ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Forde with the beatdown of Tony Bennett….

thebadby2

Athletic Director
Sep 21, 2003
I get what he’s saying but I don’t really agree with this. Bennett’s a helluva coach. He doesn’t get the best players and has to rely on defensive and offensive efficiency to overcome the lack of scoring talent. When he did have the talent in 2019, he won the NC in a tough year to win it.

Give him Duke’s or UNC’s roster and I’m pretty sure he’d do just fine.

https://apple.news/A5Ns9bDCBQHSmiyt4iC6V8Q

I get what he’s saying but I don’t really agree with this. Bennett’s a helluva coach. He doesn’t get the best players and has to rely on defensive and offensive efficiency to overcome the lack of scoring talent. When he did have the talent in 2019, he won the NC in a tough year to win it.

One win can be a fluke. 6 in a row is a Hell of a run. Forde is way off base here.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

A really bad take on Forde’s part. He’s a very good coach and won their only national championship in basketball.

Pat Forde is a tool.

Almost any team that strings together 6 straight wins is going to have a win or two that is flukey. Bennett's resume speaks for itself.

6 ACC regular season Championships
2 ACC Tourney Championships
1 National Title
2 Elite 8s
3 Sweet 16s

He also went to the Sweet 16 at Washington State.

Other than the UMBC game, and a beatdown loss to Florida, they generally go down fighting in the NCAA tourney.

Here's a thought: Maybe they guy overachieves and gets consistent high level effort from his team in the regular season whereas most coaches don't or can't.

FWIW, Today was a brutal day for the Wahoos in the transfer portal.

They basically lost their entire frontcourt except for promising freshman Ryan Dunn.

One of the best ever regular season coaches. One of the worst ever tournament coaches. Like Glory Days Dixon, his style is for November-February. In offense, you have to be able to score. And the fact he cant get elite players is a major issue. When he did, he won it all

Reactions: PittPoker
One of the best ever regular season coaches. One of the worst ever tournament coaches. Like Glory Days Dixon, his style is for November-February. In offense, you have to be able to score. And the fact he cant get elite players is a major issue. When he did, he won it all
Just not sure how you can call a guy who won it all bad at a tourney where people rarely win it all.
Seems to me he just needs the right team and that's the hard part

I think that despite the NC, Bennett is an over rated coach. He builds solid teams and they have regular season success….but his postseason resume is filled with major upsets

Reactions: PittPoker
Pat Forde is a tool.

Almost any team that strings together 6 straight wins is going to have a win or two that is flukey. Bennett's resume speaks for itself.

6 ACC regular season Championships
2 ACC Tourney Championships
1 National Title
2 Elite 8s
3 Sweet 16s

He also went to the Sweet 16 at Washington State.

Other than the UMBC game, and a beatdown loss to Florida, they generally go down fighting in the NCAA tourney.

Here's a thought: Maybe they guy overachieves and gets consistent high level effort from his team in the regular season whereas most coaches don't or can't.
The key word is overachieving. He's playing with a lesser deck of cards than just about any other consistent top 15 team. He does more with less than just about anyone else. The same could have been said about Dixon during his best years. And about Bennett's dad for that matter.

What's funny to me is what does Forde think UVA's expectation level should be? I mean, Ralph Sampson was a long time ago. It was a long dark winter for UVA before TB got there.

What does Forde's coaching resume look like? So tired of these buffoons who have never accomplished anything themselves criticizing others. Except for beat writers, sportswriting is the most trivial occupation in the world.

Here's a critique of Tony I could see.

He's a great coach but every coach needs great players.
But it's hard to get great players who want to play his style of hoops consistently.
But I'm not even sure if that's a valid critique

Here's a critique of Tony I could see.

He's a great coach but every coach needs great players.
But it's hard to get great players who want to play his style of hoops consistently.
But I'm not even sure if that's a valid critique
My take on that--I don't think he and UVA can attract the type of players that could succeed in a less structured, more up-tempo kind of system. Admissions standards for athletes are high and most of the top players couldn't play there even if they wanted to. They can't take a bunch of JUCOs or portal guys. So he does the best he can with what he has to work with, and that's been pretty damned good.

My take on that--I don't think he and UVA can attract the type of players that could succeed in a less structured, more up-tempo kind of system. Admissions standards for athletes are high and most of the top players couldn't play there even if they wanted to. They can't take a bunch of JUCOs or portal guys. So he does the best he can with what he has to work with, and that's been pretty damned good.
I never know about those pesky academic standards. I'm pretty in the dark on that. Good point

ADVERTISEMENT