ADVERTISEMENT

Our recruiting

But it takes a minimum of about 50 players to play the game. The occasional Diamond in the rough is great, but you need overall team personnel quality. And I know some prefer to think that every Pitt coach of the past 25 years has had some kind of magic eye that nobody else has, but every other program has a couple of those recruiting finds too.

Let me ask you this-what about the numerous 4 star busts we’ve had over the years? The coaches got the credit for bringing them in-shouldn’t they also get the blame when they bust?
Didn't say there were numerous examples at Pitt but Rushel Shell, Chad Voytik, and Deayean Rippy are three that come to mind, all out one class. Mychale Salahuddin might have been one of Duzz's bigger 4-star busts. But that wasn't really the point. It's not the stars that matter as much as it is the usefulness of the player on the big stage. Lots of reasons why a 4-star flames out. Could be because the kid is just a bust. Could be the coaches didn't know how to use the kid. Could be that the position room was just too crowded.

I mean, yeah, you need fifty kids or so to win. Most schools can't pull the dozen or so 4-stars per class it takes to fill up your roster that way. Even if they did, there will be busts and transfers. The schools that do that annually will probably be in the NC discussion annually. There just aren't that many of those schools.

Playmakers are essential to win. Nobody will argue that. You need a few of those kids. The argument has been that one of the only reasons Pitt won the ACC was a QB. Probably didn't hurt that he had a low 4-star WR, too. It didn't take a roster full of these kids for Pitt to play on the national stage, win the ACC, and be in the new playoff format, were it in place. I think the expectation for Pitt is that something like that is in play every few years, which right now, is where we're at. It sure isn't perfect but it's the had we're dealt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT