ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Zeise in his mailbag thinks Stallings is gone after the season

I put the odds of him coming back for a 3rd season at about 40%.
Hmmmm, if he goes winless in conference which is a real possibility I'd say it's 10%. The optics of an empty Pete and bringing back a guy with 4 conference wins in 2 years would be really bad. Plus as Pittx9 wrote above and I agree, Lyke's statement did not give Stallings any vote of confidence.

Why wait until the end of the season? Is Heather Lyke that excited to see Stallings get those last 6 losses to get that all-time season loss record?

Reactions: FieldHouse12
I think the empty Pete is the biggest thing. 0-18 would be awful, but most ADs would not freak out that badly in the middle of a rebuild. The attendance though in a once intimidating arena is just horrendous. I wouldn't underestimate the crowd at the nc state game maybe being the final nail in the coffin.

I'm just tired of piling on now. I actually feel sorry for the guy, except he's getting paid a lot more money in a year that any of us have ever seen (except maybe gary). That demands results immediately. He needs to win out now to have a chance of gaining any confidence vote from Lyke or the fanbase.

I think the empty Pete is the biggest thing. 0-18 would be awful, but most ADs would not freak out that badly in the middle of a rebuild. The attendance though in a once intimidating arena is just horrendous. I wouldn't underestimate the crowd at the nc state game maybe being the final nail in the coffin.

But why does Earl Grant sell more tickets?

A new coach isn’t bringing more fans. Wins have to happen in order for the fans to come back.

The best chance for more wins is Stallings is back for another season with the core of players returning and those joining the program.
Totally totally disagree. Stallings couldn't win more than 4 conf games with a team of 4 returning seniors and will most likely go winless this season. Plus recruiting has been bad. And you want to have another year of this garbage with an even emptier Pete?

I'm just tired of piling on now. I actually feel sorry for the guy, except he's getting paid a lot more money in a year that any of us have ever seen (except maybe gary). That demands results immediately. He needs to win out now to have a chance of gaining any confidence vote from Lyke or the fanbase.

If he didn't act like such a dick...maybe.

I don't want pitt buying him out unless a donor foots the bill. That said in no way do I see him succeeding here and the sooner we move on the better

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
A new coach isn’t bringing more fans. Wins have to happen in order for the fans to come back.

The best chance for more wins is Stallings is back for another season with the core of players returning and those joining the program.
I haven’t laughed this hard in awhile. The system Stallings wants to use has no chance of working with the caliber of players Pitt is landing.

But the core of players coming back aren't winning, and the players coming in aren't any better. What makes you think that it will get better? One more year of experience with the guys we have now? They try hard but aren't very good. And the ones coming in are borderline top 200 guys. Not good.

Maybe in another league other than the ACC. But not in this league. And not with this coach.

You may be right. But unfortunately the Stallings hire has cast a pall on the fanbase that may be irreversible at this point.

Totally totally disagree. Stallings couldn't win more than 4 conf games with a team of 4 returning seniors and will most likely go winless this season. Plus recruiting has been bad. And you want to have another year of this garbage with an even emptier Pete?
The Pete will be empty next year with a new coach, who might suck. People thought Barnes and Gallagher were going to take Pitt to the Promise Land when they joined forces and they ****ed that up royally. I’m supposed to think Lyke/Gallagher will do better? I hope, but I have zero faith.

But why does Earl Grant sell more tickets?

At this point I think it's not so much that a new guy will sell that many more tickets as it is retaining the old guy will cause the actual number of tickets sold to completely crater. The reason that there are so many empty seats this year is no shows. Not that they sold a lot of tickets, but there have been games with more no shows than people actually attending. If they change the coach you can probably convince most of those people to buy tickets again next year. If you don't change the coach then most of those people simply will not buy tickets again. It won't affect the number of people in the stands that much (unless the team starts winning), but it will affect revenues.

The Pete will be empty next year with a new coach, who might suck dick. People thought Barnes and Gallagher were going to take Pitt to the Promise Land when they joined forces and they ****ed that up royally. I’m supposed to think Lyke/Gallagher will do better? I hope, but I have zero faith.
We have 8 wins, and 0 of them in conference. What is Pitt’s best win? This is rock bottom. There is nowhere else to go.

Reactions: clarks4life
People thought Barnes and Gallagher were going to take Pitt to the Promise Land when they joined forces and they ****ed that up royally. .
I never thought that but that's besides the point. Barnes is gone and good riddance after what he did.

But I disagree about a new coach not bringing any excitement. We get a young fresh mid major up and comer that talks about recruiting better and is hungry, I'd be much more excited and hopeful. Sure next season would be tough because of what Stallings brought here but the year after would be much better imo.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Sue................Scott..............Barnes

I don't care if the lawsuit gets tossed out. It would be a detriment to his career. The man needs to be held accountable. Also, Gallagher has to go
Our courts are already clogged up with nuisance lawsuits. I don't know what happened, but I do know that there are a number of people who should know that are equally perplexed. I expect that everything is being reviewed but the Chancellor signed off on it, so, not sure where it would lead.

Our courts are already clogged up with nuisance lawsuits. I don't know what happened, but I do know that there are a number of people who should know that are equally perplexed. I expect that everything is being reviewed but the Chancellor signed off on it, so, not sure where it would lead.
Gallagher and his Nitwit Leadership Team is a joke and should be held accountable.

Reactions: PittPoker
We have 8 wins, and 0 of them in conference. What is Pitt’s best win? This is rock bottom. There is nowhere else to go.
I’m not denying things are bad. If Lyke wants to fire Stallings and reel in one of the hot up-and-coming coaches then I’m all for it. I just don’t see it happening. My gut tells me to give this one more year as wrong as it may be.

Reactions: Black Panther
It’s not financially feasible to keep him.
It’s not philosophically defensible to keep him.
It’s become disingenuous to alumni and fans to keep him.
I do not have faith that Lyke can find the right person. I can only base this upon there seemed - from my perspective- to be a struggle finding a new wrestling coach.
Can it get worse?
Absolutely. Wait for the rebuild of the rebuild of the decline of Pitt basketball.

It’s not financially feasible to keep him.
It’s not philosophically defensible to keep him.
It’s become disingenuous to alumni and fans to keep him.
I do not have faith that Lyke can find the right person. I can only base this upon there seemed - from my perspective- to be a struggle finding a new wrestling coach.
Can it get worse?
Absolutely. Wait for the rebuild of the rebuild of the decline of Pitt basketball.
From what I've read, she hit a home run with the new women's soccer coach.

Reactions: heybandguy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT