ADVERTISEMENT

Paris Ford....punt return stat...blow your mind....

cpc247

Redshirt
Jun 26, 2013
1 attempt for -1 yards

John Vardzel 5 attempts for 7 yards.... how does this happen.... 4/5 Ford 1 chance walk on 5...not good....

He was shaky as a PR. Catching the ball and fumbling at your 5 against Duke caused that game to change.
I get that but your not going to give him rep 2 because of it....an ALL ACC athlete...lol I don't think I can agree

Theres a reason Fair Catch Tim Stein existed. He might not have returned many punts, but he didnt turn it over. While Ford might be electric, his fumble almost cost the game. (To be fair his play on the defensive side before getting ejected had a ton to do with pitt ultimately winning.)

Vardzel let too many punts hit the ground and roll. That probably cost us one game, when he let a short punt roll 25 yards. The thing about Stein and later Yogi Roth is that they never let the ball roll. They caught everything.

Five years in and this is the best that we can put out on the field for returning punts? Playing not to lose.

Same philosophy goes with kick returner. I knew that once SJL ran sideways on one of his KR vs BC that Narduzzi would have him fair catch the next one. Sorry, but we have to better than this, especially if we are going to continue to play in tight games and struggle to score.

Special teams used to be special for PN but not anymore. Remember when they actually helped us win a few games? Now, he lives in his fears.

Vardzel let too many punts hit the ground and roll. That probably cost us one game, when he let a short punt roll 25 yards. The thing about Stein and later Yogi Roth is that they never let the ball roll. They caught everything.
Thats the most important thing with punt returns. A good punt returner can save more yards by catching the ball than he can get returning it. Kickoffs are different much bigger chance of getting a long return.

I get that but your not going to give him rep 2 because of it....an ALL ACC athlete...lol I don't think I can agree
What does being an “all-ACC athlete” have to do with being a capable punt returner?

Second question-you do realize that the punt returner on Saturdays is determined by what happens in practice every day, right? Obviously the coaches don’t have confidence that Ford can do the job based on what he has shown in practice.

What does being an “all-ACC athlete” have to do with being a capable punt returner?

Second question-you do realize that the punt returner on Saturdays is determined by what happens in practice every day, right? Obviously the coaches don’t have confidence that Ford can do the job based on what he has shown in practice.

They must have some confidence in him. He played every snap on defense and 80 some tackles and our only defense TD of the year. I think the staff got paranoid and to conservative on special teams and it took away some of the play making ability out of fear.

Reactions: jctrack
They must have some confidence in him. He played every snap on defense and 80 some tackles and our only defense TD of the year. I think the staff got paranoid and to conservative on special teams and it took away some of the play making ability out of fear.
Ffrench was back there until he got hurt.

He was shaky as a PR. Catching the ball and fumbling at your 5 against Duke caused that game to change.
It was a bad play by Ford, no doubt. But it was also a bad move by the coaches to put him into the game in that situation. It was his first attempt of the season, and he was inside his own 10 to receive the kick. Whoever was back to return that punt should have let it hit, or at least called for a fair catch. No reason to use Ford in that situation.

Reactions: Parkview57
He's a great safety. Why do you think that translates into being a great punt returner?

there's a reason it's a specialty. The most important aspect of the job is to successfully field the punt which is a very difficult thing to do. Obviously the coaches who run practice and special teams drills every day don't trust him with that job based on his performance in practice. It's very simple.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT