ADVERTISEMENT

Paris Johnson

President Stache

Heisman Candidate
Dec 4, 2010
Anyone see him standing next to Aaron Donald? Either Aaron was standing in a hole, or Paris Johnson is one big dude.

I like our chances with him.

Reactions: JokePa
I don't agree about him being a Pitt lock. With his dad on the Pitt payroll I give Pitt a 25% chance at best. My guess is he'll want to be playing in sold out big stadiums week in and week out.

Let's hope that attendance is increased with the talent increase. Tough schedule, and only six home games this year, but with Pickett and a better defense, fans should be more excited and interested. And, not every player puts all their eggs into attendance baskets. There are other factors that some consider important and a higher priority. If his father thinks the program, the academics, and the city are worth it, then maybe Paris will too.

Let's hope that attendance is increased with the talent increase. Tough schedule, and only six home games this year, but with Pickett and a better defense, fans should be more excited and interested. And, not every player puts all their eggs into attendance baskets. There are other factors that some consider important and a higher priority. If his father thinks the program, the academics, and the city are worth it, then maybe Paris will too.
There are other factors that some consider important... having guys like Donald and Fitzgerald and McCoy around on occasion does not hurt in this regard. Star pedigree often trumps attendance numbers...

Reactions: DiehardPanther
There are other factors that some consider important... having guys like Donald and Fitzgerald and McCoy around on occasion does not hurt in this regard. Star pedigree often trumps attendance numbers...

no.....it doesnt.

Every school Paris Johnson is giving serious consideration to have numerous players in the league.

What they dont have is empty seats on Saturday.

It is the number 1 issue holding back Pitt football regardless of those fans that refuse to admit this.

no.....it doesnt.

Every school Paris Johnson is giving serious consideration to have numerous players in the league.

It is the number 1 issue holding back Pitt football regardless of those fans that refuse to admit this.

I think it is AN issue... but it is what it is. Pitt isnt going to get 100,000 fans every game, our school just isnt big enough. We will get more this year in attendance for sure.

I still think the number one reason a kid pics a school is because he thinks that school gives him the best chance to get to the pros, if that isnt the reason, then the kid is dumb.

I think it is AN issue... but it is what it is. Pitt isnt going to get 100,000 fans every game, our school just isnt big enough. We will get more this year in attendance for sure.

I still think the number one reason a kid pics a school is because he thinks that school gives him the best chance to get to the pros, if that isnt the reason, then the kid is dumb.
...and there are about 10 schools that are considered elite in sending kids to the NFL. Pitt isn't one of them. Pitt is in the next category with 15-20 other schools. It's not like Pitt is an 11/10 in chance to the NFL to make up for the 6/10 in game day atmosphere.

Reactions: Jpripper88
On volume that's probably right but few can match Pitt's star power in the NFL.

...and there are about 10 schools that are considered elite in sending kids to the NFL. Pitt isn't one of them. Pitt is in the next category with 15-20 other schools. It's not like Pitt is an 11/10 in chance to the NFL to make up for the 6/10 in game day atmosphere.

On volume that's probably right but few can match Pitt's star power in the NFL.

Yeah, and guess how many of those players were coached by the current staff....Pitt has had some elite talent come through the program, but let's not act as Pitt is some elite NFL pipeline. This staff has had 7 players drafted in 3 classes.

ACC Teams in NFL Draft over the past 3 years.

Clemson - 20
Miami - 18
FSU - 17
Lousiville - 13
VTech - 8
Boston College - 7
Pitt - 7
GTech - 6
NC State - 6
UNC - 6
Virginia - 3
Duke - 2
Wake Forest - 2
Syracuse - 1

Reactions: HunterHemsley
I guess you are missing the point because you are changing the topic. The point was the advantages of having the best players at their positions as alumni. If you want counter that XYZ college had more total players drafted- that's great but no-one is disputing that.

Yeah, and guess how many of those players were coached by the current staff....Pitt has had some elite talent come through the program, but let's not act as Pitt is some elite NFL pipeline. This staff has had 7 players drafted in 3 classes.

Clemson - 20
Miami - 18
FSU - 17
Lousiville - 13
VTech - 8
Boston College - 7
Pitt - 7
GTech - 6
NC State - 6
UNC - 6
Virginia - 3
Duke - 2
Wake Forest - 2
Syracuse - 1

No, my point is that Pitt is elite in making top NFLers. I believe we were rated number one by PFF. By we, I mean Pitt by the way.

Pitt even had a ton of talking heads after football ends in the nfl too. I would think near the top of any school around.

no.....it doesnt.

no.....it doesn't..(cept for Miami of course--lots of empty seats down there but lots of NFL alumni presence pulling in kids)...then there is no hope for Pitt then ever. ever..Pitt never has and never will have even better than average attendance...there, I admitted it and always have admitted it. I can admit that I will never travel to Pluto but that does not get me there as that will never happen.

I don't agree about him being a Pitt lock. With his dad on the Pitt payroll I give Pitt a 25% chance at best. My guess is he'll want to be playing in sold out big stadiums week in and week out.
Never a lock but your surmising Paris wants to play in a sold out stadium as his main reason to not coming is pretty lame. But keep up your positiveness and hope that Pitt won’t succeed in recruiting.

Eh. There's so many schools that will do that though. You're basically splitting hairs among a certain tier of schools.
Kids pick by proximity and recruiter. Kids aren't flocking half away across the country simply because USC puts kids in the NFL. The elite kids Cali kids stay west because USC is the local power with elite recruiters, and that's their home. Those kids then end up in the NFL.
Where I think you do see the NFL become a major factor is with a specific position. Jimbo Fischer with QBs. Miami with TEs. UGA with RBs. You see these teams pull players from away from their backyard specifically because those players comment about the NFL pipeline at the position those schools have. So they are willing to leave the local schools to go further away to get groomed for the NFL at that position.

Eh. There's so many schools that will do that though. You're basically splitting hairs among a certain tier of schools.
Kids pick by proximity and recruiter. Kids aren't flocking half away across the country simply because USC puts kids in the NFL. The elite kids Cali kids stay west because USC is the local power with elite recruiters, and that's their home. Those kids then end up in the NFL.
Where I think you do see the NFL become a major factor is with a specific position. Jimbo Fischer with QBs. Miami with TEs. UGA with RBs. You see these teams pull players from away from their backyard specifically because those players comment about the NFL pipeline at the position those schools have. So they are willing to leave the local schools to go further away to get groomed for the NFL at that position.

Well, that is my point, I said this earlier.

My point is it isnt because of sold out games and atmosphere. It may be a nice to have, but that is just icing on the cake, as it should be.

Would you choose a school based on where your dad worked if your were a recruit?

So you don't think the fact that his dad is currently employed at PITT plays a factor? This is college football and coaches hire parents all of the time to land kids. It is what it is. This is a layup for Narduzzi, and PITT fans are already making excuses if he misses.

Reactions: cashisking884
So you don't think the fact that his dad is currently employed at PITT plays a factor? This is college football and coaches hire parents all of the time to land kids. It is what it is. This is a layup for Narduzzi, and PITT fans are already making excuses if he misses.
How do u know his dad will still be coaching here in 2 years?

Clemson - 20
Miami - 18
FSU - 17
Lousiville - 13
VTech - 8
Boston College - 7
Pitt - 7
GTech - 6
NC State - 6
UNC - 6
Virginia - 3
Duke - 2
Wake Forest - 2
Syracuse - 1
So then, it's even more impressive that Pitt keeps churning out NFL stars regardless of who the coach is.

By all means though, keep running down "your team". It's a peculiar habit of many Pitt "fans". They hide their chronic negativity behind the facade of being a "realist"

So then, it's even more impressive that Pitt keeps churning out NFL stars regardless of who the coach is.

By all means though, keep running down "your team". It's a peculiar habit of many Pitt "fans". They hide their chronic negativity behind the facade of being a "realist"
Yep, you got me. Let me know the next time the Cathedral is running tackling drills.

Don’t see it actually.....
We practice next to the Sunday guys...have pros in goodly numbers including several who are or were recently the best at their positions, yet I don’t see a bounce at all in recruiting.

Maybe it’s there ???

Reactions: cashisking884
Having guys that rate "elite" at their position in the NFL can't hurt. It's better than not having anything. And I'm sure the right salesmen can use it to make some level of difference.
But the difference between us and those other teams listed with us is when you turn on Sunday Night Football and Al Michaels says, "And now lets introduce the Pittsburgh defense," or whatever team, you're going to hear a lot of "Ryan Shazier...THE Ohio State." "...Roll Tide." You're going to hear a lot of Michaels say during the game, "...third year man out of LSU." Etc.
To the extent there is an "NFL bump," and I think it's more of a position bump than anything, but to the extent there is a general one, it's going to be from high school players sitting down to watch football on Sunday and just seeing an over saturation of particular colleges. Constantly seeing players drafted in the early rounds.

0% chance we get him. Ya I said it. What has HCPN proved to anyone that he could get a 5 star OT? Especially one from B1G country.

Having guys that rate "elite" at their position in the NFL can't hurt. It's better than not having anything. And I'm sure the right salesmen can use it to make some level of difference.
But the difference between us and those other teams listed with us is when you turn on Sunday Night Football and Al Michaels says, "And now lets introduce the Pittsburgh defense," or whatever team, you're going to hear a lot of "Ryan Shazier...THE Ohio State." "...Roll Tide." You're going to hear a lot of Michaels say during the game, "...third year man out of LSU." Etc.
To the extent there is an "NFL bump," and I think it's more of a position bump than anything, but to the extent there is a general one, it's going to be from high school players sitting down to watch football on Sunday and just seeing an over saturation of particular colleges. Constantly seeing players drafted in the early rounds.

Absolutely, Pitt and Ohio State are tied for the top players in the NFL currently. I definitely think we get that NFL bump.

I would think one reason he dad is working here is cause they like Pitt. It isnt a slam dunk, but I would think we will be a finalist, and the NFL bump certainly helps for sure! Good point.

He is a pitt lock.

I agree. Look at a guy like Aaron Donald. Think of how good he would have been or how much more money he would have made in the NFL if more people came to his games in college. The key to NFL success is clearly college football attendance

no.....it doesnt.

It won't get better even if we win 10 games a year...

Attendance is has been dropping around the ncaa for years and will continue to do so.

Soon there will only be like 10-20 teams that sell out all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT