ADVERTISEMENT

Peace Ilegomah Suspended for Year?

He has 5 years of High School here and 1 in his home country. NCAA is counting them all and they only allow 5. He has to sit out the year and loses a year of eligibility. Being appealed.

Per Craig Meyer. Pitt appealing the ruling by the NCAA.
Suspended is not the word. Ineligible is more like it. Making him sit is bad enough. He cannot recoup that year. They will only let him have 3 years of eligibility.

Suspended is not the word. Ineligible is more like it. Making him sit is bad enough. He cannot recoup that year. They will only let him have 3 years of eligibility.
So why not play the next three years and sit out the 4th? All this crap is so stupid, it's pro sports, who cares about academics.

As long as he can practice does it really matter if he was a developmental player ?

He has 5 years of High School here and 1 in his home country. NCAA is counting them all and they only allow 5. He has to sit out the year and loses a year of eligibility. Being appealed.
It is even more ridiculous than that. When he came here, the school he entered placed him in 9th grade, based on his academic record in his home country. The NCAA has decided that his last year in his home country also qualifies somehow as 9th grade, which is how they say he had an extra year.

Bottom line is that this kid did nothing wrong, and is being penalized by that abomination know as the the NCAA. They say he had too much education!

It is even more ridiculous than that. When he came here, the school he entered placed him in 9th grade, based on his academic record in his home country. The NCAA has decided that his last year in his home country also qualifies somehow as 9th grade, which is how they say he had an extra year.

Bottom line is that this kid did nothing wrong, and is being penalized by that abomination know as the the NCAA. They say he had too much education!
How does the NCAA take a year of college ball away from a kid for what happened in high school? Especially when it wasn't recruiting related.

This is bottom of the barrel stuff from these guys. Especially with all the cheating going on by the big guys that they have turned a blind eye to.

How does the NCAA take a year of college ball away from a kid for what happened in high school? Especially when it wasn't recruiting related.

This is bottom of the barrel stuff from these guys. Especially with all the cheating going on by the big guys that they have turned a blind eye to.

His original US high school placed him in 9th grade, yet the NCAA has determined, 5 years later, that the school was wrong, and he should have been in 10th grade. How could they possibly make that determination, and just as importantly, why would they even care? Do they think that his family was trying to get him an extra year of development?

Last edited:

So, if he had been in a US high school all along, and they had made him repeat 9th grade, he'd have been in the clear? How then is that different from what actually happened? Seems to me that would have been an issue regarding his eligibility for HS last year, not his eligibility for college.

Last edited:
So, if he had been in a US high school all along, and they had made him repeat 9th grade, he'd have been in the clear?

Actually interestingly enough, in many states, Pennsylvania among them, if he had to repeat 9th grade he would only be able to play high school sports in 9th grade version one, 9th grade version two, 10th grade and 11th grade. He would be ineligible to play high school sports in 12th grade.

Actually interestingly enough, in many states, Pennsylvania among them, if he had to repeat 9th grade he would only be able to play high school sports in 9th grade version one, 9th grade version two, 10th grade and 11th grade. He would be ineligible to play high school sports in 12th grade.

Yeah, I know. Happened to a lot of my teammates. That's why I could understand if that had been an issue regarding his high school eligibility, but shouldn't have anything to do with college.

Interesting and at the same time ridiculous!
Repeating a grade is to be sure kids get the intended academic foundation with sports being an add-on for most HS students.
I guess the rule is to catch the kid who fails and repeats a grade deliberately to gain a year sports advantage which has to be a rare event. Kids like to stay with their classmates and friends!
Where we live the school system is one of the better ones in PA and sometimes kids who come from other states are placed down a grade so they have a chance to succeed academically.

Give Peace a chance!

Let Peace play!

This should have been dealt with a while ago if he's truly ineligible. Really the high school/school system should be where he has the problems. It should NOT carry on to college...

As long as his grades are good enough, IMO, he should definitely be allowed to play in college.

#ScrewtheNCAA!

Reactions: Black Panther
I guess the rule is to catch the kid who fails and repeats a grade deliberately to gain a year sports advantage which has to be a rare event.

Actually it's to stop kids (and their parents) from holding back a 9th or 10th grader specifically so that they can be a year older when playing their sport in high school. It happened enough that a lot of states made a rule against it. Of course all that does is make the parents hold the kid back in 7th or 8th grade instead of waiting until 9th grade or later.

It was a long time ago but there was a kid who was the same age as my older brother who failed to make the local high school varsity basketball team when he was a junior. A week or so later he resurfaced as a transfer at a since closed Catholic high school as a member of their basketball team, except somehow he was now only a sophomore. Played for their varsity for three years. I don't think he ever played anywhere in college (maybe he played at a D3 school?), but hey, at least he got to play three years of varsity basketball somewhere. It's because of kids like that (and their parents) that they make rules like that.

Like those nimrods in the NCAA have any idea of what the content was of the courses he took back in Africa...they jump all over minor issues and turn their backs on major transgressions. They're like the Russian secret police.

So, if he had been in a US high school all along, and they had made him repeat 9th grade, he'd have been in the clear? How then is that different from what actually happened? Seems to me that would have been an issue regarding his eligibility for HS last year, not his eligibility for college.

If an American kid repeated 9th grade, that's only 5 years of HS, so you don't lose eligibility. Peace supposedly did 9th grade back home then was placed in 9th grade again when he got here. If he would have graduated after 4 years in the American HS, it would have been fine, but it took him 5 years to graduate plus the 1 back home so he was in HS 6 years according to the NCAA.

Given the language barrier and educational system differences between countries, its hard to imagine the NCAA taking this hard of a stance on a kid coming over here, probably not even knowing the language and getting punished for not finishing the American HS in 4 years.

I would guess Pitt wins the appeal on this but he'll probably RS regardless

If the intent on holding someone back is athletics that’s one thing , but if it’s academics there shouldn’t be a penalty .

Last edited:
The NCAA is a screwed up organization. There's no doubt about that. But why didn't Pitt look into this BEFORE they tried to recruit the kid? Why weren't they more proactive and more aware of what the rule was and what it meant? Pitt needs to share some responsibility in not being aware of the circumstances. Unless they were and recruited him anyhow. In which case, they're just stupid.

The NCAA is a screwed up organization. There's no doubt about that. But why didn't Pitt look into this BEFORE they tried to recruit the kid? Why weren't they more proactive and more aware of what the rule was and what it meant? Pitt needs to share some responsibility in not being aware of the circumstances. Unless they were and recruited him anyhow. In which case, they're just stupid.

No I still think it's really retarded that they won't let him play.

Who knows how good his high school was back in Africa. What if he had troubles learning the language when he got here and learning in tougher U.S class rooms?

He should get a fresh start to finish HS once he came to the USA especially coming from a place with a different language and probably not the best schools. If he was coming from the U.K, where the schools are solid and they actually speak English, then maybe I'd side with the NCAA on this. But because not, just let Peace play!

No I still think it's really retarded that they won't let him play.

Who knows how good his high school was back in Africa. What if he had troubles learning the language when he got here and learning in tougher U.S class rooms?

He should get a fresh start to finish HS once he came to the USA especially coming from a place with a different language and probably not the best schools. If he was coming from the U.K, where the schools are solid and they actually speak English, then maybe I'd side with the NCAA on this. But because not, just let Peace play!

It is very surprising that they would "count" his 9th grade year in Nigeria.

Pitt soccer was hit by the same thing. They brought in 2 midfielders from Spain. The 2 had no educational record in the US but the NCAA gave them junior and senior eligibility. They are arguably the 2 best players on the team and I'm sure Vidovich wishes he had them longer.

As for Peace, he is going to RS this year anyway. So all the appeal is is to determine if he is eligible in 2021-22 as a 5th year senior. Or will his eligibility run out after 2020-21 after his RS Jr. season.

Pitt soccer was hit by the same thing. They brought in 2 midfielders from Spain. The 2 had no educational record in the US but the NCAA gave them junior and senior eligibility. They are arguably the 2 best players on the team and I'm sure Vidovich wishes he had them longer.

As for Peace, he is going to RS this year anyway. So all the appeal is is to determine if he is eligible in 2021-22 as a 5th year senior. Or will his eligibility run out after 2020-21 after his RS Jr. season.

Who is Pitt's starting bigs then?

Obviously Luther is one of them.

Something tells me that all of the schools, including Pitt, that were seriously recruiting him were aware of this but felt it would be of no consequence, but since Peace chose Pitt, it behooved one of those other schools to bring it to the NCAA's attention.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

Who is Pitt's starting bigs then?

Obviously Luther is one of them.

Chukwuka and Brown will split time at the 5 with Luther getting some time there as well

Something tells me that all of the schools, including Pitt, that were seriously recruiting him were aware of this but felt it would be of no consequence, but since Peace chose Pitt, it behooved one of those other schools to bring it to the NCAA's attention.

Yup that's how things work these days from simple things like teams reporting other teams in youth sports for age violations, HS athletes being turned in for not complying residency requirements by other HS's, neighbors reporting other residents for building code or homeowners association violations to, investors turning in other investors for suspected insider trading, to major Corporations turning other Corporations into the SEC and other agencies.

You're right. All those other teams are afraid of our murderers row this year. They have to ensure we don't get that single conference win. :rolleyes:

If an American kid repeated 9th grade, that's only 5 years of HS, so you don't lose eligibility. Peace supposedly did 9th grade back home then was placed in 9th grade again when he got here. If he would have graduated after 4 years in the American HS, it would have been fine, but it took him 5 years to graduate plus the 1 back home so he was in HS 6 years according to the NCAA.

Given the language barrier and educational system differences between countries, its hard to imagine the NCAA taking this hard of a stance on a kid coming over here, probably not even knowing the language and getting punished for not finishing the American HS in 4 years.

I would guess Pitt wins the appeal on this but he'll probably RS regardless

Dude, I know you aren't trying to be offensive but a small amount of Googling before you post can save you some embarrassment. English is the official language of Nigeria. This isn't the Air Up There, and Peace wasn't living in a tent speaking a click language. Nigeria is developed country with a trillion dollar economy.

Reactions: levance2
ADVERTISEMENT