ADVERTISEMENT

Our Wide Receivers

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
For several years, I have posted that our WRs are never open. Although our QB play post-Pickett was poor, I put a ton of blame on our WR's. I go to the games and rarely did I see WRs running open. I realize it was JUST Kent State but I could not believe that our WR's were open and a lot. I haven't seen that in 2 years.

They were open all over the field as well and when they were, Pitt took advantage of some short throws to manufacture yards. Kenny Johnson looked every bit the part of a No. 1 today.

I thought Kenny Johnson showed great concentration and hands on a few of his catches. Huge improvement as aWR from last year. I think they did a much better job of route combos, especially split TEs to rub guys open. As you mentioned, it was Kent State, but they did a very good job getting receivers open. A lot of promise from that group.

The RPOs are an adjustment for the OL, but Taylor at LT had tough time with #6 for Kent. Need to get better or give him some help or some of those throws won’t be there.

I thought Kenny Johnson showed great concentration and hands on a few of his catches. Huge improvement as aWR from last year. I think they did a much better job of route combos, especially split TEs to rub guys open. As you mentioned, it was Kent State, but they did a very good job getting receivers open. A lot of promise from that group.

The RPOs are an adjustment for the OL, but Taylor at LT had tough time with #6 for Kent. Need to get better or give him some help or some of those throws won’t be there.
You could tell last year as a true freshman Kenny Johnson had the talent to be really good.

He was very impressive yesterday. Half his catches came on some fairly bad throws.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
I've said a few times throughout the years that our receivers can't be THAT bad and some of it has to do with scheme, because I've watched guys all over the country scheme 2-stars open in spread offenses. I feel like we were finally on the right side of that.

I'm surprised Fowler-El and Seymore have fallen so out of favor. I thought that would be a really good receiver class, and now it's basically just Kenny Johnson.

We better start blocking better, though, because we'd all be singing a different tune if that was any FBS team not named Kent State.

I've said a few times throughout the years that our receivers can't be THAT bad and some of it has to do with scheme, because I've watched guys all over the country scheme 2-stars open in spread offenses. I feel like we were finally on the right side of that.

I'm surprised Fowler-El and Seymore have fallen so out of favor. I thought that would be a really good receiver class, and now it's basically just Kenny Johnson.

We better start blocking better, though, because we'd all be singing a different tune if that was any FBS team not named Kent State.

Kent seemed to give the quick stuff and they took it.

Other times you have to give your WR a chance to make a play. Happens every game I watch, and it seem like we never did that the last few years.

The OL has a big adjustment with blocking assignments and stamina. I don't think anyone's going to get a lot of help. They should improve each week.

Kent seemed to give the quick stuff and they took it.

Other times you have to give your WR a chance to make a play. Happens every game I watch, and it seem like we never did that the last few years.

The OL has a big adjustment with blocking assignments and stamina. I don't think anyone's going to get a lot of help. They should improve each week.

We probably don't even have the horses for it to be an option, but I wonder if rotating the OL on occasion wouldn't be a prudent thing to do. Taylor, for instance, seems to be carrying a lot of bad weight.

Reactions: Kaywood105
We probably don't even have the horses for it to be an option, but I wonder if rotating the OL on occasion wouldn't be a prudent thing to do. Taylor, for instance, seems to be carrying a lot of bad weight.

In one of Bell's interviews he basically said our guys were too heavy, and they were trying to slim them down.

You could tell last year as a true freshman Kenny Johnson had the talent to be really good.

He was very impressive yesterday. Half his catches came on some fairly bad throws.

I remember a few they were tough throws and tough catches. Not necessarily bad. Just lower % plays that required good play on both ends

I remember a few they were tough throws and tough catches. Not necessarily bad. Just lower % plays that required good play on both ends

There were those.

There were also 2 or 3 poorly thrown balls that he basically snatched off the turf. Great catches that a lot of guys don't make. Had they been good throws, he could have ripped off a lot of yds after the catch.

After seeing the game, I have more hope for our passing game than I have since Pickett left.

The offensive scheme is definitely more exciting, and it seems that more guys get open.

That first series with Holstein was very encouraging. He has good discipline and appears to make good throws. He still has things to learn, but I feel we have found our QB. Holstein has the potential to become a very good QB.

Kenny Johnson is a star in the making.

Reactions: ChadrickB
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT