ADVERTISEMENT

Our remaining schedule...

Oct 25, 2021
Have your expectations changed at all?

Rhode Island... Not worth much discussion.

Georgia Tech... They played tough early against Clemson, but they're a mess.

Virginia Tech... I mean, they usually have some pretty decent guys in the trenches, so I'm not saying we can sleepwalk through beating them. But I don't see how they're going to score very many point this season. Should be a semi-comfortable win.

Louisville... I think we pound them with last year's defense. I'm not sure I trust this year's linebackers with Cunningham.

UNC... Could be a bad matchup if we allow them to light up the scoreboard, because we're not as apt as we were last season when it comes to matching it. I honestly don't know what to expect with this one. Our pass rush needs to improve so we can give Drake his Welcome-to-P5-football moment.

Syracuse... Obviously a tougher out then originally expected. But it's a game we will win as long as we don't lay a complete egg and shoot ourselves in the foot with turnovers. We're built to stop the run, and their QB didn't impress me much.

Virginia... Way worse than I thought. They're putting Armstrong under center quite a bit for some reason and having trouble moving the ball. Should be a fairly comfortable win.

Duke... As with Syracuse, might not be a free W this season. But we should obviously beat them.

Miami... Seems like Miami is Miami yet again. Which isn't necessarily good for Pitt (but might be good for our Coastal hopes).

I think I'm still where I was at before the season. I'm budgeting for a Miami loss and thinking we need to win at least one of two at Louisville and at UNC. A couple opponents (Syracuse and Duke) seem to have more of a pulse than I'd have thought, but that may be mitigated by Virginia being down.

I know the injuries are mounting, but I'm still saying 9-3, and I still think that's a solid season. I could see us dropping a game that looked like an easy win before the season just because we're not quite as smooth as I had hoped... but, there is no law that says we can't beat a very beatable Miami team to make up for that.

It would also depend where Tenn ends up. Tenn could lose to Georgia, beat Bama, and end up in as a 11-1. Georgia is 13-0. A 12-1 Pitt with lone loss to Tenn in OT may get them to 4 assuming no other unbeatens or one loss teams.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Really need to get through Rhode Island and see what the injury situation looks like. Other two games before the bye week are still manageable.

It would also depend where Tenn ends up. Tenn could lose to Georgia, beat Bama, and end up in as a 11-1. Georgia is 13-0. A 12-1 Pitt with lone loss to Tenn in OT may get them to 4 assuming no other unbeatens or one loss teams.
Once Tennessee starts playing fellow Sec teams, the favorable officiating they’ve enjoyed will shockingly disappear.

Between now and Miami game, you just described a string of sh!tbag opponents. So, of course, for Pitt 2 losses sounds about right.

In fact, because this is a Pitt kind of thing to do, I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose to UNC and LOU...then finally beat Miami and win the coastal at 9-3 with a head-to-head tiebreaker against MIA who also ends up with two ACC losses.

Reactions: upj87
Once Tennessee starts playing fellow Sec teams, the favorable officiating they’ve enjoyed will shockingly disappear.
Yes I don't doubt that but realistically they are looking at 10-2. Florida is not that good and they should beat them for the first time in 6 years this weekend. UK also likely not as good as ranking. Maybe they get blown out by both Georgia and Bama, but still good enough to hit 10 wins with the weak SEC east as they avoid A&M. They get LSU in a down year. Pull one upset of the two big ones (Georgia/Bama) and they either replay Bama for SEC title or sit at 11-1. I base this solely on all the P5 we think Pitt should beat end up having amazing years the years Pitt plays them (e.g., 10 win Iowa, 10 win OK State)...

Virginia Tech... I mean, they usually have some pretty decent guys in the trenches, so I'm not saying we can sleepwalk through beating them. But I don't see how they're going to score very many point this season. Should be a semi-comfortable win.

Louisville... I think we pound them with last year's defense. I'm not sure I trust this year's linebackers with Cunningham.

UNC... Could be a bad matchup if we allow them to light up the scoreboard, because we're not as apt as we were last season when it comes to matching it. I honestly don't know what to expect with this one. Our pass rush needs to improve so we can give Drake his Welcome-to-P5-football moment.

Syracuse... Obviously a tougher out then originally expected. But it's a game we will win as long as we don't lay a complete egg and shoot ourselves in the foot with turnovers. We're built to stop the run, and their QB didn't impress me much.

Virginia... Way worse than I thought. They're putting Armstrong under center quite a bit for some reason and having trouble moving the ball. Should be a fairly comfortable win.

Duke... As with Syracuse, might not be a free W this season. But we should obviously beat them.

Miami... Seems like Miami is Miami yet again. Which isn't necessarily good for Pitt (but might be good for our Coastal hopes).

I think I'm still where I was at before the season. I'm budgeting for a Miami loss and thinking we need to win at least one of two at Louisville and at UNC. A couple opponents (Syracuse and Duke) seem to have more of a pulse than I'd have thought, but that may be mitigated by Virginia being down.

I know the injuries are mounting, but I'm still saying 9-3, and I still think that's a solid season. I could see us dropping a game that looked like an easy win before the season just because we're not quite as smooth as I had hoped... but, there is no law that says we can't beat a very beatable Miami team to make up for that.
What the hell does Miami is once again Miami mean? If it means they will once more not win the Coastal (or any title for that matter) then ok.
I’ll let you in on some news;
Howard Schnellenberger is dead.
Larry Coker is in the old folks home.
Jimmy Johnson is being held up by his hair
Bernie Kosar is struggling thru life
Dennis Erickson is coaching some intramural convict teams, and
They tend to quit without notice.

Don’t live in the past…learn from the past.

Reactions: csh2088
What the hell does Miami is once again Miami mean? If it means they will once more not win the Coastal (or any title for that matter) then ok.

Um, what? Inferiority Complex much? Lol.

"Miami is Miami" means they're probably not quite the juggernaut they were hyped up to be, but they will still probably give Pitt all it can handle.

If healthy, which is a bit "if", Pitt should be favored against everyone except Miami and maybe UNC.
Van Dyke is pretty good but Miami's explosive offense scored...9 points against Texas A&M. The team that lost to App State.

Looking forward to the UNC - Notre Dame game just to see what Carolina is really like.

If healthy, which is a bit "if", Pitt should be favored against everyone except Miami and maybe UNC.
Van Dyke is pretty good but Miami's explosive offense scored...9 points against Texas A&M. The team that lost to App State.

Looking forward to the UNC - Notre Dame game just to see what Carolina is really like.

Gerogia State (or Southern or whatever it was) holding them to a pretty reasonable 35 gives me some hope. I mean their defense is terrible. But if they're scoring against us in three plays and we're having to mount 10+ play drives to match them, there will just be more room for mistakes on our end.

Reactions: PANTHERKEITH
Who would you guys start this week at QB , given that Narduzzi said Slovis is ready to play ?
I say play Slovis, get his some reps before ACC play.

Last edited:
Who would you guys start this week at QB this week, given that Narduzzi said Slovis is ready to play.

Slovis in the first half, to get back into the swing of things and mount a little confidence with the receivers. Pad some stats for those guys and make them happy. Yarnell in the third quarter, if we're up comfortably. And then Kyler in the 4th quarter.

The UNC ND game should be known as the ENIGMA Bowl.

Like Narduzzi said this kids put some much time into football they love to play the game. If Slovis can go he should play then get up by the general rule in high school 3 scores before you mass sub. Same with Izzy play get some reps stay sharp then rest him.

Historically, Pitt has not fared well against Miami. It’s going to be even more difficult on the road.

T

That's about how I see it as well

North Carolina's defense is HORRIBLE. App State put up 40 on them in a quarter and allowed Georgia State to score 25 unanswered points. I feel pretty good about Pitt's chances against them.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Let us hope that the injury bug slows down and the team can get reasonably healthy when we hit the ACC schedule. Having decent depth for a change is refreshing but still, more than one season has been derailed by a cascade of injuries.

I don't think that unc ND game will show us much. ND lost to marshal

Let us hope that the injury bug slows down and the team can get reasonably healthy when we hit the ACC schedule. Having decent depth for a change is refreshing but still, more than one season has been derailed by a cascade of injuries.

I hear you. Schedule sets up beautifully to weather through a few injuries for now, at least. We need to start getting guys back at least by Louisville, though.

I don't think that unc ND game will show us much. ND lost to marshal
UNC currently has the second worst defense in the P5, in points allowed per drive. They have yet to play another P5 team. ND has one of the worst offenses in the country, in points per drive. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out, even if it doesn't tell us much about what UNC will do later in the season.

Historically, Pitt has not fared well against Miami. It’s going to be even more difficult on the road.
Pitt is 3-22 vs the Hurricanes since 1984, which is about the time that Pitt's program went south while the "U" was taking Pitt's place as a national power. In those 25 games, the Panthers have scored 20 or more points just 9 times (3-6). Pitt has held the Canes to 20 points or less just 5 times. With their A game or C game, Miami beats the hell out of Pitt like nobody this side of Notre Dame.
Miami is the ultimate measuring stick for Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT