player, you can make a D3 roster, for numbers if for no other reason

Mark_Marty, football or hoops? I'd be curious on the process to be a wpial football ref.. i think i would enjoy this once my kids get older and i have free time.
Go to PIAA.org. Under officials. You have to pass your clearances, pass the written test and join a chapter and attend 4 meetings a year. I love it. Eff the fans and coaches. It’s about the kids.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Getting over the hump the first year is key. You have to pass the test and then join a chapter. Paying for your uniform, shoes, equipment, and dues will cost you about $600. You will get games to work if you want, especially mid week (Middle School) and Saturday games (JV and Youth). You might even get some Friday night games as a fill-in. If you get with a good Friday Night crew, then you can make good friends and get good games if your R is liked by the assigners. Just to give you an idea of what a Friday night might look like for a new official. You have to be at the game site an hour and half to 2 hours before the game. Your R may want to meet and travel to the game together or meet there. You will probably get a smaller school, so u may very well have to travel an hour to get there. Your crew will do a pregame prep and talk with the coaches, inspect balls and then get out on the field to do pregame prep there before game. You are looking at about a 7 hour commitment to make about $75 for a Single A/AA game. I’d be happy to give you anymore insight if you are interested.

Reactions: 4382
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT