ADVERTISEMENT

Perfect Pitt Schedule

Get as many crappy Florida teams as possible so we become a house hold name in that area.

I agree except that the fans should agree not to complain if we schedule a bad Florida team and they become a good Florida team. It's a risk. Worth it to me since our goal really should be winning our conference finally.

FBS teams in Florida outside of the ACC are:
- UCF
- USF
- Florida International
- Florida Atlantic

We're not going to go to a road game for an FCS school.

Reactions: cashisking884
Get as many crappy Florida teams as possible so we become a house hold name in that area.

How many crappy FL teams are there?
At this point a trip to FAU would be one where we hold our breath and hope we come out with a victory.

Last edited:
Under NCAA rules you can add an extra game if you play at Hawaii. It would be an interesting way to get one more game than everyone else, doesn't seem to happen much, but that would be an interesting way to add a win (uh hopefully)

WVU
-mediocre P5 program
-aac school (ECU, Cincy, Temple)
-Mt West team (CSU, Fresno st, SDSU)

No issues with home and homes with non P5 teams, that 7th home game against little sisters of the poor does nothing for anyone.

Get rid of all FCS games, abolish this horrid practice. To quote Ren McCormack in Footloose,

" there was a time for this law, but not anymore. See, this is our time to dance. It is our way of celebrating life. It's the way it was in the beginning. It's the way it's always been. It's the way it should be now".

He wasn't talking about dancing, he was referring to D1 teams playing FCS schools in college football.

Last edited:
we've already played a road game at FIU recently
I was listening to pre game on radio and the attendance was so bad, Hillgrove made a comment on the radio, right before game, that the crowd consisted of parents and a few students walking home from the library and stopping to see what is going on. I kid you not, it was the strangest thing I ever heard. I couldn't tell if he was joking or serious.

WVU
Garbage rent a win U
Garbage rent a win U
Garbage rent a win U

10 wins will get you better fan support and help recruiting more than playing other P5 teams.

Everyone in college football with the exception of Pitt fans seem to have figured this out decades ago.

That's G5, not FCS.
I can't think of a P5 team that goes on the road against an FCS team. That would basically be unheard of, and would probably do harm to the school's standing in the football world .
I know they (FIU) are an FBS team, the post I replied to called them (FIU) an FBS team. Not a P5, but FBS (G5). I don't know of any P5 or maybe even any G5 that have played AT an FCS (formerly called 1-AA) team. That would be unheard of.

I know they (FIU) are an FBS team, the post I replied to called them (FIU) an FBS team. Not a P5, but FBS (G5). I don't know of any P5 or maybe even any G5 that have played AT an FCS (formerly called 1-AA) team. That would be unheard of.

I have no idea what you're talking about?

This would be ideal to me in time:

WVU
AAC (Cincy, Temple, UCF, USF, Navy) or bottom-half B10 school (Rutgers, MD, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois)
MAC school (preferably one of the 6 OH schools)
C-USA / Sun Belt

But honestly for now, and as long as other schools continue to do the same thing, we should be guaranteeing ourselves at least 3 wins in the OOC.

Didn't someone say they wanted to stop playing away at non p5 schools? Not sure if was Barnes or someone else. But why? If we play a home and home with even a MAC school so be it. I loved going to the Akron game to watch Pitt even in a rain storm the entire game. I also been out to Peden Stadium at Ohio University and yes small but those small school stadiums have some character to them. I wish I would travled to more to games when Pitt played at those MAC schools more. Cincy was even a nice little incampus stadium. As long as they agree to a home and home. I'm all for it.

Reactions: Swervin27
University of Omaha Boogeymen
The Sixty Whiners
University of London Silly Nannies
St Brutus’s Secure Centre for the Incurably Criminal

The net is that if we don't play a "competitive" OOC schedule there are complaints ("too hard"). If we play a bunch of no names, there are complaints (boring, bad attendance, unprepared for conference play). I agree with the model of 2 hard, 2 soft. I have always liked that Pitt was willing to schedule more H&A challenging games.

Reactions: p45
I'd prefer to play tougher competition like this year than have a cake walk like PSU and others most years. The B1G is the best conference is crazy talk. I mean chubby boy Paul Chryst and who does less with more than Jim "Can I sleepover" Harbaugh.

I'd prefer to play tougher competition like this year than have a cake walk like PSU and others most years. The B1G is the best conference is crazy talk. I mean chubby boy Paul Chryst and who does less with more than Jim "Can I sleepover" Harbaugh.
you still have to mention though that the Big 10 plays 9 conference games. you look at MSU, they play 9 FCS teams in division then play ASU then Central Mich and Utah St. So that's 10 FCS games and two respectable D1 teams (see no FBS teams). UMD plays Texas then bowling green and temple (see no FBS teams), osu plays Oregon st. Tulane and TCU, MIch plays ND, WMU and SMU.

I just don't see this broad brush statement with the big 10 having joke schedules as being all that accurate. Chryst/Wiscy excluded, although they do have the Irish on future schedules.. If anything, shame on the ACC for not going to a 9 game conference schedule and continuing this FBS scrimmage nonsense, something the Big 10 is getting away from as well.

they stopped doing it when they went to 9 conference games. there is one loophole when you do it though, if you find yourself with only 4 home conference games, you can do it..

Reactions: California Panther
Sunbelt school
Low tier SEC
Temple
AAC school

Thoughts?
Thoughts? That would be dumb. Really dumb. Why would we schedule even that tough, with no incentive or respect for wins and embarrassment if we lose? Play the worst schools you can get and, at most, 1 legitimate opponent OOC. Ideally that opponent would be ND, WVU, or PSU so we can sell some tickets.

Thoughts? That would be dumb. Really dumb. Why would we schedule even that tough, with no incentive or respect for wins and embarrassment if we lose? Play the worst schools you can get and, at most, 1 legitimate opponent OOC. Ideally that opponent would be ND, WVU, or PSU so we can sell some tickets.
JRip, 95% of P5 schools are playing 10 P5 teams per year. its football, you are supposed to play teams on the same level as you. enough with this 3 scrimmages per year to get wins nonsense, it's dumb and no one in their right mind wants this.

In the end, this will all be about the conference.
Bowl games are tied into conference play. We can schedule these easy wins. But if we are going .500 in conference play, we are still going to El Paso in December.
If we aren't going .500 in conference play, then you'd hate to see that ruined because we loaded up on a brutal out of conference schedule.

In the end, this will all be about the conference.
Bowl games are tied into conference play. We can schedule these easy wins. But if we are going .500 in conference play, we are still going to El Paso in December.
If we aren't going .500 in conference play, then you'd hate to see that ruined because we loaded up on a brutal out of conference schedule.
this strategy of 3-4 scrimmages in sept do nothing but try and sugar coat a poor team, that's it. if we suck, then we suck. because we beat 2 fcs teams and a poor aac team doesn't change that. so we sneak to 6 wins despite going 2-6 in ACC, great, those extra practices in December for the redshirt freshmen will pay HUGE dividends..

this strategy of 3-4 scrimmages in sept do nothing but try and sugar coat a poor team, that's it. if we suck, then we suck. because we beat 2 fcs teams and a poor aac team doesn't change that. so we sneak to 6 wins despite going 2-6 in ACC, great, those extra practices in December for the redshirt freshmen will pay HUGE dividends..

I agree with some of that. I've always said I do not buy into the idea that you can use smoke and mirrors to fool the country into thinking you're good. You have to actually be good.
But it's possible for us to be good but still lose a bunch of games out of conference if we play a brutal out of conference schedule. Simply saying, "lets just get good" still doesn't mean the schedule can't cheat you out of having a good season even when you are good.

Reactions: Jpripper88
In a perfect world, Pitt should play Penn State and West Virginia every year. The on other could be. Close AAC team lik Cincinnati o Temple. Finally, a gam with a team from Conference USA (Rice, UAB, etc.) or from the MAC (Ohio, Akron, etc.) I know this can't happen, but who know?

JRip, 95% of P5 schools are playing 10 P5 teams per year. its football, you are supposed to play teams on the same level as you. enough with this 3 scrimmages per year to get wins nonsense, it's dumb and no one in their right mind wants this.
No, they aren't.

I agree with some of that. I've always said I do not buy into the idea that you can use smoke and mirrors to fool the country into thinking you're good. You have to actually be good.
But it's possible for us to be good but still lose a bunch of games out of conference if we play a brutal conference schedule. Simply saying, "lets just get good" still doesn't mean the schedule can't cheat you out of having a good season even when you are good.
Yeah, this is a different issue entirely. Sure, it would still be a lot better to have an easy OOC and be 6-6, instead of 4-8, but it is also a big help in reputation to be 10-2 (6-2) than 8-4 (6-2). Nationally that plays much, much better and will certainly help with recruiting. No one in their right mind would think different.

No, they aren't.

Yeah, this is a different issue entirely. Sure, it would still be a lot better to have an easy OOC and be 6-6, instead of 4-8, but it is also a big help in reputation to be 10-2 (6-2) than 8-4 (6-2). Nationally that plays much, much better and will certainly help with recruiting. No one in their right mind would think different.

10-2 plays nationally IF the schedule is competitive. Anyone with a brain cell will dismiss the record if it is built on 7-8 opponents with even or losing records let alone getting taken to the shed in a bowl game. Our conference schedules are not difficult.

No, they aren't.

JRIP, big 10 pretty much mandates it (although for some weird reason they include Army and a few AAC schools as P5 which is weird), most conferences play 9 game conference schedule already so yeah, 1 OOC game is usually against a P5 team. I really don't want to go thru every schedule so maybe 95% is high but I'd be very confident in saying it's well over 75%..

Ill see what I can find out..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT