ADVERTISEMENT

Partridge interviewing for Bama DL job

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
According to Pittsburgh Sports Now.

Thoughts?

Edit: Didn’t see the discussion in the 10th coach thread.

So Bama wants him (maybe) but he's not PITT material???

Why aren't we hiring people who are good enough to move up when a coordinator position opens up?

PITT should hire assistants who are capable to move into the OC, and DC positions to minimize program disruption.

Additionally PITT should have enough confidence in the OC or DC to move into the HC position if needed.

This is called succession planning.

All major businesses and Corporations make this a top priority so they don't have to "go outside" to replace top people.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
Let’s see how committed Pitt is in winning a championship.
I understand it’s Alabama. However, if Pitt is ever to shake the perception of a stepping stone job or not serious about competing for championships. This is a great opportunity to show future recruits and Pitt fans they are very serious

Let’s see how committed Pitt is in winning a championship.
I understand it’s Alabama. However, if Pitt is ever to shake the perception of a stepping stone job or not serious about competing for championships. This is a great opportunity to show future recruits and Pitt fans they are very serious

I hope Pitt offers what it takes to keep him at Pitt ..... but, if Partridge stays at Pitt, it will more likely be because Alabama didn't offer him the position.

Reactions: sherepower
How is this stepping stone U? It freaking Alabama. You fake ass Pitt fans would critize Pitt if they signed Dabo Sweeny. Any other school can sign any coach from some small school, and you all would boast he's and up and comer. If Pitt got that same coach you all would hollar same ole Pitt, or Pitt went cheap. Damn if they do, damn if they don't.

Its starting to get real old on these so-called Pitt message boards. And you all wonder why the local players dont stay home? Why would they when all the hear, see and read from the so-called fans of the home team, make idiotic statements at every turn?

Charlie's had quite a few interviews before and now after being hired here. It is troubling when it comes as not a result of a hc change but it is Bama. Regardless he looks like he's on the path of a journeyman.

Wow, the nitters dont know what to post now.

Obviously when you dont get a promotion at your current job when one was available, you may be a bit discourage and look elsewhere.

I hope he stays, he is a good coach and recruiter. But you cant fault the guy for looking

It has been estimated that 1/3 of all college coaches will move this year. I'm not sure how to differentiate what's going on at Pitt with any other school.

Some of their movements were initiated by HCPN others were step up moves.

I have been told that the recent working environment wasn't ideal. Not having ideal chemistry among the coaches probably needed to be addressed.

Stepping Stone U.

How is this stepping stone U? It freaking Alabama. You fake ass Pitt fans would critize Pitt if they signed Dabo Sweeny. Any other school can sign any coach from some small school, and you all would boast he's and up and comer. If Pitt got that same coach you all would hollar same ole Pitt, or Pitt went cheap. Damn if they do, damn if they don't.

Its starting to get real old on these so-called Pitt message boards. And you all wonder why the local players dont stay home? Why would they when all the hear, see and read from the so-called fans of the home team, make idiotic statements at every turn?
Huh?

Take a Valium or smoke a joint.

You are really weird man. Who said anything negative in this tread?

Your probably one of those tools who think Stallings is a good coach. Which makes me question your a Pitt fan. Instead a nitter troll trying to make up some weird bullshit up.

Seriously, if he was considered TOP NOTCH by everyone at Pitt, he would have gotten the DC job, right?
I mean, a great recruiter is important, and worth keeping a slot for him. Like Slice with bball. I think we should keep him if at all possible. Obviously he enjoys working with Pitt.

Seriously, if he was considered TOP NOTCH by everyone at Pitt, he would have gotten the DC job, right?
I mean, a great recruiter is important, and worth keeping a slot for him. Like Slice with bball. I think we should keep him if at all possible. Obviously he enjoys working with Pitt.
That’s what I was thinking. He loves Pat and he loves the program. This may sound like I’m talking with tin foil on, but what if he threw his hat into the ring only to say he’s choosing Pitt over Bama and make the program look good from the outside?

That’s what I was thinking. He loves Pat and he loves the program. This may sound like I’m talking with tin foil on, but what if he threw his hat into the ring only to say he’s choosing Pitt over Bama and make the program look good from the outside?
That would be a great move by both him and Narduzzi. Perhaps, they both seen in advance how this might help our perception as a program going forward. If this really did play out that way

That would be a great move by both him and Narduzzi. Perhaps, they both seen in advance how this might help our perception as a program going forward. If this really did play out that way
It just seems odd that this came up out of nowhere today and was potentially shut down just as fast. On top of that, he put something on Twitter this morning advertising the school/program around the same time the first smoke went up. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I agree you can't complain about Partridge going to Alabama, but then there have to be some legitimate hires made to bolster this staff. We have downgraded every positron and it sounds like the "10th assistant" will be a little experienced G5 assistant. We can't have recruiting results like we've had AND lose our 3 best recruiters.

Reactions: sherepower

I doubt this, but I do think he was probably miffed and thought, hey look even Alabama wants me, why was I not more strongly considered for the DC job?

I would have done the same thing to be honest.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I doubt this, but I do think he was probably miffed and thought, hey look even Alabama wants me, why was I not more strongly considered for the DC job?

I would have done the same thing to be honest.
People on here are clueless and true Pitt fans. What ever can go wrong will. He is not going anywhere

We can't have recruiting results like we've had AND lose our 3 best recruiters.

Playing devil's advocate... if recruiting is poor, then how good and how hard are these guys to replace?

I like Partridge and hope he stays. If he stays it's because Alabama didn't offer him the job. They pay position coaches more than Pitt pays coordinators.

I don't see the replacement of Conklin and Peterson as negatives. I thought Hill was OK and I also think Collins will do well. There were plenty of people who wanted Hill run out of town after 2016.

Charlie just tweeted about the spring game. My guess is he loves pitt, took the interview, and now gained some future leverage with narduzzi

Reactions: omega and Loman909
So is narduzzi a guy that just doesn't hand out asst. head coaching titles? I thought it was pretty obvious to either make partridge the d-coordinator or if they found someone else, make him asst. head coach/dl coach. Sounds like he's staying but idk how long they can keep a guy getting these kind of interviews as just the dl coach at Pitt.

Nards has course corrected in building his defensive staff.

When he took over, he brought in a younger DC who he could mentor, the LB coach was getting his first positional coaching job, Simms and Hill had decent resumes.

His first move came with Simms. He was doing OK, but Partridge is the better coach/recruiter.

His second move was at DC. Presumably Conklin was given the "look for other opportunties" discussion (as with Peterson). Bates was never a DC, but is older, more experienced and would appear signal a continued move that started last season to evolve Nard's trademark defense.

Harley remains, Collins seems a younger version of Hill, with Partridge and Bates likely being more active in the design and game planning for the defense vs Nards coaching up Conklin.

I liked Peterman in theory, but the OL has been the worst recruited position (and one of the most important parts of the team), and the new hire has a much deeper resume.

The staff today has more experience and knowledge than the one Nards initially put together.

Reactions: PittHOFs and blk902
Partridge was deciding between Pitt and Alabama. At the end of the day he wanted to work for a defensive genius. So he came back to Pitt. HAIL!

Sounds like Alabama is hiring Kuligowski from Miami, so Partridge should be out of that running. Hopefully that is his only other option and so he stays at Pitt. It is a blow to Miami, too, because he is probably Miami's best coach and good recruiter.

Last edited:
Sounds like Alabama is hiring Kuligowski from Miami, so Partridge should be out of that running. Hopefully that is his only other option and so he stays at Pitt. It is a blow to Miami, too, because he is probably Miami's best recruiter.
Hopefully UM doesn't now try to coax Partridge back to South Florida.

Reactions: Jpripper88

Starting to get old? It's been old for years.
Shake a tree and out falls a guy who is quick to criticize.
If you want to see a movie with the patron saint of malcontents watch the movie Caine Mutiny and watch Fred MacMurrays character. Keefer.
We have a swarm of Keefer's here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT