ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Mahomes

I’m curious to see how he throws a frozen football in January under playoff pressure.

Do your own homework Johnny!

I did. And I know coaches fail with 50% of their recruits....which means they also don’t know what the hell they are doing half the time when evaluating kids ability to succeed. I’ll take my chances with a website that hits on a higher percentage of success when they evaluate a kid to be 4 or 5 stars.

There were many future stars who had one really solid year only to suck later when teams figured them out or they came back down to reality. Brock Ostweiler and his gigantic payday after a solid year or two of playing. Recent star in the making turned nonstop. Look where he is now.

I say, put in 5 solid years before you crown him the next Marino, Manning, or list a number of greats.

Speaking of TT. They once had a walk on QB named Baker Mayfield who ended up going #1 overall. Two 23 year old QB’s both played at Texas Tech at one time. Whoever recruited them knows QB talent.
PITT had Flacco and passed on him.
What a bum????????????????????
Flacco wasn't PITT material!

There were many future stars who had one really solid year only to suck later when teams figured them out or they came back down to reality. Brock Ostweiler and his gigantic payday after a solid year or two of playing. Recent star in the making turned nonstop. Look where he is now.

I say, put in 5 solid years before you crown him the next Marino, Manning, or list a number of greats.
He is on pace to throw for over 5000 yards and 50 TD’s. Oh...and he is only 23 years old. Osweiler never came close to that. Heck, hardly anyone in the history of the NFL has done that.

Andy Reed can make crap qb’s look good. He is a REALLY good/creative offensive coach. Not saying Mahomes isn’t good, but he did a great job with mediocre QB’s like Kevin Kolb, Alex Smith, Mike Vick, Jeff Garcia, Nick Foles etc. He knows how to get all the juice out of a qb.

Reactions: caleco's
Anybody who has watched alot of football over the years should be able to tell this kid is beyond special and will not be a one year wonder. He is making throws and doing things that other pro bowl caliber QB's cannot do. The only thing that can derail this kid would be an injury or his head getting to big to fit on his shoulders. He will be an all-pro this season and perhaps even MVP, but, he will be an all-pro for many years.

Andy Reed can make crap qb’s look good. He is a REALLY good/creative offensive coach. Not saying Mahomes isn’t good, but he did a great job with mediocre QB’s like Kevin Kolb, Alex Smith, Mike Vick, Jeff Garcia, Nick Foles etc. He knows how to get all the juice out of a qb.

All you have to know about Mahomes is a 3rd down play last night. Blitzing LB beats RT, Mahomes rolls left and gets cut off by another LB, rolls back right across the entire length of the field and hits a WR for 5 yards on a dig. First down. I don't know how many QBs in the NFL can make that play but it's not many.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Mahomes is a super talent. So is Wentz. The young QB’s in the league are changing the NFL game along with college offensive coordinators that are and will shift to the pro game.

If I had a crystal ball I would think that these young players will also be subjected to more down time due to injuries. Maybe shorter careers. Look at Wentz already.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Mahomes is very good. Wentz has been good too. Neither can be compared to Marino now.

Imagine what Marino would do in the NFL today. Defenses are neutered.
I think Dan would suffer from being mobility challenged now more than he did at the time. Though the officials certainly protect the QB more today.

Defenses will eventually find a way to curtail Mahomes. He's too new right now.

All you have to know about Mahomes is a 3rd down play last night. Blitzing LB beats RT, Mahomes rolls left and gets cut off by another LB, rolls back right across the entire length of the field and hits a WR for 5 yards on a dig. First down. I don't know how many QBs in the NFL can make that play but it's not many.

The guys arm is fantastic and allows him to make plays other qb’s could never do. Why stop at this play. I was watching the Chiefs/Ravens game and he makes that 4th down across the body throw to Hill about 35 yards down field and somehow 2 Raven db’s never come close to the ball. Ben throws that pass and Weddle turns it into a pick 6. The guy has a LOT of arm talent and is a good athlete.

I want to see him throw a frozen pigskin in January under playoff pressure. I doubt he’s ever thrown a frozen football before, so this should be interesting trying to do that while running on a frozen field etc. Reed always seems good enough to stay 1 step ahead of the defensive coaches, so I don’t think you’ll see the “defensive coordinators” catch up to him like they did with Wentz and other QB’s. He’s a talent and good for the game.

I think Dan would suffer from being mobility challenged now more than he did at the time. Though the officials certainly protect the QB more today.

Defenses will eventually find a way to curtail Mahomes. He's too new right now.
Philip Rivers doesn't move well and is thriving in the present day NFL. Passing defenses are hampered by the rules and as Todd Graham said 400 yard passing games are becoming "average".

He is on pace to throw for over 5000 yards and 50 TD’s. Oh...and he is only 23 years old. Osweiler never came close to that. Heck, hardly anyone in the history of the NFL has done that.
I'm not saying this kid doesn't have the potential, but let's cool our expectations a bit, I mean many on here were claiming this to be the year for Pickett.

Duante Culpepper threw for 4,700 yards in a season once. He also had nearly 40 TDs. Did you claim he was the next great considering his numbers were on par with what Manning, Brees, Marino, Tom Brady, Warner, Fouts, and Fat Head have done. That's some serious company for Culpepper. How did that turn out? All I can say is let's wait at least 5 years before calling him the next greatest QB. Stafford and Cousins both hit the near 5,000 mark, and I would say neither of them are anywhere near great.

Kordell Stewart did

The guys arm is fantastic and allows him to make plays other qb’s could never do. Why stop at this play. I was watching the Chiefs/Ravens game and he makes that 4th down across the body throw to Hill about 35 yards down field and somehow 2 Raven db’s never come close to the ball. Ben throws that pass and Weddle turns it into a pick 6. The guy has a LOT of arm talent and is a good athlete.

I want to see him throw a frozen pigskin in January under playoff pressure. I doubt he’s ever thrown a frozen football before, so this should be interesting trying to do that while running on a frozen field etc. Reed always seems good enough to stay 1 step ahead of the defensive coaches, so I don’t think you’ll see the “defensive coordinators” catch up to him like they did with Wentz and other QB’s. He’s a talent and good for the game.
It was in the 30’s last night in KC. It isn’t like he has been playing in Miami or inside a dome.

I'm not saying this kid doesn't have the potential, but let's cool our expectations a bit, I mean many on here were claiming this to be the year for Pickett.

Duante Culpepper threw for 4,700 yards in a season once. He also had nearly 40 TDs. Did you claim he was the next great considering his numbers were on par with what Manning, Brees, Marino, Tom Brady, Warner, Fouts, and Fat Head have done. That's some serious company for Culpepper. How did that turn out? All I can say is let's wait at least 5 years before calling him the next greatest QB. Stafford and Cousins both hit the near 5,000 mark, and I would say neither of them are anywhere near great.
Yes, let's also remember how gung ho people were on Kaepernick at one time as well. Yes, amazingly, he was originally hyped for his actual play...

The Chiefs remind me somewhat of our 2016 team, running some nice unorthodox plays and all the razz and dazz Mahomes is showing is perplexing opposing defenses for the moment. But NFL DCs are manics who will stay up 26 hours in a row and they will eventually figure these guys out. Well, maybe not the Steelers current DC and staff, but real ones anyway.

Alot of these cool risky plays he's made by definition usually are too 'risky' to keep repeating. Other than Brady (when he has a great OL to keep him untouched) most e everyone else is shown to be mortal eventually.

Reactions: Turdferg717
Yes, let's also remember how gung ho people were on Kaepernick at one time as well. Yes, amazingly, he was originally hyped for his actual play...

The Chiefs remind me somewhat of our 2016 team, running some nice unorthodox plays and all the razz and dazz Mahomes is showing is perplexing opposing defenses for the moment. But NFL DCs are manics who will stay up 26 hours in a row and they will eventually figure these guys out. Well, maybe not the Steelers current DC and staff, but real ones anyway.

Alot of these cool risky plays he's made by definition usually are too 'risky' to keep repeating. Other than Brady (when he has a great OL to keep him untouched) most e everyone else is shown to be mortal eventually.
Kaepernick and Mahomes are nothing alike. Kaepernick threw 21 TD’s in his best season. Mahomes has 45 with 2 regular season games to go.

Brett Favre, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees had a lot of “cool, risky plays” over the years. They seemed to do alright.

It is true that the "stats are inflated" these days if you mean compared to the past.

But his stats vs. his peers THIS YEAR is what is impressive to me:
1st in touchdowns, by a margin of 11 over the #2 player
1st in yards passing, by a margin of 300
1st in total yards, by a margin of 500
1st in adjusted yards per attempt
2nd in overall yards per attempt
2nd in QBR

You don't have to do the vs. Marino debate, just enjoy the fact that at age 23 he is dueling with Drew Brees (incredible season as well) and company for the best numbers in the league, on a likely #1 seed.

Kaepernick and Mahomes are nothing alike. Kaepernick threw 21 TD’s in his best season. Mahomes has 45 with 2 regular season games to go.

Brett Favre, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees had a lot of “cool, risky plays” over the years. They seemed to do alright.
They've also actually won something meaningful, multiple times. If it's OK, I'll wait to see if this guy can manage the same, even once.

Mahomes is on par with Dan Marino at the same age. Wentz is not even close to Mahomes.
Mahomes definitely looks good and may we’ll have a great career but you do nothing to support your case by comparing him to Marino. Maybe their first year starter production may be similar, but otherwise there is absolutely nothing similar between them. Two totally different types of QBs.

Reactions: h2p_5150
I would have loved to see what Marino could have done with the "greatest show on turf." He would have been the perfect quick release gunslinger for those Rams teams.

Kaepernick was a decent QB who played on a very talented offense that was running a system that was unique at the time. Teams weren't prepared to stop the read option. Mahomes is making throws that no other person on the planet can make. The two arent comparable

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT