ADVERTISEMENT

Parking/Bowl Tips from Annapolis resident

OUBobcatz

Prep
Sep 22, 2011
Annapolis, MD
Just a few quick tips - I live a few blocks from the stadium, and have Navy season tix....

- The bowl does not utilize the same folks that run parking and the gate entries as Navy games. Navy typically sells out or comes close, and it's a smooth operation getting in and out. I've been to both Military Bowls here and it's anything but smooth. Last year was awful - parking was a cluster, and it took an hour waiting in line to get through security. We missed the anthem, and finally they just let everyone through the gates at once. So plan to arrive a earlier to get your parking, and know exactly which lot your are in (there are entrances on three sides of the stadium). Also, head into the game earlier than you would normally.

- Parking: if you don't have an official pass for the stadium lots there is a great option nearby at Germantown Elementary School. They have large fields and lots pretty much diagonal from the official lot and is usually $20. Money goes to the PTA, which is nice! There really aren't other options close to the stadium except for small private house lots, etc. Parking passes are in high demand and only Navy season ticket holders have the right to buy them for the regular season. Most street parking is permit only for residents on game day. Some people park and tailgate in the park 'n ride commuter lots and get bused into the game. Parking downtown and walking is doable.

- The town: visiting downtown and City Dock is a must. There are some great haunted pub tours and stuff like that, as well as great tours of USNA. The parade up Main St is usually a lot of fun. The bowl has only been here two years, but the town has embraced it, and knows how to host big events (national boat shows, etc). Do yourself a favor a go over the Spa Creek drawbridge and explore Eastport. It's on the opposite side of City Dock (which is somewhat touristy) and more of a "locals" vibe. Davis' Pub and The Boatyard are two of the best places to grab a bite and a brew. You can take a water taxi from City Dock, too, if you don't want to walk. Parking is tricky downtown as most historic districts are. One-way streets and traffic circles. You can park at garages a few blocks outside of the main district (Gotts and Knighton garages) and walk in or take the trolley. Cabs are prevalent, too, for a small town.

- Thanks for coming! I know ticket sales are slow for Navy, but that should pick up now that the Army game is done. The general view is that it's a bit of a letdown playing in your own stadium after such a great season, but interest went up after the match-up was announced (better than NC St or Duke). Also, there probably won't be as many Mids in attendance - getting them to come back to Annapolis on their much-needed break is a tough sell!

If anyone has any questions about Annapolis I'm guessing you can message me through this site. Good luck!

How long of a walk is it from the stadium to City Dock? We wanted to go to dinner after the game at one of the many restaurants near City Dock, but we don't want to have to drive there - would prefer to walk if it is doable.

How long of a walk is it from the stadium to City Dock? We wanted to go to dinner after the game at one of the many restaurants near City Dock, but we don't want to have to drive there - would prefer to walk if it is doable.
Good idea. About 25-30 min. There's a direct route by foot as the crow flies that you can make it in 20-25, but I would take either Rowe Blvd or walk down to West St and take that in (both nicer walks). West St from Westgate Circle (where the Westin is) all the way to Main St. is now very nice - lots of places to eat, drink, shop. Also, there is a trolley at the Westin you can take the rest of the way for $1. This corridor is more the newer, trendier places while downtown has more of the pub feel (although newer places are going in there, too). The Maryland Ave district next to the State House is nice, too - Galway Bay Pub is good food and fun.

On non-game days you can park at the stadium and they trolley you down, but probably not an option. Not sure, though. Also, on game days you have to get your car out of the lot by a certain time, so be careful on that.

About 25-30 min. There's a direct route by foot as the crow flies that you can make it in 20-25, but I would take either Rowe Blvd or walk down to West St and take that in (both nicer walks). West St from Westgate Circle (where the Westin is) all the way to Main St. is now very nice - lots of places to eat, drink, shop. This corridor is more the newer, trendier places while downtown has more of the pub feel (although newer places are going in there, too). The Maryland Ave district next to the State House is nice, too - Galway Bay Pub is good food and fun.

On non-game days you can park at the stadium and they trolley you down, but probably not an option. Not sure, though. Also, on game days you have to get your car out of the lot by a certain time, so be careful on that.

Thanks for the info.

Are there any kind of shuttles/trollies/etc from the stadium area to the City Dock area? Just trying to get a feel for what we should do.

I'm not sure if they will extend the Circulator trolley out to the stadium for the game, but you can walk ten min to the Westin in Westgate Cirlce and take it downtown: http://www.annapolis.gov/government...tation/circulator/route-of-circulator-trolley

Military Bowl page answered that question;
  • The Circulator is available for $1 to get around the central business district on gameday. This trolley will only run from Park Place Garage along West Street to downtown Annapolis, at Church Circle, picking up people along the way.
  • After the game, two trolleys will shuttle people from the stadium to downtown Annapolis and back. The shuttle service will be from 5:30 – 9 p.m. with the trolleys picking up passengers at the DNR building, at corner of Taylor Avenue and Herbert Sachs, and taking passengers to top of Main Street at Church Circle. There will be a charge of $1 each way for the trolleys.

OUBobcatz,

I'm trying to book a hotel and it looks like a lot of the local hotels within walking distance of the stadium are booked including Loews. The "official" Navy fan hotel - the Westin Annapolis - appears to still have rooms available. Is there any reason I should stay away from this place? It looks like its actually closer to the stadium than the Loews.

Military Bowl page answered that question;
  • The Circulator is available for $1 to get around the central business district on gameday. This trolley will only run from Park Place Garage along West Street to downtown Annapolis, at Church Circle, picking up people along the way.
  • After the game, two trolleys will shuttle people from the stadium to downtown Annapolis and back. The shuttle service will be from 5:30 – 9 p.m. with the trolleys picking up passengers at the DNR building, at corner of Taylor Avenue and Herbert Sachs, and taking passengers to top of Main Street at Church Circle. There will be a charge of $1 each way for the trolleys.
Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

OUBobcatz,

I'm trying to book a hotel and it looks like a lot of the local hotels within walking distance of the stadium are booked including Loews. The "official" Navy fan hotel - the Westin Annapolis - appears to still have rooms available. Is there any reason I should stay away from this place? It looks like its actually closer to the stadium than the Loews.
Nope - only reason might be that it's the most expensive in town, but it's very nice. I work across the street from it. There are a couple of restaurants right next door, and couldn't be in a more convenient location. It's the last stop for the calculator trolley (the complex is called Park Place), and a 5-10 minute walk to stadium.

Reactions: Tiz and oldpanther
Outstanding! Thanks. The cost is the same as Loews so I'm ok with it.

Just wanted to make sure we weren't going to jumped for wearing our Pitt gear while staying there :)

With game at 230 are there any cool pregame things that are occurring that I want to be in my seat at such and such a time?

I was planning on getting there early walking to this downtown area, seeing the Chapel with the pope, grabbing a drink or two, and then walking back to the stadium

Normally 30-40 minutes before the game starts the "March On" of the Brigade of Midshipmen, followed by a flyover. I'm not sure what they do for a bowl game, though (I'm guessing no March On as the Brigade is on break). I missed last year's pregame events standing in the security line! There's a big public tailgate party outside the stadium that fans are invited to with bands, etc.

With game at 230 are there any cool pregame things that are occurring that I want to be in my seat at such and such a time?

I was planning on getting there early walking to this downtown area, seeing the Chapel with the pope, grabbing a drink or two, and then walking back to the stadium

The pregame festivities, beginning at 2 p.m., also will include:

• Flyover by U.S. Navy F/A-18E Super Hornets: Fighter Squadron VFA-105, the "Gunslingers"
• The Team Fastrax parachute jump team presented by GE Aviation
• The unfurling of a field-size American flag by Northrop Grumman volunteers
• Congressional Medal of Honor recipients participating in the ceremonial coin toss

Details: http://www.capitalgazette.com/sport...ilitary-bowl-notes-121715-20151216-story.html

The pregame festivities, beginning at 2 p.m., also will include:

• Flyover by U.S. Navy F/A-18E Super Hornets: Fighter Squadron VFA-105, the "Gunslingers"
• The Team Fastrax parachute jump team presented by GE Aviation
• The unfurling of a field-size American flag by Northrop Grumman volunteers
• Congressional Medal of Honor recipients participating in the ceremonial coin toss

Details: http://www.capitalgazette.com/sport...ilitary-bowl-notes-121715-20151216-story.html
OUBobcatz, great info....

Quick question for you. Due to some outside commitments I am coming in Monday morning. Plan on arriving around 9/10 am. I will have 6 yr old and 7 yr old with me.

Anyway, might be a dumb question but they want to see the Navy ships. Is there a good way to do that?

Also my plan was to probably park somewhere like Park Place garage when getting there. Is that walkable to Stadium? Looks like it on map.

OUBobcatz, great info....

Quick question for you. Due to some outside commitments I am coming in Monday morning. Plan on arriving around 9/10 am. I will have 6 yr old and 7 yr old with me.

Anyway, might be a dumb question but they want to see the Navy ships. Is there a good way to do that?

Also my plan was to probably park somewhere like Park Place garage when getting there. Is that walkable to Stadium? Looks like it on map.
Park Place is an excellent place to park if you can get a spot. It's a 5-10 minute walk. If it's full there's a garage in the Garrett Building across the street, and a city garage a block towards town on West ST (Knighton Garage) if you don't mind another 5-10 minutes on top of that.

With regard to visiting the Navy ships, there really aren't any large vessels at the Academy proper. There's a fleet of smaller ships on the Severn River across from the Academy, but I believe that is a function installation, and not open to visitors. You can see the Basin and Sailing Center if you want to see the beautiful USNA sailboats (Navy 44's). The USNA Visitor Center is worth checking out, though. There's a movie and museum in there, and a great view of town. Also, the Naval Academy Museum in Preble Hall is EXCELLENT if you get a chance. Many old ship models, war history, the original Don't Give Up The Ship flag, etc. The Academy Chapel is open to the public, as well, and it is worth seeing. Check out John Paul Jones' crypt and memorial in the basement.

Warning: you can't park on the Academy yard. To go to the Visitors center you go to the Main Gate Visitors entrance (a block off City Dock). To go to the Chapel and Museum in Preble Hall you can use Gate 3 Pedestrian Entrance. There's street parking near there.

http://www.usna.edu/images/USNA_Visitors_Map.pdf

One other note/heads up: if you have seats 1 and 2, etc., those are not aisle seats. Navy-Marine Corp Stadium does something that tends to confuse first-time visitors. Sections are split down the middle, so that seat 1 for each one section are located in the middle and work their way up towards the aisle (1 to 12 for instance), then continues (12-24) across the aisle into the next section. In summary, if you have seat 12 or 13 you are on each side the aisle. If you have 24 or 1 you are in the middle.

Last edited:
Reactions: pfffiiit
Couple things to add. I second a visit to the Boatyard in Eastport for a meal as it is casual and never disappoints. If you stay in town and can get in for breakfast the Iron Rooster right near the docks is the latest hot spot for early morning meal but lines are out the door by 9 am. Coming to Annapolis you really need to tour the Yard (USNA) and walking in DTA (Downtown Annapolis) are a must if you haven't done so already. You need ID (a driver license) to get onto the Yard at USNA. Most of the sailboats are out of the water this time of year at the USNA basin. The only Navy type ships/boats are the YPs (Yard Patrol) craft that the midshipmen are trained on and they are most likely across the Severn River and not accessible. The Westin is a good hotel and well suited for getting to the stadium, definitely better to walk from there than to drive as long as you are reasonably healthy, less than a mile walk down one straight road. For those looking for a downtown hotel (the Marriott, Loews, Westin, O'callahan are the four major hotels) and in my mind downtown is the place to be. But if they are full there are a couple of other options you may want to explore- Annapolis Historic Inns (actually three different hotels all located right downtown) and the State House Inn. A lot times these hotels are over looked, we have stayed in all of the above mentioned hotels at one time or another when our son was attending USNA. State House Inn a little more weathered and missing modern amenities in my mind not on a par with the others but location is awesome. Loews had always been our favorite but some of the rooms in the Historic Inns are awesome and the location cannot be beat for those wanting to experience DTA.

Great bars , great restaurants make it a two night trip and explore and you will enjoy the trip.

Indeed: Harry S Truman Park and Ride, Harry S Truman Parkway & Riva Road, will open at 7 a.m. The Annapolis Bus Company will offer a free shuttle to and from the stadium until 7 p.m.
We used that 2 years ago.....not bad, though the traffic on the streets near the stadium made it a slow return. Anpls is my favorite east coast spot. We go there at least once a year.

What will parking be like in downtown Annapolis Monday morning for the parade? Its a workday plus with bowl traffic, it might be tough. Any suggestions?

Indeed: Harry S Truman Park and Ride, Harry S Truman Parkway & Riva Road, will open at 7 a.m. The Annapolis Bus Company will offer a free shuttle to and from the stadium until 7 p.m.

We're staying at the Double Tree off Riva Rd. and it appears that it's walkable over to the Harry Truman Park-N-Ride. Is it truly walkable cause I don't want to risk driving at all if you know what I mean. Thanks for the tips OUBobcatz

We're staying at the Double Tree off Riva Rd. and it appears that it's walkable over to the Harry Truman Park-N-Ride. Is it truly walkable cause I don't want to risk driving at all if you know what I mean. Thanks for the tips OUBobcatz
I'm pretty sure that the Doubletree is running shuttles to the stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT