ADVERTISEMENT

Outlook On Finishing in the Top 25 - Analysis

pittmeister

Heisman Winner
May 26, 2010
Below is the last AP Top 25 along with their current record and whether they won or lost their bowl game (Results in BOLD letters). Pitt could squeeze in. What would help would be Miss, St losing to Illinois and LSU Beating Purdue.

Teams ranked On Dec 4th:
15. Oregon (10-3) WON
16. LSU (9-4) TBD Need to beat Purdue
17. Oregon St. (10-3) WON
18. UCLA (9-4) LOST
19. Notre Dame (9-4) WON
20. South Carolina (8-5) LOST
21. Texas (8-5) LOST
22. UTSA (11-2) LOST
23. Troy (11-2) WON
24. Miss. St (8-4) TBD – Need them to lose against Illinois
25. NC State (8-5) LOST

Others Receiving Votes in Order - Highest to Lowest:
North Carolina (9-5) LOST
UCF (9-5) LOST – Got drubbed by Duke 30-13
Cincinnati (9-4) LOST – Beat No Ranked Teams
Ole Miss (8-5) LOST – Lost last 4 games
Fresno State (10-4) WON – Beat unranked Wash St in bowl game
Purdue (8-5) TBD - Need them to lose against LSU
South Alabama (10-3) LOST – Lost to UCLA & Western Kentucky
Illinois (8-4) TBD – Need them to beat Miss St.
Boise State (10-4) WON – Beat No Ranked Teams
Pittsburgh (9-4) WON – Won last 5 games
Minnesota (9-4) WON – Beat No Ranked Teams
James Madison (8-3) DNP – Beat Nobody

Additional:
Duke (9-4) WON – Lost to Pitt

Nice write up. Will be close. NC state & Miss State with a loss are definitely out. Texas & South Carolina should be out but SEC, and Texas is back, so you never know. UTSA should also fall. And you can't rank (logically) UCLA over Pitt with the same records and Pitt winning the head to head.

Although an Illinois win could just cause a flip with Miss State.

Below is the last AP Top 25 along with their current record and whether they won or lost their bowl game (Results in BOLD letters). Pitt could squeeze in. What would help would be Miss, St losing to Illinois and LSU Beating Purdue.

Teams ranked On Dec 4th:
15. Oregon (10-3) WON
18. UCLA (9-4) LOST
19. Notre Dame (9-4) WON
21. Texas (8-5) LOST
22. UTSA (11-2) LOST
23. Troy (11-2) WON
25. NC State (8-5) LOST

Additional:
Definitely top 25 now

Seems like the Illinois/Mississippi State outcome shouldn't matter either way if they're both ahead of us, no?

But I think we'll probably get in after seeing this list. Like, I don't think you can put a 9-4 UCLA team over a 9-4 team that beat them with backups, can you?

Also, we were really lacking in good wins this season, so this adds another. Should put us ahead of teams like Troy and Fresno State, I would think. I think we're now like 3-3 against bowl teams, unless I'm forgetting something. That's not great, but it's better than 0-3, which is what it was at one point. And being hot at the end shouldn't hurt. We kind of went out and took 9-4 instead of backing into it.

Reactions: WillFerrell
Seems like the Illinois/Mississippi State outcome shouldn't matter either way if they're both ahead of us, no?

But I think we'll probably get in after seeing this list. Like, I don't think you can put a 9-4 UCLA team over a 9-4 team that beat them with backups, can you?

Also, we were really lacking in good wins this season, so this adds another. Should put us ahead of teams like Troy and Fresno State, I would think. I think we're now like 3-3 against bowl teams, unless I'm forgetting something. That's not great, but it's better than 0-3, which is what it was at one point. And being hot at the end shouldn't hurt. We kind of went out and took 9-4 instead of backing into it.
I guess it’s possible if ILL beats Miss St, we gain another spot. Jumping both.

I think a lot of voters will rank Pitt 19.

Teams ranked On Dec 4th:
15. Oregon (10-3) WON
18. UCLA (9-4) LOST
19. Notre Dame (9-4) WON
21. Texas (8-5) LOST
22. UTSA (11-2) LOST
23. Troy (11-2) WON
25. NC State (8-5) LOST

Additional:

I think we should be in. In my opinion all five of those teams 18-25 that lost should drop all the way out of top 25. Maybe UCLA hangs on at 25. But that leaves 4 spots for new teams to work into top 25. Only 2 of the teams above us, not in top 25 won. So as long as at least one of the other two that are ahead of us lose we should be in. If they both win another team could drop out plus UCLA might drop out since Pitt would have beaten them head to head.

Regardless of what happens with voters, we deserve to be a top 25. Had a really good loss to TN, that probably should have been a win. Had another loss to Coastal Champ. And then two bad losses. But after the last loss we ran out the season with 5 straight wins, 4 of which were conference games, and then a nice bowl win over a team that was a top team in PAC12.

Also I think it’s better for us if Illinois loses. One less spot open in top 25 but then we are clearly over them, so one less spot filled ahead of us in top 25. They win they stay ahead of us and then we have to jump their opponent. The less teams we have to jump the better.

Last edited:
The Miss. St vs Illinois game is kinda of a wash. However Miss. St is already in the Top 25. If they win they will be guaranteed to be ranked. However, there’s a chance Pitt may leapfrog Illinois if they win. So it’s better to probably root for Illinois…

Pitt deserves a top 25 spot, but many voters have a bias and/or are idiots.
Particularly in our own town.
The way the news in this town basically across the entire board, Tv and newspaper, covered this game, was …remarkably … that we barely overcame a lot of mistakes, and that UCLA nearly beat us with its backup quarterback. I’m not exaggerating. No mention that the UCLA starter played nearly the whole game (and a gangsta thug at that), and no mention at all was made that we were missing 10 starters!!!

Again, the bias in Pgh is more remarkable rather than angering at this point. I mention it only because these are the same Nit worshipping ‘tards that get to vote for the rankings.

I think we finish top 25 in coaches. Ap voters suck and will probably not rank pitt just because.

Not sure voters will remember but the Vols whipped Clemson last night without Hooker and of course Pitt had a chance way back when. Also, Ferrell pointed out (post above) the national attention of the game along with CBS’ coverage will do wonders for perception. The graphic of the players missing from Pitt’s team for the game was telling. I enjoyed the attitude the team had towards a chippy west coast bunch.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Particularly in our own town.
The way the news in this town basically across the entire board, Tv and newspaper, covered this game, was …remarkably … that we barely overcame a lot of mistakes, and that UCLA nearly beat us with its backup quarterback. I’m not exaggerating. No mention that the UCLA starter played nearly the whole game (and a gangsta thug at that), and no mention at all was made that we were missing 10 starters!!!

Again, the bias in Pgh is more remarkable rather than angering at this point. I mention it only because these are the same Nit worshipping ‘tards that get to vote for the rankings.
Well you missed the graphic of the disappearing lineup for Pitt. The Brad & Gary show did a nice job of reminding the audience who was missing. And how about that college hall of fame graphic? Wow. Add a few more who made NFL HOF but not college. Nessler’s reaction to the punter being roughed was priceless. Obviously I’m a fan of that broadcasting team with their SEC games.

Well you missed the graphic of the disappearing lineup for Pitt. The Brad & Gary show did a nice job of reminding the audience who was missing. And how about that college hall of fame graphic? Wow. Add a few more who made NFL HOF but not college. Nessler’s reaction to the punter being roughed was priceless. Obviously I’m a fan of that broadcasting team with their SEC games.

Brad & Gary watch a lot of high caliber SEC games during the year, yet the were very respectful of Pitt and didn't downplay us at all. And as you said their fawning over of the HOF graphic was very nice.

They were also in shock of the flag pick up for PI on Wayne because the refs said the ball was uncatchable. They knew Wayne was cutting to that spot and couldn't make it because he was pushed down by the DB.

I thought it was an overall fair crew giving props to both teams.

Reactions: bayardstreet
Yep, those two did a nice job calling the game and it was great to have a high-caliber broadcast after being on ACCN all season.

Pitt did enough to earn a spot in the top 25 and enough teams ahead of them lost that they should finish in the 22-25 range.

Reactions: gary2
Pittsburgh media was the focus of my post

I know this is football board, but, I also think the BB team should be ranked too, 10-4. Overall 3 - 0 ACC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT