ADVERTISEMENT

Penalizing schools three years into the future

JS School

Junior
Aug 17, 2011
I just had an idea and was wondering what people thought.

When things like the Sandusky scandal happen, one of the arguments against NCAA sanctions is that it's not fair to the current players. Maybe the NCAA should propose that the sanctions begin three years from the date of their decision. Freshmen should have the chance to transfer without sitting out, the rest of the players should have graduated. Future recruits would know what they are getting into. It would make it difficult to hire a respectable new coach, but that's the idea of a punishment.

Just allow the current player to transfer that year without penalty and there is no problem. Unfortunately the NCAA is a joke.

Yes, but a kid is pretty much invested in a program after spending 2 or 3 years there. Most freshmen don't play much, not as big of a deal for them to start over somewhere else.

Just punish the coach if he's involved. No bowl bans or anything like that, unless it's something currently going on at the university. Hefty fines for the university would be just fine.

Just punish the coach if he's involved. No bowl bans or anything like that, unless it's something currently going on at the university. Hefty fines for the university would be just fine.

The problem with fines is that some of these schools are tax payer funded. I say punish the school with lower scholarship limits, no post-season, ban coaches, and ban seasons. I can see where the OP is coming from with the 3 years in the future thing but I think that is nice in theory bad in reality.

Let's face it in the third year there may only be 20-30 legitimate players left on the team. That would be unsafe to have them play imo. I say finish that year out and let players transfer without punishment.

The problem with fines is that some of these schools are tax payer funded. I say punish the school with lower scholarship limits, no post-season, ban coaches, and ban seasons. I can see where the OP is coming from with the 3 years in the future thing but I think that is nice in theory bad in reality.

Let's face it in the third year there may only be 20-30 legitimate players left on the team. That would be unsafe to have them play imo. I say finish that year out and let players transfer without punishment.
That's all true but the only thing I don't like about postseason bans and such is the point made earlier, why are you punishing the current players?

Take USC for example. The whole Reggie bush thing, which I've never even met anyone who thinks Reggie or USC are awful or cheaters for what happened. But anyways, not only did they take his heisman away (which he won on the field), not only did they take their bcs title away (which everyone saw them win on the field), they took away 2 wins in the 04 championship season and every win in 05... but then they punished the current team a couple years after that.

This was over something that happened with one former player, his parents, and an agent. The head coach that was there even left for the NFL right before this came out. So you're literally punishing a program that is full of people who did nothing wrong.

That is why Penn State preferred the fine to losing football for any amount of time.

The tax payers will take on their burden.

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
That's all true but the only thing I don't like about postseason bans and such is the point made earlier, why are you punishing the current players?

Take USC for example. The whole Reggie bush thing, which I've never even met anyone who thinks Reggie or USC are awful or cheaters for what happened. But anyways, not only did they take his heisman away (which he won on the field), not only did they take their bcs title away (which everyone saw them win on the field), they took away 2 wins in the 04 championship season and every win in 05... but then they punished the current team a couple years after that.

This was over something that happened with one former player, his parents, and an agent. The head coach that was there even left for the NFL right before this came out. So you're literally punishing a program that is full of people who did nothing wrong.

USC amazingly got a more severe punishment than Penn State.

That is the problem. There truly is no fair punishment sometimes. Sometimes those doing the crimes get off (Pete Carroll) and sometimes those who have nothing to do with the wrong doing get punished. I do agree taking away wins and awards that were won on the field is completely stupid. I hate paterno and PSU but even I thought the idea of taking away those victories were dumb.

USC amazingly got a more severe punishment than Penn State.

Absolutely not true. The punishment to Penn State was designed and expected to be a de facto death penalty.
- any player on the team had a year where they could transfer without sitting out a year.
- a team that took on a transfer could do so without that player hitting the team's scholarship count limit
- bowl ban for four years
- reduction in scholarship total and yearly scholarship count for multiple years

Make no mistake, the NCAA thought this would effectively end Penn State's football program by giving current players incentive to leave, other teams incentive to take them, and limiting the ability to bring on enough players to replace the ones that left. It was only through the resolve and commitment of the players and Bill O'Brien that the plan wasn't successful.

Exactly, I mean, why take Bill Cosby's star off the Hollywood walk (he earned that on the screen and stage)

You have to punish, punish severely and punish quickly. Omega is right, just let anyone who wants leave with no consequence, maybe even give them money to move everything, pay for fees, etc.

Not punishing is dumb, and if that is the case there would never be anyone ever punished. Never in history has an entire team and coaches all did something together at the same time with the same passion to earn a punishment. Heck, by your logic we should not sanction North Korea, because most of those residence have no f'n idea what the ruler is doing and just abide out of fear. Do you think the weird little man king is going hungry from the sanctions? Hell no...

The Penn State Scandal should have had a death penalty. Then future athletic departments would be well aware of the consequences of letting things go out of hand and control.

Reggie Bush should have been stripped the Heisman, he cheated... just like Bonds shouldnt be in the Hall of Fame. There are rules, and when you circumvent the rules, and are caught, you get the due punishment. For every Reggie Bush, there are the honest guys that work 2 jobs in college to help pay for things and work their asses off. For every Bonds, there are the honest players that just try to work hard without drugs to help that dont make an mlb roster.

I dont get the mentality of not punishing cause the current group did nothing wrong. It is the institution that is punished, loses money, loses credibility and is ridiculed.

Reactions: Pittx9
Exactly, I mean, why take Bill Cosby's star off the Hollywood walk (he earned that on the screen and stage)

You have to punish, punish severely and punish quickly. Omega is right, just let anyone who wants leave with no consequence, maybe even give them money to move everything, pay for fees, etc.

Not punishing is dumb, and if that is the case there would never be anyone ever punished. Never in history has an entire team and coaches all did something together at the same time with the same passion to earn a punishment. Heck, by your logic we should not sanction North Korea, because most of those residence have no f'n idea what the ruler is doing and just abide out of fear. Do you think the weird little man king is going hungry from the sanctions? Hell no...

The Penn State Scandal should have had a death penalty. Then future athletic departments would be well aware of the consequences of letting things go out of hand and control.

Reggie Bush should have been stripped the Heisman, he cheated... just like Bonds shouldnt be in the Hall of Fame. There are rules, and when you circumvent the rules, and are caught, you get the due punishment. For every Reggie Bush, there are the honest guys that work 2 jobs in college to help pay for things and work their asses off. For every Bonds, there are the honest players that just try to work hard without drugs to help that dont make an mlb roster.

I dont get the mentality of not punishing cause the current group did nothing wrong. It is the institution that is punished, loses money, loses credibility and is ridiculed.
Yeah I think that's what we all can agree on, this would be much better if they allowed athletes at schools being punished to transfer freely. They did do that in the psu case, so the crying about punishing the players there wasn't quite as valid. No doubt it sucks for the kids, but they have the choice to leave.

Reactions: President Stache
I just had an idea and was wondering what people thought.

When things like the Sandusky scandal happen, one of the arguments against NCAA sanctions is that it's not fair to the current players. Maybe the NCAA should propose that the sanctions begin three years from the date of their decision. Freshmen should have the chance to transfer without sitting out, the rest of the players should have graduated. Future recruits would know what they are getting into. It would make it difficult to hire a respectable new coach, but that's the idea of a punishment.

Do you often sit and think about child abuse scandals? Kind of strange to sit around and think sbout ways that schools should be punished more...

Reactions: Cincinnati Kid
I mean I suppose, I just wonder what’s the point? Is it bc penn state doesn’t deserve the recent success they’ve had?

Of course they dont deserve it. They should have had the death penalty.

You care about current players and not about the victims? The players had every right to transfer out. The ones that stayed deserved to suffer the consequences. Nothing else to be said after that.

Reactions: Joe Pa Thetic
Absolutely not true. The punishment to Penn State was designed and expected to be a de facto death penalty.
- any player on the team had a year where they could transfer without sitting out a year.
- a team that took on a transfer could do so without that player hitting the team's scholarship count limit
- bowl ban for four years
- reduction in scholarship total and yearly scholarship count for multiple years

Make no mistake, the NCAA thought this would effectively end Penn State's football program by giving current players incentive to leave, other teams incentive to take them, and limiting the ability to bring on enough players to replace the ones that left. It was only through the resolve and commitment of the players and Bill O'Brien that the plan wasn't successful.

The NCAA penalty was a slap on the wrist, and it was intended to be nothing but a mere annoyance for the cover up of child rape. Hence, the penalties were rolled back after a couple years.

LOL at the NCAA believing they were hitting PSU with a de facto death penalty. There was no need to hit PSU with some kind of "de facto" death penalty when the NCAA could have hit the program with an actual death penalty if they had chosen to do so. Of course, children being raped on campus is not the same level of infraction as paying players the way SMU did in the 1980s. That is far more serious than some poor kids getting abused for the sake of an old man's phony image.

Reactions: President Stache
The NCAA penalty was a slap on the wrist, and it was intended to be nothing but a mere annoyance for the cover up of child rape. Hence, the penalties were rolled back after a couple years.

LOL at the NCAA believing they were hitting PSU with a de facto death penalty. There was no need to hit PSU with some kind of "de facto" death penalty when the NCAA could have hit the program with an actual death penalty if they had chosen to do so. Of course, children being raped on campus is not the same level of infraction as paying players the way SMU did in the 1980s. That is far more serious than some poor kids getting abused for the sake of an old man's phony image.

Sheesh, there’s a lot of anger there on that post... tell me do you spend as much time talking about Larry Nassar and Michigan st or any of the other thousands of sexual assault cases that occur in the United States alone each year, or are you just really upset that penn state football was able to bounce back so quickly?

The idiots at penn state that were responsible for the cover up are either dead, fired and were in jail. Sandusky the monster is in jail. The NCAA were pus*ies and reduced the sanctions and what’s done is done. I don’t like it either but what is the point of wondering ‘what if’ hypotheticals to give psu more penalties? that’s not going to happen and comes across as really sour grapes honestly

Do you often sit and think about child abuse scandals? Kind of strange to sit around and think sbout ways that schools should be punished more...
uh, he gave a well thought out "generalized" point to make about post scandal or infraction punishment. said nothing about child abuse per se ..you are the one that brought up "child abuse". Kind of strange, eh?..now who is the one with the child obsession again?

Reactions: JS School
uh, he gave a well thought out "generalized" point to make about post scandal or infraction punishment. said nothing about child abuse per se ..you are the one that brought up "child abuse". Kind of strange, eh?..now who is the one with the child obsession again?

Why even make the point in the first place? What brought it on?

Why even make the point in the first place? What brought it on?
Why even make the point in the first place? ... Sanctions and sanction enforcement in regards to NCAA football players is a relevant point on the message board of an NCAA football program.
What brought it on? Why gee, maybe a thought came into his mind and he thought it worthy of discussion.

Any more stupid questions? I'm here all day, try the veal...

Why even make the point in the first place? ... Sanctions and sanction enforcement in regards to NCAA football players is a relevant point on the message board of an NCAA football program.
What brought it on? Why gee, maybe a thought came into his mind and he thought it worthy of discussion.

Any more stupid questions? I'm here all day, try the veal...

How is it relevant to pitt? Honestly it just sounded like another pathetic post to b*tch about penn state and whine about how they don’t deserve the success that they’ve enjoyed lately.

How is it relevant to pitt? Honestly it just sounded like another pathetic post to b*tch about penn state and whine about how they don’t deserve the success that they’ve enjoyed lately.

Pitt plays college football that is why it is relevant and intelligent folks not tainted by a cult in their lives may find diversity of thoughts and actions.....

hey, I asked for stupid questions and you obliged...If he had said When things like the Baylor scandal happen, a PSU jock sniffer like yourself would not even comment correct?

The more interesting question about relavence is why the hell are you here?

Reactions: JokePa
Pitt plays college football that is why it is relevant and intelligent folks not tainted by a cult in their lives may find diversity of thoughts and actions.....

hey, I asked for stupid questions and you obliged...If he had said When things like the Baylor scandal happen, a PSU jock sniffer like yourself would not even comment correct?

The more interesting question about relavence is why the hell are you here?

Why are they here ---> Because they have little brother syndrome

I said it before. I'll say it again. PissU shouldn't even be playing football right now. For all intents and purposes, they are irrelevant because of the child rapes committed by Sandusky and covered up for decades by the administration and the other coaches, including PoopPants. Let the kids who wanted to go to PissU do the intelligent thing and go elsewhere. They can still play football if they want to.

As for the living members of the coaching staff and administration, they should all be in jail for decades. That includes Bradley. What genius that had a brain fart decided to hire him anyhow?

How did you get so lost?

You are a PSU fan on a Pitt FB board in February, seven months before the season starts. On a thread that makes no mention of PSU in the title, in a generic discussion of NCAA penalties. I happened to be on the football board when I overheard talk about Louisville, which is why I used the name Sandusky instead of Pitino. If it would even have crossed my mind that some sensitive PSU fan would be reading this and getting his feelings hurt I would not have used any name.

It's astonishing the effort some PSU fans put into finding things to be indignant about.

Interesting topic. What if a coach at MSU knew about molesting kids and gang raping current students, but did nothing. Should the penalties follow him to his new school?

How did you get so lost?

You are a PSU fan on a Pitt FB board in February, seven months before the season starts. On a thread that makes no mention of PSU in the title, in a generic discussion of NCAA penalties. I happened to be on the football board when I overheard talk about Louisville, which is why I used the name Sandusky instead of Pitino. If it would even have crossed my mind that some sensitive PSU fan would be reading this and getting his feelings hurt I would not have used any name.

It's astonishing the effort some PSU fans put into finding things to be indignant about.

Buddy, there is no such thing as generic discussion of ncaa penalties on this board. The obsession with Penn state is laughable by some. I’m actually a Rutgers fan, I’ll occasionally pop over and see what you guys are talking about. I thought some of our fans were bad, ya’ll take psu obsession to a whole other level. There was no doubt this thread was started as nothing more than another ‘it’s not fair Penn state can play football’... there isn’t a bigger little brother syndrome in college sports right now than pitt to psu. This thread is evident of that.

Carry on

ADVERTISEMENT