ADVERTISEMENT

PA Recruiting News

Looks like we are not recruiting good enough for this league?
if they handed out NCAA champ trophies based on recruiting rankings, sure ;)

I don't see the rest of the ACC reloading as a bad thing; if we are behind VT/NCSU/UVa in recruiting rankings this year but ahead of 65 other schools out of 80, that's a good result imo. Puts us ahead of a lot of teams and closer to where the staff wants to be (which I don't think has anything to do with the ACC tbh). Ofc I am biased, but I also think our incoming guys are underrated across the board.

are the hellers going to help us.
Just got off the phone with Holden and Reece Heller. I hope to have a story on them for you guys soon. There are already a few that should be posted in the next week or so. Should be plenty of new content on the site soon.
They are interesting guys and absolutely love wrestling. Should be good additions for Coach Gavin and the staff.

So we have a gaping hole at 125 for now.
What I got from the staff is that they expect Camacho to be at 125 next year. Otherwise, that could be a real problem. I haven't been able to connect with Codie Cuerbo for an interview yet, but he was a 113-pounder this year, so it's hard to ask him to step into a D-I lineup at 125 next year.

if they handed out NCAA champ trophies based on recruiting rankings, sure ;)

I don't see the rest of the ACC reloading as a bad thing; if we are behind VT/NCSU/UVa in recruiting rankings this year but ahead of 65 other schools out of 80, that's a good result imo. Puts us ahead of a lot of teams and closer to where the staff wants to be (which I don't think has anything to do with the ACC tbh). Ofc I am biased, but I also think our incoming guys are underrated across the board.
My only concern is this is the year that Pitt is really loading up and still trails the other schools. With a big class this year, I don't think they'll have the money to bring in much next season.
(Although with the transfer portal, it's a lot harder to say what anyone's roster will look like a year or two down the road.)

What I got from the staff is that they expect Camacho to be at 125 next year. Otherwise, that could be a real problem. I haven't been able to connect with Codie Cuerbo for an interview yet, but he was a 113-pounder this year, so it's hard to ask him to step into a D-I lineup at 125 next year.
That's good news, Eric. Thanks. Is there any word yet about where Poulin may be headed?

Priests low ranking has a lot to do with his lack of national event participation. Most of the guys ranked do the full circuit: Fargo, super 32, journeyman, elite 8, Disney duals, etc

Reactions: singregardless
Priests low ranking has a lot to do with his lack of national event participation. Most of the guys ranked do the full circuit: Fargo, super 32, journeyman, elite 8, Disney duals, etc
That says more about the flaws in the ranking system than anything else

Reactions: jctrack and lucac
True but in the rankers defense kind of hard not to reward the guys out in the streets winnings big matches. For example manville who beat Priest is ranked roughly in the top 10 consensus at his weight and I’m sure he is too 50 or so in his class. Priest lost to him in OT by seconds to ride out if my memory serves me right. So he could easily be right there but I have to agree tough to rank him that high without the wins. Manvilles resume is better on paper

He has two losses to Manville this season.

Priest may be the real deal but what are his big wins to deserve a higher ranking? He has a lot of solid to good wins but the two best guys he has wrestled the last 2 years he has lost to.

Yeah, I don’t know much on them. I’m still curious which weights they are planning to go as well as who if any transfers they are looking at for 125?

Going to have to watch some of their matches this weekend now I guess. Seems like a couple of solid depth pickups though at the very least
Not sure about depth, both are top 15-25 guys at their weight and huge improvements over who we'd be starting at 65&84 next year. We should be very good at 165 the next two years with Holden starting, then one of Laffey/Keslar/Pletcher/McKay takes over. Not quite as confident in 184 for now since either Reece or Luca will have to move up. Then Lledo as a solid backup for 74/84.

157 looks to be the biggest competition heading into next year w/ Badgett and Mancini.

Reactions: lucac
Do you think it’s possible that the Heller boys go 157 and 165 and Pitt is still looking for a 184?

Do you think it’s possible that the Heller boys go 157 and 165 and Pitt is still looking for a 184?
Actually yeah, the more I think about it your question is def valid. Two things I will still point out: our depth at 157 (Badgett, Mancini, three freshmen) is much better than 184 (Lledo and he's really a 74 i think), and if the Hellers were just wrestling up last year because they were redshirting and weren't gonna cut weight, then they did REALLY well.

That made a ton of sense to me. If there wasn’t an All American at the weight already might be upset but good thing I don’t have to worry about that!

I’m thinking he should go up haha and yes he did los to one of the hellers. Didn’t he wrestle 182 in HS?

He did wrestle 182 in HS but wrestled 165 in 21 at Purdue. I’m sure 165 again isn’t a huge stretch, but probably more likely he goes 174 wherever he lands

ADVERTISEMENT