ADVERTISEMENT

Paris Ford better play WR next year

It doesn't make a lot of sense to take one of the best safety recruits in the country and make him play wide receiver. That's like taking a world-class neurosurgeon, and asking him to be a pediatrician for a year.
is it really like that? Seriously, is it like that in any way, shape or form, AT ALL? Im all for silly analogies, I do it often but this analogy is horrible

Agree as well. Don't expect it to happen but it should. A safety just doesn't have the impact on the game that a WR has in modern college football. Look at whitehead by most accounts he is a pretty good safety but he only impacts a few plays a game.

Agree as well. Don't expect it to happen but it should. A safety just doesn't have the impact on the game that a WR has in modern college football. Look at whitehead by most accounts he is a pretty good safety but he only impacts a few plays a game.
I think this is the biggest factor. You can get away with a decent safety, in this defense doesn't have the same impact as an elite WR or even an Elite CB. If Ford is that special talent, which I believe he is, you want to put him at a position where you can reap the biggest reward.

Also, you have to factor in the depth at the position. I think it goes without saying that you'd rather have an avg safety and a good CB than the other way around, same argument with WR.

typically WR is one spot where a talented FR can come in and play right away. Bryant and Boyd are perfect examples, if your a high level player I would expect them to be able to make a impact quickly. That's not to say that none of those guys will never be capable of being a #1 WR, just its unlikely they are going to be difference makers next year. I see this team as having 4 or 5 guys who are capable 2's and 3's but not number one stud WR. You need a guy like that to allow the other guys one on one coverage and to get open easier. A stud TE helps as well as a good running game.

Reactions: Jpripper88
One of the biggest disappointments of the season was the loss of Aston before the season, then again after seeing very limited time midway through the season. Aston provides an excellent running and passing option in short yardage situations; an area where PITT has really struggled this year. The loss of Aston meant a loss in the blocking, running, and passing game. He was an absolute threat the make the first down/score a TD on every short yardage play. There is little doubt Aston would have been heavily involved in the goal to go situation at the end of the VT game.

There were several reasons why the receivers were so much more productive last year; not only the change in QB. As we saw on several occasions this past weekend (and most notably at the end of the game), the OL has failed to protect the QB. Now, part of this was likely due to Dinucci's inability to progress past the first read and the defense knowing that bringing pressure on every play would likely result in a terrible sack, INT, or Dinucci simply running out of bound for a self-sack.

Fast forward to the game against VT, who has one of the better defenses PITT has faced this season. There were 4 players who recorded 4+ receptions and close or more than 50 yards in the receiving game. The last time PITT had that many players with 4 or more catches during a single game this season...Rice (if that counts).

Dinucci, whether due to the blocking, coverage, etc. was unable to check down off of the primary receiver. This left multiple plays on the field where a man was running wide open for at least a first down. Worse, Dinucci would stick with the primary receiver and throw late into double coverage. Thankfully for him, the defenders were mostly unable to capitalize on these mistakes.

In fairness to this WR group (save for the terrible drops from Weah which continue to occur at the absolute worst times), they haven't been provided with a real opportunity to make plays for the majority of this year. With Pickett at the wheel, you can see him progressing through available options if the primary target is covered. Pickett will certainly make some mistakes, but we now have some data pointing in the right direction as it related to the passing game against solid competition.

This week is going to be a huge test in the development of Pickett. I don't even want to see how many gold chains will be handed out if Dinucci sees significant playing time.

I get it. You think this team stinks and duzz should be fahrred...... Many thought Peterman would never have the year he had last year. No one thought Weah would have the year he had last year or even contribute...yes hes been incredibly inconsistent this year. I guess we'll see who's right
I definitely do not believe HCPN should be fired. The team does stink. We are going to end the year 4-8.

We will see who is right about what? Players who are as talented as some are making them out to be should be capable of playing immediately and certainly in their 2nd years behind a group of starting WRs who are far below average.

He watched too much SEC football and wants Pitt to be like Alabama. He doesn't have realistic expectations.
Pitt has no chance to be like Alabama, but we should be able to make a bowl every year and win 8+ games most of the time, while sometimes winning 9 or 10 when things line up right. Winning 8 games is having an average P5 season. A coach who can't do that, is not a good coach.

Trying to assess the WR's in fruitless with the QB play Pitt has gotten this year. Who can really judge how good they are when the QB can't get them the ball when they are open and can't go through his progressions? Lopes is money. Ffrench can get open and make people miss. Flowers and Matthews have good size. Tre Tipton would have started this year. I don't think Pitt has a top receiving corps but I think they certainly have guys that can get the job done with a competent QB. I think Pickett may be that guy.
We had a very good QB last year and none of them were very good. Weah was a one trick pony. Lopes is extremely limited, as is Ffrench. Just because these guys are playing for us, doesn't mean they are good. Lopes and Ffrench would be 5th and 6th WRs for many P5 teams. Weah would be employed to run flys and nothing else. For many teams, he probably wouldn't even get that chance much.

Bingo.

How many "big plays" has Whitehead made? This is one of the main reason I say that an elite talent has to play offense......or maybe CB I can see but not Safety.

We had a very good QB last year and none of them were very good. Weah was a one trick pony. Lopes is extremely limited, as is Ffrench. Just because these guys are playing for us, doesn't mean they are good. Lopes and Ffrench would be 5th and 6th WRs for many P5 teams. Weah would be employed to run flys and nothing else. For many teams, he probably wouldn't even get that chance much.
Lopes runs great routes and has very good hands. He is a prototypical slot receiver. He's quick out of his cuts and can go in traffic and make plays.

Weah had 900 yds and 10 TD's last year. He averaged over 24 yds a catch, best in the ACC and second nationally. He can be very productive with a QB who can deliver the ball.

All your other hypothetical put downs of the Pitt players are unknown and unknowable...although you certainly think you have it all figured out.

Lopes runs great routes and has very good hands. He is a prototypical slot receiver. He's quick out of his cuts and can go in traffic and make plays.

Weah had 900 yds and 10 TD's last year. He averaged over 24 yds a catch, best in the ACC and second nationally. He can be very productive with a QB who can deliver the ball.

All your other hypothetical put downs of the Pitt players are unknown and unknowable...although you certainly think you have it all figured out.

Lopes and Ffrench are solid 3rd WR types of guys. If you had a tyler boyd or Bryant along with those guys the WR corps would be good. But put 2 of those types in the game and they will struggle to get open consistently. You need that one stud to open it up for the average guys. Thats the point many are making, it doesn't appear that Pitt has that guy on the roster. Even as true FR fitz,byrant and Boyd were very good WR, chances are if there was someone with that type of talent they would be playing not stuck behind the average guys. Ford might be that type of talent and if he is he would have a massive impact on the whole offense. I would personally take a AA WR on this team for next year over a AA safety as I believe that would have more impact on Pitt winning

Lopes and Ffrench are solid 3rd WR types of guys. If you had a tyler boyd or Bryant along with those guys the WR corps would be good. But put 2 of those types in the game and they will struggle to get open consistently. You need that one stud to open it up for the average guys. Thats the point many are making, it doesn't appear that Pitt has that guy on the roster. Even as true FR fitz,byrant and Boyd were very good WR, chances are if there was someone with that type of talent they would be playing not stuck behind the average guys. Ford might be that type of talent and if he is he would have a massive impact on the whole offense. I would personally take a AA WR on this team for next year over a AA safety as I believe that would have more impact on Pitt winning

Yea, Lopes and/or Ffrench are good slot guys.

If Ford can be Boyd, and I think he can, if we can find a solid #2, you have a pretty good WR core all of a sudden.

Nothing is hypothetical.

Lopes is a solid route runner with good hands. He isn't fast. He isn't quick. He doesn't have any physical advantages. He is certainly not "a prototypical slot receiver." Do you know what "prototypical" means? You are saying he is the model slot receiver, which others should be based on. That is insane.

Yes, Weah had a good year last year where he went deep and caught a lot of balls. He dropped a lot, too. That is all he can do. He isn't a very good WR. For most schools that is all they would ask him to do and MOST P5 schools have a player just like that, so at many places he wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to do that. We had nothing so he did get that shot at Pitt. This year the QBs were worse and he dropped the opportunities he did have. He isn't a very good player.

Ffrench is pedestrian, as well.

What did you think was hypothetical? You (and others) make Tre Tipton out to be a savior and huge loss. He wasn't a big time recruit/HS player. He has 12 career catches at Pitt going into his 4th year. He can't stay healthy or contribute much when he is, despite a very suspect WR corps. Flowers and Matthews can't get on the field or make plays, despite a very suspect WR corps. I'm dealing in facts and basing my expectations on what is real. You are putting forth the hypotheticals with nothing but hope.

If Lopes and French were our 4th and 5th WRs and even the #3 in a pinch, but behind 2 legitimate WRs? Ok, that isn't great, but you can live with that. The fact they are essentially the #2 and #3 and really asked to do more than that, because Weah is so limited, is really a noticeable deficiency. Honestly, for this to be a good WR corps we would need two legitimate starting WRs and then Weah would be your #3 situational WR and 1 of Lopes, Tipton, Ffrench as your #4 who plays in place of Weah if your legitimate starters can stretch the field and you need more underneath execution from the slot. We are not even remotely close to having those #1 or #2 WRs.

Nothing is hypothetical.

Lopes is a solid route runner with good hands. He isn't fast. He isn't quick. He doesn't have any physical advantages. He is certainly not "a prototypical slot receiver." Do you know what "prototypical" means? You are saying he is the model slot receiver, which others should be based on. That is insane.

Yes, Weah had a good year last year where he went deep and caught a lot of balls. He dropped a lot, too. That is all he can do. He isn't a very good WR. For most schools that is all they would ask him to do and MOST P5 schools have a player just like that, so at many places he wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to do that. We had nothing so he did get that shot at Pitt. This year the QBs were worse and he dropped the opportunities he did have. He isn't a very good player.

Ffrench is pedestrian, as well.

What did you think was hypothetical? You (and others) make Tre Tipton out to be a savior and huge loss. He wasn't a big time recruit/HS player. He has 12 career catches at Pitt going into his 4th year. He can't stay healthy or contribute much when he is, despite a very suspect WR corps. Flowers and Matthews can't get on the field or make plays, despite a very suspect WR corps. I'm dealing in facts and basing my expectations on what is real. You are putting forth the hypotheticals with nothing but hope.

If Lopes and French were our 4th and 5th WRs and even the #3 in a pinch, but behind 2 legitimate WRs? Ok, that isn't great, but you can live with that. The fact they are essentially the #2 and #3 and really asked to do more than that, because Weah is so limited, is really a noticeable deficiency. Honestly, for this to be a good WR corps we would need two legitimate starting WRs and then Weah would be your #3 situational WR and 1 of Lopes, Tipton, Ffrench as your #4 who plays in place of Weah if your legitimate starters can stretch the field and you need more underneath execution from the slot. We are not even remotely close to having those #1 or #2 WRs.
You appear to impress yourself with your opinions. You seem to think your thoughts are facts. They're not. They're just one person's opinions.

ADVERTISEMENT