ADVERTISEMENT

OU and Texas offically apply to SEC for membership

SEC issued a statement that Texas and OU formally applied for membership.
E7T2NZUWEAI_IMs

OU and Texas are waiting until 2025 when the GOR expires so I don't think we will find anything out in regards to legal strength of the ACC GOR

We'll see after they've been officially accepted. I'm guessing probably soon followed by
'After being accepted, we would like to request early entry '.....
There's just no way they're lame ducking it for 4 years...

Reactions: EEResistable
OU and Texas are waiting until 2025 when the GOR expires so I don't think we will find anything out in regards to legal strength of the ACC GOR
Do you really think they are going to wait until 2025? That is what they are saying, but I would say the odds of that happening are Slim to None. I’d say they negotiate a settlement and will be playing in the SEC by 2023-24.

They say that, but I think they will look to settle to leave early. With so few years left, it may be financially feasible, vs say the ACC where there is still 15 years.

If they settle out of court, or just ride it out for 3 more seasons, that is a good thing for the ACC.

If they take it to court, I think there will be some breathholding.

They can't say they plan on jumping early right now for legal reasons.

Yep. The most important thing to ACC fans is to see if the GOR hold up, as well as the exit fee.
Exactly. We all have to root for the Big 12 to not let them out of their GOR and not settle. Not a dime back. I mean, sure, it would be weird for Alabama at Oklahoma to be on Fox Saturday Night Football instead of CBS 3:30 but that's what these schools are signing up for until 2025. Also, if you are Fox and ESPN, I would think you'd be ecstatic about this premium SEC content falling into your lap.

Well, if they do indeed wait the full 3 years, that's a pretty good sign for the ACC that the GOR is ironclad. They'll be in the SEC long before July 1, 2025. Just unsure if their TV rights will go with them initially

Do you really think they are going to wait until 2025? That is what they are saying, but I would say the odds of that happening are Slim to None. I’d say they negotiate a settlement and will be playing in the SEC by 2023-24.
I think the only way they get out of the GOR earlier is if the rest of the Big12 dissolves and there is nobody left to enforce it.

I think the only way they get out of the GOR earlier is if the rest of the Big12 dissolves and there is nobody left to enforce it.
This is the right answer. Everyone else in the B12 is going to jump at their own opportunity to join another conference, just like we saw with the Big East. The remaining B12 members would need to pledge to another GOR in order to try to backfill any new members, and I don't know why anyone would paint themselves into a corner like that. If nobody is going to invest in holding the conference together, they'll agree to line their pockets with reduced exit fees from UT/OU.

I don't think that has much bearing on the ACC GOR because even if, let's say, two of Clemson/FSU/UNC/UVA wanted out for the SEC or B1G, there's zero chance the rest of the ACC is going to dissolve. There are just too many members of a pretty stable conference who don't have any other logical place to go. The B12 is already losing 2/10 members. The ACC has 15.

so how would it work if one conference holds your media rights but you are playing in a new conference.. the old conference you left still gets the money from your home games? Fox would broadcast a home sooner or longhorn game against LSU and get the money?

i cant imagine the SEC would appreciate that set up.. so worst case, clemson leaves the ACC, espn and the acc still gets the revenue from clemson home games for the next 13 years?

This is the right answer. Everyone else in the B12 is going to jump at their own opportunity to join another conference, just like we saw with the Big East. The remaining B12 members would need to pledge to another GOR in order to try to backfill any new members, and I don't know why anyone would paint themselves into a corner like that. If nobody is going to invest in holding the conference together, they'll agree to line their pockets with reduced exit fees from UT/OU.

I don't think that has much bearing on the ACC GOR because even if, let's say, two of Clemson/FSU/UNC/UVA wanted out for the SEC or B1G, there's zero chance the rest of the ACC is going to dissolve. There are just too many members of a pretty stable conference who don't have any other logical place to go. The B12 is already losing 2/10 members. The ACC has 15.

There is zero chance it will disolve, but you want to avoid losing your biggest assets (Clemons, FSU, UNC) to anyone or the ACC is then just a deadman conference walking like the Big XII.

Reactions: pittdan77
There is zero chance it will disolve, but you want to avoid losing your biggest assets (Clemons, FSU, UNC) to anyone or the ACC is then just a deadman conference walking like the Big XII.
It isn't a "deadman conference" because there's no other viable conference for those teams to defect to. The remainder of the ACC is going to be the best possible option for Pitt/BC/Wake/NC State/etc. The problem is that the core of ISU/Baylor/TCU/etc leftover in the B12 is too small and they are geographically centered between the rest of their competition. They are uniquely qualified to get picked apart by everyone else.

You can argue that a future ACC might be the weakest of the P4/P5 conferences, but they are still going to be considered in that club no matter what.

The ACC has very valuable brands for basketball. Even though that isn't a primary consideration for TV and the programs aren't exactly performing as well as they would like, the ACC is still a valuable package.

This is a football world though.
Primarily but the TV people don't view it that way. It's why the ACC got less revenue in its TV deal but still has a seat at the table. The only other conference that comes close to the ACC in value for basketball is the B1G. It's also the main reason why the ACC added Louisville. They're the Texas of college basketball. Pitt is in the top 25 for basketball revenue ahead of Kansas and Texas. Don't underestimate how valuable that is to a conference.

Reactions: pittmeister
They're dead man walking in terms of revenue like the old BE right now.
The tv money will be gutted.
They're bowls will take a hit.
They won't have a seat at the big boy table.

96 lawyers and the ESPN exuctives are now in play to work through all of the numbers to reduce the financial buy out before 2025 expiration. Also commissioner Sankey is the most powerful person in intercollegiate sports.

Reactions: DORT and TIGER-PAUL
Primarily but the TV people don't view it that way. It's why the ACC got less revenue in its TV deal but still has a seat at the table. The only other conference that comes close to the ACC in value for basketball is the B1G. It's also the main reason why the ACC added Louisville. They're the Texas of college basketball. Pitt is in the top 25 for basketball revenue ahead of Kansas and Texas. Don't underestimate how valuable that is to a conference.
TV people absolutely view it that way. Why do you think the acc is so far behind in revenue.

If you really think it's all football, why was Louisville invited to join the conference?
Because they had the best football out of realistic schools we could have brought in at the time as well as better overall athletics.

The choices were essentially Louisville or Uconn. Uconn was left out. Why? Because their football sucked.

WVU was worse than Louisville at football?
WVU just signed their grant of rights with the Big XII prior to Maryland leaving. If they were still in the Big East at the time, I'd feel very confident that they would have been invited to the ACC over Louisville.

Maryland was still in the ACC and didn't declare they were leaving for the Big 10.

WVU just signed their grant of rights with the Big XII prior to Maryland leaving. If they were still in the Big East at the time, I'd feel very confident that they would have been invited to the ACC over Louisville.

Maryland was still in the ACC and didn't declare they were leaving for the Big 10.
Sorry, I'll be more specific. WVU was in play when Pitt and Syracuse were invited. Why not them?

Sorry, I'll be more specific. WVU was in play when Pitt and Syracuse were invited. Why not them?
Because in the 2010 era, it was about markets and adding additional cable subscribers. There was an academic component to that as well.

And honestly, you can maybe say fast forward 10 years, it was the wrong choice. Especially with cuse.

I mean, there is a directive from both the ACC and Pac 12 commisioners, straight up said during their intro conferences, that "football eats first" and should be the main focus at all of their universities. There is a reason for that.

There is also a reason why Kansas may be left out in the cold.

Whoever is left in the Big 12 is going go be stupid to dissolve it.

I have already predicted 3-4 will go to the Pac 12 so if WVU, ISU, and the Kansas's are left, they should absolutely keep the league going and add some American Athletic schools and get rich off the buyouts/GOR settlement. This is what the old Big East did. UConn, Cincy, and USF were the last 3 left, they collected all the fees and renamed their conference the American Athletic Conference

I think Texas & OU will be playing in the SEC in 2022. This letter is all posturing. I think they bolt and leave the Big 12 buyout to the lawyers. Regardless, it would only cost $70 million to leave & that would be money well spent.

I disagree 100%. Louisville and WVU were very very similar in almost every way. Louisville brought in the TV market of a medium-sized city and has a statewide following (though not as large as UK's) from a state with almost triple the population of WV.

I think Texas & OU will be playing in the SEC in 2022. This letter is all posturing. I think they bolt and leave the Big 12 buyout to the lawyers. Regardless, it would only cost $70 million to leave & that would be money well spent.
2022 or 2023 for sure.

I disagree 100%. Louisville and WVU were very very similar in almost every way. Louisville brought in the TV market of a medium-sized city and has a statewide following (though not as large as UK's) from a state with almost triple the population of WV.
If WVU would have waited, B12 would have taken Louisville. Then it would have been WVU or UConn for ACC when MD jumped. Crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT