ADVERTISEMENT

P5s with a worse recruiting class than Pitt

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Per Rivals, we finished in a 4 way tie for 50th with Rutgers, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern. Here's who we beat:

Arizona
Wake Forest
BC
Washington State
Texas Tech
Scott Barnes U
Kansas State
Kansas
Maryland
Illinois
Louisville

Of the 11 schools we beat, 5 have new HCs which makes it very difficult to sign a solid 1st class as we know.

This is probably the worst non-coaching transition class since Majors II. Narduzzi and Co. have to do some soul searching to figure out what went wrong. Sure there are some obstacles to overcome but that's your job.

Per Rivals, we finished in a 4 way tie for 50th with Rutgers, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern. Here's who we beat:

Arizona
Wake Forest
BC
Washington State
Texas Tech
Scott Barnes U
Kansas State
Kansas
Maryland
Illinois
Louisville

Of the 11 schools we beat, 5 have new HCs which makes it very difficult to sign a solid 1st class as we know.

This is probably the worst non-coaching transition class since Majors II. Narduzzi and Co. have to do some soul searching to figure out what went wrong. Sure there are some obstacles to overcome but that's your job.
Syracuse was worse as well. That was after they finished in the Top 25.

Wait a second. So the legendary Mike Leach who Pitt didn’t have the balls to hire, wins 10 games a year because he schedules “smartly “, and coaches the team to play an exciting/high octane style of football, produced a worse recruiting class than Pitt?

Wow, that’s three boogeymen killed at once

What ranking do you think a P5 football recruit should have?

Meaning top 500, top 1000, top 1500?

Arizona
Wake Forest
BC
Washington State
Texas Tech
Scott Barnes U
Kansas State
Kansas
Maryland
Illinois
Louisville

What ranking do you think a P5 football recruit should have?

Meaning top 500, top 1000, top 1500?

Although i think that poster would reply top 500 or better to your question. I think the underlying point being made is for that poster we should be landing classes as good as say Georgia or Clemson, etc.; Or, at some minimum we should always be at or near the top of all P% recruiting classes each year.

A significant number of Pitt fans, especially those old enough to remember the mid 1970s to early 1980s, will always be bitterly unhappy with Pitt football anytime any recruiting class is not in the top 25 nationally. They long deeply for Pitt to return to being a National Championship contender. Any time recruiting and/or on the field results that do not trend in that direction it will make them very dissatisfied and unhappy. That viewpoint, even if it is totally unrealistic in 2019, remains inherent to many long time Pitt fans.

Although i think that poster would reply top 500 or better to your question. I think the underlying point being made is for that poster we should be landing classes as good as say Georgia or Clemson, etc.; Or, at some minimum we should always be at or near the top of all P% recruiting classes each year.

A significant number of Pitt fans, especially those old enough to remember the mid 1970s to early 1980s, will always be bitterly unhappy with Pitt football anytime any recruiting class is not in the top 25 nationally. They long deeply for Pitt to return to being a National Championship contender. Any time recruiting and/or on the field results that do not trend in that direction it will make them very dissatisfied and unhappy. That viewpoint, even if it is totally unrealistic in 2019, remains inherent to many long time Pitt fans.

I think Pitt should have classes ranked from 25-35. Maybe in some years, we strike it big locally from a good WPIAL class and we finish 17th or something like that.

Wait a second. So the legendary Mike Leach who Pitt didn’t have the balls to hire, wins 10 games a year because he schedules “smartly “, and coaches the team to play an exciting/high octane style of football, produced a worse recruiting class than Pitt?

Wow, that’s three boogeymen killed at once

BINGO!

Not winning because you have a low recruiting ranking IS an excuse.

You can still win if you do things differently. Syracuse, WSU, UCF all found ways to win. Whether it’s softening the schedule, changing schemes, recruiting players that are fast and athletic regardless of ranking.

Same approach, same results...

Reactions: FireballZ
I think Pitt should have classes ranked from 25-35. Maybe in some years, we strike it big locally from a good WPIAL class and we finish 17th or something like that.

I don't think that this is an unreasonable expectation. A school like Pitt should be able to pull in a class within this range (25-35). I like HCPN but after 4 years, he's running out of excuses why it's still mediocre.

Reactions: brickfhouse
Look, I bash Narduzzi's recruiting as much as anyone but to be fair, this class is "small" with only 19 commits. Maybe if he has 24 spots, he could have brought the class average up? Maybe not.

The classes are getting progressively worse in small increments. That can't be denied.

Reactions: brickfhouse
The WPIAL is terrible and not likely to be much of a factor for Pitt. Not having much local talent will make it difficult for Pitt land many, if any top 250 recruits.

A good class for Pitt would be a couple of top 250-500; mostly top 500-1000 types; and a handful of 1000-1500 types.

This class is small and missing the couple of 250-500 types Having half of the class in the top 1000 is fine- they probably added good quality depth in key positions.

This class isn't going to move the team forward or backwards, imo.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
The WPIAL is terrible and not likely to be much of a factor for Pitt. Not having much local talent will make it difficult for Pitt land many, if any top 250 recruits.

A good class for Pitt would be a couple of top 250-500; mostly top 500-1000 types; and a handful of 1000-1500 types.

This class is small and missing the couple of 250-500 types Having half of the class in the top 1000 is fine- they probably added good quality depth in key positions.

This class isn't going to move the team forward or backwards, imo.

I think it moves the team backwards. There are a lot of questionable prospects here that will take a few years to figure out. Makes the staff's job twice as hard.

I don't think that this is an unreasonable expectation. A school like Pitt should be able to pull in a class within this range (25-35). I like HCPN but after 4 years, he's running out of excuses why it's still mediocre.

Doing and saying things like this won’t help his cause locally...

First, he steals Devonshire’s thunder by tweeting “That’s a wrap on 2019”

Then he says this at the press conference:

“I want guys that love Pittsburgh, and that’s what it comes down to. You either love Pittsburgh and you want to stay here and play for your city, or you don’t. And if you don’t, I’m good. We wouldn’t win with you anyway.”

OUCH!

His frustration is apparent and I don’t blame him, but you can’t say things like that...

Reactions: PittFanDan17

I wouldn't call it a deep longing or any particular nostalgia. It's simply the standard. Pitt and its apologists can scoff at the expectations or point out the flaws of pro market thinking or the immortality of winning college sports or whatever rationalization they want. Fact remains. Fans need to know the program is relevant for occasional championship contention (THE championship, the one with the sparkly trophy). That's the standard. Otherwise, empty seats (no matter what stadium or where), rock bottom sales and prices, no donations. It's the standard. Refuse to meet it, consider withdrawing from the market, because it's not changing.

“I want guys that love Pittsburgh, and that’s what it comes down to. You either love Pittsburgh and you want to stay here and play for your city, or you don’t. And if you don’t, I’m good. We wouldn’t win with you anyway.”

OUCH!

His frustration is apparent and I don’t blame him, but you can’t say things like that...
I am ok with the “early” morning tweet. He was welcoming his class. Those are the only people that he has to worry about.

The comment at the press conference was totally unnecessary. Sounded like a scorned lover and an a$$. No reason for it other than to take a shot. If jimmy would have done that, we’d be all over him.

OUCH!

That was childish to do that.

And a good example of why local coaches don’t respect him.

Reactions: pittmeister
I wouldn't call it a deep longing or any particular nostalgia. It's simply the standard. Pitt and its apologists can scoff at the expectations or point out the flaws of pro market thinking or the immortality of winning college sports or whatever rationalization they want. Fact remains. Fans need to know the program is relevant for occasional championship contention (THE championship, the one with the sparkly trophy). That's the standard. Otherwise, empty seats (no matter what stadium or where), rock bottom sales and prices, no donations. It's the standard. Refuse to meet it, consider withdrawing from the market, because it's not changing.
How then do you explain the numerous programs who plain and simple are NOT in contention for THE “ Sparkling trophy “ who also manage year after year to get support not only in attendance but also financially from donations...?? How??

This can’t be minimized... I couldn’t stand Barnes but his statements on donations were correct... Pitt fans simply don’t view themselves as part of the process... they view themselves as a consumer... and that model just doesn’t work... you either support your school or you don’t and you can’t be a contender for sparkling anything without support... period. It’s money... it’s boosters... and it happens at all levels high school.. college etc.

You can’t tell me if Pitt is near the top of living alumni in the ACC but also near the bottom in donations that makes sense at all to expect to withhold donations till you get your shot at The sparkling trophies... you won’t get there

How then do you explain the numerous programs who plain and simple are NOT in contention for THE “ Sparkling trophy “ who also manage year after year to get support not only in attendance but also financially from donations...?? How??

This can’t be minimized... I couldn’t stand Barnes but his statements on donations were correct... Pitt fans simply don’t view themselves as part of the process... they view themselves as a consumer... and that model just doesn’t work... you either support your school or you don’t and you can’t be a contender for sparkling anything without support... period. It’s money... it’s boosters... and it happens at all levels high school.. college etc.

You can’t tell me if Pitt is near the top of living alumni in the ACC but also near the bottom in donations that makes sense at all to expect to withhold donations till you get your shot at The sparkling trophies... you won’t get there
Pitt admin for 30 plus years has locked down the activities that serious donors expect their money to go for.

Quit blaming the customers.

If anyone thought Pitt was getting Devonshire after a recruit we jobbed from Air Force announces a very late commitment last week, then they were just kidding themselves. Most of the bluster came from the amateurs (Vuk and company) that were trying to turn this into a "big" recruiting story. And they screwed it up anyway with a terrible audio feed. I really think Narduzzi was doing it to tick off Vuk.

Narduzzi is also trying to play up some underdog, rag tag, something or another to the kids he did sign or that are in the program. He made a huge deal out of the "412" stuff when he got here and it hasn't paid off. He is butt hurt, no doubt. But it's largely his own fault. He has to give these kids a reason to play for him beyond the local pride stuff. You can run with that line a little more if you're succeeding. He's not.

Pitt admin for 30 plus years has locked down the activities that serious donors expect their money to go for.

Quit blaming the customers.

“Quit blaming the customers”

100% correct! If you want money, you cannot shut them out.

Some just will never get this. Our fans set up our own roadblocks.

Admin has blame too, especially in the past. This one seems to be wanting to correct things and upgrade, etc, but they aren't the only issue.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I honestly don't give a crap what a bunch of ratings people think. I wanna know can the kids run tackle catch throw etc. And I want kids that will work hard on and off the field, fit in at Pitt and are not basket cases. I hope these kids in the class of 19 proves everyone wrong. I also hope that team chemistry and overall efforts proves more valuable than individual rankings.

OUCH!

Yes you can...and he did.

I honestly don't give a crap what a bunch of ratings people think. I wanna know can the kids run tackle catch throw etc. And I want kids that will work hard on and off the field, fit in at Pitt and are not basket cases. I hope these kids in the class of 19 proves everyone wrong. I also hope that team chemistry and overall efforts proves more valuable than individual rankings.
And I want world peace, a 100% raise each year, a competent government, and my dog to stop marking the foot of my bed frame. That was a fun game, thanks for starting it.

On that same note, you don't "give a crap" about what the ratings people think just want to know if the kids can play football...What do you think they are rating but their ability to run, tackle, throw, catch, etc.? I am pretty sure they get at least 2 stars if they can recite all 50 states and another star if they are able to correctly solve the Sphinx's riddle. I'll be damned if I know how they assign the other 2 stars.

Reactions: Ski11585

OUCH!

There’s the thing right from the top.

For whatever reason the type of FB player needed here doesn’t want to go to Pitt....so they’re spinning as playing for Pittsburgh.

Hey drive thru the tunnel then drive to the top and look down at the City.

Pittsburgh

IMO other than the Top 10 programs coordinators do most of the recruiting not the HC.
Solution #1= employ coordinators with connections to existing lucrative hs football talent pipelines
Solution # 2 = recruiting is like drilling for oil. Find areas or pockets of talent that the top program haven't found
Solution # 3- find 3 star players with upside potential that the top programs pass on. Make sure the 4 star players PITT gets aren't busts. Ford is a perfect example and IMO Hamlin. Hamlin isn't a bust but he performs like a good 3 star player not a top 4 star player.

Narduzzi and company seem to be stuck in a traditional head to head recruiting process. PITT is always battling the top programs for top recruits with minimal success.
Change the recruiting game Narduzzi be more like UCF.

Still compete for the top prospects but plan on not getting most of those players, and recruit smart.
intengineering__2014-09-19_22-02-30.jpg

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams

Last edited:

What part is childish if you read the entire quote?

Q: Does it concern you that you only have two western Pennsylvania guys this year?
Narduzzi: No, we're looking for football players and we're trying to win a championship. In the end, if we're in the ACC Championship game and you're looking down - if you're looking for the initials at the end of the city they're in, is it PA, is it FL, is it MA - it doesn't matter where they're from, it matters what they do on the field because that's what you'll be asking about. I know that. You ain't going to be asking like, "Hey, he made a play today, but he's from Florida. How come we couldn't get that guy in New Jersey?"

I don't care where they're from. We're going to recruit the heck out of our backyard. We spend a ton of time in the schools from Ohio to New Jersey, and we're going to, we'll get the ones that want to come. I want guys that love Pittsburgh, okay, and that's what it comes down to. You either love Pittsburgh and you want to stay here and play for your city, or you don't, and if you don't, I'm good. We wouldn't win with you anyway. It's beautiful.

"I think ratings are dumb but I want someone to tell me how good these kids can be."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT