ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State opens -19 vs Pitt

BFo8

Head Coach
Apr 2, 2013
Southpoint posted the first numbers for games of the year in Las Vegas today.

Seems a little high to me, expected it to come out around 16 or so.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Wow. I was thinking like 7. Wow.

Honestly, I think the teams are pretty even. I dont care that PSU won the Big Ten. They beat an overrated OSU team in a rainstorm on 2 blocked kicks and a team coached by Paul Chryst. Their most impressive game was actually their lost to USC.

Penn State is good but they are more like a #15-#20 type team that will go 10-2 because of the weak league they play in.

Pitt is like a #25-#35 team. And its a rivalry game. No way it should be that high.

If one didn't really follow closely, Pitt's pass defense was absolutely a sieve and the way McSorley played the last qtr and the rest of the season I can see why the line of -19 would appear to be made. I think offensively we will be almost as good and I have to believe in year 3 that our defense should really show some really good improvement. You do realize that Franklin would like to score 100 points and still keep trying to embarrass Pitt.

Reactions: imsteviemac
I disagree about your offensive thought. Our QB will be a downgrade this year. Our Running game will be a downgrade this year. Our TE will be a downgrade this year. Our OL will be a downgrade this year. Our OC will be a downgrade this year. Vegas seems to agree with me. I do believe the line will come down some, but will still be a double digit number come game time.

If one didn't really follow closely, Pitt's pass defense was absolutely a sieve and the way McSorley played the last qtr and the rest of the season I can see why the line of -19 would appear to be made. I think offensively we will be almost as good and I have to believe in year 3 that our defense should really show some really good improvement. You do realize that Franklin would like to score 100 points and still keep trying to embarrass Pitt.

Big number....
Wow
They couldn't have thought that was a line for Basketball??

I disagree about your offensive thought. Our QB will be a downgrade this year. Our Running game will be a downgrade this year. Our TE will be a downgrade this year. Our OL will be a downgrade this year. Our OC will be a downgrade this year. Vegas seems to agree with me. I do believe the line will come down some, but will still be a double digit number come game time.
I worry about our QB but he was a 5 star. I think our RB by committee will be good. Our OL is questionable. I do think our defense will be much improved. So we may not score as much but I don't think we let other teams score as much like last year. So to me -19 seems high. But in a rivalry game crazy things can happen and often do.

19/22 return from a team that got much better after we beat em. We lose JC, Nate, Canada #5and 2 superb OL...and that revenge factor for denying them the final 4...not surprised at all

Reactions: p45 and imsteviemac
Glad games are played on paper. Lest you all forget we were 20+pt dogs to the team that ended up winning the national title. Franklin actually costs psu on gameday at least 6 pts. I don't give a rip about point spreads. End results are all that matters and facts dictate that state penn has not beaten us on the field since 1999.

As a penn state fan that line is way too high. Have to imagine it has to do with Booksers suspension and I believe u lost a dlinemen to injury? If you want to make some more easy money they have Michigan +14 vs PSU.

Reactions: PittMan2003
As a penn state fan that line is way too high. Have to imagine it has to do with Booksers suspension and I believe u lost a dlinemen to injury? If you want to make some more easy money they have Michigan +14 vs PSU.

I see PSU -11 in that game.

Reactions: ZetaZetaBeta
Probably a few points too high, but not gonna nitpick.
Easy to forget that Pitt may have had he best offense in the country last year.
Not gonna be the case this season.
Need to win the turnover battle by 3:1 ratio to have a chance in this game.

Reactions: Crimmins27
It will change after YSU and AKRON, but Pitt at Beaver with all PSU back and QB & RB in Top Ten if not Top Five so early, it is a good number and Coach Narduzzi & Staff won't have Taleni and maybe Bookser. Until we see August Depth Charts and Starters it is going to be huge challenge and not just in 2017 but 2018 as well. Same with OKST too.

It will change after YSU and AKRON, but Pitt at Beaver with all PSU back and QB & RB in Top Ten if not Top Five so early, it is a good number and Coach Narduzzi & Staff won't have Taleni and maybe Bookser. Until we see August Depth Charts and Starters it is going to be huge challenge and not just in 2017 but 2018 as well. Same with OKST too.
Commend you guys on playing such a tough out of conference schedule. 8 wins would be very impressive with that schedule.

Commend you guys on playing such a tough out of conference schedule. 8 wins would be very impressive with that schedule.
Penn State has a tougher schedule in 2017 as well. Ohio State, MSU and Michigan are givens every year. But add in Iowa, NWU, Nebraska, and I think Maryland will be a tougher game. Go 11-2 in 2017 and Win B1G, you make the CFB Playoffs!

And Narduzzi would like to score 100 points and try to embarrass Penn State. What is your point?

Max Browne may be better than Peterman

Conner was 60% for the PSU game (his words) last season and a 60% Conner is no better than what we have at RB.

Chris Clark was a 5-star, could be better than Orndoff

Not much of a drop from Biz to JJS I dont think

Officer, Bookser (hopefully), O'Neill back

Qadree back

Aston back

I think the offense can be as good.

They need people to bet on Pitt and even it out. It will drop, a lot. By gameday I would think it will be at the highest psu -12, maybe even a little lower than that. Unless Pitt loses to ysu or wins like 3-0 they are not going to be 19 point underdogs.

-19 does seem a little high, but Pitt does have a lot of unknowns. Plus, the game is at their place. If I was a betting man, I would take Pitt with that line. However, by the time the game is played, I would think the line would settle around -14.5 ish

Reactions: Crimmins27
PSU still has some questions on defense. Also, a year of film on the QB and the 50/50 myriad of catches and his turnover tendencies are very real.The key is Pitt and is the defense really capable of stopping teams on key plays. They better but maybe not the second game.

Conner was 60% for the PSU game (his words) last season and a 60% Conner is no better than what we have at RB.

Qadree back

Aston back

All may be true hopefully...but doubtful totally true in game 2 with nothing but a 1-AA warm up.

Reactions: imsteviemac
The only other Panther game listed was Oklahoma St -4.5 over Pitt.

This is a sucker's bet. Idiots will see PSU ranked #3 or whatever, see Pitt isn't ranked, see the game is at PSU and based on that figure it should be an easy blowout.

As I said before, the average Joe (who makes up most of the gambling market) isn't going to do the homework to realize Pitt and PSU are pretty even and they certainly aren't going to factor the rivalry in.

I honestly would have said PSU -7 and I'm really good at predicting lines. This is way way too high. Pitt could win the game outright and in fact, I expect them to. If they lose this game, it will NOT be because PSU was supremely talented.

And Penn State's preseason high ranking is based on returning players who beat OSU, Wisconsin, Temple (huge win) and 8 HS teams.

That PSU team went 3-3 vs teams who didnt completely suck.

This is a sucker's bet. Idiots will see PSU ranked #3 or whatever, see Pitt isn't ranked, see the game is at PSU and based on that figure it should be an easy blowout.

As I said before, the average Joe (who makes up most of the gambling market) isn't going to do the homework to realize Pitt and PSU are pretty even and they certainly aren't going to factor the rivalry in.

I honestly would have said PSU -7 and I'm really good at predicting lines. This is way way too high. Pitt could win the game outright and in fact, I expect them to. If they lose this game, it will NOT be because PSU was supremely talented.
I still have Pitt winning this game because James Franklin is a used car salesman and will never have PSU above 7/8 wins.

Southpoint posted the first numbers for games of the year in Las Vegas today.

Seems a little high to me, expected it to come out around 16 or so.
That's right in line with what some of my nit acquaintances are spouting to me. Things like how bad of an ass beating Pitt is in line for. I just tell them to keep talking and we'll see.

Reactions: NC Panther
That's right in line with what some of my nit acquaintances are spouting to me. Things like how bad of an ass beating Pitt is in line for. I just tell them to keep talking and we'll see.
We have nothing to lose then, and all the pressure lies on them. Let them keep pounding their chests.

Interestingly, about the same spread versus Michigan-PSU minus 19-ish. Michigan lost 11 guys to the draft, but still....people are putting an awful lot of expectations on one good year.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
"Sean Miller Fan, post: 1907748, member: 704"]
I have seen Max Browne play twice at USC, he got off to slow starts and looked a Deer in Headlights but he does have the skills and arm but needs the right OC calling Plays and Execution is dependent on other Players adjusting to him versus Peterman? This takes a few Games to coordinate together as a Team. I agree he may be better than Peterman but Peterman had to learn too in 2015 Season and was ready for 2016. Browne really needs a great relationship with OC Watson and very little time to make it all happen first 4 games? Have to wait until August and YSU to know for sure? Still, a great Unknown! A slow start against PSU, OKST, and GT or new adjustments and it is up to Coaching to have them all ready. Narduzzi did surprise many in 2015 in changing attitudes and OC Canada in 2016 was a Grand Slam. Watson has to be just as good but he has key Players that can make it happen, still We Need to See?

They still keyed on JC and could not stop him at 60%. I agree, Pitt RBs are more than adequate to catch and run and again dependent on OC Watson calling the right Plays at the right time and all Offensive Players Executing like in 2016. I still like Hall and Aston blending in with Moss and Ollison,and Davis may be a big surprise? The Blocking should be there too, with O'Neil Leadership. Tight End Orndoff was big part of that success too.

Until seen hard to believe, and still needs to adjust playing regularly more than he has done in career much like QB Browne! Back-Ups needed as well in case Clark is Injury Prone! Again, early coordination of all Offensive Players is dependent on Coaching Game Plans and Game Day Execution with new Players. A few mistakes by each until they learn in Games sometimes takes more time than expected. But Narduzzi & Staff usually has them ready as seen in 2015-16!

Agree, but will Bookser be playing by PSU, OKST, GT, is just as important, he was was 4 Star Recruit and knows his Game and his Leadership is badly needed early on, and dealing with his own problems will either renew his dedication or not being there hurts the OL Team at the Worst Time early 4 Games?

Essential Bookser is back and why he let the Team down by only his actions, on the other hand, if he getting help and re-dedicated to make amends could be exactly what is needed to replace Biz & Dorian Leadership. One missed block and QB could be Hurt? then season really gets into trouble with a New Inexperience Game Day QB!

Qadree back
Yep, that is what most Teams will be working on and he won't surprise them like 2016. Still, many prepared for him and still could not stop him. Add in Weah, Matthews, and others and Pitt Wideouts with Browne's Arm should be able to score but OC Watson has to make it happen with New QB like Canada did in 2016? Davis may be a Sleeper as well and Teams can't prepare for Special RB's that have special abilities as pointed out in some Videos. Smith at Wideout and Paris Ford are talented too. They may be the Unknowns for Pitt against PSU, OKST, and GT too? Words like Maybe, Ifs, Couldas, Shouldofs, can cut both ways, Unknowns for Pitt until Pitt Coaches see it and make it happen, and Unknowns for the other Teams DC's as well. So much dependent on OC Watson & QB Browne and how they adjust early on?

Aston back
Exactly, Aston was the Silent Giant in 2016 and scoring unexpected as OC Canada designed it. He is almost unstoppable for that short yardage and Defenses can't cover everyone if Browne, Clark, Weah, Henderson, Ffrench, Davis, Moss, Hall, Matthews all are prime and ready and that just makes Aston even more powerful and special, and Aston blocking is already dependable and superb.

Agree but needs to show it on Game One, and show up on PSU, OKST and GT as well.

Forgetting one more thing, Defensive Line Coaching Partridge and Defensive Backfield Experience Talent and Depth could be a big surprise as well. So Long as the Linebackers are just adequate as they learn to blend together. If the Defense is improved and comes around then don't underestimate Pitt being better early on with that unexpected advantage against early Teams they did not expect as well?

Pitt Special Teams has been key contributions in 2015 and 2016 wins as well. They should be ready again in 2017.

We shall see many Pitt's Unknowns but could be many Pitt Surprises as well?

The Two Most Knowledgeable CFB Pros that knows more about Pitt are Chris Peak and Pete Fiutak in that order.

Right now, based on his Informative Podcasts is Chris Peak right that Narduzzi & Staff have been over achieving in 2015-16? (And to be fair that can change In August versus in May)?

Or is CFN Analyst Pete Fiutak's 10-2 Prediction Pitt can play against anyone and anywhere or maybe slips up early and late and goes 6-6. Pete Fiutak was spot on calling Penn State a 10+ Win Season in 2016.

Pitt fanfare or fate awaits in 2017?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt Magician
ADVERTISEMENT