ADVERTISEMENT

Pat McAfee explains AD and Sou-side

I think McAfee is the one displaying yinzer mentality. He comes across like he thinks that strip of bars on the Souf Side is any different than MANY other places in this country where young people get drunk.

I think McAfee is the one displaying yinzer mentality. He comes across like he thinks that strip of bars on the Souf Side is any different than MANY other places in this country where young people get drunk.
I agree with you there. I don’t identify Pittsburgh with bars and partying. I do however recognize that Yinzers are very unique. A good blend of Northeast and Midwesterns sensibilities. Mostly very kind, funny and humble.

Also, south side isn’t so unique. Every city has their drink and act like an idiot neighborhood.

I'd add that no one over the age of 30 should ever be seen on Carson after midnight - unless you got drunk (and/or lost) and can't find your hotel.

that strip of bars on the Souf Side is any different than MANY other places in this country where young people get drunk.
Also, south side isn’t so unique. Every city has their drink and act like an idiot neighborhood.

Speaking as a person who was not much of a traveler (or partier) in my "bar days", I am truly asking because I do not know other cities habits. Are other cities version of Carson Street similar in the sense that the whole bar scene empties at the same time putting everyone out on the street at the same time? The only comparison I have from back in the day is Buffalo, and with a 4am close time, it seemed people trickled out in stages more than one large sum at 2am like Carson Street gets.

Speaking as a person who was not much of a traveler (or partier) in my "bar days", I am truly asking because I do not know other cities habits. Are other cities version of Carson Street similar in the sense that the whole bar scene empties at the same time putting everyone out on the street at the same time? The only comparison I have from back in the day is Buffalo, and with a 4am close time, it seemed people trickled out in stages more than one large sum at 2am like Carson Street gets.
There are lots and lots of towns that have a closing time.

There are lots and lots of towns that have a closing time.

I understand that, but what I am asking is if everyone leaves at that time like Carson Street does. Like I used as an example, I was in Buffalo in my early 20's and with a 4am close time, it seemed to me that after 2:30am the place I was at became emptier and emptier until the 4 am close time. So could the early close time be what McAfee is talking about with everyone on Carson Street. I was not much of a partier to begin with and I never travelled at that age, its a legit question/observastion from my limited experience.

I understand that, but what I am asking is if everyone leaves at that time like Carson Street does. Like I used as an example, I was in Buffalo in my early 20's and with a 4am close time, it seemed to me that after 2:30am the place I was at became emptier and emptier until the 4 am close time. So could the early close time be what McAfee is talking about with everyone on Carson Street. I was not much of a partier to begin with and I never travelled at that age, its a legit question/observastion from my limited experience.
I don’t know that south side is that violent.

in other places where closing time is at 2, yes, this is pretty common (or at least it was in my "stay at the bar until closing" days). there's something about knowing you "only" have until 2. I lived in orlando for a bit and it was real common there, especially with warm weather year round.

I think in places where they are open until 4, it's different because it's harder to make it until 4 for most people that typically wake up earlier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT