ADVERTISEMENT

Out of town scores

Cap pitt

Junior
Jul 20, 2014
There was a time a few years ago at the lower corners of the upper decks they would show out of town scores that ran all through the Pitt games, why did they stop that?

Very irritating they don't run an out-of-town scoreboard or show any highlights of other games.

Why? You can check the scores on your phone.

I also think its totally stupid in this day and age to still have the scrolling scores at the bottom of the ESPN screen. Its distracting. Everyone has instant access to scores whenever they want them. And I totally hate the listing of women's basketball scores that 14 people care about. Half the time I see a score and think some big upset happened in a men's game but nope, the women's teams were playing.

I also think its totally stupid in this day and age to still have the scrolling scores at the bottom of the ESPN screen. Its distracting. Everyone has instant access to scores whenever they want them. And I totally hate the listing of women's basketball scores that 14 people care about. Half the time I see a score and think some big upset happened in a men's game but nope, the women's teams were playing.

Were you in Knoxville?

Anyone else have trouble checking their smart phone in Neyland? I'm not sure they ever displayed out of town scores either, other than a highlight of the tOSU/Oregon game on the video board.

Reactions: quip
Were you in Knoxville?

Anyone else have trouble checking their smart phone in Neyland? I'm not sure they ever displayed out of town scores either, other than a highlight of the tOSU/Oregon game on the video board.
This is a good point. Been to many college games where there is little or no cell signal due to the sheer number of users in one place.

Were you in Knoxville?

Actually yes, terrible reception in Knoxville. I don't think they have 4G yet in Tennessee.

And no, they didn't have out of town scores at Neyland.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

It's not a big deal to have the scores on a small section of the video ribbons below the sideline and end zone seating. I'm there to watch the game, not constantly pull my phone out to check scores.

It's not a big deal to have the scores on a small section of the video ribbons below the sideline and end zone seating. I'm there to watch the game, not constantly pull my phone out to check scores.

Everybody has their noses in their cell phones constantly. Driving? Nose in cellphone. At a football game? Nose in cell phone. It's just a way of life now, so I guess they decided to let us check out of town scores with our cell phones.

The other reason is that it takes a person and some effort to post the scores on a scoreboard. People don't want to work now and certainly if they are working, don't want to put out the effort to look up scores and put them on a "scoreboard", where scores are supposed to go.

yes, because we need more 24 hour a day face in phone zombies....the only thing distracting about the ESPN scrolls is having to wade through the irrelevant European soccer scores and WNBA news.......

Last edited:

I don't like to have my phone out at games, from the professional level down to my kids' soccer games, unless I'm taking a video. I feel like I often miss too much if my head is down. I prefer to keep my phone in my pocket and try to enjoy the experience. I know I'm in the minority though.

Who want to screw around with their phone checking scores when they were right there, during the games my phone is out of sight and out of mind, when I get my phone out I have to get my reading glasses out too, I had no trouble reading the scores on those boards. And besides, with food in one hand and a bottle of water in the other ???

Last edited:
Reactions: quip
Very irritating they don't run an out-of-town scoreboard or show any highlights of other games.
I complained about that once and the guy who ostensibly was in charge of production (since departed) bitched me up and down saying how hard it was to do. I suggested that if they could pipe in Gawd awful music and decibel levels heard on Mars they could pop up a few scores.
He’s gone.

Bobby Dodd Stadium had a small section on the right side of the scoreboard of the upperdeck dedicated to out of town scores. The scores were constantly updated: Texas/TCU TN/Mizzou Michigan/Wisconsin Minnesota/Purdue UNC/Duke, etc. Noticeably absent was the UGA/Arkansas score. 😂

I love that stadium. One of the underrated gems in college football, imo. Besides being in a pro town, it's really more of a wine and cheese crowd with lots of blue hairs, but a great place to enjoy a college football. Really not a bad seat in the house and very close to the field.

Bobby Dodd Stadium had a small section on the right side of the scoreboard of the upperdeck dedicated to out of town scores. The scores were constantly updated: Texas/TCU TN/Mizzou Michigan/Wisconsin Minnesota/Purdue UNC/Duke, etc. Noticeably absent was the UGA/Arkansas score. 😂

I love that stadium. One of the underrated gems in college football, imo. Besides being in a pro town, it's really more of a wine and cheese crowd with lots of blue hairs, but a great place to enjoy a college football. Really not a bad seat in the house and very close to the field.
I like that stadium too. Sat in club seats the game Blewitt kicked the long FG to win it. Food and beer offerings were good, and just a cool place for a stadium basically situated on a city block. Plenty of postgame options for a meal and beers, and close to the train stop.
I haven't gone to many away stadiums, but GT is my favourite. It's better than ND.

Reactions: TD_6082 and quip
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT