ADVERTISEMENT

Panther Challenge Day 1 - Some good video of the players working out today

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
From Pitt:

Link: Day 1 – Panther Challenge

PITTSBURGH – The University of Pittsburgh men’s basketball team opened day 1 of the Panther Challenge with a two-hour workout tour of Oakland. Strength and Conditioning coach Garry Christopher led the Panthers through the strenuous workout designed to test both the mental and physical toughness of the team.

“Today, we made significant strides in the overall development of our team culture and program,” said Christopher. “I liked the effort and communication from our guys throughout the morning. Overall, it was a solid first day and I am looking forward to watching our guys push themselves the rest of the week.”

Beginning just after 6 a.m. at the Petersen Events Center with five 45-pound lifting plates in tow, the team ran to the Cathedral of Learning for bear crawls and hill climbs before venturing over to Schenley Plaza for plate walks and ab work. The physical exertion continued with a jog to Schenley Park where they were greeted with a series of climbs up Flagstaff Hill.

Next up for the Panthers was a steady downhill run past Phipps Conservatory and across the Hot Metal Bridge for 50 burpees with the Monongahela River as the backdrop. With players drenched in sweat and fatigued from carrying 45-pound plates with them, the team made its way back to the Pete with a nearly one-mile run from the river to the top steps of the Petersen Events Center. As employees arrived to start their workday, the basketball team capped off its morning with five-minute wall sits.

PantherVision was alongside the team to collect all the sights and sounds from Monday’s workout. Pitt continues the Panther Challenge Tuesday morning. Follow the team on Twitter and Instagram (@Pitt_MBB) for exclusive coverage.

I generally like what I've heard/read about the S&C coach, but these Challenges he does seem unsafe and potentially counter productive to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT