ADVERTISEMENT

Peach Bowl Musings

pitt82

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
Posting a little later than normal as I took an early morning flight from Atlanta:

1. The feeling after a loss is way worse to me than the feeling of a win. It lingers, it plays with your mind with what ifs, and it plain sucks. I know we are all proud of this team but last night's game will linger for awhile plus there is no next week to come back to. So yeah it sucks.

2. I don't know where you start with last night. I guess what's the worst part is that there's no question Pitt was the better team and had they even had Patti play the entire game I think it would not have been close. Having Davis in there, forced Salem to curtail the game plan and MSU took advantage of it. By crowding the line of the scrimmage MSU essentially said you can't beat us with the pass and we aren't going to let you hold the ball on us on the ground.

3. Speaking of Salem, just a brutal brutal call on the key third down late in the game. Not sure what he was thinking but I know what I was thinking QB SNEAK. QB SNEAK. QB SNEAK. Don't overthink it. Complete brain fart.

4. Not sure what the logic was on the last pass pick 6. You have one timeout, under a minute to go. You are at the 26, so it's already a make able 43 yard FG. Your throwing over the middle in a crowd where if the pass is caught you will have to call TO anyway to try the game tying FG. Why not either try for the end zone or just run it? Regardless MSU baited Beville and they ran the LB in the lane that Addison was going to be.

5. Defense until the second half of the 4th quarter really hung there without half their DL, their best cover corner and Hallet and Hill spending time on the bench with injuries. I mean it felt like Pitt's defense was on the field the entire game. They were gassed but also had chances to make plays, to make stops. They didn't. Part of the reason was that the pressure did not get there. Pitt blitzed enough but just didn't get home enough. I like everyone else saw a bunch on no calls on obvious holds but they weren't calling holds on either OL.

6. Beville clearly has a strong arm. When he had time to set and throw he had some juice on his balls. Just didn't process information in the pocket fast enough. The OL was not great by any stretch last night but Beville really struggled with his progressions.

7. At the end of the first half, didn't understand why we didn't take a timeout and force MSU to either pass the ball and maybe get an incomplete. they were pinned down and I wanted Addison to get his hands on a punt and maybe steal some points.

8. What a shame for Nick Patti. Football can be a very cruel game.

9. Bone head play by Izzy to start the game. Just fair catch it you can't assume the ball is going to bounce in the end zone. Come on. I think the play call to Davis would have been a first down if Izzy had it just because he's fast enough to outrun guys with angles. Davis isn't. that's why the call was so bad also.

10. I thought the stadium was spectacular. Loved it and once again the showing by Panther Nation was enormously impressive.

11. It's been a great great year. Really can't wait for next year, as I think we are going to be a very good team. I won't muse for awhile but hope everyone has a Safe and Happy new year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News