ADVERTISEMENT

Paris Ford better play WR next year

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I like Pickett, I think he has more of an upside than Dinucci but the WR corps are as bad as I've seen at Pitt, maybe ever. This is a much greater concern to me.

If Ford doesn't move to WR, you are looking at Matthews and Arujo-Lopes being your 2 starters with Henderson as the jet sweep guy since he doesn't participate in the passing game. We heard that that Butler kid was having a good camp and would contribute but he's redshirting.

I feel Paris Ford can help this team more at WR. The offense needs playmakers. Assuming Whitehead leaves, you still have pretty good depth at Safety. Hamlin, Garner, Stocker, Briggs, and Campbell could fight for the 2 positions.

I see Ford as a similar athlete as Tyler Boyd. Neither played WR in HS. Boyd came in, earned a starting job right away and was a pro after 3 seasons. Ford has the spring and summer to work on his craft. I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't a very good WR right away......and pretty disappointed if we waste him at Safety.

I like Pickett, I think he has more of an upside than Dinucci but the WR corps are as bad as I've seen at Pitt, maybe ever. This is a much greater concern to me.

If Ford doesn't move to WR, you are looking at Matthews and Arujo-Lopes being your 2 starters with Henderson as the jet sweep guy since he doesn't participate in the passing game. We heard that that Butler kid was having a good camp and would contribute but he's redshirting.

I feel Paris Ford can help this team more at WR. The offense needs playmakers. Assuming Whitehead leaves, you still have pretty good depth at Safety. Hamlin, Garner, Stocker, Briggs, and Campbell could fight for the 2 positions.

I see Ford as a similar athlete as Tyler Boyd. Neither played WR in HS. Boyd came in, earned a starting job right away and was a pro after 3 seasons. Ford has the spring and summer to work on his craft. I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't a very good WR right away......and pretty disappointed if we waste him at Safety.
Agree

Don't forget about Tre Tipton. He was way ahead of Lopes before his injury.

don't forget FFrench

You are going to be extremely dissapointed. Ford wants to play Safety, and you better believe Narduzzi promised him that when he signed.

Also, don’t be suprised when Hamlin moves back to cb and somebody like a Pinnock moves to Safety.

Don't get me wrong, I actually think it would be best for the team if he played WR. However, I think our HC will play him on defense.

I feel a special talent like Ford would have a greater impact with the ball in his hands. If we had a good WR corps, I'd be more OK with him at Safety but we desperately need offense, especially with a young QB and bad OL

I feel a special talent like Ford would have a greater impact with the ball in his hands. If we had a good WR corps, I'd be more OK with him at Safety but we desperately need offense, especially with a young QB and bad OL
How special ?
He didn’t play a down this year.

Reactions: Jpripper88
You’re also forgetting Ruben Flowers and Michael Smith. Pitt’s WR’s are young. Henderson provides very little in the pass game. I wish he’d move to a hybrid RB.

Flowers is never going to play here. They asked Sherman about him this past week and he was struggling to give a political answer. Flowers is not even in the same stratosphere as Ford.

If Pitt was stacked wit talented recruits, you want Ford to play defense. That isn't the case and your best athletes will make the biggest impact on offense. I'd like to see Ford at receiver like the rest of you, I just don't know if that happens.

I think Ford sticks to safety and makes an instant impact there next year, but that doesn't mean they can't use him in the same capacity that they use Whitehead currently. I believe the receiving corps will be alright with Lopes, Tipton, Ffrench, Matthews & Butler.

I think the wildcard in the passing game will be Charles Reeves. I could honestly see him passing up Clark in the depth chart by the end of next year, and not because Clark isn't good. Receiver deficiencies can be made for if you get your TE's involved in the offense.

I think Ford sticks to safety and makes an instant impact there next year, but that doesn't mean they can't use him in the same capacity that they use Whitehead currently. I believe the receiving corps will be alright with Lopes, Tipton, Ffrench, Matthews & Butler.

I think the wildcard in the passing game will be Charles Reeves. I could honestly see him passing up Clark in the depth chart by the end of next year, and not because Clark isn't good. Receiver deficiencies can be made for if you get your TE's involved in the offense.
But since you mentioned it, Clark isn’t good. He’s a poor to mediocre blocker and a nonfactor in the passing game. He has shown some pretty shaky hands when he has had balls thown to him. Other than that he’s stellar.

But since you mentioned it, Clark isn’t good. He’s a poor to mediocre blocker and a nonfactor in the passing game. He has shown some pretty shaky hands when he has had balls thown to him. Other than that he’s stellar.
Yup. Was expecting more out of him since he was some former 5* bluechip. I guess those haven't worked out well for us this season, between him and Browne :confused:

But I'm very high on Reeves. He's from the same area I lived in for quite a while and he's great at using his size to his advantage. Also pretty good speed and athleticism for someone who's 280+.

Wouldn’t count on Pitts WR deficiencies made up by TEs.
Not even close.

Yup. Was expecting more out of him since he was some former 5* bluechip. I guess those haven't worked out well for us this season, between him and Browne :confused:

But I'm very high on Reeves. He's from the same area I lived in for quite a while and he's great at using his size to his advantage. Also pretty good speed and athleticism for someone who's 280+.
Reeves looks like a beast. Hopefully he’s ready to contribute game 1 next year.

You are going to be extremely dissapointed. Ford wants to play Safety, and you better believe Narduzzi promised him that when he signed.

Also, don’t be suprised when Hamlin moves back to cb and somebody like a Pinnock moves to Safety.
I think Hankins safety is higher at safety and I think fords is at CB.

How often did Watson have the TE involved. This offense does not throw to the TE and when it does who was doing the throwing.

I think the offense takes a big upswing next year. With Pickett at QB and a better group of recievers, it only has an upside. Lopes is good, Tipton is back, Ffrench has looked better as the year goes on, the two Florida kids will be playing, and Reeves will be playing as well.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I think the offense takes a big upswing next year. With Pickett at QB and a better group of recievers, it only has an upside. Lopes is good, Tipton is back, Ffrench has looked better as the year goes on, the two Florida kids will be playing, and Reeves will be playing as well.
As disappointing as weah has been this year, I don't see anyone to replace him. Tipton and Ffrench could be an adequate #2, lopes is a good slot WR. Just don't see that clear #1 anywhere. Matthews I'm not even sure if that guy is even on the roster anymore. I haven't heard his name in months.

Not feelin to optimistic about our WR group in 2018.

Flowers is never going to play here. They asked Sherman about him this past week and he was struggling to give a political answer. Flowers is not even in the same stratosphere as Ford.

Then that’s on the coaches. He was a highly regarded 4 star kid coming out of HS. If they’re struggling to get him better, that’s a BAD sign.

Let's assume whitehead goes to the NFL. Maddox is graduating. There's either the possibility hamlin moves back to corner, if not he's really the only safety we'll have with real talent. Maybe ford gets some snaps on offense, that would be great. I just can not see narduzzi sacrificing the defense by switching him to offense. He's gonna build the defense first and foremost, taking one of our biggest recruits off that defense when he's finally ready to play would be putting a huge hole in that defense.

Reactions: Pitt5593
As disappointing as weah has been this year, I don't see anyone to replace him. Tipton and Ffrench could be an adequate #2, lopes is a good slot WR. Just don't see that clear #1 anywhere. Matthews I'm not even sure if that guy is even on the roster anymore. I haven't heard his name in months.

Not feelin to optimistic about our WR group in 2018.
If they can't even play this year ahead of Weah, Lopes, and Q, they aren't very talented.

That's what I'm worried about.

Coaches prefer experience. It also takes time for some of these kids to learn the nuances of a more complicated offense and be able to block. Its not unreasonable to think that with a year in the system, maturing physically and mentally, playing faster because they know what they are doing, they will be able to contribute next year.

ALso TIpton is coming back. FFrench has played well as well. They really only need one of these guys to step up. Also with improved QB play its not unreasonable to think the offense will be much better next year

Coaches prefer experience. It also takes time for some of these kids to learn the nuances of a more complicated offense and be able to block. Its not unreasonable to think that with a year in the system, maturing physically and mentally, playing faster because they know what they are doing, they will be able to contribute next year.

ALso TIpton is coming back. FFrench has played well as well. They really only need one of these guys to step up. Also with improved QB play its not unreasonable to think the offense will be much better next year
Plenty of players all over the country don't seem to have an issue with it when they are talented. That is especially true when the players ahead of them are, at best, pedestrian.

Why does everyone act like Tre Tipton is a savior to be counted on? He wasn't a great recruit. He hasn't produced. He can't stay healthy. Ffrench has been a below average player and can't beat out the WRs ahead of him who aren't any good.

Plenty of players all over the country don't seem to have an issue with it when they are talented. That is especially true when the players ahead of them are, at best, pedestrian.

Why does everyone act like Tre Tipton is a savior to be counted on? He wasn't a great recruit. He hasn't produced. He can't stay healthy. Ffrench has been a below average player and can't beat out the WRs ahead of him who aren't any good.

I get it. You think this team stinks and duzz should be fahrred...... Many thought Peterman would never have the year he had last year. No one thought Weah would have the year he had last year or even contribute...yes hes been incredibly inconsistent this year. I guess we'll see who's right

I get it. You think this team stinks and duzz should be fahrred...... Many thought Peterman would never have the year he had last year. No one thought Weah would have the year he had last year or even contribute...yes hes been incredibly inconsistent this year. I guess we'll see who's right

He watched too much SEC football and wants Pitt to be like Alabama. He doesn't have realistic expectations.

Take Whitehead for example, we needed him on defense early because we did not have many people that could tackle. Personally, it would have been much better for him to play offense.

As things turned out, I think his career was somewhat disappointing. He made lots of tackles, but he did not seem great in coverage and to me anyway, seemed to miss a ton of assignments.

Let's assume whitehead goes to the NFL. Maddox is graduating. There's either the possibility hamlin moves back to corner, if not he's really the only safety we'll have with real talent. Maybe ford gets some snaps on offense, that would be great. I just can not see narduzzi sacrificing the defense by switching him to offense. He's gonna build the defense first and foremost, taking one of our biggest recruits off that defense when he's finally ready to play would be putting a huge hole in that defense.
I like Jackson. Mathis and Pinnock have had moments. Coleman and Hamlin not so much. Motley has played OK, but I would rather play others ahead of him. I expect freshman Williams to contend for playing time next season.

I like Garner. He is a smart play. He could be more physical and tackle better. Campbell finally saw the field. He is supposed to be a tackling machine. He had 7 against Tech. Briggs is not a Division 1 player. Stocker has not looked good when he has played. I am not impressed with Hamlin either. Miller was moved to LB. We could use some help at safety. I just hope it is not Ford.

We need Ford at WR.

I like Jackson. Mathis and Pinnock have had moments. Coleman and Hamlin not so much. Motley has played OK, but I would rather play others ahead of him. I expect freshman Williams to contend for playing time next season.

I like Garner. He is a smart play. He could be more physical and tackle better. Campbell finally saw the field. He is supposed to be a tackling machine. He had 7 against Tech. Briggs is not a Division 1 player. Stocker has not looked good when he has played. I am not impressed with Hamlin either. Miller was moved to LB. We could use some help at safety. I just hope it is not Ford.

We need Ford at WR.
Jackson will start at corner again obviously, mathis or Coleman along side him with the other being the third corner. Hamlin will play somewhere though, he's a tall, physical guy and all we've ever heard is you need tall, physical d-backs in narduzzi's defense. Receiver is not great but Tipton back next year will help a lot. Matthews should finally start getting involved, I can't really just say he's failed here when they had zero passing game most of this season. I'm not ready to give up on flowers yet either.

I'm in no way disagreeing about ford to wr. I'm all for whatever gets him on the field more and helps us win games. I'm just saying pat narduzzi, a defensive coach, if faced with even a minor hole at safety or a huge one at wide receiver, will not move a big time recruit who was recruited to play safety.

Honestly I thought this year would've been perfect to try him at receiver. Understandable why they don't wanna throw him to the wolves at safety after he missed camp, we needed more threats at receiver this year and an athlete like him I feel could've picked it up quick enough to at least be someone the defense had to worry about.

Trying to assess the WR's in fruitless with the QB play Pitt has gotten this year. Who can really judge how good they are when the QB can't get them the ball when they are open and can't go through his progressions? Lopes is money. Ffrench can get open and make people miss. Flowers and Matthews have good size. Tre Tipton would have started this year. I don't think Pitt has a top receiving corps but I think they certainly have guys that can get the job done with a competent QB. I think Pickett may be that guy.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to take one of the best safety recruits in the country and make him play wide receiver. That's like taking a world-class neurosurgeon, and asking him to be a pediatrician for a year. You want to put kids in a position to succeed, and he's much more likely to succeed at the position he's always played best. On top of that, he's clearly not a future Fulbright scholar, so why make it harder for him and ask him to learn two positions?

It doesn't make a lot of sense to take one of the best safety recruits in the country and make him play wide receiver. That's like taking a world-class neurosurgeon, and asking him to be a pediatrician for a year. You want to put kids in a position to succeed, and he's much more likely to succeed at the position he's always played best. On top of that, he's clearly not a future Fulbright scholar, so why make it harder for him and ask him to learn two positions?

I think your Mensa card must have expired.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT