ADVERTISEMENT

Peak’s credibility gone

Not putting Dan Marino in Pitt’s all time top 5? What a dipshit.
Who are you kicking out then? Always easy to say who should be in but not so much to say who should be out to make room for him (not deserving by the way based on the college accolades of others on the list) lest you become open to being called a "dipshit"...

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Seems strange for sure, BUT how the hell did Marino throw 43 INTERCEPTIONS in his last 2 seasons at Pitt?

PLEASE

The game was far different. No one cared about this. 7 of his interceptions were hail mary's. It was an era where many felt an interception was as good or better than a punt. Junko as a punter was common back then.

The guy is undoubtedly one of the best QBs of all time... period. NFL, college, any team, anywhere. I would go as far as to say he was the best Pitt player of all time. Pitt was 42-6 in the years he was there.

Dan Marino was the reason Pitt was good. It isnt like he had a legit great receiving corpse. He didnt, he had good receivers who were far better because he was Dan Marino. Not the other way around, were Larry Fitz mad Rod Rutherford look great.

Pitt had great, great players. But Marino is definitely at the top 3. No question

Who is on the list? I know we can name four locks.
TD
Hugh
Larry
Fralic

Thanks rmf05 - there are five locks...let me add Donald.

Marino had a good season by Frosh standards his freshman year, was good as a sophomore, great as a junior and sucked royally as a senior. Yeah, I said it. Dan Marino sucked his senior year at Pitt. He had an awesome NFL career. Due to his NFL stats, his Pitt career has been overrated ever since. He was still very good but so were Cavanaugh, Van Pelt and Pickett. Actually, Cavanaugh is very likely the greatest Pitt QB of all-time not Marino. Marino doesn't belong in the same strata as Dorsett, Ditka, Fralic, Green, Fitzgerald, Donald. All those guys were in the top 2-3 in their position all-time and still are. Marino isn't in the top 50 college QB's of all-time.

PLEASE

The game was far different. No one cared about this. 7 of his interceptions were hail mary's. It was an era where many felt an interception was as good or better than a punt. Junko as a punter was common back then.

The guy is undoubtedly one of the best QBs of all time... period. NFL, college, any team, anywhere. I would go as far as to say he was the best Pitt player of all time. Pitt was 42-6 in the years he was there.

Dan Marino was the reason Pitt was good. It isnt like he had a legit great receiving corpse. He didnt, he had good receivers who were far better because he was Dan Marino. Not the other way around, were Larry Fitz mad Rod Rutherford look great.

Pitt had great, great players. But Marino is definitely at the top 3. No question
once again, the list was Tony Dorsett, Bill Fralic, Hugh Green, Larry Fitzgerald, and Aaron Donald......who are you kicking out to make room for Marino?..btw, not sure how a team with 7 losses in a 4 year span had 7 hail mary's intercepted but I'll let it slide...

Reactions: 303vND
once again, the list was Tony Dorsett, Bill Fralic, Hugh Green, Larry Fitzgerald, and Aaron Donald......who are you kicking out to make room for Marinoi?
WOW...I didn't even see the list but that's my exact five - don't know where you can fit anyone else in that group.

Reactions: pittmeister
Marino had a good season by Frosh standards his freshman year, was good as a sophomore, great as a junior and sucked royally as a senior. Yeah, I said it. Dan Marino sucked his senior year at Pitt. He had an awesome NFL career. Due to his NFL stats, his Pitt career has been overrated ever since. He was still very good but so were Cavanaugh, Van Pelt and Pickett. Actually, Cavanaugh is very likely the greatest Pitt QB of all-time not Marino. Marino doesn't belong in the same strata as Dorsett, Ditka, Fralic, Green, Fitzgerald, Donald. All those guys were in the top 2-3 in their position all-time and still are. Marino isn't in the top 50 college QB's of all-time.
It didn't help his senior season when the two starting receivers let him down. I was there and saw them break off a lot of routes, not put in a full effort, etc.

Larry doesnt belong on that list. only there two years and led us to the continental bowl. the other players won games, Dan Marino WON games..

I think Peak is spot on for college. If it were the top 5 of PITT players in the NFL...Marino, Fitzgerald, Dorsett, Donald, Revis.

Larry doesnt belong on that list. only there two years and led us to the continental bowl. the other players won games, Dan Marino WON games..
So why not Cavanaugh then? An all time record holder with a bevy of unbelievable catches who finishes 2nd in the Heisman voting on a '"team" that could only achieve a continental bowl definitely deserves it...if your assertion is correct about Marino winning games alone then he has to take the heat for shitting the bed in 48-14...

Fitzgerald's Resume at Pitt:
Biletnikoff Award (2003)
Walter Camp Award (2003)
Chic Harley Award (2003)
Paul Warfield Trophy (2003)
Big East Offensive Player of the Year (2003)
Unanimous All-American (2003)
First-team All-Big East (2003)
Insight Bowl champion (2002)
Heisman Trophy Runner up

Marino's Resume at Pitt:
First-team All-American (1981)
First-team All-East (1981)
Sugar Bowl MVP

Cavanaugh's Resume at Pitt:
First-team All-American (1977)
First-team All-East (1977)
Sugar Bowl MVP (1977)
Gator Bowl MVP (1978)
National Championship (1976)

Not knocking Marino. He is in the top 6 or 7 players in Pitt history. But being objective, he's not in the top 5 in my opinion. When you compare Cavanaugh and Marino, their resumes are similar. Fitz accomplished more in a shorter time. Fralic is a 3 time All-American and considered the one of the very best OL in history. As for Dorsett, Donald and Green, no need to post their resumes.

Fitzgerald's Resume at Pitt:
Biletnikoff Award (2003)
Walter Camp Award (2003)
Chic Harley Award (2003)
Paul Warfield Trophy (2003)
Big East Offensive Player of the Year (2003)
Unanimous All-American (2003)
First-team All-Big East (2003)
Insight Bowl champion (2002)
Heisman Trophy Runner up

Marino's Resume at Pitt:
First-team All-American (1981)
First-team All-East (1981)
Sugar Bowl MVP

Cavanaugh's Resume at Pitt:
First-team All-American (1977)
First-team All-East (1977)
Sugar Bowl MVP (1977)
Gator Bowl MVP (1978)
National Championship (1976)

Not knocking Marino. He is in the top 6 or 7 players in Pitt history. But being objective, he's not in the top 5 in my opinion. When you compare Cavanaugh and Marino, their resumes are similar. Fitz accomplished more in a shorter time. Fralic is a 3 time All-American and considered the one of the very best OL in history. As for Dorsett, Donald and Green, no need to post their resumes.
I feel like Rickey Jackson always gets slighted too. Look at his sr year at pitt, it was sick. dude had like 150 tackles.

Playing opposite of Green helps but still. If he was a year or two younger, i feel like he'd be mentioned alot more as an all time great..

Danny was 33-3 his first three seasons and a paltry 9-3 his senior season. He is 2nd only behind Hawk.

The absolute best four year record for Pitt ever.

There is no disputing that.

I like Larry Fitz as much as anyone. But he didn't stick around long enough to justify being top 5 at Pitt. Marino is definitely in the top 5. Larry is a fine person and a great NFL receiver. I don't give a flying rat's a$$ about the NFL. What he did at Pitt in 2 short years is phenomenal. But it was just 2 years and he bolted. That in itself disqualifies him being top 5.

Peak probably never really saw Marino perform. Or Dorsett or Fralic. Or Green. Did he even see Rickey Jackson play? He was every bit the equal of Hugh Green. Peak's list is disputable and is only his opinion, just like mine is. But has Peak been watching Pitt football since the 60's? How about Marshall Goldberg? Why isn't he on the list? Because he wasn't playing "modern" football??? LOL!

I'd knock off Fralic and Fitz and replace them with Goldberg and Marino. But again, just my opinion and not indisputable. Just like Peak's list is not indisputable.

And Aaron Donald should not be on the list. Don’t confuse what he did in the pros with what he did at Pitt. If you look at historical records for Pitt, AD shows up one time and that’s for sacks and even there he is fourth.

Recency bias for sure.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Pitt has produced a ridiculous number of great players in their history. Isn’t it soon going to be 12 NFL hall of famers? Why argue over the top 5? No matter where you cut it off, you’re gonna leave out some deserving players. That’s part of having had so many all time greats.

I like Larry Fitz as much as anyone. But he didn't stick around long enough to justify being top 5 at Pitt. Marino is definitely in the top 5. Larry is a fine person and a great NFL receiver. I don't give a flying rat's a$$ about the NFL. What he did at Pitt in 2 short years is phenomenal. But it was just 2 years and he bolted. That in itself disqualifies him being top 5.

Peak probably never really saw Marino perform. Or Dorsett or Fralic. Or Green. Did he even see Rickey Jackson play? He was every bit the equal of Hugh Green. Peak's list is disputable and is only his opinion, just like mine is. But has Peak been watching Pitt football since the 60's? How about Marshall Goldberg? Why isn't he on the list? Because he wasn't playing "modern" football??? LOL!

I'd knock off Fralic and Fitz and replace them with Goldberg and Marino. But again, just my opinion and not indisputable. Just like Peak's list is not indisputable.
Removing a 3x 1st Team All American, 2x top-10 Heisman finalist at offensive line, the man that had the term pancake block popularized for his abilities is certainly a take I can't get on board with.

Reactions: upj87
And Aaron Donald should not be on the list. Don’t confuse what he did in the pros with what he did at Pitt. If you look at historical records for Pitt, AD shows up one time and that’s for sacks and even there he is fourth.

Recency bias for sure.
If someone has to come off the list it’s this. Donald was a great player but wasn’t quite on the level of the others. I’d probably go with Marino over Donald as well. And for those who mentioned Jackson, he could be argued over Donald.

If someone has to come off the list it’s this. Donald was a great player but wasn’t quite on the level of the others. I’d probably go with Marino over
Donald as well. And for those who mentioned Jackson, he could be argued over Donald as well.
I wouldn't have any problem with that - that's probably the best solution.

PLEASE

Dude you are crazy. Marino was just throwing deep too much. A lot of the time it was on 1st game. The defense was so good in those days that they held the opposition after like 90% of his INTs.

Not sure why you make this statement, because he was getting booed badly for the way he played. You cant throw 24 ints as a senior. You know why Pitt never won a championship with Marino as the QB? Because he played awlful in too many games. Most games the defense came through. But he was so bad in some games where he was throwing 5 or 6 ints. I watched and heard those games. Marino was indeed bad. I think the most TDs he had was like 17. And you do realize Pitt was a very pass happy team. They were one of the few in those days that did.

If someone has to come off the list it’s this. Donald was a great player but wasn’t quite on the level of the others. I’d probably go with Marino over Donald as well. And for those who mentioned Jackson, he could be argued over Donald.
Glad to see you and a few others finally questioning Donald on this list instead of debating Fitz, Fralic or others.

Seems to be only a couple reasons why anyone would have Donald on this list, recency bias and what he’s done in the NFL.

Trying to take everything into account, I find it hard to have Donald on the list over Marino.

Glad to see you and a few others finally questioning Donald on this list instead of debating Fitz, Fralic or others.

Seems to be only a couple reasons why anyone would have Donald on this list, recency bias and what he’s done in the NFL.

Trying to take everything into account, I find it hard to have Donald on the list over Marino.
What’s interesting is if you talk Pitt players in the pros you could certainly present a case for Donald being #1. Which as you say, is why he’s in people’s top 5. But if we’re talking college career, Donald just doesn’t make the cut.

No Marshall Goldberg?

Come on man
none of us remember the 30s where 20 dental school students signed up for college football after class and on the weekends, wearing leather helmets and wool turtle neck sweaters for football jerseys unfortunately. but im sure he was great..

What’s interesting is if you talk Pitt players in the pros you could certainly present a case for Donald being #1. Which as you say, is why he’s in people’s top 5. But if we’re talking college career, Donald just doesn’t make the cut.
Well if you actually was watching Marino he doesnt make the cut neither. There was a reason he didnt go high in the draft. His numbers in college never lead to anyone thinking he'd be great.

Well if you actually was watching Marino he doesnt make the cut neither. There was a reason he didnt go high in the draft. His numbers in college never lead to anyone thinking he'd be great.
Ummm no. The reason he didn’t go higher were the drug rumors. His arm talent as they say today was off the charts.

Recency bias for sure.
But he tackled an entire backfield on one play.😉 That’s one of the most amazing images of my Pitt memories. But you nailed it with the NFL recency thing even though AD got all the collegiate linemen awards. Sean Gilbert was destructive as were a few other of his Pitt contemporaries on the DL. Just sayin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT