ADVERTISEMENT

Peace

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
is he currently with the team and working out/practicing? Has anyone heard how he is looking?

I have viewed two short clips of him. In his high school one it looks like he never touched a basketball before. In his prep one his offensive game looks as polished as Tim Duncan's.

is he currently with the team and working out/practicing? Has anyone heard how he is looking?

I have viewed two short clips of him. In his high school one it looks like he never touched a basketball before. In his prep one his offensive game looks as polished as Tim Duncan's.
Well that's quite a range of possibilities with his game

That would make him the functional equivalent of every big man we've signed since Adams. All 3 of them.
Well, if a big can walk and chew gum at the same time, you never know, they could turn into something. After all, the last 2 highly rated 4-5 star bigs we had, Birch and Adams, showed up on campus with absolutely nothing in the way of any offensive game or skills. So I don't know what you need to show to be rated 4 or 5 star. If Peace and/or Brown have any athletism at all, I'd say they don't fall all that short in the amount of potential either offer relative to either of the latter 2 when they stepped on campus.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
Well, if a big can walk and chew gum at the same time, you never know, they could turn into something. After all, the last 2 highly rated 4-5 star bigs we had, Birch and Adams, showed up on campus with absolutely nothing in the way of any offensive game or skills. So I don't know what you need to show to be rated 4 or 5 star. If Peace and/or Brown have any athletism at all, I'd say they don't fall all that short in the amount of potential either offer relative to either of the latter 2 when they stepped on campus.
Tyrone Haughton was really athletic as well.

There's a reason guys like Adams or Birch are consensus top players and guys like Peace aren't. He will be very raw, hopefully he develop, but it will take a lot of time, effort and coaching for that to happen.

There's a reason guys like Adams or Birch are consensus top players and guys like Peace aren't. He will be very raw, hopefully he develop, but it will take a lot of time, effort and coaching for that to happen.

I remember Tyrone well - He was great!!!

And hence he wasn't a five star recruit !

You have to like his athleticism. It is unfortunate that he may have to play a lot of minutes this year, I don't think that is always good for development, but we will have to see. With only three big men I don't expect that they will be able to limit him, particularly if there is any injury.

Right. He just couldn't play basketball.

If every athletic 6'10 guy
point being, just being 6'10 and highly athletic doesn't mean $hit if a guy doesn't have any skills and/or doesn't grasp the principles of team offense and defense.

Adams and Birch were light years ahead of a Peace or Haughton at the same point in their respective careers. That's why they were top recruits and those other guys weren't/aren't.

Right. He just couldn't play basketball.

If every athletic 6'10 guy

point being, just being 6'10 and highly athletic doesn't mean $hit if a guy doesn't have any skills and/or doesn't grasp the principles of team offense and defense.

Adams and Birch were light years ahead of a Peace or Haughton at the same point in their respective careers. That's why they were top recruits and those other guys weren't/aren't.
Birch was awfully limited offensively , he had no shot away from the basket , Adams was raw and struggled in JDs offense . The reason why one is playing in the NBA and one isn't is size . Adams is just a really really large human being with athletic skills , but they weren't any better than Birchs . If Birch had Adams body he'd be in the NBA .
So let's wait and see what the kid brings to the table and if he develops into a player Pitt will get much more out of him then they got from either of the 5*.

Birch was awfully limited offensively , he had no shot away from the basket , Adams was raw and struggled in JDs offense . The reason why one is playing in the NBA and one isn't is size . Adams is just a really really large human being with athletic skills , but they weren't any better than Birchs . If Birch had Adams body he'd be in the NBA .
So let's wait and see what the kid brings to the table and if he develops into a player Pitt will get much more out of him then they got from either of the 5*.
If you watch Birch's HS highlight film it showed a face up game, a mid-range jump shot, some handle, some fundamental skills, and great athleticism. If you watch Peace's highlight film you're not even sure what sport you're watching.

So if you think Birch and Adams struggled to adapt to the college game, wait until you see Peace. And you might be waiting a long time, even with this depleted skeleton crew roster. That's all I'm saying.

If you watch Birch's HS highlight film it showed a face up game, a mid-range jump shot, some handle, some fundamental skills, and great athleticism. If you watch Peace's highlight film you're not even sure what sport you're watching.

So if you think Birch and Adams struggled to adapt to the college game, wait until you see Peace. And you might be waiting a long time, even with this depleted skeleton crew roster. That's all I'm saying.

I think it's very safe to say the Peace is a much, much less finished product than either Adams or Birch.

He likely comes to Pitt even further behind where Malcolm Gilbert came to Pitt.

But you never know how quickly anyone develops. Some improve rapidly and some really never at all.

Reactions: DiehardPanther

Might be , but watching Birchs offensive skills he showed very little away from the basket in his college career and that why he isn't in the NBA .
As far as Peace and for that matter Brown I don't think anyone thinks that either will be Dickie Vs fabulous freshman ! Hope fully they'll develop into decent college players .

To be fair here I think that Birch probably could be in the NBA right now if at any point in his life someone had given him good advice. He has turned into a very nice player for Olympiacos and was 5th in the Euroleague in blocked shots this past season for the 2nd place Red-Whites.

He just arrived on campus very raw, very immature and with some questionable people in his ear.

To be fair here I think that Birch probably could be in the NBA right now if at any point in his life someone had given him good advice. He has turned into a very nice player for Olympiacos and was 5th in the Euroleague in blocked shots this past season for the 2nd place Red-Whites.

He just arrived on campus very raw, very immature and with some questionable people in his ear.
He just needed to develop a better offensive game away from the basket his defense and rebounding were NBA ready . I talked to him a couple of times at Greentree seemed nice enough .I did notice that Pitts players weren't very friendly towards him .

He just needed to develop a better offensive game away from the basket his defense and rebounding were NBA ready . I talked to him a couple of times at Greentree seemed nice enough .I did notice that Pitts players weren't very friendly towards him .

At Greentree, I found him kind of odd.

After watching that film a few times he's IMO, way, way ahead of Nix in quickness,
athleticism, ability to get up and down the floor, and court awareness. .He has a few
basic inside moves, and can hit a jump shot from the 12 foot range. As far as the
comparison to Malcom Gilbert, Peace is a far better project IMO. Gilbert had little to none when it came to Bball skills.

With all that said, Peace IMO, is not ready for ACC competition at this point.I really would like to see a grad transfer this year who could take the majority of the minutes. I feel a redshirt or a few minutes a half as a back up Center would be best for Peace.

At Greentree, I found him kind of odd.
I talked to him for about ten minutes both times he seemed friendly enough and I didn't get the impression I was bothering him . He liked the city and the school at that point , but some of Pitts players were definitely giving him the business one time . Nothing over the top , but definite jabs . I got the feeling they were a little envious of his press clippings and he was going to have to earn their respect . ( not unreasonable ) I got the impression he wasn't fitting in easily . He went up against Blair one of those times and was pushed around like a rag doll and they were giving it to him " this is a mans game " etc . We talked about gaining strength etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT