ADVERTISEMENT

Parker Stewart to UT-Martin

You're not just taking a 6'5 kid who can shoot, you're taking a 6'5 kid who can't do anything beside shoot. Can't play defense, poor ballhandler, definitely a sub-D1 player in terms of athleticism, with the last point serving to mitigate his one strength since he isn't athletic enough to create his own shot with any regularity. In other words, I think you're missing a large part of the equation here. If you're bringing in Stewart to sit out for a year, are you really getting your money's worth? I think it's pretty clear that he didn't have much D1 interest if he ended up at UT-Martin. I can't say that he didn't have any, but he sure as hell wasn't getting high major offers.

That's patently false (that he didn't have much D1 interest). Nevada, Maryland, Oregon, Nebraska, and KState all wanted him (each of those schools visited Parker directly in PIttsburgh). And he said from the outset that playing for his dad was possible--for personal, not basketball, reasons. Why do we have to disparage a kid just because he did something we wouldn't do? He was a good player who had a bright future here, and we haven't replaced him, unfortunately. Have we recruited better athletes? Yes. Better shooters? Not yet.

These are terrible examples though because those two are classic examples of why not to choose family over your future. Both of them sacrificed good coaching and a possible pro career for their dads and paid the price.

I’m sure there are exceptions to this. Allan Houston playing for his dad worked out well for him. I’d say Bryce Alford got as much as he could out of his ability and playing with his dad enhanced that.

Didn’t really go so well for Cullen Neal at New Mexico though, I think there were death threads involved at some point.

That's patently false (that he didn't have much D1 interest). Nevada, Maryland, Oregon, Nebraska, and KState all wanted him (each of those schools visited Parker directly in PIttsburgh). And he said from the outset that playing for his dad was possible--for personal, not basketball, reasons. Why do we have to disparage a kid just because he did something we wouldn't do? He was a good player who had a bright future here, and we haven't replaced him, unfortunately. Have we recruited better athletes? Yes. Better shooters? Not yet.

Nevada is literally over their scholarship limit if the Martin twins come back. They might have inquired about Stewart at one point given how many transfers they took, but there's zero chance that an offer was still on the table at any point near when Stewart made his decision.

I disagree that he had a bright future here, but that's beside the point because he's not here any more. You have absolutely no idea if we've recruited better shooters or not just like you have no idea how many of those schools would have actually taken him. Weird how you're so dedicated to pumping up a player who gave us one mediocre year.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Nevada is literally over their scholarship limit if the Martin twins come back. They might have inquired about Stewart at one point given how many transfers they took, but there's zero chance that an offer was still on the table at any point near when Stewart made his decision.

I disagree that he had a bright future here, but that's beside the point because he's not here any more. You have absolutely no idea if we've recruited better shooters or not just like you have no idea how many of those schools would have actually taken him. Weird how you're so dedicated to pumping up a player who gave us one mediocre year.

Correct about Nevada and their schollie limit, heard it discussed on the radio this week. Apparently they are assuming all 3 of their early entrants will be back. Personally I’m not so sure about Caroline, he wasn’t really a candidate to be drafted, I’m thinking he just wants to start his pro career wherever it happens to be.

When did I say Nevada was still on the table when he made his decision? Nevada wanted him, but he quickly turned them down (this was nearly two months ago). Oregon, too, He didn't want to go that far from home. ... I was responding to a poster who wrote that "it was clear" that he had "little D1 interest" if he went to UTM. If you don't have inside info, don't make things up. He had firm offers from multiple teams who've played in the Sweet 16, Elite 8, and Final Four the past two years. He spurned the interest of several of those suitors, for reasons only he understands. If you don't think they were legitimate offers, that's your prerogative. But it doesn't mean you're right.

Also, I'm not going to argue with you re: shooters on our roster. If you can't do enough of your own research to understand that we haven't recruited anyone who's capable of shooting 40%+ from 3 in ACC play this coming fall, then nothing I tell you is going to persuade you.

I wanted Parker Stewart to stay because he would have helped our program. I wanted him to stay for the same reason Jeff Capel wanted him to stay: He's a good player who's going to continue to get better. He would have helped us this fall and for the subsequent two seasons.

I'm not cheerleading for the kid. He's gone. But neither should people be bashing or making fun of him because he made a personal decision that was in his best interest. Those yelling, "See, Parker going to UTM and playing for his dad proves it! He wasn't very good. He's not a P5 player," aren't actually prove that he wasn't an ACC-level player, they're just proving that they're petty and small.

Reactions: FireballZ
Good move for him I think. He's not going to play in the NBA but maybe if he can be a 17-18 PPG guy for his dad and help lead them to an NCAAT, he can help his dad get a bigger job and that's more money for the family. Seems like a shy, reserved, different kind of kid so playing for his dad makes sense. Plus, he doesn't have to sit out and if his dad were fired, he could transfer up without sitting out
I didn't hear that, why doesn't he have to sit out this year?

When did I say Nevada was still on the table when he made his decision? Nevada wanted him, but he quickly turned them down (this was nearly two months ago). Oregon, too, He didn't want to go that far from home. ... I was responding to a poster who wrote that "it was clear" that he had "little D1 interest" if he went to UTM. If you don't have inside info, don't make things up. He had firm offers from multiple teams who've played in the Sweet 16, Elite 8, and Final Four the past two years. He spurned the interest of several of those suitors, for reasons only he understands. If you don't think they were legitimate offers, that's your prerogative. But it doesn't mean you're right.

Also, I'm not going to argue with you re: shooters on our roster. If you can't do enough of your own research to understand that we haven't recruited anyone who's capable of shooting 40%+ from 3 in ACC play this coming fall, then nothing I tell you is going to persuade you.

I wanted Parker Stewart to stay because he would have helped our program. I wanted him to stay for the same reason Jeff Capel wanted him to stay: He's a good player who's going to continue to get better. He would have helped us this fall and for the subsequent two seasons.

I'm not cheerleading for the kid. He's gone. But neither should people be bashing or making fun of him because he made a personal decision that was in his best interest. Those yelling, "See, Parker going to UTM and playing for his dad proves it! He wasn't very good. He's not a P5 player," aren't actually prove that he wasn't an ACC-level player, they're just proving that they're petty and small.
He is certainly a P5 player, but he did not have many offers. I'd have been happy to see him stay, but he didn't give a crap about Pitt. He didn't have the offers you claim. He had a few offers (likely only really KSU and Maryland in the end) and none from great schools. It is interesting you said he turned Nevada down months ago because they were too far from home, but from his own statements considered Oregon and had them in his final 4.

Literally your entire time on this site has been to cheerlead for Stallings, Cage, and their recruits. Never Pitt.

I like PS and wish him well. You do realize that his limitations won't be as visible in his new conference and he could improve all areas of his game.

Correct about Nevada and their schollie limit, heard it discussed on the radio this week. Apparently they are assuming all 3 of their early entrants will be back. Personally I’m not so sure about Caroline, he wasn’t really a candidate to be drafted, I’m thinking he just wants to start his pro career wherever it happens to be.
Could be, but if all 3 come back, it would be interesting to see what happens. If they can keep all their rotation guys and all the incoming talent, they are going to be very, very good.

He is certainly a P5 player, but he did not have many offers. I'd have been happy to see him stay, but he didn't give a crap about Pitt. He didn't have the offers you claim. He had a few offers (likely only really KSU and Maryland in the end) and none from great schools. It is interesting you said he turned Nevada down months ago because they were too far from home, but from his own statements considered Oregon and had them in his final 4.

Literally your entire time on this site has been to cheerlead for Stallings, Cage, and their recruits. Never Pitt.

That's what I don't understand. This guy says that unless you have inside information, don't say anything. Yet he has no more inside information that any of us have but he continues to comment on these things. Maybe 1 or 2 guys on the pay board have what can be considered "inside" information. The rest are just speculating and rumors. But we all have a right to voice our opinions and speculate. That's what's fun.

And I also don't understand how anyone with a brain could ever be a cheerleader for Stallings, Cage or their recruits. If there is such an animal out there, he or she should be put out of their misery. That has to be a miserable existence.

Why does everybody forget that defense is half of the game and Stewart gave up more points than he scored? Same goes for Carr. There's a reason we lost to everyone by an average of 20+ points and were 0-19 in the ACC.

If both of them learned to play defense, they might be serviceable in the ACC or in P6 college basketball. But at this time, they have a lot of work to do to get there.
When is the last time Pitt had a backcourt combo that didn’t give up more than they score most games?

Knight and Page?

These guys are freshmen. Very few true freshmen-maybe 10 or 12 a year—are ready to step right into P6 basketball and fit right in. They have a lot of basketball ahead of them. They will get better, most likely considerably better. And unless they have character issues that we don’t know about, Pitt would be better off with them than without them in both the short and long haul, there really is no legitimate question about that. Until this program is able to bring in solid players and retain them for 3-4 years, it’s not going to go anywhere. Scouring the country every year for marginal grad transfers and last minute P6 recruiting scraps to fill holes isn’t going to cut it. Things are looking up, but keeping the best two players off last year’s team would have helped for sure. Hard to believe anyone can even think otherwise, but the Lair never fails to amaze.

And for the record, I’m not in any way faulting Capel for not being able to retain them-these things come with the territory with coaching changes.

Reactions: FireballZ
And I also don't understand how anyone with a brain could ever be a cheerleader for Stallings, Cage or their recruits. If there is such an animal out there, he or she should be put out of their misery. That has to be a miserable existence.
Why would any adult , Panther fan or not openly root against a young kid trying to live out their dreams ?
Just because JD didn’t recruit these kids (and that’s what they are )
what does that say about you and your constant ridiculing of them . Sad very sad .

It’s fairly simple, the actual first year results pretty much say we haven’t recruited a better shooter, at least none that have ever come here in a long time if ever.

HoopsGuy is definitely correct on one thing, he just says it too politely. It is warped how much bad some of you are so intent on disparaging a guy that came to Pitt and had A more than decent first season under what had to be trying circumstances.

I have to keep reminding myself where I am. This is the free board and many posters are just here to stir the pot and act like they have inside information, which they don't.

These are terrible examples though because those two are classic examples of why not to choose family over your future. Both of them sacrificed good coaching and a possible pro career for their dads and paid the price.
They were offered as examples of guys who chose to play for their dads to help save their dads’ jobs-nothing more. They are textbook examples of that.

Ray McCallum played to his potential at U of Detroit, was Horizon league player of the year and an early second round pick, so I don’t think he cost himself anything career-wise by playing for daddy.

Ziegler never had it, he was a severely overrated high school player-a wing who can’t shoot-and lacked work ethic to boot.

Bottom line is there’s a lot of bald-faced ignorance on this board. That’s what makes it fun.

It’s fairly simple, the actual first year results pretty much say we haven’t recruited a better shooter, at least none that have ever come here in a long time if ever.

HoopsGuy is definitely correct on one thing, he just says it too politely. It is warped how much bad some of you are so intent on disparaging a guy that came to Pitt and had A more than decent first season under what had to be trying circumstances.

Evaluating him honestly is being disparaging? Well yeah, I guess that's bound to happen when you're discussing players from an 0-19 ACC team.

Reactions: Jpripper88

I don't think anyone is cheering against him. I certainly won't cheer for him and I think hoopsguy72 is hilarious in his cheerleading and then is constantly wrong in his "inside" information, but that doesn't mean he has been disparaged. He is a limited player with limited upside and was going to have few options at the P6 level because of the fact he has to sit a year and already wasted a year at Pitt. I said that from the beginning. That is why he ended up with 2 P6 choices and his Dad at UTM. It was predictable, but PittWhitt and hoopsguy72 tried to say everyone would want him.

Reactions: below0w
Why would any adult , Panther fan or not openly root against a young kid trying to live out their dreams ?
Just because JD didn’t recruit these kids (and that’s what they are )
what does that say about you and your constant ridiculing of them . Sad very sad .
A large faction of the board cheered against a kid who was a big contributor, graduated from Pitt, and went to a much better program, after Pitt submarined their program. I don't see people rooting against Stewart. Most aren't going to cheer for him, for the same reason others are saying he shouldn't have loyalty to Pitt. He doesn't care about Pitt. Why should they cheer for him? He was/is obviously an immature kid being lead by his father and told to go where his Dad wants him to go with both acting petulant along the way.

I'd certainly rather have Stewart's contribution, but I can also see the reasoning behind other folks saying it isn't much of a loss when you consider his very limited upside and his Dad's involvement.

A large faction of the board cheered against a kid who was a big contributor, graduated from Pitt, and went to a much better program, after Pitt submarined their program. I don't see people rooting against Stewart. Most aren't going to cheer for him, for the same reason others are saying he shouldn't have loyalty to Pitt. He doesn't care about Pitt. Why should they cheer for him? He was/is obviously an immature kid being lead by his father and told to go where his Dad wants him to go with both acting petulant along the way.

I'd certainly rather have Stewart's contribution, but I can also see the reasoning behind other folks saying it isn't much of a loss when you consider his very limited upside and his Dad's involvement.
I don’t expect anyone to be a cheerleader for anyone who decides it’s in their best interest to leave Pitt , but anyone constantly going out of their way to belittle them is a bit much .
I can’t root for Cam , he left Pitt for dead with his decision to leave , but I’m going to constantly trash him .

I don’t expect anyone to be a cheerleader for anyone who decides it’s in their best interest to leave Pitt , but anyone constantly going out of their way to belittle them is a bit much .
I can’t root for Cam , he left Pitt for dead with his decision to leave , but I’m going to constantly trash him .
No one is trashing Stewart. The same things were said about him during his time at Pitt and this type of transfer recruitment was predicted by many. He is a limited player and he had limited transfer options because of that and his eligibility restrictions.

No one is trashing Stewart. The same things were said about him during his time at Pitt and this type of transfer recruitment was predicted by many. He is a limited player and he had limited transfer options because of that and his eligibility restrictions.
I believe he will prove you wrong , the kid has a very valuable skill and will be a fine college player .

I believe he will prove you wrong , the kid has a very valuable skill and will be a fine college player .
Will prove me wrong with what? He is going to UTM. He proved me (and most on here) right already. I expect he will start, play heavy minutes, and put up very good shooting numbers. He won't play good competition. If he went to a decent P5 team he would have been a rotation player, who would have been valuable as a shooter. He didn't have much room to grow because he couldn't create, defend, or ball handle, but that doesn't mean he didn't have any value. I'd be very happy to have a player of his ability as an off the bench wing player.

Will prove me wrong with what? He is going to UTM. He proved me (and most on here) right already. I expect he will start, play heavy minutes, and put up very good shooting numbers. He won't play good competition. If he went to a decent P5 team he would have been a rotation player, who would have been valuable as a shooter. He didn't have much room to grow because he couldn't create, defend, or ball handle, but that doesn't mean he didn't have any value. I'd be very happy to have a player of his ability as an off the bench wing player.
And will lose a lot more games

Your assuming he went there only for bb reasons , you don’t know the kid and the whole story do you ?
I’d sure like a player whose 6’5” and proved he can shoot over 40% from three in D1 ball on the Pitts roster . I’d bet the coach would too !
I’ll let my point guard and small forward creat , penetrate and defend . If my shooting guard is a 40+% shooter from beyond the arc .
It’d be really terrible having a kid on your bench who can come in and make threes ...yeah your right why waste a scholarship on a kid like
that !

Stewart is certainly a Power 6 D1 player but then again I could see him not doing that well at even low D1 ball.

He might average around 10-12 PPG for his whole career but we’ll see.

He’s not elite/great at creating space right now for his shot yet & it helped he had other guys to help take away some defense from the other team. Wonder how he’ll do when he’ll probably be the man at UTM.

Stewart is certainly a Power 6 D1 player but then again I could see him not doing that well at even low D1 ball.

He might average around 10-12 PPG for his whole career but we’ll see.

He’s not elite/great at creating space right now for his shot yet & it helped he had other guys to help take away some defense from the other team. Wonder how he’ll do when he’ll probably be the man at UTM.
He was the man offensively at Pitt last yr . JWF put up a lot of shots , but the guy I’d have tried to stop was PS who did shoot 40+% from 3 pt range . They never set up plays for him and had to be the worst team I’ve ever seen in setting picks .

Stewart is a player that all good teams seem to have, coming off the bench. That player that is a liability on defense but can hang out on the perimeter and hit a few 3s when needed. I'd have really liked to have seen him stick around. I don't think he is a starter on a good team but definitely a solid role player..

He's gone, good luck, no hard feelings, he and Pitt will be fine without each other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT